Florida - Zimmerman's Website Raised More Than $200,000 for His Defense

Published on: April 26, 2012 09:10 PM
By: AP
AP Photo | BRIAN BLANCOAP Photo | BRIAN BLANCO

Florida - George Zimmerman’s attorney says a website created to raise money for his legal defense has raised more than $200,000.

Mark O’Mara said on CNN’s Anderson Cooper 360 Thursday night that he learned about the money on Wednesday and will inform a judge at a Friday hearing.

Zimmerman, who has been charged with second-degree murder in the Feb. 26 shooting of Trayvon Martin, was released from jail this week after paying 10 percent of $150,000 bail.

O’Mara says the bail amount may have been higher if the judge knew Zimmerman had raised $200,000.

The website used to raise the money has since been shut down, but O’Mara said he’ll likely start a new defense fund for Zimmerman.

O’Mara did not immediately return a Thursday evening phone message by The Associated Press.

New York - State Attorney General Eric Schneiderman is seeking action against Verizon New York over mounting complaints of poor repair service for millions of its... New York -Wal-Mart shoppers now will be able to pay cash for online purchases. The world's largest retailer on Thursday said it will allow shoppers to buy items on...

You can now automatically hide comments - New!

Don't worry, you can always display comments when you need to.

Apr 26, 2012 at 10:01 PM Facts1 Says:

Way to go.

If zimmerman needs to be tried, he should get real justice, not one meant to appease.

Apr 26, 2012 at 09:40 PM Rachel W. Says:

Why does everything need to publicized? This bit of info will just serve to rile his critics. They can pat themselves on the back as much as they want (over the show of support from his defenders) but it won't do anything to mitigate the rage of his accusers. Personally (as if anyone out there gives a darn) I tend to feel that as tragic as this episode is, Zimmerman is horrified at what transpired that day and never meant to kill anyone. Contrary to some lowlives who spend their days and nights on the prowl looking to rip off anyone they could, Zimmerman's history shows him to be a get-up-and-go kind of guy who cared to educate himself and be a decent wage-earner - not to mention help the needy, which included people of all color, including blacks.

Apr 27, 2012 at 12:34 AM PMOinFL Says:

Facts1 Says:

Way to go.

You're right.

I do believe that the evidence (that we know about today) is pretty alarming and to me it appears that Zimmerman is guilty. However, I am absolutely prepared to have my opinion changed. I really want to see as much evidence as possible presented and argued. For a proper trial, Zimmerman will need the best defense and I think he should get it.... guilty or not.

Apr 27, 2012 at 01:27 AM NewsLover Says:

This whole thing is a set up, they were affraid that the protesters will keep on like years ago when a black woman claimed that 10 white people took care of her so they decided to play the game cool, but in the end they will let him go free, and he will have to find a secured place to live.

Apr 27, 2012 at 08:02 AM Anonymous Says:

Politiicians as well as the news media never address the issue of Black against White violent crime, which statistically is fifty times more prevalent than White against Black crime. Secondly, Zimmerman needs that money to pay for his living expenses, plus security for himself and his family, as well as legal fees. Alan Dershowitz has stated that the special prosecutor in this case, withheld evidence which would have benefited the defense; yet, she went ahead with her trumped up charge.

Apr 27, 2012 at 09:29 AM Anonymous Says:

PMOinFL Says:

You're right.

Really, what evidence do ypu have that zimmerman is guilty of 2nd degree murder.

Apr 27, 2012 at 09:56 AM AKIVAF Says:

He needs to spend some of that money and get a robust web site that will not crash with megatraffic and then he may well earn a million $.

Apr 27, 2012 at 10:14 AM Anonymous Says:

Al Sharpton said so. That's all the leftists need to hear.

Apr 27, 2012 at 10:15 AM PMOinFL Says:

1. He carried a gun in violation of the neighborhood watch rules.
2. He knew full-well that he had psychological issues, as he had been rejected no less than 5 times from the police academy due to "psychological" and "temperament" issues.
3. He took this job because he wanted to feel like a cop (most of his school friends became cops, including the ones who "lost" the physical evidence).
4. He broke the neighborhood watch rules by pursuing Trayvon. The bylaws of the community state that the watch will "observe and report", not "stalk with a gun".
5. The police dispatcher specifically told him NOT to follow, but he did so anyway.

He made the CHOICE to stalk the kid (even after being instructed not to). He made the CHOICE to break the rules and carry his gun that night.

Manslaughter implies a "heat of the moment" reaction. This was not. This was a series of ego-driven choices made by Zimmerman.

His arrogance and obsession with being a "cop" led to this boy's death.

If I were Trayvon, and some strange man with a gun were stalking me down a dark street with a gun, I would assume he was a rapist or mugger and Zimmerman would be dead as I carry and I'm not afraid to use it.

Apr 27, 2012 at 10:22 AM PMOinFL Says:

This case has nothing to do with "big picture" issues like black-on-white crime or anything else (no matter how many times Mark Levin or Sean Hannity brings it up).

The race baiters are frothing at the mouth over this case. That includes everyone from the black race-baiters like Sharpton and Jackson to the white race-baiters like Hannity and Levin.

