New York - Do Your Diapers Have a Hechsher?

Published on: August 8, 2012 11:08 AM

New York - Disposable diapers have evolved tremendously since their introduction well over fifty years ago, with manufacturers continually improving their product by adding elasticized waistbands, superabsorbent polymers, resealable closures and other features. But one company is producing diapers that boast yet an unusual innovation: rabbinical supervision.

Kosher Diapers first hit the market before Pesach and feature Velcro closures, instead of adhesive tapes, whose use can be questionable on Shabbos.  Available through local vendors that sell baby items in Brooklyn as well as online at KosherDiapers.com, the diapers are under the rabbinical supervision of Rabbi Shmuel Halevi Wosner of Bnei Brak and the website features approbations from Rav Shlome Zalman Ulman of Bnei Brak, Rav Yosef Yisroel Eisenberger, Dayan of New Square and Rav Yoel Tzvi Halevi Moscowitz, Dayan of Tosh.

“In the chasidic community, ninety nine percent of the people open their diapers before Shabbos or Yom Tov because of the tapes used to seal them,” KosherDiapers.com owner Barry Moskowitz told VIN News.

According to Moskowitz, while diapers with taped closures are potentially problematic because the tapes can be considered a permanent closure which is forbidden on Shabbos and Yom Tov, Velcro closures pose no issue since despite their ability to remain fastened for a long period of time, they are not considered to be a permanent in nature.

While there are other diapers on the market that use Velcro instead of tape, Moskowitz insists that his diapers are less costly.  Kosher Diapers are available in four sizes, with the thirty count bag of diapers retailing from $9 to $10.50 and 180 count cases of diapers sell for $26.89 to $39.89.  Moskowitz hopes to have his product available in stores in time for the upcoming Yomim Tovim.

Moskowitz says his company has over 2,500 customers in Brooklyn, Lakewood, Monsey and New Square and many buyers are repeat customers.

“The response from customers has been very positive,” reported Moskowitz, who hopes to expand his product line in the future.

Brooklyn, NY – Councilman David G. Greenfield and Sephardic Bikur Holim have joined together to launch a memorial fund in support of the family of Yitzchak "Izzo"... New Zealand - Nazi Hunter, a documentary which will air on New Zealand television for the first time tomorrow, features suspected Nazi and war criminal Jonas Pukas who...

Aug 08, 2012 at 11:43 AM YJay1 Says:

Lately, Fisher Price starting selling diapers in the Jewish market that also feature the same Velcro Bands and have a approbation from the Hisachdus Harrobonim (CRC).

My wife tried it recently and was really impressed with the quality.

They retail for about $8.00 a package (the same range as Luvs).

Aug 08, 2012 at 11:52 AM Moshe-PC Says:

Is this the same as the Fisher Price diapers? I think that they also have a Heksher.

Aug 08, 2012 at 11:57 AM Lazer Says:

Baruch Hash-m! Now I can stop using treif diapers.

What should I do about my daughter's potty? Its plastic and my Ruv says I can't kasher plastic.

Aug 08, 2012 at 11:19 AM newtransplant Says:

What next?????? Most diapers over here in the UK, even the cheap ones, have velcro like closures already and are nice and cheap. So, a hechsher on pacifiers? on strollers so you know they aren't too flashy, on baby clothes for tznius?????

Aug 08, 2012 at 11:20 AM nombody Says:

Are they pareve or dairy?

Aug 08, 2012 at 12:38 PM hahaha Says:

what about a kosher for pesach / passover one???

Aug 08, 2012 at 01:11 PM shredready Says:

hahaha Says:

what about a kosher for pesach / passover one???

coming to your stores soon

Aug 08, 2012 at 01:33 PM ShmuelG Says:

newtransplant Says:

As a frequent visitor to England, I can assure you that what you "there in the UK" think of as "cheap" would be considered inordinately overpriced in any reasonably well-adjusted market economy.

Aug 08, 2012 at 01:52 PM ModernLakewoodGuy Says:

Now those are two words I never thought I would see in the same Sentence - KOSHER DIAPERS.

