New York, NY - Bloomberg Soda Ban: Board Of Health Eyes Popcorn And Milkshakes

Published on: June 14, 2012 11:25 AM
By: Read full article at CBS NY
File photo of Mayor Michael Bloomberg eats popcorn at Madison Square Garden. EPA/JUSTIN LANEFile photo of Mayor Michael Bloomberg eats popcorn at Madison Square Garden. EPA/JUSTIN LANE

New York, NY - While the New York City Board of Health approves of Mayor Michael Bloomberg’s plan to cut all large sugary drinks from New Yorker’s diets, some members are taking issue with one major point: They don’t think the plan goes far enough.

Certain members spoke up, saying that the proposal should include other items. Board member Bruce Vladeck questioned why large tubs of popcorn were not included in the ban, according to the New York Daily News.

Bloomberg has proposed a ban of all sugary drinks larger than 16 ounces. A public hearing on the issue on July 24, with a final vote is scheduled for Sept. 13. If approved, the new regulations would go in effect on March 2013.

Those businesses who do not comply would face $200 fines.

La Paz, Bolivia - A U.S. congressman has met with senior Bolivian officials to plead for the release of a New York man who he says has been wrongly jailed without charge... Gaza City, Gaza Strip - Fifty international aid groups and U.N. agencies on Thursday urged Israel to open Gaza's borders, saying its border blockade violates...

You can now automatically hide comments - New!

Don't worry, you can always display comments when you need to.

Jun 14, 2012 at 11:42 AM sasregener Says:

This city is so going down the tubes. Look at the idiots in charge. No mor enees to be said.

Jun 14, 2012 at 11:51 AM Anonymous Says:

I love NY is going to be changed into "I Diet NY"

Jun 14, 2012 at 12:10 PM Big mouth Says:

Smart move from Mayor Bloomberg. Most overweight or obese people are on Medicaid on the taxpayers dine. It’s the same type of people sitting all day in Movie Theaters with 64 oz soda cup and a big bucket of popcorn having fun on the taxpayers dine!
It’s a smart business move to save money for Medicaid; Bloomberg is using his brain.

Jun 14, 2012 at 12:16 PM Butterfly Says:

Once they start, they are never going to stop. They have not yet figured out how many calories these treif cheeseburgers are. From what I have read, there is a lot of sugar added making these burgers over 650 calories if not more. If it is a double it is over 1,000 calories. Why don't they start there??? Why are they bothering the drinks?

Jun 14, 2012 at 12:33 PM anonymous Says:

sasregener Says:

Brilliant incisive and succint comment. I hope that Mayor Blumberg also issues that those fressers be denied health insurance and should eat themselve in kingdom heavens with of course glatt chopped liver, fine greasy kugel and washed down with glatt coca cola or pepsi , at least 14 oz.

Jun 14, 2012 at 01:12 PM Butterfly Says:

Next will be tiny bags of potato chips etc. no salt!! We are going to have a FOOD CZAR!! Not a MAYOR !!

Jun 14, 2012 at 01:14 PM My2Cents Says:

When will they ban oversized ego's from running cities?

Jun 14, 2012 at 01:21 PM Stickpick Says:

I "Thinly" Love NY!

Jun 14, 2012 at 01:23 PM georgewashingtonbridge Says:

Popcorn is actually a healthy snack, in moderate quantities. Just don't smother it in butter.

Jun 14, 2012 at 01:33 PM ChachoMoe Says:

I am waiting for the day Bloomie & Co. will implement 'weight staions' (like ...trucks) Anyone above the limit will be fined, as the following: first offense..you have 30 days to lose x amount of lbs, after that your fine will increase every month, etc...

Jun 14, 2012 at 01:40 PM frustrated New Yorker Says:

First they came for the communists,
and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a communist.
Then they came for the trade unionists,
and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a trade unionist.
Then they came for the Jews,
and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a Jew.
Then they came for me
and there was no one left to speak out for me.
- - - Martin Niemöller about the Nazi’s

First they went after the cigarettes
and I didn't speak out because I don’t smoke.
Then they went after the sodium
and I didn't speak out because I know someone with high blood pressure.
Then they came for the trans fat
and I didn't speak out because I don’t go to restaurants.
Then they came for sugary drinks
and no one speaks out because …?
- - - frustrated New Yorker about Bloomberg

Jun 14, 2012 at 01:40 PM Insider Says:

There's going to be a limit of 1 slice of gefilte fish or one herring and two slices of kugel at your Shul's Shabbos Kiddush. But if you want to eat cholent, you have to give up one slice of kugel. Violators will be punished by having to sit in the front seat and no talking for at least one month. Also at aufrufs, children are only allowed to catch one pekele, no exceptions regardless of how many chasanim.. Gut (skinny) Shabbos !!!

Jun 14, 2012 at 12:33 PM Anonymous Says:

enough nanny state Let people be responsible for themselves. My daughter who spent 3 weeks in America and has lived in Eretz Yisrael for the past 22 years; says she does not believe how America has become an nanny country; especially in new York where illegals collect welfare and vote. This is unreal

Jun 14, 2012 at 12:37 PM Dan Silagi Says:

Since when does the U.S. Constitution give the state the right to regulate diet? (I predict this matter will get to the U.S. Supreme Court and be overthrown.)

