Long, Island, NY - Dog Tracks Down And Finds His Owner At The Hospital

Published on: October 5, 2012 10:00 AM

Long, Island, NY - A Bay Shore, Long Island man found out recently that a dog really is man’s best friend when Zander, his 70-pound rescued husky, ran countless miles to find him after he had been admitted to the Good Samaritan Medical Center in Islip.

Channel 7 News reports (http://bit.ly/T5l2WX) that Zander escaped out the back door of the Dolan’s home just before dawn and began running toward the hospital to find his owner, John Dolan. Zander did not stop running until he reached the hospital, where a stranger noticed him and called the phone number listed on his collar.

John answered the phone from his hospital bed and was shocked when a stranger told him Zander was standing across the street from the hospital and needed to be retrieved.

“The dog was really there looking for him,” said Patricia Dolan, John’s wife.

Just how Zander knew where to find his own owner remains a mystery. He had never been to that hospital before.

Los Angeles - A film dramatizing the death of Osama bin Laden is set to debut next month on the National Geographic Channel, two days before the presidential... Jerusalem - Israeli police have stormed a holy site in Jerusalem's Old City, dispersing dozens of Palestinians who police say lobbed rocks at officers. Friday's clash...

You can now automatically hide comments - New!

Don't worry, you can always display comments when you need to.

Oct 05, 2012 at 10:37 AM amazed Says:

how did the dog do it?

Oct 05, 2012 at 11:47 AM Anonymous Says:

Dogs have been special ever since they didn't bark when the Yidden left Mitzraim.

Oct 05, 2012 at 01:08 PM Shlomo2 Says:

Bubbe ma'aseh.

Oct 05, 2012 at 01:45 PM Anonymous Says:

Shlomo2 Says:

Bubbe ma'aseh.

You sound like a typical daled amos ghetto closed minded Yid.

Oct 05, 2012 at 02:51 PM ohdear Says:

Shlomo2 Says:

Bubbe ma'aseh.

why are you saying that? dogs have been known to travel for miles, and months to find their owner. They are usually extremely loyal pets, thats why they make such good seeing eye dogs, seizure dogs etc. This is their gift, this is not Seichel it's their nature.

Oct 05, 2012 at 03:26 PM Benny Says:

When I was a child I had a dog, once we traveled and we made a short stop in one city 50-55 miles from our house, he ran off, after waiting for a period of time we had to leave, I was devastated and cried, he came back couple weeks later all dirty but happy, and I was the happiest child for a long time.

Oct 05, 2012 at 03:27 PM Brooklyn mom Says:

Shlomo2 Says:

Bubbe ma'aseh.

I grew up on a farm in central Jersey. It's NOT a bubbe maaseh. We had loads of dogs all the time to protect wild animals such as groundhogs from attacking our chickens. I can personally attest that our dog, Prince, a German shepherd mix, was so exceptional. There are countless stories, proven, of dogs saving their masters and doing other heroic things. Not for nothing did Adam Harishon name the dog כלב. If you just slightly change the nekudos of the word, it will become "kilev" like the heart. That is what a dog is. He has his heart focused on his master. So don't be so quick to poo poo the story. I, for one, am a believer. I really wish I had a dog now.

Oct 05, 2012 at 01:59 PM soxfan Says:

That's why I like my dog better than people, generally.

Good Shabbos to all!

Oct 05, 2012 at 03:12 PM itchemeir Says:

it is ELEMENTARY. Zander heard someone in the house mention that he was in Good Samaritan Hospital. so Zander looked up the address in the yellow pages!
Skeptics would say that he got there by his master's smell, but my explanation is much more obvious. GOOD YOM TOV!

Oct 05, 2012 at 03:54 PM DRE53 Says:

Ok. I'm going out and getting my dog.
Any recommendations where I can find a good one?

Oct 05, 2012 at 04:42 PM menash Says:

He lives across the hospital;)

Oct 07, 2012 at 01:48 PM Anonymous Says:

Brooklyn mom Says:

I too wish I had a dog now, I still miss the one I had more than 30 years ago.

Oct 07, 2012 at 01:52 PM Brooklyn mom Says:

DRE53 Says:

Ok. I'm going out and getting my dog.
Any recommendations where I can find a good one?

Best dogs are mutts that you can find at the SPCA. Make sure whatever you get is a good breed/mix that deals well with kids. Not just little kids but teens as well. My daughter had a golden retriever who was wonderful with adults and little kids, but when the kids started getting older--around 10-11, the dog snapped at them all the time and unfortunately they had to get rid of the dog. My daughter was heartbroken