Teaneck, NJ - Orthodox Shul Takes Rabbi To Task For Bashing Obama

Published on: November 16, 2012 02:04 PM

Teaneck, NJ - Congregation Bnai Yeshurun in Teaneck, New Jersey is home to some two thousand Modern Orthodox Jewish members. At its religious helm is Rabbi Steven Pruzansky, known for his right-wing opinions and his ability to seek out and stir up controversy, including referring to the Rabin administration as the “the Rabin Judenrat”.

Haaretz reports (http://bit.ly/T5WkJN) that Rabbi Pruzansky has once more raised the ire of many of his congregants with his blog post entitled “The Decline and Fall of the American Empire”, wherein he vilifies the “affirmative action president” and the president’s supporters following Mr. Obama’s re-election “nightmare”.

In his post, Rabbi Pruzansky wrote, “One might reasonably object that not every Obama supporter could be unintelligent. But they must then rationally explain how the agenda can be paid for, aside from racking up multi-trillion dollar deficits.”

He also spoke derisively about the immigrant community, attributing Mr. Obama’s win to those “primarily from the Third World” who “do not share the traditional American values that attracted immigrants in the 19th and 20th centuries.” Rabbi Pruzansky noted that, “It is a different world, and a different America. Obama is part of that different America, knows it, and knows how to tap into it.”

In response to Rabbi Pruzansky’s post, the synagogue’s executive board has circulated a petition among its membership to call the “rabbi to order.” Bnai Yeshurun members said that while they appreciate that the rabbi is entitled to free speech, they feel strongly that his blog “insults and denigrates” community members. In fact, they say, the rabbi’s fanaticism has “driven away many members of his congregation over the years” and has led to the establishment of at least seven other synagogues in Teaneck – many of which are filled with the rabbi’s critics, including ADL National Director Abraham Foxman.

Rabbi Pruzansky was apparently unfazed by his congregation’s concerns. In an e-mail he replied, “Unfortunately, you are making a mountain out what is not even a molehill. A handful of members took personally what was a generic statement, in line with today’s American cultural norm of taking offense easily, repeatedly and quickly. In a shul of 2,000 people, this type of disagreement is not really uncommon. In fact, I’m surprised it is not more common. But I respect their right of free speech and am not in the least disturbed by their letter.”

In addition to his position as a shul rabbi, Rabbi Pruzansky serves as a trustee of the Rabbinical Council of America and on the board of the Beth Din of America where he also acts as a judge.

Jerusalem - Defence Minister Ehud Barak will seek cabinet approval for funds that could provide Israel with three new Iron Dome rocket interceptors, officials said on... Jerusalem - Pleasure-loving, wheeler-dealer Tel Aviv withstood Saddam Hussein's Scud missiles 20 years ago and Palestinian suicide bomb attacks a decade later. The...

You can now automatically hide comments - New!

Don't worry, you can always display comments when you need to.

Nov 16, 2012 at 02:11 PM radrad Says:

And he is correct!
Go rabbi pruzansky

Nov 16, 2012 at 02:14 PM Brian Says:

I support the Rabbi 100%. I'm not a congregant of his, rather a congregant of a Crown Heights Shul, yet I agree with many of his sentiments. Regardless of what his opinions are, I support a Rabbi having private sentiments outside his shul. He's not only a Rabbi, he is a private person as well, entitled to rights just like everyone else.

Nov 16, 2012 at 02:22 PM DRE53 Says:

What a chilul hashem and unjewish this is.
As a public figure e should weigh his words before posting them.

Nov 16, 2012 at 02:35 PM monalisa Says:

What did he say that was wrong? On the contrary, he is 100% right. I wish more community leaders would have the guts to speak out.

Nov 16, 2012 at 02:41 PM Anonymous Says:

As a member of his Shul, I am sickened about his speech and plan to leave with my family to join a neighborhood Shul. My wife and I are both educated and have decent careers. We both voted for Obama for our own reasons. I am also upset that Pruzansky has called so much attention to our Shul in the media. No need for us to be affiliated with such negativity caused by one man. Shabbos needs to be peaceful for all members and it no longer is.

Nov 16, 2012 at 02:46 PM Anonymous Says:

DRE53 Says:

What a chilul hashem and unjewish this is.
As a public figure e should weigh his words before posting them.

70% of jews voting for obama is a chillul hasehm,

what the rabbi said is 100% correct, of course if you are freeloading off the system you will hate this, hate him for saying it, but then again the truth hurts

Nov 16, 2012 at 02:47 PM SherryTheNoahide Says:

Yes a person has free speech, but that doesn't give the person the right to use his position to bully other people with it!

If I was in charge of putting together the newsletter of a small, orthodox congregation, made up of probably mostly Republican voters...there's no way I'd use even a small position like THAT to try to gripe & moan about the GOP! For what?! What *good* does that do?!

Those of you saying "Go Rabbi!" & speaking in favor of this sort of thing, can ONLY say you approve of the behavior because he's saying something you like! lol Wait until a young Rabbi in charge of the youth (hypothetical situation here) gets up & cracks jokes about prominent Republican figures & warns people about how it's not moral to vote for them because of their views on the poor...

THEN how would you feel?! You'd feel bullied! You'd feel like it's unfair that you have to sit there & listen to that "garbage", right? All that icky hippie tree-hugger commune talk. :-D

Admit it: if the talk was on the OTHER end of the spectrum, you'd find him to be highly unprofessional & would be complaining yourselves! There's no way you'd just let that go!

