Middlesex County, NJ - Camp Counselor Charged With Sex Crime in New Jersey

Published on: January 6, 2013 08:58 PM
By: VIN News Staff

Middlesex County, NJ - A camp counselor from New Jersey has been charged in connection with a 12-year-old alleged indecent assault crime.

Rabbi Aryeh Goodman, 30, Director of the Chabad House of East Brunswick in Middlesex County, New Jersey stands accused of inappropriate contact with a minor male camper in 2001 at Camp Menachem in Pike County, Pennsylvania.

Goodman’s alleged victim came forward to press charges last summer, but it apparently took some time for police to obtain a warrant to arrest the rabbi, according to reports in The Times-Tribune (http://bit.ly/UQ4Bm0) and the Pocono News (http://bit.ly/Vvo6Pg).

According to his biography on Chabad’s website (http://bit.ly/ZdolPM), Goodman is a New Jersey native who studied at yeshivot in Brooklyn, Toronto and New Jersey before earning his rabbinic ordination in Sydney, Australia. Goodman is not listed as an official Rabbi on Chabad’s international website Chabad.org

Goodman is currently in the custody of the Middlesex County Sherriff’s office and is awaiting extradition to Pike County.

Washington - President Barack Obama's inaugural team is opening an online and brick-and-mortar store to sell souvenirs including a commemorative poster by famed artist... Landover, MD - Russell Wilson raced ahead to throw the final block on Marshawn Lynch's go-ahead touchdown run, and the Seattle Seahawks finally had a victorious road...

Jan 06, 2013 at 09:40 PM zackk Says:

He's not listed on Chabad.org because he is a mushroom (a shliach who went out on his own and not through head quarters) and not recognized by Chabad international.

Jan 06, 2013 at 09:46 PM Anonymous Says:

False accusations ruin lives just as tragically as accusations which are proven true. May Hashem grant mercy and justice to those who are falsely accused, as Rabbi Goodman surely is.

Jan 06, 2013 at 09:51 PM Not a Chabad rabbi Says:

Not a Chabad rabbi.

Jan 06, 2013 at 09:52 PM nursejackie Says:

No finer or more innocent person has ever been accused. It makes me physically ill to think of Rabbi Goodman in jail, accused of something he isn't capable of even imagining. Yes, there are sick people out there, but not Rabbi Goodman. False accusations ruin lives just as tragically as accusations which are proven true. May Hashem grant mercy and justice to those who are falsely accused, may He heal true victims, and speedily punish the truly guilty. And may He set this upside-down world right again.

Jan 06, 2013 at 10:30 PM shredready Says:

I do not know him however knowing him is not proof of his innocence

A molester it not the creepy guy next door. Many time it is people who otherwise very normal and respected. Sadly it is very hard to detect a molestor.

He may be guilty or may be innocent But if falsely accused. the accusar must be severely punished. This is one accusation sadly that does ruin lives

Jan 06, 2013 at 10:31 PM IMHOpinion Says:

I love the way every molester and fraudster is auto named RABBI.

If anyone's looking to become a rabbi in a day, simply look for trouble.

Jan 06, 2013 at 10:34 PM Anonymous Says:

They said that about Sandusky also that he was so nice and his friends said he would never do that to a child.

Jan 06, 2013 at 09:03 PM GevalDigeh Says:

Oyyyy nebech nebech. I hope this is not true and he will be freed from jail very soon

Jan 06, 2013 at 09:23 PM Anonymous Says:

I am saddened to read this because I know the family. A person is innocent until proven guilty. Why is it that so many people are coming forward making accusations? If a person is inappropriate with a child, he or she deserves to be punished. On the other hand anyone could accuse anyone of anything. Lives are ruined on both sides. Camps and yeshivas need to have a rule when it comes to children being in the company of adults. A child should never be left alone with one person. Other children or adults need to be present.

Jan 06, 2013 at 11:17 PM TexasJew Says:

We live in a sick world. You never know who to trust.
Hope it's not true.

