Flatbush, Brooklyn NY - Flatbush Jewish Magician Lifts Spirits.

Published on: October 1, 2007 12:38 PM

Flatbush, Brooklyn NY - By day, David Blatt of Flatbush is a health administrator. By night, he is a professional magician and illusionist - and sometimes his two worlds collide.

“I do try to keep them separate,” said Blatt, who works at the Palm Beach Home for Adults in Sheepshead Bay.

One afternoon last week, he swapped his business suit for a black tuxedo and put on a show for the residents at the assisted-living home.

“I believe making people happy helps them live longer,” Blatt said as seniors packed the recreation room.

Soon, watches were disappearing from wrists; socks were vanishing from feet and a woman’s ring mysteriously turned up in a banana. A man’s hand was sawed off.

Without looking, Blatt told a volunteer the exact word she had chosen from a library book.

Blatt, 35, who grew up in Borough Park and now lives with his family in Flatbush. He got his start performing when he was about 7 and his parents took him to Maimonides Medical Center to visit the sick.

“I did the one trick I knew how to do,” he said. “It was called the invisible deck trick.”

As a teen, Blatt said, magic helped him overcome his own shyness. [nydailynews]

Queens, NY +MVA Involving Hatzolah Member+ A motor vehicle accident on Main Street and 75th Avenue in the 107th Pct area, involving an Hatzolah member while responding... Brooklyn, NY - Architect Robert Scarano is under fire again after the city's Department of Buildings shut down two of his north Brooklyn projects - including one...

Oct 03, 2007 at 06:42 PM Anonymous Says:

Dear Hos,
Can I ask you where and how in the world did you get the impression that we are in any way blaming Mr. Blatt for the death of my father-in-law?? In-fact, we are highly praising David and will never forget that he was the last person able to put a smile on our beloved father's face. With his wonderful personality, tremendous compassion and kind words..David made my father laugh on the very night he passed away - and for that - we are forever grateful to Mr. Blatt... Hos, I suggest you go back and re-read our comments and realize that you clearly took it out of context.

Oct 03, 2007 at 04:07 PM Hos Says:

Its unfortunate that you have to stoop so low and blame Mr. Blatt for the death of your father in-law. There is no connetction bettween Mr. Blatt performing and your f.a.l passing away that night.

Why cant you accept the fact that it was his time to go anyway.

Oct 02, 2007 at 02:44 PM Anonymous Says:

My father-in-law was in the
hospital in March. David was there walking around the hospital. He said hello and would I mind if he did some tricks for him(my father-in-law) not at all go ahead. David did a few card tricks,and told some jokes, and my dear father-in- law laughed and smiled. Little did we know but that was the last time me smiled, he pass later that night.. MAY GOD BLESS YOU DAVID

Oct 02, 2007 at 02:29 PM Anonymous Says:

I've had the pleasure in meeting David numerous times, and each time was a very pleasant experience. Always courteous, always polite, and always turning frowns upside down. He went to visit my papa while in the hospital, before he passed away..I will never forget that David was the last person to make my papa laugh. His talents and wonderful demeanor are irriplacable..There should be more people in world like David. At least more people will be smiling. keep it up..

Oct 02, 2007 at 12:25 PM Anonymous Says:

I've known Duvi for years, since we were classmates in Torah Vodaas for HS. Duvi is a real mench, as well as a nice guy.

Oct 02, 2007 at 10:46 AM Anonymous Says:

We were shul mates growing up in stolin. What a fabulous family. His Grandpa A”H, His father and two brothers, they’re all an exemplary of being a true Mench. Everyone loves and respects them.
Duvi! You’re the Best!

Oct 02, 2007 at 09:54 AM Anonymous Says:

I have had the pleasure of meeting David. He has a heart of gold and a smile that is contagious. He is so good at what he does! Keep up the good work David!!! :-)

Oct 02, 2007 at 09:37 AM Anonymous Says:

I was lucky enough to have David perform at my corporate event. He was wonderful and so very entertaining. I have been to shows in Las Vegas and saw Copperfield and in my opinion he has an even better stage presence than him. If you are fortunate enough to get him to come to any party or event don't hesitate. Keep up the good work you do.

Oct 02, 2007 at 08:05 AM Anonymous Says:

no one is forcing u to go see a magician...but it is wonderful that he can put a smile on some faces who dont have anything else to smile about....maybe u can go visit them or feed them when u have some spare time on ur hands!!!

Oct 02, 2007 at 05:23 AM Anonymous Says:

RE:...Ha'ochaz ha'ainayim af shelo ossa ma'aseh, lokin oso. ..

Bameh D'vorim Amurim? ...When people watching don't know the difference. Today , an audience knows that it's just sleight of hand from the get-go and nothing else.

Oct 01, 2007 at 10:18 PM Anonymous Says:

David is a wonderful person and an excellent magician. He performed at a Chanukah party five years ago and it was absolutely incredible!!! Hatzlachah!

Oct 01, 2007 at 09:17 PM Anonymous Says:

Dovid has a heart of gold and a smile a foot long. wishes for hatzlocha rabba.

Oct 01, 2007 at 08:56 PM SHMIEL GLASSMAN Says:

DUVI IS A BAAL MIDOS TOVOS HATZLACHA!

Oct 01, 2007 at 04:55 PM Anonymous Says:

what about the part about shmiras negias nashim?

Oct 01, 2007 at 04:48 PM Anonymous Says:

Ha'ochaz ha'ainayim af shelo ossa ma'aseh, lokin oso.
-Rambam hilchus akum v'chukosayhem