So at least be fair, and admit that politics probably just DOESN'T belong in the shuls, in the churches, or anywhere religion based! The most any of 'em ought to be doing is maybe saying general prayers for the President at the most...but that's it! Otherwise, what's going on in the Torah is much more important to our lives!

Nov 16, 2012 at 02:49 PM StevenWright Says:

If something he "passkens" won't be to their liking they'll call him to task too?

Nov 16, 2012 at 03:03 PM what then is the point of a rov!?! Says:

It is a shame when a rov can't say the emes because it will offend some uber liberal wusses.

What they want is Goy Azum v'rov - a goy who happens to be a rov!

Nov 16, 2012 at 03:04 PM DovidTheK Says:

How can any member of an orthodox shul disagree with the Rabbi? Obama is an anti-semite and America has changed for the worse.

Nov 16, 2012 at 03:07 PM Brooklyn mom Says:

Funny. I remember so many years ago that Rabbi Meir Kahane HY"D was criticized for his "inflammatory" statements. Now many of those critics (including me) are saying he was right. So Rabbi Pruzansky, keep on truckin'. Keep a lesson from Rabbi Kahane

Nov 16, 2012 at 03:13 PM 5TResident Says:

I knew Rabbi Pruzansky when he was the Rav at Etz Chaim in Kew Gardens Hills. While I agreed with much of his sentiment, I found his manners of speech to be vile and full of sinas chinum. I once heard him refer to Rabin as "bacteria". Pruzansky is entitled to his views but he needs to tone down the rhetoric.

Nov 16, 2012 at 03:29 PM rationalman Says:

DRE53 Says:

What a chilul hashem and unjewish this is.
As a public figure e should weigh his words before posting them.

oh ...if I disagree with your point of view freedom of speech shall not be granted....this is america he is entitled to voice his opinion and say obama's policies are doomed to fail...what is wrong with you....any figure has a right to express theirs....learn a little history and see how since the founding of this country many educated people disagreed with one another....

Nov 16, 2012 at 03:30 PM ChachoMoe Says:

DRE53 Says:

What a chilul hashem and unjewish this is.
As a public figure e should weigh his words before posting them.

Yep, "UnJewish" indeed ... by the ones that the define "Jewishness" by blindly voting for "Democrat"!

If you would only care to read his entire post located on his website/blog ...'rabbipruzansky' He is indeed on the money!

Nov 16, 2012 at 03:40 PM kehati Says:

This is America and we are all free to voice our political opinions. Having said that, we are also Jews in Golus and should use our sechel when making comments that will be heard by "the world".

Nov 16, 2012 at 03:43 PM yosher Says:

Rabbi Pruzansky is an Ehrlihe Yid, aTalmid Chocham, a well educated scholar and lawyer: his right, nay his obligation, to express his views, reflect his role as a manhig. Foxman is no loss to any shul! If one makes a movie it is Foxman's condemnation that will insure success.

Nov 16, 2012 at 03:49 PM Anonymous Says:

The Rabbi is entitled to his opinions and can exercise his right to freedom of speech outside of work. His congregants are also entitled to consider hiring a new rabbi when his contract expires if they are uncomfortable with someone who has misinformed, racist beliefs and who insults the intelligence of the 70 percent of fellow Yidden who have rational fundamental disagreements with his political views. The same holds true for a Rabbi who publicly demeans the intelligence of Republican Jews and fellow citizens.

Nov 16, 2012 at 04:01 PM mutti Says:

The good thing is that in this election marijuana also became legal in some states. With Obama and weed all will be fine!

Nov 16, 2012 at 06:16 PM Anon Ibid Opcit Says:

It's not just "bashing Obama". It's really nasty, uncharitable remarks oppressing the poor. Combine that with going back and changing them when called on it without owning up to making the changes.

Nov 17, 2012 at 01:56 AM msmarbut Says:

i come from a different tradition -- Reform Judaism, and in Texas -- but find it's virtually impossible to find a Reform rabbi savvy enough to figure out that what has been happening in the country will directly impact Jews. Rabbi Pruzansky, your article is sobering and on target. Count me in as a blog follower.

Nov 17, 2012 at 07:59 AM RobertS Says:

So you voted for Obama and his multi trillion dollar deficit. I hope you don't vote to run your new Shul the same way.

Nov 17, 2012 at 08:05 AM RobertS Says:

In the US, like at Shul, everybody wants more and bigger service offerings, tzedakah, food, infrastructure etc. but at Shul, at least people pay for it instead of demanding that others pay for it.

Nov 17, 2012 at 11:31 AM Anonymous Says:

Only in USA can you fire a Rav.
He's the Rav and the members should listen. If don't agree its fine but he's got the right to voice his opinion!

Besides I agree with him,,,,,

Nov 17, 2012 at 11:51 AM shlomozalman Says:

A shul where everyone likes the Rabbi is not a real shul.