Jan 06, 2013 at 11:23 PM Anonymous Says:

"A person is innocent until proven guilty. Why is it that so many people are coming forward making accusations?"

Why should they keep quiet if they were abused sexually? You think the pedophile stops with just one child? Statics show one pervert can abuse hundreds if not thousands of kids. More people are coming forward because they are comparing stories with other victims and there is now strength in numbers. In the YU case, over 20 men have come forward with another 15 or so contacting authorities. This is a good thing to get the pedophiles away from hurting more of our kinder.

Jan 06, 2013 at 11:40 PM Sad Says:

He was 19 in 2001 if he did it once it's one to many, but does it make him a pedophile? Just asking not absolving.

Jan 07, 2013 at 12:00 AM New legislation Says:

They should enact new legislation to prevent these accusations from being made public until after trial, otherwise we are all at risk as anyone can press charges against anyone claiming sex abuse, and it's also very hard to get a fair trial after the media is done smearing the accused persons name. Where are the elected officials?!

Jan 07, 2013 at 02:29 AM cool masmid Says:

What took 12 years for the victim to come forward? Seriously if this case had any merit would you not think the victim should have come forward more sooner. Also how do you prove guilt 12 years after he allegedly committed this crime? Something doesn't add up.

Jan 07, 2013 at 05:50 AM nursejackie Says:

@ 11- "You think the pedophile stops with just one child"....So your statement confirms my belief that this accusation is false....ONE accusation from TWELVE years ago? Very very doubtful. Sorry, but I think it's more likely this accuser thinks Chabad has "deep pockets".

Jan 07, 2013 at 05:53 AM qazxc Says:

New legislation Says:

Trenton.

Jan 07, 2013 at 07:39 AM Gregaaron Says:

Here's one possible reason (I am not saying it applies in this case, but it is possible).

The alleged story took place 12 years ago, when this man was 18 years old. We are not told how old the camper is, of course, but it is entirely possible he was 15-16 at the time. In that case - and I know this won't be a popular opinion - it is entirely possible that what (may have) took place is not abuse at all. Depending on the social stature of the two people involved, it may be weird and sick, but not abuse, and the person would not necessarily be a pedophile. I am not going to go into details unless pressed to do so, but it is possible - not likely, but possible - that the younger person pushed for this as much as the older one, or that it was mutual. It is the older one's responsibility to say no, but we live in a generation where the inherent power differential between an 18 and 14 year old does not necessarily exist.

IF this is what happened, then #9 is right - it's not really abuse. Even though the law arbitrarily assigns an age cutoff, social factors very much have a say in determining what went on and why.

Jan 07, 2013 at 07:56 AM Difficult Says:

I find it very difficult to believe. I have been close with him for many years.

Jan 07, 2013 at 08:29 AM qazxc Says:

Never say never. Ai apitropias le'arayos.

Jan 07, 2013 at 09:19 AM enlightened-yid Says:

IMHOpinion Says:

I love the way every molester and fraudster is auto named RABBI.

If anyone's looking to become a rabbi in a day, simply look for trouble.

Well since 95% of men are encouraged to study in yeshivos and get smichas, it's expected to have so many guys who are rabbis of some sort.

Jan 07, 2013 at 10:43 AM Godol-Hador Says:

I don't know this young man, I know of his fine family.
Here are some thoughts:
Anyone who molests a child should indeed be punished- but I cannot coNceive of any reason, even the so-called good ones raised here and other sites, of why is took 12 years to bring th accusation especially in light of the extreme heightened awareness of abuse these past years.
So, something is definately not right. And therefore it is extremely wrong to release his name thereby forever ruining his name, even if the case will be dropped. I am crying for this unfortunate person and his family. It is plain wrong.
Second, I have decided, and now it will be obsesively enforced not to let any of my sons become camp counselours or similar.
Yes, there is abuse, however I Believe it has Been blown way out of proportion and all camps and schools wll now suffer.
We have reaped what we planted. An accusation "out of the blue" ruIns lives. Its ridiculous.

