Manhattan, NY - Brooklyn Orthodox Woman Tracks Down Pickpocketer, Nabs Thief Redhanded

Published on: August 29, 2012 09:33 AM
Dina snapped this photo of the suspect Tywanda Deckard at Best BuyDina snapped this photo of the suspect Tywanda Deckard at Best Buy

Manhattan, NY - A Borough Park woman turned in an impressive piece of detective work yesterday, as a shopping expedition in Manhattan set off a chain of events that ended with a recently released felon being taken into police custody.

24 year old, Dina Wohlhendler was shopping at Zara’s when she noticed that her wallet was missing. Thinking that she had left her wallet, which contained a substantial amount of cash as well as several credit cards and a debit card.

As Mrs. Wohlhendler headed back to her office located just one block away, she received an alert from Chase Bank informing her that a $211 charge had been made on her debit card at a Midtown Urban Outfitters store.

“I knew that Urban Outfitters had opened up a new location on 43rd and 5th and I wasn’t far from there,” Mrs. Wohlhendler told VIN News.  “I ran over and asked the cashier if they remembered anyone making a large purchase, but there were no customers that stood out in their minds.”

Going back out onto 5th Avenue, Mrs. Wohlhendler began walking uptown hoping to somehow spot the thief on her own, when she noticed a Best Buy located one block to the north.  Acting on instinct, she entered the store where she observed a woman, holding an Urban Outfitters bag, purchasing a cell phone.  Coming closer to the shopper, she noticed the name on the credit card being offered to the cashier was none other than her own.

“I started yelling at her,” said Mrs. Wohlhendler.  “At first she denied that the card was mine, but then she started yelling at me.  She started running away towards the back of the store, but I ran after her, calling for security.  She started throwing the merchandise from Urban Outfitters at me, then some cash, then my wallet, screaming ‘here is your stuff back, it is just a mix-up.’”

Best Buy security detained the woman and insisted that the pair wait for police to clarify the matter.

“As we were waiting, she said to me ‘you have your stuff back, this is just a waste of time’”, recalled Mrs. Wohlhendler.  “Then she took another tack saying, ‘I am Muslim, you are Jewish.  You are all greedy, why can’t you just let it go?’”

Upon their arrival, police immediately found inconsistencies in the suspect’s story, who first insisted that she hadn’t used the credit card, but store surveillance tapes indicated otherwise.

The suspect, who was identified as Tywanda Deckard, was taken in for questioning before being arrested on several charges including grand larceny, and possession of stolen goods.  Deckard was released on parole on June 10th after being convicted on two counts of identity theft.

“The police were amazed that I got everything back,” admitted Mrs. Wohlhendler.  “One of the officers jokingly handed me his shield and thanked me for doing his job.”

A spokesperson for Best Buy confirmed that the incident did take place yesterday in their Midtown store but refused to elaborate further. The NYPD did not return calls for comments regarding the case.

Germany - Berlin police are investigating after a 53-year-old rabbi and his six-year-old daughter were allegedly attacked by four Arab teens in downtown Berlin. The... Tampa, FL - Meet Mitt Romney's sweetheart. Making her national debut, Ann Romney swept onto the stage at the Republican National Convention late Tuesday night and...

You can now automatically hide comments - New!

Don't worry, you can always display comments when you need to.

Aug 29, 2012 at 09:40 AM Couch potato detective wannabe Says:

Great story!

Aug 29, 2012 at 09:41 AM shredready Says:

Great job she has guts

Aug 29, 2012 at 09:45 AM Anonymous Says:

Very nice that she caught the nasty thief. Well Done Dina. Tywanda Deckard, her name sounds like a black person's name. Hardly a muslim name. She most likely said it to make Dina more infuriated.

Aug 29, 2012 at 09:46 AM Anonymous Says:

DECKARD, TYWANDA 04129060N 11G0226 FEMALE 2/1/1962 BLACK BEACON-FEMALE 10/11/2011 MERIT TIME NOT GRANTD. Black not muslim.

Aug 29, 2012 at 09:56 AM concerned_Jew Says:

Great job! I think they should hire her for Police Work. She would make a good detective. Excellent work Dina. Wow!

Aug 29, 2012 at 10:11 AM Buchwalter Says:

Happened to my wife and VISA has computer program which scans your account for unusual purchases and will call you for confirmation of purchase. Thief also a woman stole my wife's credit card and within an hour accumulated 2,000 dollar worth of purchases

Aug 29, 2012 at 10:05 AM hey_you_never_know Says:

Wow! This woman is courageous...
Not your typical scary cat and I'm sure she's not affriad of mice either.

Aug 29, 2012 at 10:21 AM Reese Says:

‘I am Muslim, you are Jewish. You are all greedy, why can’t you just let it go?’”

Apparently the fine readers of VIN never heard of a Black Muslim.

Aug 29, 2012 at 10:36 AM AlbertEinstein Says:

Maybe for her daughter. Read the article carefully and you'll find "Mrs." Wohlhendler is married.