Nov 17, 2012 at 02:17 PM Berl Says:

Rabbi Pruzansky is not only wise, a talmid chocham, a baal tzedaka and a machnis orach, and a tzaddik, he is also correct
Those congregants of his who can not accept what he is saying should leave and join a conservative or reform "church". Or they can open their own Shul ,Congregation Anshei Sodom Adas Korach Bnei Meri

Nov 17, 2012 at 05:06 PM Anonymous Says:

When a rabbi does this as his platform to interact with Israel, he undermines any authority that Hashem has placed in him as a rabbi. I am sure that G-d is a G-d of equal rights and we all have a right to vote Democrat or Republican as Americans.

Nov 17, 2012 at 06:16 PM rivka Says:

I agree with you. Rabbi Prusansky is indeed entitled to his opinion and can bash Obama or any other public figures or policies he wants. However, it is quite unbecoming of a Rabbi, or anyone for that matter, to insult, bash or belittle as "untintelligent" anyone who disagrees with him. In addition, Rabbi Prusansky's statement only belittles himself and his own character, since a more upstanding person would not have to belittle others in order to justify his own opinion.

Nov 17, 2012 at 06:46 PM Former Yeshivah Bochur Says:

5TResident Says:

You disagree with "... I once heard him refer to Rabin as "bacteria" ...".
Assuming that's true ...
Rabin ordered soldiers under his command to shoot at opposing Jewish soldiers swimming in the harbour (after his soldiers sank the Altalena). I think he's being charitable in referring to this Roitzeiach as bacteria. Sinas Chinom against this Rosho? You must be kidding.

Nov 17, 2012 at 06:47 PM David R Says:

DovidTheK Says:

How can you label Obama as an anti-semite if his chief of staff is an orthodox Jew and he has given more aid to Israel than most previous administrations. Unfortunately you are so influenced by the extreme rhetoric of the ultra conservative racist press who are out to demonize Obama beyond any rational reason. And where are the Torah values of the Republican party which does not believe that the government should take care of the poor and disabled, does not believe in gun and climate control, and tries to prevent stem cell research that can help eradicate diseases? Perhaps Hashem brought about hurricane Sandy just around election time that helped reelect Obama to demonstrate that we need a government agency like FEMA to help those in need (which Romney wanted to get rid of).

Nov 17, 2012 at 06:48 PM itchemeir Says:

kul hakavod to Rav Pruzansky! let his opponents leave and open a new shul: cong. Yoshvei Choshech uBaalei Riv.

Nov 17, 2012 at 06:49 PM obamanation Says:

oy - i don't like that rabbi!

Nov 17, 2012 at 06:53 PM yosher Says:

I have now become aware of the source of this email attack on the Rav: I would expect that this particular family would not dare attack a Rav, for any reason whatsoever, for the next ten generations! Know from where you come.

Nov 17, 2012 at 06:57 PM Tsvi Zilberstein Says:

Good riddance

Nov 17, 2012 at 06:58 PM Reb Yid Says:

The most unpopular thing in the world is emes (truth), and anyone who is going to have the courage to go public with the emes needs to have a lot of courage. May Hashem give Rabbi Pruzansky and all others who selflessly espouse unpopular truths the strength to withstand the inevitable backlash by those in power and the masses who either don't think for themselves or whose main motives are keeping in their comfort zones. YASHER KOACH to Rabbi Pruzansky. May Hashem bless you for your courageous stand on many ethical issues where others fear to tread.

Nov 17, 2012 at 07:02 PM Anonymous Says:

I met Rav Pruzansky on Sukkos 1988. I like him and I certainly understand why people criticize him. Those people are wrong and he is right. Had our Jewish brothers and sisters who just voted for Mr. Obama lived in 1932 Germany, they probably would have voted for A.H. y's.

I did not write that B.O. = A. H. He does not. However, the same brain cancer that moved some German Jews in 1932 to vote for A. H. has moved about 70% of American Jewish voters to vote for Mr. Obama.

Nov 17, 2012 at 07:07 PM jackr Says:

Kol HaKavod to Rabbi Pruzansky. It's nice to finally see leaders in the Jewish community who aren't afraid to say it like it is.

Nov 17, 2012 at 07:09 PM shayaB Says:

A Shul should not just reflect the personality and opinions of its' congregants. The job of a Rav is to lead, not follow. If the Rav is not a good fit for this Kehilla perhaps they should part company but a Rav should not be treated like a dog to be lead around on a leash. It denigrates the Rav and gives the Shul board the feeling that they are ultimately in charge. This is not Kavod Harav. It sounds like many of those who are upset with the Rav's posting feel that their opinion is more important that the Rav. This may be the way a democracy works, but Torah is not a Democracy. Good luck to everyone involved but public bickering helps no one.

Nov 17, 2012 at 07:12 PM Anonymous Says:

And none of those reasons having to do with being Jewish and Israel. You may both be educated, but seem to have a void the part of your education that should have taught you the connection you to Am Yisrael. You are American, but you are Jewish first.

Nov 17, 2012 at 07:27 PM Sherree Says:

Jews can be their own worst enemies. When I read how many Jews and from which areas voted for Obama, and for what reasons, it sickened me. I agree with the Rabbi. It frightens me that Obama has four more years to play golf and play with our lives not to mention the future of our children and grandchildren. It is a scary proposition. I don't trust him, I have no faith in him and I was extremely depressed when I watched the outcome of the election. HE is NOT a friend of Israel nor a friend of the Jews in general. But WE as a whole nation are stupid people. WE do NOT recognize the signs Hashem sends us. WE are so busy prophesizing, judging, and blaming others for everything that goes wrong in our lives that we refuse to see the writing on the wall.

