Everett, WA - New 747-8 Jet Arrives In Frankfurt On 1st Flight

Published on: May 2, 2012 03:23 PM
By: AP
The business class section of the first Boeing 747-8 Intercontinental is seen before a delivery ceremony Tuesday, May 1, 2012, in Everett, Wash. Lufthansa is the launch customer for the Intercontinental and will start service with the airplane between Frankfurt, Germany and Washington, D.C. The 747-8 Intercontinental is a stretched, updated version of the iconic 747 and is expected to bring double-digit improvements in fuel burn and emissions over its predecessor, the 747-400, and generate 30 percent less noise. Boeing delivered the first 747-8 Intercontinental to a private customer in February, more than a year after originally planned. (AP Photo/Elaine Thompson)The business class section of the first Boeing 747-8 Intercontinental is seen before a delivery ceremony Tuesday, May 1, 2012, in Everett, Wash. Lufthansa is the launch customer for the Intercontinental and will start service with the airplane between Frankfurt, Germany and Washington, D.C. The 747-8 Intercontinental is a stretched, updated version of the iconic 747 and is expected to bring double-digit improvements in fuel burn and emissions over its predecessor, the 747-400, and generate 30 percent less noise. Boeing delivered the first 747-8 Intercontinental to a private customer in February, more than a year after originally planned. (AP Photo/Elaine Thompson)

Everett, WA - The first Lufthansa Boeing 747-8 plane arrived in Frankfurt, Germany, Wednesday, a day after the airline and the manufacturer celebrated the plane’s delivery and inaugural flyaway from Paine Field Airport in Everett, Wash.

The plane is an updated version of the iconic 747, with less noise, more space and better fuel efficiency.

The airplane will begin regular commercial service June 1 on a flight from Frankfurt to Washington, D.C.

On board the first flight were Carsten Spohr, chairman of the executive board and CEO of Deutsche Lufthansa; Nico Buchholz, executive vice president, Group Fleet Management, Lufthansa; and Elizabeth Lund, Boeing vice president and general manager of the 747 Program, along with some 30 passengers and crew.

The 747-8 Intercontinental was designed to improve the fuel efficiency and emissions of its predecessor, the 747-400, while generating 30 percent less noise. The 747-8 Intercontinental’s Dreamliner-inspired interior is also designed to appear more spacious and to provide more room for personal belongings.

A new Boeing 747-8 of Lufthansa AG is rolled into a hangar at Frankfurt Airport in Frankfurt Main, Germany, 02 May 2012. Lufthansa is the first airline worldwide to add the new Boeing to its passenger fleet. The newly developed 747-8 is 5 metres longer than the previous model 747-400 and is supposed to be considerably quieter and more efficient.  EPA/ARNE DEDERTA new Boeing 747-8 of Lufthansa AG is rolled into a hangar at Frankfurt Airport in Frankfurt Main, Germany, 02 May 2012. Lufthansa is the first airline worldwide to add the new Boeing to its passenger fleet. The newly developed 747-8 is 5 metres longer than the previous model 747-400 and is supposed to be considerably quieter and more efficient.  EPA/ARNE DEDERT

Online: http://www.newairplane.com/747/vip/

Arlington, VA - NNewt Gingrich, the colorful former House speaker and fiery partisan, formally exited the Republican presidential contest Wednesday and vowed to help... Jerusalem - Frustrated by a lack of police action in the massive pedophilia case in Jerusalem's Nahlaot neighborhood that involved at least ten perpetrators and more...

May 02, 2012 at 04:26 PM Anonymous Says:

It looks a lot more narrower than a regular 747 even with the fancy seats.

May 02, 2012 at 04:53 PM UseYourHead Says:

Smart move. They took an excellent plane and made it even better.

May 02, 2012 at 05:15 PM iknow Says:

The 747 is still the king of all aircrafts

May 02, 2012 at 05:38 PM morris Says:

It looks a lot more narrower than a regular 747 even with the fancy seats.

It looks like its the second floor (second deck) which is more narrow and has a lower roof. I have flown many times on 747 sitting upstairs.

May 02, 2012 at 05:43 PM OberBoberGrober Says:

It looks a lot more narrower than a regular 747 even with the fancy seats.

This is on the second floor of the 747.

I fly LH a lot, and I am finally happy that I don't need to look for a FIRST seat, the new business seat will from now on be quite comfortable (hopefully).

May 02, 2012 at 07:52 PM Poor photo Says:

The angle of the photo makes the upstairs look narrower than it really is.
The big chiddush is the angled seats which allow both passengers feet to point towards the imbetween which lets the feet go under the wide armrest area. This allows for seats closer to the next row while still allowing a flat bed, fully horizontal and parralel to the floor. This is the holy grail in business seats.

May 02, 2012 at 08:45 PM eich Says:

After the airbus A380 I think Boing needs a bit of a shakup,

May 02, 2012 at 10:14 PM benny45 Says:

eich Says:

After the airbus A380 I think Boing needs a bit of a shakup,

The A380 was more or less a flop, and the 747 is still dominating the industry in long haul flights, and in orders.

May 03, 2012 at 01:53 AM Lichfield Says:

OberBoberGrober Says:

This is on the second floor of the 747.

"I fly LH a lot"

What self-respecting Jew would even dream of flying on a German airline? How quickly some people forget what terrible things were done to our own people by the Germans, yemach shmam uzichronam.

There are plenty of other air transport companies across the world without Jews having to demean the memories of their murdered parents and grandparents by giving money to the heirs of the Nazis.

I suppose #5 drives a BMW, or a Mercedes-Benz, automobile as well.

May 03, 2012 at 10:08 AM Anonymous Says:

To #9-Litchfield- I flew on Lufthansa from Frankfurt, to Eretz Yisrael. The security screening for that flight was excellent. Also, the Kosher food on that flight came from Brussels; the food was delicious, and it was very heavily wrapped, as I remember that it took quite an effort to open it. I have no regret about flying with Lufthansa, as there were plenty of Israelis on that flight, since there are Israelis who live in Frankfurt. When I arrived in EY, I noticed that many of the taxis which were being used were Mercedes. I think, therefore, that your statement to avoid all German goods or businesses makes no sense. Kindly note that El Al also has flights between Tel Aviv and Frankfurt.

May 03, 2012 at 04:26 PM ShmuelG Says:

Lichfield Says:

"I fly LH a lot"

I suppose #5 drives a BMW, or a Mercedes-Benz, automobile as well.

I did it by mistake once. Three years I booked the flight from Dulles to Amsterdam on United, only to realize when I got to the airport that this is actually a Lufthansa operated flight, also listed as United and two other airlines. I wasn't happy about it, but had to fly. It was very unpleasant to have these german shiksas serving me my food; well, at least it was well wrapped.

So if you want to avoid the germans, it will be wise to avoid any airline which is in the so-called alliance with LH.