Brooklyn, NY - Orthodox Young Woman Vying For Parker’s Seat

Published on: July 16, 2012 11:00 AM
Michael Long, Chairman of Conservative party, New York State, Mindy Meyer, Jerry Kassar, Chairman of Conservative Party - BrooklynMichael Long, Chairman of Conservative party, New York State, Mindy Meyer, Jerry Kassar, Chairman of Conservative Party - Brooklyn

Brooklyn, NY - A 22 year old law school student who hopes to shake things up in Brooklyn’s 21st District is challenging Kevin Parker for his state senate seat and will be running unopposed on both the Republican and Conservative lines.

Mindy Meyer, an Orthodox Flatbush resident, who is currently employed as a judicial intern for Judge Francois Rivera at the King County Supreme Court and attends law school at night, admits to having always been fascinated by politics.

“I met Mayor Giuliani when I was twelve,” Meyer told VIN News.  “When we went to Washington for our 8th grade graduation trip, I tried to coordinate a trip to meet the president at the White House.”

A graduate of Touro College and one of five children, Ms. Meyer chose law to study law as a segue into politics.

“I think many of the people who are in office right now, such as Kevin Parker, are disconnected from the younger generation,” said Ms. Meyer.  “They want people who are young, innovative, have new ideas and someone who can relate to the people.  When I went around collecting signatures within the community, many of the people didn’t even know who Kevin Parker is.  He isn’t involved in the community and is out of touch with his constituents.”

Ms. Meyer does not see her lack of experience in the political arena as a drawback, pledging to work hard for her constituents if elected and citing her religious background and values as an asset.

“I can tell you one thing,” vowed Ms. Meyer.  “I don’t have experience in corruption.  That is how politics has to change.  There is always corruption but I plan to stick to my values and ensure that none of that goes on in my district.”

If elected, Ms. Meyer would advocate for school vouchers, battered women and would create programs to divert young adults who are involved in gangs to educational programs that would help them earn a degree.  Ms. Meyer also pledged to tackle the issue of police brutality, particularly when racially motivated.

“We endorsed her,” said Jerry Kassar, chairman of Brooklyn’s Conservative party.  “We filed her petitions on the conservative party line and we anticipate her being a strong candidate.  We were very excited after we met with her and I say she will be formidable and a strong contender.  She has a maturity and an ability well beyond her years.”

Should she defeat Parker in the upcoming election, Ms. Meyer would transfer to a law school in Albany which would enable her to continue her studies as well as carry out her duties as a state senator.

Jerusalem - An Israeli anti-settlement activist says vandals have sprayed hate graffiti on her home for the third time in ten months. Hagit Ofran said she found... Budapest, Hungary - Hungary said Monday it is investigating whether a Holocaust-era war criminal has been living in the capital, Budapest, as international and domestic...

You can now automatically hide comments - New!

Don't worry, you can always display comments when you need to.

Jul 16, 2012 at 11:44 AM atbayshoreny Says:

wow what an inspiration!!!! i love how you found a passion for politics even at a young age ( mayor guiliani is a lucky guy!!!) much hatzlocha.

Jul 16, 2012 at 11:56 AM zooog Says:

It is not a job for a BAS YISROEL

Jul 16, 2012 at 11:47 AM Velvel Says:

This young lady should be matzliach!

Jul 16, 2012 at 12:49 PM Grumpy Says:

Anyone is better than Parker.

Jul 16, 2012 at 11:34 AM CSLMoish Says:

Sounds like a giant dunce, "battered women" and "racially motivated police brutality"????

Jul 16, 2012 at 12:23 PM TheRealJoe123 Says:

If she can pull getting at least some support from the African American community she might have a chance, but she needs to be careful not to alienate Frum Voters who might not be comfortable with pictures such as this of her b/t 2 men.

Jul 16, 2012 at 12:25 PM thechef88 Says:

Reply to #2 - you are nuts. There is nothing wrong with her wrunning for government office?wHat do you want her to do? It is a job that will help her support a family and give us another voice in government.

Jul 16, 2012 at 01:33 PM FredE Says:

I'm all for women having serious careers. But I'm not sure I would want an inexperienced 22 year old in this job, no matter what their gender.