When something bad happens it is a message to each and every one of us, not to our neighbors and NOT to the goyim down the block. WE need to internalize and see what we each have to do in our own lives, in our own daled amos, and in our own relationships to make our own tikun. After we each correct ourselves then we can worry about tikun olam! So lets remember that when people come up with other theories.

Nov 17, 2012 at 07:28 PM neezoogshoin Says:

When I studied at FDU, I would often pop in for mincha there. There was usually a shiur after mincha, and I really enjoyed listening to him. He is very strong-minded, and I give him credit for sticking to his beliefs and not allowing some misguided members to distract him from voicing his honest and informed opinion.

Nov 17, 2012 at 07:42 PM Anonymous Says:

Berl Says:

Are you advocating that if we do not accept your party line, we must abandon Torah? Good luck in heaven.

Nov 17, 2012 at 08:31 PM Reb Yid Says:

Hey. If the majority of Americans voting for Obama means they get to have Obama as President, then 2000 members at this shul get to have Rabbi Pruzansky as their rav. If you don't like democracy then you can't have Obama as your President.

Nov 17, 2012 at 08:33 PM Nachum Says:

To #40-Sherree- I voted for Obama in 2012, and I am very glad that I did so. I am getting a little tired of the defamatory remarks from other Yidden, who allege that we didn't know what we were doing, that we were not too intelligent to have done so, are not religious enough, or are not good enough as "they" are. I can sleep well at night, knowing that I made the right choice. Also, all of this propaganda that Obama is no friend of EY, is bubba meises. Even Ehud Barak, the most heavily decorated soldier in the history of the IDF, has repeatedly stated that Obama supplied EY with the Iron Dome system, has shared an unprecedented amount of intelligence, and has supplied other weapons systems to EY. Further, he stated that in recent memory, no other American President has been so supportive, pertaining to military matters, as Obama has been. Case closed!

Nov 17, 2012 at 08:46 PM Kzler Says:

Sherree Says:

Dear Lady I lived through 4 yrs of concentration camp and Mr. Romney's promise that Mr. Santorum will have a VOICE in his administration frightened me and I voted for the President. It was the holy Catholics who accused me of deicide, in 1945 the ratline in Rome manned by Catholic Bishops made possible the escape of the worst war ciminals Stangl commandant of Treblinka, Mengele the degenerate using Jewish children for experiments, Eichmann the executor of the Wannsee Conference. Mr. Romney beside being a political weather vane showed that the means justify the end. Finally there is a Latin proverb vox populi vox deii. Your enemy is your history illiteracy and your friends the N.K. who prayed to the Almighty for the success of Ahminijad. You are an illiterate in history

Nov 17, 2012 at 09:00 PM Kzler Says:

Sherree Says:

I don't know if your family came here by the Mayflower otherwise you are here because of liberal immigration policy and President Truman was the man who recognized Israel despite of the "fine Republican objection". It was a wall street law firm Sullivan&Cromwell; which played footsie with German SS and SD officers and it was a Mr. McCloy who ranted against the denazification. Lack of knowledge is a mortal illness from which you suffer

Nov 17, 2012 at 09:11 PM Kzler Says:

I voted for the President , lived through 4 yrs of concentration camp. Your black hatted, long peyes wearing spiritual brethren hobbnobbed wi th Nazis and prayed to the Almighty for Mr. Ahminjad's success.

Nov 17, 2012 at 09:29 PM Buchwalter Says:

Sherree Says:

Sheree on the ramps of Birkenau not "schwarze" selected who goes into the gas chambers but tall blond some blackhaired SS{Totenkopfstandarte-skull and bone] left and right of which you have not the foggiest idea never saw it, but pontificates who is his worst enemy. Lady you have a lot learn but "zu spaet"

Nov 17, 2012 at 09:38 PM Anonymous Says:

David R Says:

We'll see if your humming the same tune when your taxes go through the roof,
Unless your one of those " redistribute the wealth" leeches, sponging off the rest of us

Nov 17, 2012 at 09:43 PM Crazykanoiy Says:

DovidTheK Says:

You obviously do not understand what a true anti-Semite is. President Obama has an Orthodox Chief of Staff, is surrounded by Jewish advisers, has appointed a Jewish Supreme Court Justice and has given unprecedented amounts of money to Israel for its defense. How would that qualify as being an anti-Semite? Perhaps it is your own bigotry that must be checked.

Nov 17, 2012 at 09:46 PM ShameOnYou Says:

Nachum Says:

So let me hear your intelligent reason for voting for obama.

Nov 17, 2012 at 09:47 PM Crazykanoiy Says:

I don't understand the whole fuss. Rabbi Pruzansky wrote in his article that the majority of the American people are dumb and greedy and therefore the only hope is to move to Eretz Yisrael. If the Rabbi plans on following his own advice then there is no need for the members of the Shul to call him to order.

Nov 17, 2012 at 09:50 PM Anonymous Says:

Nachum Says:

So 99% of comments favor the Rabbi, just so you critics know that you are opinion is very strange.

Nov 17, 2012 at 09:58 PM Anonymous Says:

Pruzansky is entitled to his views, but I suspect that his congregation will soon provide him ample time to express them. B'yh, he will not be rav at this or any other shul by this time next year. How he can support the racist agenda of the right wing bigots who have taken control of the Republican party is beyond understanding. The Jewish voters of American voted 3:1 for Obama. The Jewish voters of NJ strongly rejected the candidacy of a so called "chassidic" rav who also ran on an anti_Obama agenda against a respected Democratic candidate who has served his community well and has been a friend of EY.

