New York - Lenovo Overtakes HP As Biggest PC Maker

Published on: October 10, 2012 05:01 PM
By: AP
A sale woman works beside a row of Lenovo desktop computer at a shop in Shenzhen, Guangdong province, southern China, 06 August 2009. A sale woman works beside a row of Lenovo desktop computer at a shop in Shenzhen, Guangdong province, southern China, 06 August 2009.

New York - Research firm Gartner says PCs from Lenovo are outselling Hewlett-Packard for the first time, making the Chinese company the world’s biggest maker of PCs.

Gartner says Lenovo Group Ltd. is taking market share across the world thanks to low prices. It’s the only one of the top four PC makers that is seeing an increase in sales, as the global PC market shrank in the third quarter by 8.3 percent from last year to 87.5 million units.

Consumers are holding off as they await the launch of Microsoft’s new operating system, Windows 8, on Oct. 26.

Lenovo vaulted onto the international scene when it bought IBM’s PC division in 2005. It’s been the No. 2 PC maker in the world for a few years, behind Hewlett-Packard Co.

Syracuse, NY - A judge has ordered New York state to pay $3.5 million to the estate of an Air Force retiree who was killed eight years ago when his car plunged off a... New York - Two Americans won the Nobel Prize in chemistry Wednesday for studies of how the cells in our bodies pick up signals as diverse as hormones, smells, flavors...

Oct 10, 2012 at 05:20 PM Anonymous Says:

They are doing well at both ends of the market. I've used Thinkpad notebooks for over a decade and they are still the best around, even if no longer produced by IBM. My kids use the lower price Ultrabooks and they are solid machines that hold up to a lot of abuse.

Oct 10, 2012 at 06:42 PM Anonymous Says:

I agree. The Lenovo/IBM laptops are extremely durable while the HPs are flashier but don't last as long. A few years ago, HP lost a lot of customers due to bad video chips made by Nvidia and since then, has never really recovered from the ensuing bad publicity and warranty claims.

Oct 10, 2012 at 07:33 PM Babishka Says:

I just bought a Lenovo laptop after my Dell passed away before its time.

Oct 10, 2012 at 07:45 PM samuelhigh Says:

Agreed. Got a brand new top of the line Lenova laptop from work a few months ago. SSD drive and all. Beats anything I've used in the past - especially my Dell laptop!

Oct 11, 2012 at 12:26 AM TexasJew Says:

HP is (was) a big Texas company (like Dell) that didn't keep up with the times. Reminds me of Kodak. But we are #1 in football and beat your pathetic Jets this week.