I suppose nothing should surprise me after kosher shampoo, kosher aluminum foil, kosher eggs, kosher salt,

Aug 08, 2012 at 02:54 PM Arthur Farnesbarnes Says:

ShmuelG Says:

"As a frequent visitor to England"

Really? How do your "frequent visits to England" tie in with your many rabid and poisonous attacks on that country, its government, and its royal family right here on VIN?

If you hate the British and their country so much why do you visit there so "frequently"?

Aug 08, 2012 at 03:19 PM chana Says:

Here in NY most diapers have velcro closures. I'm in the Bobby stage, so I don't change diapers that often, but I'm pretty sure there's velcro of Pampers, target brand.....

Aug 08, 2012 at 03:42 PM Asskin Says:

Which one of our Gedolim are giving the hechsher? Are they both Litvish and Chasidish hechsherim?

Aug 08, 2012 at 04:00 PM ShmuelG Says:

Arthur Farnesbarnes Says:

"As a frequent visitor to England"

I have close family in London and Manchester, get to visit once-twice a year. Couldn't care less about royal family, government, least of all the acronym NHS that stands for unnecessary suffering and death. Any more questions?

Aug 08, 2012 at 05:34 PM Babishka Says:

OH NOES! I raised 9 children and did not have "kosher" diapers, I just used a diaper service and regular pampers.

Are my kids not Yidden?

Aug 08, 2012 at 05:40 PM Lange Rekel Says:

Lazer Says:

Baruch Hash-m! Now I can stop using treif diapers.

Not funny

Aug 08, 2012 at 05:56 PM manwith1leg Says:

What a dreadful money making life comtrolling scam

Aug 08, 2012 at 06:02 PM Pampers cruiser Says:

Rubbish in the dusbin. What an utter Nonsense. They probably cause nappy rashes. Pampers and hugies have velcro. Up and up are disastrous.

Aug 08, 2012 at 07:05 PM AnonEsq Says:

How can a kosher diaper company sell diapers over the internet, which as we all know, is not kosher? Would this not be a "mitzvah haba'ah b'aveirah?"

Aug 08, 2012 at 09:14 PM Lazer Says:

nombody Says:

Are they pareve or dairy?

They would have to be parve since they are used for both.

Aug 08, 2012 at 08:25 PM newtransplant Says:

ShmuelG Says:

As a visitor you do not have the experience locals have and thus you are obviously going shopping in the wrong shops. Us 'regular' residents have shopped around to find the best prices. Plus, whenever anything 'kosher' from abroad hits the Jewish market the price is suddenly twice that of the same item in the US. Keep your kosher diapers, we don't need them over here, we'll continue to use traif ones.

Aug 08, 2012 at 09:09 PM MTL Says:

As someone who still uses diapers, I think it's been over 20 years since the diapers had tapes with no surface to re-close them on. Today they are either velcro or a tape where the surface that you stick it to is plastic, so you can open it without tearing and re-stick it.

Aug 09, 2012 at 08:27 AM Naftush Says:

Without challenging the judgment of rabbanim who approve of this product, I don't understand how the adhesive can be considered permanent when the whole product, indeed its name, is intrinsically non-permanent.

Aug 09, 2012 at 09:37 AM tzibrochenkup Says:

Now Meshiach can come. We are truly derserving of him that we are using Kosher diapers . Everything else doesn't matter anymore.
We will soon be required to walk on the street with a KOSHER halo around our head so that we don't swallow bugs that fly around.
Where does this end???
Mentchlichkeit and honesty is not important but this is.

Aug 09, 2012 at 11:03 AM Anonymous Says:

I would like to understand, Why do we think that we have to be better than our grand parents where. they were just fine and we should at least try to be like them first and then to come up with all the new stuff in the name of Yiddishkiet.

We all need parnasa I get that. I just would like to understand what changed today that it became no good to use the traditional diapers? I am just trying to understand. Not too mock or to make fun of this....