Nov 17, 2012 at 11:13 PM ChachoMoe Says:

Kzler Says:

With all due respect, allow me to quote Obama:

"And the 1940's are now calling to ask for their policies back....

I hope you get the message.

Nov 17, 2012 at 11:18 PM Anonymous Says:

Even if you did not write... People like you are really overdoing it -- stop using the anything from the Holocaust in anyway to compare! (and no, I did NOT vote for BO)

Nov 17, 2012 at 11:35 PM Anonymous Says:

SherryTheNoahide Says:

"Wait until a young Rabbi in charge of the youth (hypothetical situation here) gets up & cracks jokes about prominent Republican figures & warns people about how it's not moral to vote for them because of their views on the poor"

We have plenty of those, but they are not Rabbis, one e.g. Obama's former Pastor J Wright.
In any case, a) he is indeed speaking from a Torah perspective, it is not only politics. (If you would care to read his Blog 'rabbipruzansky' ). b) The above was not a speech/sermon he gave in the very synagogue, it was on his own private blog. c) Through out history, many Jewish leaders were asked regarding politics by their followers, and in most cases - highly respected. It is one thing if he is using his position for his very own political benefit, but he's honestly raising his deepest concern regarding essential issues that effect our very day-to-day lives. Even if you don't agree with his opinion.

Nov 18, 2012 at 12:09 AM menachmcpa Says:

Anonymous, RABBI Pruzansky is a Musmach who is well learned in the ways of the world as is evident by his success as a Rabbi at his synagogue, which he helped bring into prominence in the last 20+ years. He wi8ll continue to be Rabbi there, with the good blessings of his congregants and he will continue to lead the Jewish community of the State of New Jersey as an exemplary figure for many years to come. I know him to be one who NEVER shoots from the hip, but rather researches all the different views that he ultimately champions. He is very artiuculate and will always take a stand which is in accordance with Halachah and the basic current, and heart beat of Torah true Jews.

Nov 18, 2012 at 02:16 AM Smokey Says:

In most Orthodox shuls, it is the yinger mesnchen in Amani suits, the ones who have good jobs, who speak so fervently about how important it is that Republicans win elections because Republicans will cut down on entitlements, free-loaders, food stamps, etc. but I have often wondered if these young people have ever consulted their own parents about their positions, that is, the senior citizens who are worried that their social security pensions will be cut down, their Medicare and Medicaid will be affected, their local food supply programs will be eliminated. Next time you hear someone in your shul wave the flag for the Grand Old Party, ask him how his grand old mommy and grand old daddy are getting along, if he throws them a few bennys ($100 bills) once in a while, and which party's candidates their parents are supporting these days.

Nov 18, 2012 at 03:13 AM Kzler Says:

Without the destruction of European Jews there would not be an Israel, a lot of your friends' parents would not have been able to enter America and the lesson is valuable because it highlights ethical between unethical behavior namely Adelson. The Director of the Washington Holocaust museum Ms. Bloomfield just wrote a two page article that the "Holocaust" is now more relevant than ever. The reason you don't like is because the same low type of individuals rejoiced about the tragedy in that time as today , yes they were Jews. Just look to your bearded friends the NK

Nov 18, 2012 at 03:37 AM teshuva movement Says:

i agree with what he says & can just say one message about the future that awaits us ahead

i’m watching as the situation & economy gets worse & worse. And the craziest part about it is, that it doesn’t surprise me or shock me this entire country is about to collapse slowly but surely. The world is run by Hashem & nobody else (not obama or the gedolim etc…)
you can save yourself now from losing everything, by stopping on depending on the government & depend on Hashem alone & then you will not lack anything & actually have a smooth & happy life.
be prepared for all your rights & freedoms to be taken away slowly but surely-not in one shot-& soon WE will not be able to live in the USA as frum yidden. all our rights & freedoms are being taken from us one at a time & the USA is about to become what used to be communist russia.
pack your bags NOW & head for Eretz Yisroel, while the pressure is not so hard & before america is attacked by iran. for then it will be too late & everyone will be leaving in poverty, wishing they had left-now-when they were told

Nov 18, 2012 at 08:52 AM rivka Says:

teshuva movement Says:

Well don't you think that it is Hashem who wanted Obama to win??

Nov 18, 2012 at 09:27 AM Kzler Says:

rivka Says:

Well don't you think that it is Hashem who wanted Obama to win??

who do you think guides the world

Nov 18, 2012 at 09:36 AM mytaxguy Says:

rivka Says:

Well don't you think that it is Hashem who wanted Obama to win??

What a stupid thing to say. Ofcourse everything that happens is the will of Hashem. However shoild we do nothing? We should not give Tzeddakah because Hashem wants them to be ppor? We should not fight in Gaza because HAshem wants more Jews to die? We should not try to earn a living because whatever parnasa we are supposed to have we will have regardless? Don't eat healthy because Hashem determines when we will die anyway?