Jan 07, 2013 at 11:27 AM Anonymous Says:

Are you a nice person? So........

Jan 07, 2013 at 11:56 AM Anonymous Says:

Godol-Hador Says:

I don't know this young man, I know of his fine family.
Here are some thoughts:

"An accusation "out of the blue" ruIns lives. Its ridiculous."

It's NEVER out of the blue. The DA, many attorneys, doctors and therapists have to be spoken to under sworn testimony that the abuse happens. When all the paperwork is complete, the DA can file charges and get the pedophile off the street to protect other kids. Chances are, more victims will come forward once the name is released. A pedophile never has just one victim.

Why is it so hard for our community to understand that there are many among us who will hurt our children? When a name is printed in the paper, we all blog that we know his family, it can't be, he's a nice person, etc. Pedophiles don't look like boogiemen and are always "nice" on the outside. They are charming, speak well and take us in with their charisma. My nephews were molested at a camp and it took them over ten years to tell their parents because my nephews were afraid of being shunned. When they finally told their parents, the parents went straight to the police who conducted extensive research before the head counselor was arrested. Thank goodness, he's where he can't harm any more 8 year olds.

Jan 07, 2013 at 12:12 PM nursejackie Says:

Well said, # 21

Jan 07, 2013 at 12:13 PM A1826 Says:

Gregaaron Says:

"...the younger person pushed for this..."

Blame the victim as usual. Unbelievable.

An 18 year old doesn't have more power than a 14 yr. old?? You make me sick.

Why didn't the victim come forward sooner you all ask. Why don't you learn what happens to victims of abuse?

Jan 07, 2013 at 12:23 PM jack-l Says:

Gadol hador... guess what you`re not.
pls get educated.... not by your assumtions and logical deductions learn from /read what the professionals in this field are saying. their predictions are right on.
Rachmana litzlon the abuse we are hearing is the tip of the iceberg. The victims are coming forth now because only now can some talk about it. some will take still longer. for some .... never.
We are not immune to the evils of the world . We must show the vicitims rachmonis and compassion. One can`t be judgemental. We must also deal with the abuser but not as poorly as we have till now. Though many officials, rabbanim included meant well , it didn`t turn out that way. They too needed an education. and B.H. we now handle these issues very differently.

ps. the abuser is usually the nicest guy in the world. in our world usually shomer torah and mitzvos. you never see it coming. ....i didn`t

Jan 07, 2013 at 12:43 PM Gregaaron Says:

A1826 Says:

"...the younger person pushed for this..."

Blame the victim as usual. Unbelievable.

An 18 year old doesn't have more power than a 14 yr. old?? You make me sick.

Nice try, genius. I'm not blaming the victim. You'll notice I prefaced what I wrote by saying I am NOT specifically talking about this case. All I am saying is that not all cases of alleged abuse ever happened; even if they did, they're not always what they seem.

"Why didn't the victim come forward sooner you all ask."

No, I won't. I understand perfectly well why victims don't always come forward right away. Please don't put words in my mouth - I didn't do that to you.

"Why don't you learn what happens to victims of abuse?"
Yeah, about that - I'm a psychologist. I know what happens to victims of abuse, as opposed to just parroting everything I read on anonymous blogs.

What I don't do is automatically assume that just because someone is being accused means it definitely happened, especially not at face value.

Jan 07, 2013 at 12:44 PM grannysmith Says:

Yes, in our day it is time to adopt a "yichud" approach between adults and children --...Vihiyisem Nekiyim...

Jan 07, 2013 at 02:58 PM awacs Says:

shredready Says:

I do not know him however knowing him is not proof of his innocence

I'm really starting to wonder if something's wrong with me - I totally agree with this post.