Jul 16, 2012 at 02:25 PM shalomke Says:

Elected to office or not, I think should would be a great match for one of the Tischler brothers. And, yes, although it's my idea, I won't demand any shadchanus gelt.
Mazal U'bracha

Jul 16, 2012 at 01:29 PM clear-thinker Says:

zooog Says:

It is not a job for a BAS YISROEL

Although, if given the choice, I might not vote for her...What are you talking about? Are you worried that she might shake hands with someone? Are you afraid that....oh well what is the difference what you might be afraid of. I certainly hope that you have had a chance to find a job that is fitting for you.

Jul 16, 2012 at 01:39 PM GS Says:

TheRealJoe123 Says:

Again people are focus on the wrong issues. How else this picture could have been taken? Besides one can not live his / her life based on what makes other people comfortable.

Jul 16, 2012 at 01:42 PM RoseJaco Says:

Good luck Mindy! Sources have reported that you took off your first year post high school to study abroad?? Rock on!!
A fellow M'lossite ('08-'09) Raizel (y) j

Jul 16, 2012 at 03:41 PM yaakov doe Says:

An inexperienced 22 year old couldn't accomplish any less than Kevin Parker has accomplished. And I assume that she won't attack traffic enforement agents or newspaper reporters. I had great hopes for Parker when he first ran, but he's been a complete and absolute disappointment in every way.

Jul 16, 2012 at 03:54 PM Yenta Says:

shalomke Says:

Mazal U'bracha

Sorry, it's not your idea. The Tischler family already had a Committee set up on her behalf last month at a family member address. She's older than them so maybe you can get the NASI program funds.

Jul 16, 2012 at 05:34 PM crock-pot Says:

zooog Says:

It is not a job for a BAS YISROEL

So its your job to say what a bas yisrael's job is?

Jul 16, 2012 at 05:48 PM The Professor Says:

zooog Says:

It is not a job for a BAS YISROEL

What is her job? To people like you, it must be to make babies and kugels. She can do all of that - and more - and perform a great service to her people. Fortunately, she has a head on her shoulders which does more than serve as a bosis for a tichel!

Jul 16, 2012 at 05:42 PM bambu4642 Says:

FredE Says:

why not? we elected an inexperienced "community organizer" as president

Jul 16, 2012 at 05:45 PM crock-pot Says:

clear-thinker Says:

I think his problem with her getting. Elected to this job, is very troubling with him and people who think like him is, that she will need to have internet.

Give me a brake, they should go for it, and do what they feel doing, and be happy with them selves, instead of being depressed mothers who stay home

Jul 16, 2012 at 06:08 PM Attorney Says:

If she can inturn for J. Rivera, she can do anything. He's a very strait smart judge that works hard and demands from all around him to give it 100%.

Jul 16, 2012 at 06:39 PM RobertS Says:

zooog Says:

It is not a job for a BAS YISROEL

She will make enough to pay taxes to support those of you who would rather learn than support your families.

Jul 16, 2012 at 08:41 PM Rebecca Says:

Good luck to her. Yes she is inexperienced but she can learn on the job. Politics is not rocket science.

Jul 16, 2012 at 08:38 PM menachemwh Says:

zooog Says:

It is not a job for a BAS YISROEL

what is a job for a bas yisroel? I assume u arent employeed

Jul 17, 2012 at 10:07 AM why parker's seat Says:

Mindy,
Why go after a seat that has lost most of its Jewish constituanats. That seat will represent a mostly minority district....Good Luck

Jul 17, 2012 at 01:47 PM Mr&Mrs; AmHaAretz Says:

zooog Says:

It is not a job for a BAS YISROEL

? Was Devora not a "BAS YISROEL"?
Go review chapters 4 and 5 in Shoftim.

Jul 25, 2012 at 05:18 PM TheBluntTruth Says:

Wow another idiot from New York running for state senator! She is quite unintelligent and has no idea about anything in politics. She couldn't even name basic politicians they showed her on Fox News! She does not represent our community, she does not represent Orthodox Jews, and is a shame to Brooklynites in general. When someone uses Kim Kardashian and Legally Blonde as their foundation, you know they are insane. Her other ideas probably were: free candy, a hello kitty flag for New York, and the license plates should all be bedazzled.
Parents please drill into your kids a sense of normalcy. Do not be afraid that you will be a dream killer if you tell your child that they have an absurd ambition. You will save your child from much grief and pain.

Jul 25, 2012 at 10:01 PM Paulie123 Says:

She supports abortion and is running as a Conservative