San Francisco - Facebook Tests $1 Fee For Messages To Non Friends

Published on: December 20, 2012 09:34 PM
By: AP
Facebook founder Mark Zuckerberg (AP)Facebook founder Mark Zuckerberg (AP)

San Francisco - Facebook says it is testing a service that will charge users $1 to guarantee that messages they send to people they are not connected to arrive in users’ inboxes, rather than in an often-ignored folder called “other.”

Launched in 2011, the “other” folder is where Facebook routes messages it deems less relevant. Not quite spam, these include messages from people you most likely don’t know, based on Facebook’s reading of your social connections. Many users ignore this folder.

Now, users will be able to pay $1 to route their messages to non-friends. Facebook said Thursday that it is testing the service with a small percentage of individuals — not businesses — in the U.S.

“For example, if you want to send a message to someone you heard speak at an event but are not friends with, or if you want to message someone about a job opportunity, you can use this feature to reach their Inbox,” Facebook said in an online post. “For the receiver, this test allows them to hear from people who have an important message to send them.”

The company says charging for messages could help discourage spammers.

In October, Facebook unveiled another feature that lets users pay if they want more people to read their updates. For $7, users can promote a post to their friends, just as advertisers do.

Boynton Beach, FL - A 72-year-old man riding his bike was struck and killed by a vehicle this morning in Boynton Beach. The man was riding his bike south in the... New York, NY - An  NYPD commander is using Twitter to distribute the names and mugshots of convicts recently returned to his neighborhood after serving prison sentences...

Dec 20, 2012 at 09:45 PM A Says:

I didn't even know there was an "other" folder. And now I know why a long lost friend never responded. Still, I won't pay $1 just to get a facebook message to someone.

Dec 20, 2012 at 11:46 PM Anonymous Says:

A Says:

That's because you have no life. But others may feel differently.

Dec 21, 2012 at 01:40 AM Eagle Says:

Sounds like the begining of the end for facebuck

Dec 21, 2012 at 07:43 AM Aron1 Says:

That's because you have no life. But others may feel differently.

Actually, anyone "with a life" is NOT on facebook.

Dec 21, 2012 at 01:37 PM A Says:

That's because you have no life. But others may feel differently.

Ouch. Sad, but true. Still, you could have shown a little bit of kindness towards me, it's awfully lonely having "no life". Have a guten Shabbos.

Dec 21, 2012 at 01:39 PM A Says:

Aron1 Says:

Actually, anyone "with a life" is NOT on facebook.

I know a lot of people who are on facebook daily and have wonderful fulfilled lives....not me of course, as noted by poster #2, I have no life.

Dec 21, 2012 at 02:00 PM ShmuelG Says:

Aron1 Says:

Actually, anyone "with a life" is NOT on facebook.

I have to agree.