Jan 07, 2013 at 03:18 PM Anonymous Says:

Godol-Hador Says:

I don't know this young man, I know of his fine family.
Here are some thoughts:

"An accusation "out of the blue" ruIns lives. Its ridiculous"

According to many other blogs, several others have come forward with the same story and the camp knew about these complaints a long time ago. Before you proclaim his innocence because you know him, examine all the facts. He is in jail now and the system cannot just put ANYONE in jail they feel like!

Jan 07, 2013 at 06:09 PM shredready Says:

For all those who say I know him or his family really means nothing not guilt or innocence.

I will ask you was there a case that people ever said him of course he is a molestor

Jan 07, 2013 at 06:10 PM Anonymous Says:

"An accusation "out of the blue" ruIns lives. Its ridiculous"

All hail the "blogs" if they say it must be true?!?

I will tell you this; Your claim that "the camp knew about these complaints a long time ago" are FALSE!!!

Please don't spread lies, the truth is bad enough in this case. We don't need lies to add to the story.

Jan 07, 2013 at 08:02 PM Anonymous Says:

All hail the "blogs" if they say it must be true?!?

"Your claim that "the camp knew about these complaints a long time ago" are FALSE!!!"

Read the newspapers and do the research! After the authorities did their due diligence, they locked him up immediately. I hope you do not have any young kids around you.

Jan 07, 2013 at 09:21 PM Your sister Says:

awacs Says:

Awacs - What part do you totally agree with? And more importantly, why would something be wrong with you if you agreed? Abusers are 1) often "the nicest guys," and 2) it would be a shame if this was trumped up -- but it usually isn't...

Jan 07, 2013 at 10:26 PM SamEiger Says:

I know I'll get a lot of flak for saying this but here goes.
Even if he did this when he was 19 years old, as far as we know there have been no accusations since. So if a person picks himself up from the mistakes of his teenage years and goes on to become a healthy and productive member of society we are going to hound him down and destroy him and his family?!?
What is the point of this? I don't think what he did as a 19 year old means that he is a danger today so I don't see how the usual rodef argument applies.
True he has to apologize and try to make it up to the victim but does he need to lose his life after he worked to drag himself out?
I shudder to think where this witch hunt will end. Are we going to start going after minors? 17 yrs old? 15 yrs old? maybe 10 yrs old?
What if it were your child who went through that stage?

Jan 07, 2013 at 11:23 PM Brooklynhocker Says:

Isn't 12 years beyond the statute of limitations? I think many people are bothered by the title "molester" because it conjures up images of Rebbaim and teachers taking advantage of young feable kids. This may have been two teenagers that acted out their homosexual feelings and now the "victim" can't get beyond it even if Goodman has.

Jan 08, 2013 at 11:23 AM Anonymous Says:

SamEiger Says:

I know I'll get a lot of flak for saying this but here goes.
What if it were your child who went through that stage?

"What if it were your child who went through that stage?"

Pedophilia is NOT a stage and one never outgrows pedophilia. It is an illness that is impossible to treat.

Jan 08, 2013 at 05:01 PM EBJEW Says:

What ever the fate of Rabbi Aryeh, I will always think of him as the man who Bar Mitzvahed my son, came to my home for Chanukah and whose hospitality in his own home my family and I enjoyed. Knowing Rabbi Aryeh taught me that Rabbi's are not just religious figures that you see up at the Torah for the holidays but are people. They can be warm and caring and funny just like regular people. Unfortunately people can be flawed. I don't want to believe that this "friend of my families" is capable of such an horrible act but I guess that will be up to the courts to decide. What ever his fate, my heart goes out to him and his family.

