Miami - Poll Shows Romney Edging Obama In Key Swing State Florida

Published on: May 24, 2012 08:35 AM
By: AP
(Photo credit: AP)(Photo credit: AP)

Miami - Former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney has moved into a lead over President Barack Obama in the crucial swing state of Florida, a new poll shows.

Romney, the presumptive Republican nominee, was preferred by 47 percent to Obama’s 41 percent among a random telephone survey of 1,722 registered Florida voters conducted between May 15 and May 21 by the Quinnipiac University (Conn.) Polling Institute. The margin of error in the newest sampling of current voter preferences was put at plus or minus 2.4 percentage points.

The two men were virtually deadlocked in a similar Quinnipiac survey conducted in the last week of April. Obama led Romney by 7 percentage points among Florida voters in late March.

``The overall picture in Florida is favorable for Romney,’’ pollster Peter Brown said.

The one-time governor and former investment firm manager was seen favorably by 45 percent of Florida voters compared to a 35 percent unfavorable, while Obama also had a 45 percent favorable, but a 50 percent unfavorable despite a 76 percent likeability response. Romney enjoyed broad support among men and older voters while the president had strong backing among minorities and younger voters. Women voters in Florida were split almost evenly.

Fifty-two percent said they do not approve of Obama’s handling of the presidency and that he does not deserve a second term while 50 percent said they believed Romney would do a better job managing the economy, which is presently seen as the pivotal issue in the 2012 race.

The survey released early Wednesday indicated that having U.S. Sen. Marco Rubio of Miami on the GOP ticket with Romney would have a slight effect among Florida voter. Romney led Obama 49 percent to 41 percent with Rubio as his running mate.

The candidates’ opposing views on same sex marriage was a factor with one-third of the respondents and 22 percent identified the issue as ``extremely important.’’ By better than a two-to-one margin those who found the issue important said it would make them less likely to vote for Obama, who supports same-sex marriages. Romney is opposed to same-sex marriage.

``While the issue of same-sex marriage looks like it affects only one-third of Florida voters, we know from experience what a few votes can mean in the Sunshine State,’’ Brown said.

Republican George W. Bush was elected president in 2000 on the strength of a 537-vote advantage in Florida over Democrat Al Gore.

No candidate has won the presidency since John F. Kennedy in 1960 without carrying two of the nation’s three key swing states _ Florida, Ohio and Pennsylvania. Obama won all three in his 2008 victory over Republican nominee John McCain, winning Florida by nearly a quarter million votes. The nation’s fourth largest state, Florida, provides 29 of the required 270 electoral votes needed to win.

Jerusalem - Organizers of an online Mideast peace movement say they are launching the Internet's first university for Israelis and Arabs across the Middle East Former... Queens, NY - Daniel J. Halloran III, a city councilman and Republican candidate for Congress in Queens, says that the corned beef his Irish family enjoys is actually a...

May 24, 2012 at 08:42 AM Anonymous Says:

i dont believe it, with the way this disaster of a community agitator has been destroying the country, romney's lead in the poll should be a lot more

May 24, 2012 at 09:37 AM LouKay Says:

writes the headlines? 6 points ahead in a swing state, this early the process, against a sitting President is Not just "edeges" is a big lead !

May 24, 2012 at 01:29 PM PMOinFL Says:

LouKay Says:

It should be noted that this one poll is an outlier. Most only show 2-3 points.

Regardless, Romney cannot win without Pennsylvania, Ohio and Virginia. He is down in all three.

The stupid mistake is thinking that it will all come down to FL again. It won't. FL will likely go red as it usually does, but Ohio, Virginia and Pennsylvania are all trending blue. Obama does not need Florida to win.

Romney will likely get FL without much effort, but it will be close. He should focus his efforts elsewhere.

May 24, 2012 at 02:15 PM Materetsky Says:

LouKay Says:

I agree! This is a huge lead and very big news. I frankly didn't think Romney.had a chance but BH maybe I was wrong

May 24, 2012 at 03:00 PM A Says:

Materetsky Says:

Why "BH"? Do you like Romney that much? I'm extremely disappointed in the GOP's choice..the Republican party put up terrible candidates for this election so I wouldn't have liked any of them.
I don't even know if I'm going to bother to vote for President, I dislike both Obama and Romney and don't want to see either of them hold the office.

May 24, 2012 at 04:13 PM PMOinFL Says:

A Says:

You said it!

The Republican Party hasn't put up a decent candidate since Reagan. After the fiscal failures of Bush 41, and both the fiscal and military disaster that was the Bush 43 years, you would think they would figure it out by now.

But this has been my point for 2 decades. Republicans are not Conservative and haven't been since Reagan. They believe in nothing. They like catchy headlines with nothing but idiocy behind it. This is how we were handed morons like Palin, idiots like Bachmann, and ignoramuses like Santorum. They let uneducated entertainers and comedians on radio and TV decide the party platform, resulting in mounting failures.

Republicans are not much different from Democrats at the end of the day. They only differ on which voting block they pay lip service to. No matter what they will do what benefits their financial backers. They don't care about any of us.

REAL Conservatives left the Republican Party in 1999 when William F. Buckley, the movement's founder also split. He was the one who wasn't afraid to publicly call GW Bush "America's Idiot" long before he got the nomination. I have supported 3rd-party Conservatives like Bob Barr ever since.

May 24, 2012 at 05:13 PM Anonymous Says:

Focusing on cherry-picked state polls more than five months before an election is foolish. There are a number of other Florida polls which show Obama ahead in that state.

Either way, Romney is not a candidate that inspires or excites and he has an uphill battle to fight. Not only will he have to hold on to all of the McCain states, he will also have to win Florida, N. Carolina, Virginia, Ohio, Indiana, and a smaller state like New Hampshire, Iowa, or Nevada. Based on Real Clear Politics aggregate of polling in those states, Romney is ahead in only Florida and N. Carolina, so he's got his work cut out for him.

May 24, 2012 at 10:19 PM cool masmid Says:

A Says:

.....but I hate to break it to you, its going to be either one of them with a remote chance that Biden becomes. So be prepared..

May 25, 2012 at 11:15 AM A Says:

cool masmid Says:

Oh, I know that, I just couldn't hold back my disgust. How have we gotten to the point that there aren't any candidates that give you even a smidgen of hope that he will do a good job and make you proud you voted for him.
BTW, even though I dislike President Obama I have a bit of a problem with your hint about Joe Biden -- I absolutely will not wish such a thing upon a sitting president.