Nov 18, 2012 at 12:33 PM Josh38 Says:

Look at the Cross Currents site where the negative comments about the article outweighed the positive ones by about 4 to 1. And the typical reader of that blog is not a left-leaning Obama voter. The point of most of the negative comments there were objecting to the offensive and insulting tone of R' Pruzansky's article, not to whether we should have voted for Obama or Romney.

Nov 18, 2012 at 12:35 PM bewhiskered Says:

“Primarily from the Third World” who “do not share the traditional American values that attracted immigrants in the 19th and 20th centuries.”

Of course, the 19th century was a time of much more traditional American values such as slavery! And, feral racists like Pruzansky would simply love to re-instate that great American Southern institution! In addition to their hatred of minorities, the other common denominator that bigots share is their pathetic cowardice to admit to being bigots. Pruzansky is no different!

Nov 18, 2012 at 05:31 PM rivka Says:

mytaxguy Says:

I do not understand why you are saying that I am the stupid one. I replied to someone who is all worked up that Obama won, at the same time that he says Hashem runs the world. Do you guys think that Hashem made a mistake by having Obama win? That if you gave more tzedaka, etc. then Romney would have won? Maybe you should READ the comments before writing something just because you like to hear yourself talk!!! And to all the Romney fans - get over it, he lost.

Nov 18, 2012 at 06:10 PM Smokey Says:

"Thank God we have in America perhaps the largest percentage of any country in the world of the pure, unadulterated Anglo-Saxon stock; certainly the greatest of any nation in the Nordic breed. It is for the preservation of that splendid stock that has characterized us that I would make this not an asylum for the oppressed of all countries, but a country to assimilate and perfect that splendid type of manhood that has made America the foremost Nation in her progress and in her power, and yet the youngest of all the nations. I myself believe that the preservation of her institutions depends upon us now taking counsel with our condition and our experience during the last World War."

These words were spoken by Senator Ellison DuRant Smith of South Carolina on April 9, 1924, in a speech in Congress in support of the Johnson-Reed Act of 1924, an act which was informally known as the "Shut the Door Act", and which severely limited immigration of Jews from eastern European countries, and Italians from Italy. Sound familiar?

Nov 18, 2012 at 11:58 PM David Says:

70% of jews voting for obama is a chillul hasehm,

Do you consider the elderly who are on Medicare and the disabled who are on Medicaid and those who recently lost their homes from Sandy and seeking gvt assistance from FEMA as freeloaders? If so, then I think your values are greatly perverted and it is people like you who is causing a chillul hashem.

Nov 19, 2012 at 12:02 AM Anonymous Says:

SherryTheNoahide Says:

Amen - I agree with you 100%. People don't look at it as it works both ways.

Nov 19, 2012 at 12:20 AM Anonymous Says:

This is way out of line to even remotely compare Obama with Hitler. And the fact that Obama is demonstrating strong support for Israel at this time shows just how wrongheaded you are. You are obviously a very sick person to even suggest this.

Nov 19, 2012 at 12:36 AM Anonymous Says:

Sherree Says:

You are correct that Jews can be our own worst enemies but not for the reasons you cited. Somehow we orthodox Jews are demonizing Obama for no good reason and mainly I suspect due to his race. He is not the Sonei Yisroel that people make him out to be and certainly not any worse than most of our prior presidents. He is currently showing strong support for Israel and we should not be so quick to vilify him at this time.

Nov 19, 2012 at 04:27 AM Myanmar Says:

It's really worse than what was described in the article.
The content in this person's blog is based on a myth. The myth is that the welfare state he is asserting is not the casue of any problem the country has.
No sum total of "fraudulent" receipt of welfare state money in the U.S. has ever been understood by the consensus of economists as being the reason for downturns in the U.S. economy. And that's the point. Critiquing the lie of this blog should start with massive inundation of demands that he provide the evidence that fraudulent receipt of money today is a material part of the December 2007 through June 2009 recession and a material part of the lagging recovery. He can't, because it isn't even a first glance belief by any consensus of independent economists.

From this point onwards we can dismiss the content of the article as being from a typical person with a fabulous memory who uses the memory and literary eloquence to draw irrational and irrelevant conclusions that are belied by the data. If we respond at every turn to content like this by PUSHING BACK against writers of fictional CONCLUSIONS by pointing out the conclusions are nonsense, we can marginalize them

Nov 19, 2012 at 01:33 AM Anti-bigot Says:

ShameOnYou Says:

So let me hear your intelligent reason for voting for obama.

I believe he just gave it. I would instead like to hear your intelligent reason for not voting for him. Is it becuase he is a foreign born un-G-dly commie-loving socialist and arab terrorist sympathizer who is out to destroy both the US and the world, or perhaps because you are of the lucky 1% of the economic strata who couldn't care less about us 99%?

Nov 19, 2012 at 02:04 AM bewhiskered Says:

DovidTheK Says:

"Obama is an anti-semite and America has changed for the worse."

And, you are a bigoted flagrant racist, who makes rash and unsupported statements of the highest caliber of stupidity, Clem! Go sit with Pruzansky!

Nov 19, 2012 at 10:01 AM Anonymous Says:

SherryTheNoahide Says:

First of all, ther griping and moaning about the GOP makes obvious that you don't know that the GOP is the republican party, not the democratic.

If you feel politics does not belong in the synagogue, where do you expect Israel and this government's support (or lack of it) to be discussed? or do you think that is not political?

