New York - Replacement Sheitels Are Among The Donations Received By Sandy Victims

Published on: November 21, 2012 11:06 AM
Joshua Shepelsky styles a wig at Flora By Design. Photo: DNAinfoJoshua Shepelsky styles a wig at Flora By Design. Photo: DNAinfo

New York - When wigmaker Flora Shepelsky learned that expensive wigs belonging to religious Jewish women lay among the ruins of Hurricane Sandy in seaside communities like the Rockaways and Sea Gate, she decided she wanted to give back by donating new ones.

“We decided to donate to the religious community because they were devastated,” Shepelsky, who owns Design by Flora in the Upper East Side, told DNAinfo.com (http://bit.ly/UHjO5b). “People have so much more on their mind right now – they’re walking around in scarves.”

Shepelsky will be giving away replacement hairpieces – specifically 100 new hat falls and band falls – at her Manhattan store located at 243 East 78th Street on Mondays, and at her Teaneck, NJ store while supplies last. “We decided to donate wigs because obviously a lot of women lost wigs, and they need it,” she said. They’re so dazed and confused at this point. I want to make sure I extend the offer to whoever can get to me.”

So far, Shepelsky says she has received dozens of desperate calls at both of her stores from women eager to return to some kind of normalcy. “It’s just a pure good deed I wanted to do for the community that has fed my family for over 20 years. It’s something I felt like I had to do,” she remarked.

New York - United Airlines bears no responsibility for suspected security lapses at a Maine airport that allowed hijackers onto the American Airlines plane that crashed... Washington - The number of people seeking U.S. unemployment aid remained elevated for a second straight week because Superstorm Sandy forced many people to seek...

You can now automatically hide comments - New!

Don't worry, you can always display comments when you need to.

Nov 21, 2012 at 11:11 AM Babishka Says:

I kind of think that the money should go to more urgent needs, like food and shelter. Ladies can always wear a hat or tichel.

Nov 21, 2012 at 11:21 AM brooklyn mom Says:

It may seem insignificant to some people, however it is a wonderful gesture so that women can feel a little good about themselves. Now if somewhere there can be a store for men for new hats or kids for headbands or yarmulkes and tzitzis for younger boys. New Taleisim or even tefillin. Siddurim- Ashkenaz, Sfard, Sfardi and Ari, chumashim, school supplies, cute pencils and pencil cases for little kids, crayons, coloring paper etc. coloring books.

Nov 21, 2012 at 11:22 AM A tichel wearing, storm affected women Says:

Babishka Says:

Yes technically they can were something else. but why not give them back their pride, its something that money itself doesnt buy

Nov 21, 2012 at 12:06 PM Reb Yid Says:

Babishka Says:

Perhaps she can give them more money by donating the wig and associated services than by giving them cash. I suppose an alternative would have been to have a wig sale with the proceeds going to the victims. But it seems that everyone is donating what they have--I don't think you need to do a cheshbon to determine whether the victims "really" need it or not.

Nov 21, 2012 at 12:10 PM Yiddl Says:

A tichel wearing, storm affected women Says:

I am curious to know what a sheitel has to do with a womens pride?

Nov 21, 2012 at 12:22 PM Anonymous Says:

Hats do not cover the hair according to Halacha. Tichels, or sheitels are necessary

Nov 21, 2012 at 12:27 PM Anonymous Says:

A tichel wearing, storm affected women Says:

You misunderstand. A frum baas yisroel whose family has lost their home and belongings will worry foremost about getting a roof over their heads, feeding the kids, and getting some normalcy back in their lives so they can do their homework and keep up with their schoolwork and friends. Getting a replacement sheitel is the last thing they will worry about. Its a nice gesture but there are much higher priority needs that are going unmet.

Nov 21, 2012 at 12:30 PM Babishka Says:

A tichel wearing, storm affected women Says:

I don't feel like my dignity is taken away if I am wearing a hat instead of a $2000 European-hair shaitel.

Nov 21, 2012 at 01:46 PM yishmor Says:

True said its very nice of the shaitle store donating shaitles but there are more importand things to do with the money then replacing a $2000 shaitle .

Nov 21, 2012 at 01:58 PM OccupyAgudah Says:

Yiddl Says:

I am curious to know what a sheitel has to do with a womens pride?

That's very misleading. It's not a matter of you not knowing. You simply don't care.

Nov 21, 2012 at 02:03 PM mewhoze Says:

its kind and thoughtful and there should not be another word said other than ''thank you''

Nov 21, 2012 at 02:29 PM confusedmom Says:

She is donating wigs, because she owns a wig store. I'm sure if she owned a grocery she would be donating food. It is a wonderful thing, and I don't understand all these negative comments. I think that because a new wig is not on the emergency list, this gesture is so beautiful. Looking good makes you feel good, and if the woman of the house feels good, so does her household.

Nov 21, 2012 at 02:30 PM Rachel from Clifton Says:

Why all the droshos??? This is a beautiful and generous gesture. Kol Hakovod Flora! Flora is the best shaitel macher out there!!! In my over 20 years of shaitel wearing, I will say her operation is the most professional and the quality is by far the best. Nothing wrong with wearing tichels and hats, but wearing a Flora wig is the biggest confidence booster !!

