Ellenville, NY - Village OKs Gambling Casino for Old Nevele Resort

Published on: March 4, 2012 07:22 PM
By: Read more at Mid-Hudson News

Ellenville, NY - The Wawarsing Town Board is squarely behind developing casino gambling in the soon-to-be revived Nevele Hotel.

The town board voted Thursday night to support the state legislation that would allow casino gaming in New York. The local board added that it supports casino gaming in Ulster County and that any such facility should be located in Wawarsing.

Town Councilman John Gavaris said the developers of the Nevele want to retain the name and image of the hotel with its skiing and hiking trails, but also wants to add the casino, which he said would be a “lifeline” for the economy of the area with its projected 2,000 direct jobs and 3,000 indirect jobs.

New York - Police brass pushing arrest and ticket quotas could find themselves in jail for up to a year under a bill that state Sen. Michael Gianaris (D-Queens) plans to... Memphis, TN - Intensifying debate over conservative social values — and Republican icon Rush Limbaugh — overshadowed the nation's economic concerns Sunday as the...

Mar 04, 2012 at 08:52 PM Anonymous Says:

I remember summers at the Nevele when I grew up in NYC 40 years ago. It was among the top borscht belt destinations for the "upper end" heimeshe families who didn't do the bungalow colony gig. It will be nice to see it reincarnated as a casino which can provide frum bochurim who live in Sullivan county with some entry level job opportunities and also offer some entertainment for tourists on motzi shabbos during the summers (whereas today the only thing to do after havdalah is go to the kosher pizzeriza).

Mar 04, 2012 at 09:34 PM Anonymous Says:

It will invite the low class people to elenville.

Mar 04, 2012 at 09:39 PM kehati Says:

How appropriate - to participate in the aveirah of mesachek b'kuvyah at a place called the neveilah!

Mar 04, 2012 at 11:16 PM OyGevald Says:

To #1, a freilichen Purim to you too.
Glad you were able to get an early start to your drinking.

Mar 04, 2012 at 11:24 PM Nussi Says:

To. Number one would you want your son to work in such environment I know I wouldn't nor would any frum person

Mar 04, 2012 at 11:31 PM Anonymous Says:

It will invite the low class people to elenville.

“ It will invite the low class people to elenville.”
Azoy...in contrast to the really "high-class" yidden who populate those run down bungalows in Elenville in the summer

Mar 05, 2012 at 02:19 AM ALLAN Says:

If this goes thru, Ulster County has one upped Sullivan County.

Mar 05, 2012 at 02:26 AM Aron1 Says:

Everytime there's an article about casinos in the "country" you pipe up about how "wonderful" it would be for the young bochurim and what a "great" place it would be to go for entertainment. ARE YOU KIDDING?!! This would be a TRAVESTY! (Full disclosure: I have investment real estate in that area and would likely experience a tremendous windfall were gambling come to that region, and yet, I am still steadfast against gambling in upstate New York).

Mar 05, 2012 at 07:49 AM SherryTheNoahide Says:

Aron1 Says:

"Full disclosure: I have investment real estate in that area and would likely experience a tremendous windfall were gambling come to that region, and yet, I am still steadfast against gambling in upstate New York."

Good for you! It's nice to see people refuse to sell out their principles, all in the interest of making a buck. I too have been floored the times I have seen supposedly religious people get on here & talk about how "exciting" having a Casino coming to town would be!

I got news for ya: I live 3 different cities, all connected together by bridges, and in EACH city, there are 2-3 casinos! No joke! There are 8 w\in driving distance of my home, and I don't know a SINGLE person who hasn't been affected by their existence!

And I've had 2 personal friends of mine lose almost everything to throwing away their money on gambling ventures! One of them had his car repossessed, simply because he wasn't making the payment anymore! Gambling is NO different of an addiction than anything else! Anybody can get started on it innocently... and end up losing it all!

As far as I'm concerned, everyone WISHING for a Casino to come to town, might as well WISH for cocaine to come too.