Also, he did not say that this was the Jewish opinion, or the shul's opinion, only that it was his opinion, and that is something he has every right to do. I have no ides where you see bullying in that. He cannot possibly be bullying people about how to vote, as you claim, since his commetns discussed the reelection, obviously to late to persuade anyone to vote for anything.

Lastly, he is correct in his remarks. The country's black population voted overwhemingly for Obama, by all accounts the lowest estimate of african-americans who voted Obama was 94%, and most were higher.

Nov 19, 2012 at 10:06 AM Anonymous Says:

rivka Says:

Rivka,

no, of course Gd didn't make a mistake by having Obama win, just like he did not make a mistake in allowing hitler to succeed, or Hurricanes Sandy, Irene or Katrina.

Just because YOU don't see why Gd does something does not mean that Gd does not have a good reason, you just don't know or understand what it is.

Romney "fans" have gotten over his loss, that doesn't make Obama any more appealing. If you believe that Obama is supporting Israel, you must be living in a cave.

As to that and the rest of your comment, you only prove how uneducated and ignorant you are.

Nov 19, 2012 at 10:10 AM Anonymous Says:

bewhiskered Says:

Aside from the clear fact that the nineteenth century is when slavery was abolished, I guess I am a racist too, since I believe in the Torah which clearly allowed slavery.

also what does the commenter's statement about immigrants being attracted in the nineteenth and twentieth century? Clearly, the immigrants in the 20th century and late 19th century had no connection to the slavery issue as you suggest.

You are clearly ignorant and an incredible idiot.

Nov 19, 2012 at 11:04 AM Smokey Says:

As a general rule, it's not prudent for a rabbi to voice his support for one candidate or another while speaking in shul, because the shul stands to lose its tax exemption as a result. I've noticed lately, that many Orthodox rabbis have given the knock to Obama. It's as though they feel very restricted in applying the rules of loshon hora to fellow Jews, so they must vent their anger at what they consider a nice goyishe target, so why not Obama? Not only is he a goy, but one that is half-Christian and half-Muslim so you get 2 for 1 on one knock. Meanwhile, Obama keeps supporting Israel's handling of the Hamas terrorists. Menachem Begin, himself, couldn't have shown a stronger attitude in favor of Israel's right to respond to the rockets from Israel's enemies than Obama has. So yasher koach to Barack Obama, and let's give him a ticker tape parade down Main Street of Teaneck, NJ.

Nov 19, 2012 at 01:01 PM bewhiskered Says:

You are clearly ignorant and an incredible idiot.

Nov 20, 2012 at 12:22 AM Anonymous Says:

bewhiskered Says:

You have no answer, so you attack me personally.

You were the one who brought up slavery, a non-issue in the late 19th and entire 20th century which is the time period that was being discussed, and now you just make stupid statements and attack me, as if it will hurt my feelings being insulted by a chimpanzee like you.

So what makes me a "rabid racist"? You know nothing about me other than that I think you're an idiot who misspelled "bewildered" as "bewhiskered". That makes me a racist? And as an aside, I can compare any two things I like, without your permission, and clearly without your comprehension, as you cannot explain what is wrong with comparing slavery to slavery, except that it leaves you at a loss for words.

Who is this Pruzansky you are inviting me to sit with, and why is he my role model? Or is this another one of your disconnected thoughts that has no basis in reality?

Nov 20, 2012 at 12:27 AM Anonymous Says:

bewhiskered Says:

bewhiskered Says: “ "I guess I am a racist too, since I believe in the Torah which clearly allowed slavery." : --->Not only are you are rabid racist, but to compare עבדות in the תורה with slavery of the antebellum 19th century South, you are also an עם הארץ דאורייתא! Yes, you are a racist, Gomer! Go sit with your role model Pruzansky! ”
********************************************************************

Sir,

I don't understand your comment.

#78 made a statement that said "I believe in the Torah which clearly allowed slavery." which you appear to have taken issue with. Why? Do you NOT believe that the Torah clearly allowed slavery? If so, you are completely misinformed. If you do believe slavery was allowed, what are you so upset about? It seems to have been a simple statement, and you either agree or disagree; please explain?

Nov 20, 2012 at 09:31 PM Smokey Says:

The way the rabbonim explain it is that the Torah recognizes the institution of slavery as a human weakness, but that slavery is not accepted as an institution that can be morally justified under Torah law. The same attitude applies in the case of a woman captured in war by a Jewish soldier. She is allowed to go through a mourning period for her parents before the soldier can marry her, but such behavior by the Jewish soldier should not be encouraged. Here is the explanation in the words of the distinguished rabbi, Rabbi Beryl Wein:

"There is a conception in Torah that the Torah dealt with the reality of the weakness of human behavior and allowed under very strict and hoarded circumstances behavior and institutions, which were not in the purview of the great moral framework.".

Nov 21, 2012 at 04:49 AM Anonymous Says:

Smokey Says:

Something sounds wrong with you explanation, like, "people hav the propensity to steal, so while we do not approve of it, we will condone it and make may many laws about it". Don't see why this couldn't logically be extended to child molesting and same-sex marriages, considering the weakness of human behavior as you put it.

Sorry, something doesn't shtim here, especially when you are supposed to let yourself be killed before allowing certain things, not say, "oh, well, people are too weak to resist slavery", which quickly becomes "to resist treif", "mechalel Shabbos, or "inset your aveirah here.)