Nov 21, 2012 at 02:35 PM Yiddl Says:

OccupyAgudah Says:

I just gave my wife two grand to buy a new sheitel. So I think that I do care and that I am allowed to ask!

Nov 21, 2012 at 03:10 PM BLONDI Says:

fyi....for a woman who is always wearing a sheitel and losing them in the hurricane and not being able to splurge on another one, this brings her some peace of mind. not all women feel comfortable wearing a teichel to work.THANK YOU flora...may u be g'benched...

Nov 21, 2012 at 03:29 PM Anonymous Says:

gosh everyone is so bitter! I think this was a very nice gesture! I'm sure most of the commenters her are men so they would not under stand! To some people the way they look can make it or break it! And yes to some people loosing they're shaitel is a BIG deal! especially if it may have been a new investment or an expensive one! I think this is really nice! I don't see anyone else offering any goods! why does everything have to be so negative? why can't everyone just say thank you! At least she offered something! It is better then nothing!

Nov 21, 2012 at 02:44 PM Yossi Says:

Babishka Says:

You probably never in your life experienced loosing your personal belongings to a disaster...This generous donation was given from the depth of their heart and I as a businessman know its much easier to give charity from your inventory then take out cash from the bank (which maybe the store owner is short now)...
Now i dont know you and your life style but i know my wife would NOT want to walk around on the shopping areas with a Tichel and also of course not at a simche..
So please just give that sheitel man a BIG yasher koach for helping out other women in need and maybe other women dont live with a Babishka as your wife does...

Nov 21, 2012 at 03:56 PM monishmo Says:

everyone tries to contribute with the line of business that they are in and to say that "other things are much rather important" isnt appropriate. The people that are in the hats and kerchif line may contribute that if its within their means. its time for commenters to appreciate the donations rather than to always critisize

Nov 21, 2012 at 04:51 PM The-Macher Says:

She is in the sheitel business. She gives what she knows how to give best. She deserves only credit.

Nov 21, 2012 at 05:31 PM To Babishka Says:

Babishka Says:

That's fine for you - What about women who may need to go to work and wear a sheitel, instead of an informal hat? Or have a simcha to go to ? Or have the minhag to wear a sheitel? Or are just not accustomed to going out in a hat or tichel and feel uncomfortable? Please don't air out your personal opinion on Shaitels on the account of others who are suffering!! It's really inappropriate, and reflects a narrow view!

Nov 21, 2012 at 07:20 PM OYVY2 Says:

give it a rest ,these people did a nice thing , maybe we should praise them and take a lesson, what business are we in and what can we contribute to better their situation

Nov 21, 2012 at 07:23 PM Anonymous Says:

Yiddl Says:

so,,, maybe your a good husband, what does that have to do with the nice thing these people did for strangers, grow up and think chesed

Nov 21, 2012 at 09:40 PM disgusted in Brooklyn Says:

Oh come off it every one of you negative people!!! Of course a shaitel will make a woman stand taller and with a smile on her face, and maybe on her husband and children too. As for you men out there--don't you feel better when you are wearing a new suit? Look at yourself in the mirror and turn from side to side? Stand a little taller? What about a new hat? When I have to go to the men's hat store for my kids, I look at the men and see them prancing in front of the mirror, looking up and down, making the brim just so? Why should a woman feel any differently? Hypocrites!!!

Nov 22, 2012 at 05:54 AM Greener Says:

Rachel from Clifton Says:

"Nothing wrong with wearing tichels and hats, but wearing a Flora wig is the biggest confidence booster !!" [exclamation marks in the original]
I almost plotzed laughing when I read this sentence. If it's true you are in big trouble, and I truly feel sorry for you. See a shrink or better yet, drink some whiskey (at least a pint).

Nov 23, 2012 at 01:56 PM Rachel from Clifton Says:

Greener Says:

You sound like a very sad and bitter person. Why else would you resort to insults and advise drinking a pint of whiskey? If at 5:54 A.M. you had nothing better to do than to look for somebody to insult on Vus iz Neies , then YOU need the shrink--and dont forget to take your whiskey with you.

Nov 23, 2012 at 02:12 PM Rachel from Clifton Says:

Greener Says:

Furthermore, did it ever occur to you that some women may need to wear a wig for reasons other than religion. ie hair loss or medical conditions. I will give you the benefit of the doubt, you must not be a very well-read person. Do you know what that means?

Dec 25, 2012 at 10:06 AM florastylist Says:

As I am packing my car this morning to go to Brooklyn my husband who Is also my business partner has stumbled upon this thread and called me back in to read before I head out I was not sure whether to smile or cry when I read these posts for those of you with positive comments I thank you and to the rest who for some reason decided to take a good deed and turn it negative I'd like to give you some facts I grew up and worked in Brooklyn before moving out to new jersey six years ago the people affected by hurricane sandy are friends and all clients of mine fyi I'm not some huge corporation that can afford to give money if I could I would I'm a mother of five and work six days a week and run a family business and not independantly rich this devistation structure to close to home for me having children of my own it was unimaginable to me how the mothers must feel and I'm giving the only thing that I have I did not run a sale or give a discount I'm giving these falls free of charge from the goodness of my heart so next time before any of you decide to bash some one else for doing a good deed first get your information straight because lashone harrah comes in different forms this one is