New York, NY - Bloomberg Proposing New Legislation for Smoking in Residential Buildings

Published on: April 18, 2012 08:13 AM
By: Read full article at Wall Street Journal
Photo courtesy AP/Office of the Mayor, Ed Reed.Photo courtesy AP/Office of the Mayor, Ed Reed.

New York, NY - Mayor Michael Bloomberg on Wednesday plans to propose legislation that would require residential buildings to adopt written policies on where smoking is permitted or prohibited and disclose those rules to prospective tenants and owners, a move that officials predict could increase the number of smoke-free apartment buildings in New York City.

“We think that people ought to know whether they might be exposed to second-hand smoke in their apartment before they decide whether to rent or buy,” said Dr. Thomas Farley, commissioner of the city’s Department of Health and Mental Hygiene, in an interview with The Wall Street Journal. “We know that second-smoke can go from one apartment to the other and that it can get at levels that are high enough to have health risks.”

Manhattan, NY - The Intrepid Sea, Air and Space Museum on Wednesday morning is moving three aircrafts from its flight deck to make room for the space shuttle... Brussels - The head of a top European Jewish group says he fears a wave of violence against local communities if Israel attacks Iran. Moshe Kantor, head of the...

Apr 18, 2012 at 08:41 AM Anonymous Says:

So now you can't walk in the street because of all the sekfish people with their cancer sticks in their mouths blowing their toxic poison into the lungs of our children. R'L

Apr 18, 2012 at 09:28 AM End Smoking Now Says:

Smoker may have rights; however, their rights extend from the top of their heads, to the bottom of their feet. The minute that their smoke begins to emanate in other people's direction, their rights effectively cease. In 1988, nearly a quarter of a century ago, the 40 story skyscraper that I was working in, was probably the first commercial office building in the world, to ban smoking in the entire building. The smokers were not too happy about it, and they tried to sneak in a smoke in the rest rooms, and on the stairwells. However, they were caught, and dealt with. Then, they tried to stand in front of the building and smoke. They were advised to smoke on the side of the building, and allow people entering and exiting the building to breath clean air.

Apr 18, 2012 at 09:36 AM DACON9 Says:

(((( COUGH ))))
(((COUGH))))
CHUCGGGG
UCHHHH
UCHHHAHHHH

SORRY, FOR A MOMENT I COULDN'T BREATHE
what did you say again?

Apr 18, 2012 at 10:26 AM Chaim Says:

As I stated in previous posts regarding this matter: I just paid $11 for a pack-o-smokes... may I please smoke it in peace!

Apr 18, 2012 at 10:45 AM shimonyehuda Says:

Chaim Says:

yes just not in public or in private

Apr 18, 2012 at 10:55 AM Moshe Says:

Chaim Says:

If you are foolish enough to watch that much money go up in smoke do not make us suffer too. By the way, I hope you have your own health insurance and not making us pay for yopur self inflicted illness.

Apr 18, 2012 at 12:01 PM mewhoze Says:

i dont smoke but i have a problem with this.
i have walked into apartment buildings and office buildings that smell from incense burning. i dont see any laws out against that . same for scented candles. both of those smells give me headaches and make me cough. why arent they part of the picture as well?
i have been to public parks and zoos where there were designated smoking areas away from the attractions. i think that is a good compromise for these places.
there is too much control being taken from us. it feels as if we are not living in the land of the free anymore.
soon we will not be able to walk and chew gum at the same time. everything will be on a list of rules that we must follow. i didnt sign up to be in the army...i dont want these rules shoved down my throat

Apr 18, 2012 at 12:14 PM ARI Says:

I can't understand the frum people on this site, who smoke, and justify smoking. I thought that according to Halacha, one must not endanger their health? How then, do frum people justify smoking? Can someone explain that phenomenon?

Apr 18, 2012 at 12:46 PM shprintzyobermeister Says:

Smoking is against halacha and is especially wrong when it bothers other people. As a not-yet frum jew, Michael Blumberg will get alot of s'char in shamayim for standing up for this very great mitzva

Apr 18, 2012 at 12:47 PM Butterfly Says:

I live in an apt. bldg. The people on top and under me both smoke. I do not. All apts. have hardwood floors so the smoke goes through the cracks. I sometimes think that I live in Pittsburgh!! My kid now has asthma!! When we moved in the bldg was all American. Now the Americans are a minority!! The bldg is now all Russian and arab!! Who can you fight?? City hall??

Apr 18, 2012 at 12:49 PM Anonymous Says:

I think this is ridiculous. I live on the 3rd floor with non-smokers on all sides and when I open the window, I get smoke smells from the street.

Should current tenants/owners be made aware of non-smoking areas in the building? Absolutely. But I think that the signs already posted in those areas make that clear and we don't really need to have it legislated. Prospective tenants/owners? Well, if these people don't check out the building before signing on the dotted line, then that's their problem.

The smell of smoke is a problem, but there's a few other things to consider: I lived in an apartment building where every Thursday afternoon, someone in the building would cook fish for dinner. The stench of not-so-fresh fish would hit you when you opened the front door to the building. Do we need to legislate against bad food odors?

I currently live in a building with some smokers. There's no smoking in the hallways or elevator, but most smokers have lost their sense of smell, so they don't realize that they smell like old cigarettes & that the smell carries into the elevator. Do we need to legislate that all smokers have to take a shower before getting into an elevator?

Apr 18, 2012 at 01:47 PM Avreich1 Says:

Chaim Says:

$11?? Why don't you buy a pouch of tobacco and some cigarette papers?

Then you will be able to rolls your own cigarettes, thus saving $$$, and kill yourself even quicker than you can do now.

Apr 18, 2012 at 01:55 PM Chaim Says:

shimonyehuda Says:

yes just not in public or in private

Not 'in private'??? Care to explain??? You're self-centered and ignorant!

Apr 18, 2012 at 02:02 PM Chaim Says:

Moshe Says:

Am I the only one here minding my own business? Ain't this a free country? Bloomberg raised the taxes to tie my hands and have me quit. If that doesn't work, he want's me smoking where he feels comfortable? We don't smoke in your home, car, or in your face for that matter. My health and my money is my concern, and you should be more concerned with what you inhale from gas- driven motor vehicles!

Apr 18, 2012 at 05:28 PM ShmuelG Says:

Chaim Says:

Oh, you may smoke in peace, Chaim. But think of this. $11/pack? If you know how to bargain hunt, you can get a very decent cigar for this money. You rarely need more than one a day. And the pleasure is immense! The wonderful aroma of the decent cigar can't be described, it must be experienced. And the value of the good mood and happiness... Not trying to convince you of my preferences, but give it a thought. And a try.

Apr 18, 2012 at 06:16 PM Facts1 Says:

Smoking may be bad, but the exhaust pipe of one vehicle is gives 1000 times more pollution and smoke then 1 cigarette, stop the bluff.

Second hand smoke is open is an exaggerated invention of the ant-smoking lobby.

Mr Mayor can you just take care of more important problems, like rats in the subways and the one in Gracy mansion. Or just leave it all alone and get me back my train service the way it was before you took office.

Apr 18, 2012 at 10:07 PM qazxc Says:

Chaim Says:

I don't mind if you smoke, so long as you don't exhale.

Apr 18, 2012 at 10:23 PM qazxc Says:

ShmuelG Says:

Cigars? Feh!

A sweet, mellow pipe tobacco on the other hand........

Apr 20, 2012 at 12:20 AM Anonymous Says:

#16: The ant-smoking lobby? How do you check cigarettes for bugs?