Nov 21, 2012 at 07:28 AM bewhiskered Says:

********************************************************************

Sir,

I don't understand your comment.

"Do you NOT believe that the Torah clearly allowed slavery? If so, you are completely misinformed. If you do believe slavery was allowed, what are you so upset about? It seems to have been a simple statement, and you either agree or disagree; please explain?"

For some reason, my response did not appear, but, let me try again. The comparison between 19th century slavery in the South and עבדות in the תורה is a ridiculous comparison. For, the גמרא in קידושין כ"ב ע"א clearly states:

שלא תהא אתה אוכל פת נקיה והוא אוכל פת קיבר אתה שותה יין ישן והוא שותה יין חדש אתה ישן על גבי מוכין והוא ישן על גבי תבן מכאן אמרו כל הקונה עבד עברי כקונה אדון לעצמו

"The master may not eat white bread while the עבד eats inferior bread. The master may not drink aged wine, while the עבד drinks non aged wine. And, the master may not sleep on feathered bedding, while the עבד sleeps on straw. From here it is said that whoever purchases a Jewish עבד, purchases a master over himself!"

Does that sound like the 19th century slavery of the antebellum South? People who are עמי הארץ should not open their mouths regarding תורה, nor should they insult others who are more knowledgeable.

Nov 21, 2012 at 08:42 AM Anonymous Says:

bewhiskered Says:

Apparently you believe that every slave in the south was an eved ivri, which I can definitively say is not the case. notwithstanding that, you are attempting to make the argument about "rules" of slavery, not the institution. In fact, Jews were way ahead of gentiles on this topic, in that there were several classes of slaves, entire sets of laws on how to treat them, etc.

My comment simply said that Jews believed and practiced slavery many, many years before the Americans.

You are quibbling about slaves were treated, and your comment is describing a class of slaves that didn't exist in America.

I claimed that Jews had the institution of slavery, as did the South, which is true. Your response that they cannot be compared because one treated slaves better is irrelevant and off-point. any two things, dissimilar as they may be may be conpared.

For instance, I am a member of Mensa, you are barely a chimpanzee. we are on opposite ends of the human intellectual capability, yet we can be compared: to oversimplify, I am much better than you. that fact doesn't abrograte the ability to compare the two of us. we may be different, but we CAN be compared.

Back to Chelm with you!

Nov 21, 2012 at 08:46 AM Anonymous Says:

bewhiskered Says:

You are sad, pathetic little man. You are comparing slavery to slavery. it doesn't matter how nice the Jews may have been (and you are describing Jewish slaves, not gentile one, who could have been taken unwillingly as sexual slaves by their jewish masters.

Nov 21, 2012 at 09:07 AM bewhiskered Says:

Back to Chelm with you!

"For instance, I am a member of Mensa.....I am much better than you."

Mensa, you say? Sure! And, I'm the king of Siam! But, go ahead and keep insulting others, as that is the pathetic best that you can do! I will not reciprocate by calling you a chimpanzee, because it would be unethical to insult the simian world!

Nov 21, 2012 at 09:10 AM bvewhiskered Says:

"The Jews practiced slavery, the south practiced slavery. they did it differently in some respects? so what? they still both believed in slavery."

No, I did not think you were capable of seeing the difference in my response. But, go ahead and keep insulting others, as that is the pathetic best an ignoramus like you can do!

Nov 22, 2012 at 01:02 AM Anonymous Says:

bvewhiskered Says:

I don't think ANYONE can see the difference in your response. So what is it?

Nov 22, 2012 at 01:03 AM Anonymous Says:

bvewhiskered Says:

why are you mad at someone else because you can't answer his question?

Nov 22, 2012 at 08:11 AM woodstock3 Says:

bvewhiskered Says:

you sound like a bitter, angry person. answer the commenter's question if you can, say you can't if you can't.

there is no reason to insult each other over what either is a historical fact or not. Don't we have enough problems already?

Nov 25, 2012 at 05:59 PM Old_Chief Says:

I can see the Rabbi is one with the psycho-Baptists, and other evangelicals. Politically ideological demigods have no place in the pulpit. Take this one down.

Jul 17, 2013 at 12:06 AM jpeditor Says:

"We both voted for Obama for our own reasons."

What reason was that, to stab America and Israel in the back?

For a free obama-phone? To make extra money destroying the U.S. economy? Selling arms to the Muslim Brotherhood?

Any shomer shabbat / kosher jew who voted for obama needs to have their head examined, or just convert out already.

When you daven, everything you daven for is negated by voting for Obama.

Aug 18, 2013 at 05:53 PM SmittytheKraut Says:

radrad Says:

And he is correct!
Go rabbi pruzansky

You can bet that he is correct. The man is telling it like it is, but it puzzles me that there are those in the Jewish community who have stuck their heads in the sand and have refused to recognize what has happened to America, and right under our noses! Where have you people been? On the moon?

Aug 18, 2013 at 06:49 PM Anonymous Says:

DRE53 Says:

What a chilul hashem and unjewish this is.
As a public figure e should weigh his words before posting them.

He did! He said what he believed and supplied logic, a knowledge of history and a sense of what is wrong with the thinking of too many of those of us who expect to live off the earnings of others. If this is "unjewish," I'm glad I am not a Jew. I was always under the impression that Jews were at the top of the intelligence/logic food chain. I hope I am not wrong.