This is about a man with KNOWN psychological issues (he was turned down for the police academy FIVE times for failing psychological tests) who killed a young man. That's it. Guilty or not guilty, the case is about nothing more than whether this killing was justified or not under the law.

FYI: The 2 lawmakers (both card-carrying NRA members and very Conservative) who WROTE the law, say Zimmerman is not covered as he was the pursuer and therefore, by definition, cannot take the defensive stance.

You can call it a "trumped up" charge, but if Zimmerman had followed your teenage daughter down a dark street with a gun would you expect her to let herself be attacked or raped? Or would you want her to fight back? Like I've said before, if Zimmerman had stalked me that way, I would have shot of HIM with no questions asked.

Apr 27, 2012 at 10:40 AM Anonymous Says:

PMOinFL Says:

You're right.

(To me he appears to be guilty)Told you, you are 1 sided...you wouldn't be fit for Judy in this case

Apr 27, 2012 at 10:42 AM Anonymous Says:

PMOinFL Says:

You're right.

I assume Allen Dershowitz know much better then you. Listen to him...he BLASTS the special prosecutor with words I cannot even describe. You Idiot!

Apr 27, 2012 at 10:43 AM justice for zimmerman Says:

A shud his site is shut down...I would of give him a Schim Hugin.

Apr 27, 2012 at 11:00 AM concerned_Jew Says:

I think this whole controversy is being generated by the press in order to advance their gun registration/confiscation/ban agenda.

Apr 27, 2012 at 11:37 AM PMOinFL Says:

LOL! Wow... you should get a job in prime-time at MSNBC or Fox News. You snip 7 words from a paragraph to claim that I am "1 sided". However, if you had any reading comprehension skills (or an honest bone in your body) you would note that I said that was based on "the evidence we know today", and I immediately followed that by saying that I am open to changing my mind after seeing ALL of the evidence.

Essentially, I am calling you out for the obvious liar you are. However, I am serious... I'd be happy to write a recommendation for you to go work on the prime-time entertainment shows at MSNBC or Fox News. With "out of context" arguments like yours, you'll fit right in with the rest of the liars. LOL

Apr 27, 2012 at 11:59 AM PMOinFL Says:

Congratulations on the most ridiculous comment of the day (so far).

Oh no! Alan Dershowitz disagrees with the prosecutor. Stop the presses! If Alan Dershowitz says it, it must be true. We shouldn't wait for the judge or the jury to decide if the charge is valid, we should go on what Alan Dershowitz says! LOL

Let me get this straight... a DEFENSE attorney, on a talk show where he was asked to talk about possible defense strategy, and who himself helped create the jury-manipulation strategy that got OJ Simpson acquitted, is speaking out against the prosecutor? Gee... stop the presses!

We don't even have all the facts yet. Alan Dershowitz is an showman... he is the P.T. Barnum of the legal world. Most of us see his appearances on ENTERTAINMENT programs for what they are: entertainment.

You call me an idiot, but I'm the one looking at FACTS and you base your view of the case on the OPINION of one defense attorney. The 2 Conservative lawmakers (both attorneys themselves) who wrote the SYG law, have agreed with the prosecutor regarding the charges. I believe you were, as psychologists say, "projecting".

I can't have an intellectual, reasoned debate with an unarmed man.

Apr 27, 2012 at 01:02 PM Anonymous Says:

PMOinFL Says:

just by calling people liars....or writing LOL'S...will make your comments appropriate,in fact by all accouunts as of all the evidence we have now he is totally NOT GUILTY of second degree murder,and was highly over charged as per most of the legal expers,democrats-republicans-independents alike. we have no clue on which earth planet you live. you are 4 some reason BLIND here. LOL

Apr 27, 2012 at 01:13 PM ShmuelG Says:

Rachel W. Says:

Rachel, from my reading of the article, it appears that there is a chiyuv on the defense to disclose this information to the judge, because this information may influence the size of the bail that the judge set (and may still increase?). And informing the judge in the case of such visibility is the same as announcing it in public. Who knows, if not for this, maybe the defense would keep this fact "under wraps."

I admit that I now very little about legal proceedings, so the above is just a conjecture on my part. Maybe somebody better informed can clarify it for us.

Gut Shabbos.

Apr 27, 2012 at 01:15 PM justice 4 zimmerman Says:

PMOinFL Says:

(I said that was based on "the evidence we know today", and I immediately followed that by saying that I am open to changing my mind after seeing ALL of the evidence.)Sir PMOinFL. Sounds you are pretty confused,BTW you just now reinforced #12 words. Y are you blasting #12 I fully agree with him,what he said was exactly right and perhaps true..You would not be fit for a judy in this case. Just that you are willing to change your mind for the NOT GUILTY side would not be enough..any Judge would refuse to have you here as a Judy. Start thinking before you write. Its about time.

Apr 28, 2012 at 09:48 PM Anonymous Says:

PMOinFL Says:

1. He carried a gun in violation of the neighborhood watch rules.

His arrogance and obsession with being a "cop" led to this boy's death.

Your high emotions and of your so called evidence that you recall in comment does not carry a second degree murder charge....period! I just wonder if this charges would be towards you what you would say then.