Mar 05, 2012 at 09:17 AM Anonymous Says:

It will invite the low class people to elenville.

for your information elenville already has many low class people.

Mar 05, 2012 at 10:16 AM ALLAN Says:

SherryTheNoahide Says:

There are liquor stores everywhere in NYS, has that made everyone an alcoholic? It is nothing more than personal self restraint that makes the difference.You have talked about the need for jobs for the little guy. Unless you know how repressed this area and surrounding areas are you really can't appreciate how much a casino will do for the local unemployment situation. The former Nevele Hotel and dozens of others provided year round work for thousands of regular folks who have been struggling since they all folded.
It's no shocker that those hell bent on gambling will find somwhere else to go. Connecticut and Pennsylvania as well as Atlantic City, NJ are getting bus loads of New Yorkers daily. You have stated that you are out west and probably don't know the Catskills (Sullivan and Ulster Counties) these counties are hurting big time. This has nothing to do with religion. Those whose faith ( any faith) is deep enough and whose personal strengths are also will stay away or limit their activities.

Mar 05, 2012 at 10:43 AM Anonymous Says:

Aron1 Says:

Yes. I am serious.n There are virtually no job opportunities in this area. We have seen that many Atlantic City hotels have hired frum boys and girls for entry level jobs in accounting, computre programming, etc. which do not raise issues about tzinius etc. and also provide flexible hours which is important to those who are shomrei shabbos. As to entertainment, in moderation, there is nothing wrong with some recreational gambling.

Mar 05, 2012 at 11:15 AM Anonymous Says:

Aron1 Says:

Ok..you're a business person with investments in that area. Are you going to walk away should those investments bloom into something very profitable because a casino and gambling were the catalist for that success. Be honest, will you hold on a need for profit versus your steadfast objections to gambling?

Mar 05, 2012 at 11:29 AM Anonymous Says:

This would be a great addition to the landscape of the Catskills were the yingerleit can hold a job and earn a few dollars during the summer months.

Mar 05, 2012 at 12:47 PM Anonymous Says:

Agreed...go to Atlantic City motzi shabbos and you'll see plenty of erhliche yidden from Lakewood at the tables and slots. They generally are well behaved and not nearly as boisterous as the goiyeshe gamblers.

Mar 05, 2012 at 01:43 PM SherryTheNoahide Says:

ALLAN Says:

Allan, I actually agree with you that we don't need to "legislate morality", and use the gov't as a "Big Brother", telling everyone how to live their personal lives. And heck, even with me as a Liberal & you as a Conservative... we can actually probably AGREE on this principle, even though it comes out looking like we don't agree, come voting season.

So my point wasn't necessarily to say that these places should be BANNED from coming into town. Hey, if they can get a license to open up & the community WANTS it... more power to them. I AM for jobs for the little guy & I'm actually NOT afraid of Free Enterprise, despite what some on here think. (LOL)

But my whole point was to say that I felt horrified to see so many RELIGIOUS people come on here & say how "exciting" it would be for the town, the commerce, etc. etc., without even ONCE mentioning the potential dangers to everyone's neshamos once an establishment like that moves in.

BOTH places have a high potential to destroy marriages & lives.

Just sayin.

Mar 05, 2012 at 05:31 PM PMOinFL Says:

It will invite the low class people to elenville.

If by "low class" you mean people jobs, vacation time and plenty of disposable income, then I think you need to re-assess your definition of "low class".

Mar 06, 2012 at 12:37 AM ALLAN Says:

SherryTheNoahide Says:

BOTH places have a high potential to destroy marriages & lives.

Just sayin.

"To me, having a Casino move into town... you might as well have a topless bar, or some other offensive thing like that, move into town as well! What's the difference?!"
I can respect your opinion but must disagree. I again say the issues aren't religious but personal morality or to be more opened minded adult choices. I have never heard of a Casino or Topless bar sending people to grab cutomers in from the street.
Restraint is an issue, people either have it or not. I occasionally go the a Casino but gamble only to amuse myself and pre set my spending to what I can afford to lose. As for the topless bars, I rather not cast my opinions on this forum.