Jan 08, 2013 at 05:22 PM sylmoss Says:

zackk Says:

why did you feel it necessary to explain it the way you did.?.. This only makes him seem more capable of wrongdoing... Mock (mark) my words - everyone who jumps to conclusions and is so willing to believe all this perversion will soon end up listed also.
The Baal Shemtov would be accused if her were here today. The Baal Shem would kiss all the kinderlach all the time.
I know a fabulous Rebbe who loved all his students - hugged and kissed them daily, he too would be arrested. Lucky him he moved away and people may have forgotten about him.
A young man who had a one time tryst is NOT a pedophile nor a homosexual or anything of the sort. He is merely a young man who did something inappropriate but is considered "age appropriate".
My son who also attended camps said that once all these articles and sites starting popping up he thought long and hard to recall if he ever had a similar experience while a camper. He said he actually remembered an attempt but my son left and all was fine. BUT, what my son wanted to stress - he would NEVER have remembered had it not been so "in your face." He was not damaged or affected at al! Too bad on this world!!

Jan 08, 2013 at 05:31 PM Anonymous Says:

SamEiger Says:

I know I'll get a lot of flak for saying this but here goes.
What if it were your child who went through that stage?

"what if it were your child."......ah that is the question so many fail to consider.
I am a parent and grandparent ... I would be mortified if any of my offspring were victimized no question---but by the same token I truly believe and recognize that boys go through very difficult nisyoinos and if they failed once this does not make him a criminal.
do you want to be arrested for that?

Hashem Yirachaim on all of us
we are living in very difficult times
every misfit is a spokesperson and
those of us who want to go on with our lives,
are attempting to live normal lives alongside these confused and often vicious persons. are not having an easy time of it.
I don't want to know all this shmutz and certainly do not want my kids/grandkids to either..yet it's thrown in our faces constantly.

Jan 08, 2013 at 05:35 PM Anonymous Says:

shredready Says:

I do not know him however knowing him is not proof of his innocence

this is one accusation that ruins families and one that is very difficult to dispute.
that is why those that accuse and those that encourage this are the real monsters!!
this will yet take a turn soon. right now it is the PC subject and a great way to get attention.
It is going to get worn out soon .. like any pair of shoes.. or clothing for that matter
but it will become boring soon and the real victims will nebach have no one to turn to.

Jan 08, 2013 at 06:46 PM BillTom Says:

can you give a link to any articles stating that the camp knew?

Jan 08, 2013 at 10:39 PM awacs Says:

Your sister Says:

"What part do you totally agree with?"

Actually, all of it.

"And more importantly, why would something be wrong with you if you agreed? "
Because shredready is a lefty as VIN posters go, and usually we never agree.

Jan 08, 2013 at 11:03 PM Anonymous Says:

do you want to be arrested for that?

Hashem Yirachaim on all of us
we are living in very difficult times
every misfit is a spokesperson and
those of us who want to go on with our lives,

"How many of us have turned on a light on Shabbos.....forgotten and ate milchigs just after fleishigs ....... bumped into someone and hurt them ... stepped on their bad toe etc.etc. ????
do you want to be arrested for that?"

Sexually molesting a young boy is a bit more than turning on a light on Shabbos. Shame on your thinking!

Jan 09, 2013 at 01:37 AM sylmoss Says:

do you want to be arrested for that?"

I am not minimizing molestation. I am merely trying to say that boys will be boys and will experiment -and sometimes succumb in their teens.....
they feel guilty just like any of us feel after we do something we know is wrong. That was my point........
But ........a one time situation (and oftentimes consensual) does not make someone a pedophile. Today if you look at someone for a moment too long you can be considered a pedophile.
I suspect 10% of those accused are actually guilty and the rest are victims of vindictive or vicious or destructive people.

Jan 10, 2013 at 12:00 AM BillTom Says:

zackk Says:

what does this have to do with the issue of abuse? If he is a 'Chabad" Rabbi is not the issue here.

Jan 10, 2013 at 10:46 AM Anonymous Says:

BillTom Says:

According to the latest news, the police arrested him after he confessed by phone to the boy he abused, so for all of you who said he was so nice and it couldn't happen, he is recorded by police and that is why they locked him up immediately.

Jan 10, 2013 at 06:55 PM Anonymous Says:

Not a Chabad rabbi Says:

Not a Chabad rabbi.

why does this matter? A man abused a child in his care. Are you saying a Chabad Rabbi, CVSH, would not abuse any children?