Jun 14, 2012 at 01:03 PM ormeo Says:

And down the rabbit hole we go. Government will never control enough of your life to be satisfied. This is a perfect anecdote for big government.

Jun 14, 2012 at 02:15 PM Anonymous Says:

Butterfly Says:

Your are so busy with Tref Cheeseburgers, did you check how much calories a VIP cholent contains on Thursday night. It much worse then you think.
You can fix plenty of kosher delicacies too!

Jun 14, 2012 at 02:26 PM Anonymous Says:

Dan Silagi Says:

Since when does the U.S. constitution give the state the right to steal money from taxpayers to pay for Medicaid?
A big percentage of overweight people are on Medicaid because they cannot work due to health issues.
I got a deal! Abolish government Medicaid and I’ll let you drink and eat as much as you desire and you’ll pay for your doctors too - when you will develop diabetes or high blood pressure.

Jun 14, 2012 at 03:13 PM Beckford Says:

" especially in new York where illegals collect welfare and vote."

So you and your daughter have no objection to American citizens working the system: collecting welfare, collecting food stamps, and collecting section 8 - and voting.

Jun 14, 2012 at 03:21 PM Physician Says:

Insider Says:

"There's going to be a limit of 1 slice of gefilte fish or one herring and two slices of kugel at your Shul's Shabbos Kiddush. But if you want to eat cholent, you have to give up one slice of kugel. "

That is a really excellent idea, insider! Well done for thinking that up.

If we all would do as insider #12 has suggested we could all keep our weight in trim, which in turn would protect our hearts and might help to prevent atherosclerosis of the arteries and even diabetes.

I know none of you would ever dream of taking up such an idea, but hey! it's your body we are talking about here and your life.

If you have a death wish and/or just want to die young, leaving helpless orphans and bereaved widows - חס וחלילה - just carry on without heeding what insider suggested.

Jun 14, 2012 at 03:59 PM mewhoze Says:

does anyone know that when some NYC agencies contracted to a vendor for snack machines in their facilities, the machines were filled with sugary noshes and salty ones.
where was the sugar police then?

Jun 14, 2012 at 05:14 PM jewishcat Says:

My2Cents Says:

When will they ban oversized ego's from running cities?

“ When will they ban oversized ego's from running cities?”
Sums up the real problem very well.

Jun 14, 2012 at 05:18 PM Butterfly Says:

To #16I don't make chulent any more. It put too much weight on my husband. Since I stopped, the pounds came off. I stick to the healthy foods. There are plenty of things that I make that are easy to make and very healthy and NOT fattening!!

Jun 14, 2012 at 05:26 PM anonymous Says:

You are absolutely correct . We should abolish health insurance and all those fressers should be able gorge themselve on glatt kosher chopped liver, greasy kugel and washed down with good soda and not received coronary grafts. I applaud you for you wisdom

Jun 14, 2012 at 05:54 PM MidwesternGuy Says:

Dan Silagi Says:

It's quite the opposite. The Constitution mostly limits the powers of the Federal government and basically allows the states to do anything they wish.

That said, the idea was supposed to be that if you didn't like what was going on in one state, you could simply move to another.

On a state-wide level, this seems to be working to New York's disadvantage. According to this report, around 1.6 million people have left New York state since 2000. http://www.wgrz.com/news/article/129679/1/Think-Tank-NY-Population-Down-16-Million-Since-2000

Obviously, not all the people who left came from New York City, but I'm sure that plenty of them did. If Bloomberg keeps it up, he can re-name the city New Detroit as everyone but the poor end up fleeing.

Jun 14, 2012 at 08:18 PM vitriol Says:

Look the issue is not that complicated people, okaaaaaay? You start with and end with the freakin' soda. How do you think that people get to be 500 pounds? Its because the pizza parlors and fast food places induce you to buy a large size by giving you 'your money's worth' Bloomberg has a great idea, so shut up all you politically correct imbeciles (including Christine Quinn the Lesbian and her insignificant other)

Jun 14, 2012 at 06:29 PM YentaMirel Says:

Butterfly Says:

Hey, Butterfly, Shabbos isn't Shabbos without the traditional fare. Instead of not making chulent, how's about making less of it and using lean meat? Besides, beans are healthy and so is sticking to smaller portions and resisting second helpings. Moderation is the key to good health.

Jun 15, 2012 at 03:02 PM A Says:

The reality is that many poor people become overweight because they do not have the money to pay for the foods that are a source of good nutrition. Buying vegetables, fruit, and whole grains is considerably more expensive than a box of pasta. For example: One can usually find a store that sells 2 boxes of pasta on sale for a dollar. A head of lettuce can cost more than $1.50. The 2 boxes of pasta can feed a family for 2 meals, the head of lettuce won't fill anyone's belly and keep someone from being hungry. So poor people end up buying and eating low cost foods like pasta and gain weight, which often result in causing diabetes and other health problems.
Your answer towards solving these problems is tantamount to throwing these people into a cattlecar and shooting them. How about you come up with something realistic instead of simply venting your spite because a teeny portion of your tax dollars goes towards helping poor and disabled people?