Aug 29, 2012 at 10:36 AM O'Malley Says:

I commend Ms. Wohlhender for her bravery! I'm glad that she wasn't harmed by the perpetrator, as some of these thieves, when cornered, will strike out. Regarding identity theft, I had one credit card in which thieves in India used my account number, to charge a number of purchases. However, the customer call center in India promptly called me, and validated those bogus charges, and issued a new credit card; they were very nice about the matter. However, I had another credit card (for almost 40 years), in which a bogus charge for some software was made in a former Soviet republic. When I called the bank to report that fraudulent charge, they treated me with contempt and suspicion, as if I was at fault, and appeared to be suspicious of my story. In any event, the charge was removed. However, I informed them, that I resented the way I was treated, and cancelled that credit card after forty years. These banks are going to have to learn, not to treat their customers like dogs, when something beyond our control, goes wrong!

Aug 29, 2012 at 10:32 AM Ephraim Says:

to #3 and #4:
One can be Muslim and black just as you can be Jewish and Black.

Aug 29, 2012 at 10:39 AM Yamamai Says:

She's married with (a) kid(s) B"H

Aug 29, 2012 at 10:39 AM Yipyap Says:

A frum woman should not be taking such risks. Especially if she has youn g children at home.

Aug 29, 2012 at 10:50 AM Anonymous Says:

Chase is the best, the alert system they have is incredible, you can set up your account to text you when a transaction takes place and it happens immediately, I had once the same story, I wasn’t lucky enough to find the perpetrator but I was able to stop my card immediately before raking up a bill. Good job.

Aug 29, 2012 at 10:48 AM dabet Says:

Yipyap Says:

There are so many things wrong with that idiotic statement that I don't know where to start. But I will say this -
If her husband wasn't one of those finer yidden in kollel it would be perfectly all right, I assume?

Aug 29, 2012 at 10:58 AM Anonymous Says:

Does nobody else notice that this thief has done this before and was released on parole. Identity theft can cause havoc to the person whose identity was stolen and all she got was a slap on the wrist! We should all be furious about this! Btw, great job Dina!!

Aug 29, 2012 at 11:08 AM ALLAN Says:

I am very happy that Mrs. Wohlhendler wasn't hurt during her encounter with this thief. The next question will be whether this anti semitic mamzer and repeat offender will be properly punished or will the legal system just fail us all again by giving her a minor slap on the wrist.

Aug 29, 2012 at 11:14 AM Sherree Says:

Many blacks are Muslim!

Aug 29, 2012 at 11:34 AM Brian Says:

The famous joke is a woman had her credit card stolen yet the husband refused to report it because the thief was spending less than his wife!

Just kidding and only humor intended. Certainly a random joke that I remembered from this article. No offense to this Dina woman.

Aug 29, 2012 at 11:35 AM Mayer Says:

I agree with the first sentence of # 15. She should have immediately called store security and let them deal with it.

Aug 29, 2012 at 11:47 AM AriGold Says:

Its a great story but people need to remember that criminals could be dangerous. This story could have had a very different ending. One where ch"v this young girl could have been hurt. Its not a smart idea to confront criminals.

Aug 29, 2012 at 11:48 AM Babishka Says:

While this makes for an exciting story, Chase should have put a hold on the card after the first suspicious transaction. What if the thief became violent?

I have had several experiences where my CC# was stolen. Bank of America called right away and put a hold on the card. They will refund all transactions that are reported to their fraud department.

Brian regarding your "famous joke" from 50 years ago, you are aware that today women manage their own credit card accounts and frequently make more money than their husbands?

Aug 29, 2012 at 11:54 AM Boruch Says:

Tywanda has 40 prior arrests starting 1982 when she was 20.
She was incarcerated 7 times.

Aug 29, 2012 at 12:01 PM PashutehYid Says:

The business about being greedy. It's ironic, but had she asked straight out for money because she needs help, instead of stealing, she my have gotten more from a Jew than she stole.

Aug 29, 2012 at 12:05 PM ALLAN Says:

Boruch Says:

Tywanda has 40 prior arrests starting 1982 when she was 20.
She was incarcerated 7 times.

Truly an upstanding citizen. The system has failed us when someone with this lenthy rap sheet is back on the streets.

Aug 29, 2012 at 12:04 PM curious Says:

Yasher kochach!

Aug 29, 2012 at 12:56 PM SOYPURE Says:

I live in Brooklyn N.Y. on Sunday Aug 12 2012 at 8:10 pm, I ran out of gas in Trenton N.J., I was asking a motorist for directions to a gas station when an African American male came out of a house and asked the motorist are you going to drive him to the gas station he replied that he is in a rush, the African American offered to drive me to get gas. I said only if I am not interfering with what you are doing he replied I was just going in to break my fast at the mosque as I am a Muslim, but a 1/2 later is no big deal, I had to persuade him to first break his fast he agreed but said the mosque and the gas station are in the same direction that I should come with and wait for him in the car for 10 minutes since it is unsafe to wait at the gas station.

When he was done we bought a tank and gas, he insisted that he pour the gas as I had a long drive before I can wash my hands properly, he then asked me to follow him to the gas station to buy more gas, then he led me to the I 95 back to N.Y. he spent well over a 1/2 an hour with me.

Please do not label Muslims or black people as racssit or violent people as the majority of them are kind and peaceful people.

Aug 29, 2012 at 01:09 PM yaakov doe Says:

In a Moslem country they would have cut off both her hands if she's a repeat offender. The first cutting is a warning and the 2nd cutting is a real deterrent to theft.

Aug 29, 2012 at 01:15 PM ahaa Says:

We got a Women's Hatzalah. Next up Women's Shomrim! Led by Mrs. Wollhendler exciting times indeed!

Aug 29, 2012 at 01:50 PM Butterfly Says:

Citi/Mastercard calls me to verify if it is my purchase!! I have received calls on my cell to verify that it is my purchase!! No problem!! Better to be safe than sorry!!

Aug 29, 2012 at 02:17 PM formercrownheightser Says:

well done done, Dina! Go Girl!!

Aug 29, 2012 at 02:53 PM BLONDI Says:

bravo dina. sadly, but i think she'll be let out again soon and will rob again. btw. where did she get that louis vitton bag??? no person at the register cares that she doesnt look like a dina or that the signature doesnt match.

Aug 29, 2012 at 03:06 PM Blondi, Dear Says:

That Louis Vitton bag was bought on Canal St. Can't you see it's a 'knock-off'?

Aug 29, 2012 at 03:15 PM Photo ID required Says:

I sign all my credit cards in the back with "photo ID required", but, do you know what? Only one clerk ever asked me to show my photo Id! I think everyone should be required to show a photo ID with a credit card, the way things are going these days, and clerks should be trained to ask for it. Also those electronic credit card scanners that you are supposed to sign in some stores do not really record your signature properly, so A photo ID would definitely be in order.

Aug 29, 2012 at 03:19 PM Twisted Mind Says:

Reese Says:

Apparently the fine readers of VIN never heard of a Black Muslim.

Was she trying to imply that she is allowed to steal if she is a Muslim taking a Jewish person's credit card and money? Or that a Jew is not entitled to his credit cards?

Aug 29, 2012 at 03:32 PM shredready Says:

Great job she has guts

Aug 29, 2012 at 03:34 PM bobby1 Says:

Tywanda stole her wallet with money and credit cards and she asks Dina " Why are you all so greedy?" Am I missing something here or is this the "entitlement" mentality until Romney wins the election on November 6th?

Aug 29, 2012 at 04:01 PM Anonymous Says:

Butterfly Says:

stupid. Get the calls on your home phone. Someone can steal your entire purse with your cell and your wallet. Make sure that the companies call you to confirm you want to open a new credit line- but have them call you at your home!!!

Aug 29, 2012 at 05:12 PM Erlich Says:

Eishet Chayil. Woman Of Valor.

Aug 29, 2012 at 04:27 PM SOYPURE Says:

Yes hkb"ch was watching and always is on all his creations and had he wanted this would have turned in to a tragedy, I am thankful to him that not only did it not turn in to a tragedy but he sent a shilauch to limit my in convince .

I am a registered republican with a conservitve opinion on most issues

Intelligent people know that only a small percentage of Muslims are violent and that African Americans who are not involved in crime are very willing to help out others (my Israeli cousin who does not speak a word of English could not figure how to use a metro card in Manhattan an African American walked used his own metro card and wouldn’t take any money)

If you look at history Christians have killed more people in the name of their religion than any other group only in the 20th century have they civilized were they tolerate other religions

Please give the Muslims a chance to rid themselves of dictators modernize their economies and they will also tolerate other religions

Aug 29, 2012 at 10:05 PM HaNavon Says:

Great story!

Aug 29, 2012 at 11:36 PM Robert Says:

Photo ID required Says:

you know what i particularly do not want to show is any ID with a cc transaction
the clerk is supposed to verffy my signature and thats fine
my address and personal information is private period

in europe most cc caeds are chip encoded that require you to enter a pin
i suspect we will see that here in a few years too

Aug 30, 2012 at 01:36 AM kiri49 Says:

Why didn't this STUPID theif use up the cash first? She might never have gotten caught!

Aug 30, 2012 at 05:59 AM Mastercard & Visa Regulations Says:

According to the regulations of Mastercard and Visa, merchants are prohibited from asking for identification of the card holder. Yes, they should verify the signature, but a credit card holder can legally refuse to show any id; a merchant cannot refuse to process a transaction, because of someone refusing to show id. Walmart must have been apprised of these regulations, as it no longer routinely asks for photo id, whenever a credit card is presented.

Aug 30, 2012 at 11:01 AM Ben Says:

Someone can only be black or Muslim but not both.

Aug 30, 2012 at 12:16 PM Sol Says:

"Never mess with a Wollhendler!!!!" Gr8 job Dina!!!

Sep 02, 2012 at 06:42 PM Monseyer Says:

This self professed entitled Muslim could easily have been carrying a knife