Ontario - Toronto Police: Con Man Targeting Jewish Women On Subways

Published on: January 9, 2013 02:22 PM
FILEFILE

Ontario - Toronto police are warning commuters to be on the lookout for a subway scam artist who has been targeting Jewish women in the subways since at least December 2011.

According to a report in the National Post (http://natpo.st/VKLOcC), the con man boards the subway at different stations, including Eglinton, St. Clair, and Glencairn, and identifies the Jewish female passengers. He then tells them he is from Israel and spins a tale of deceit about his financial troubles. The scammer then asks for financial loans and promises to re-pay his unsuspecting victims when he returns to Israel. Each victim then gives him a certain amount of money.

Detective-Constable James Turnbell said, “I’m sure there are probably tons of people who’ve handed him money just believing he is need. . . not thinking twice about it.”

So far, a total of six victims have contacted law enforcement authorities after realizing they had been scammed. Police believe there are additional victims.

The suspect is described as being a “white male, with an olive complexion, between the ages of 45 and 50.” Anyone with information should call the Toronto police at 416-808-1300; Crime Stoppers (anonymously) at 416-222-TIPS (8437); or online at http://www.222tips.com.

Brooklyn, NY - Abe Goldstein, a real estate developer from Williamsburg, Brooklyn managed to turn an initial $1 million property investment into $150 million with... Washington - Secretary of State Hillary Clinton said on Wednesday she would step off the fast track "for a little while" when she leaves the State Department but she...

You can now automatically hide comments - New!

Don't worry, you can always display comments when you need to.

Jan 09, 2013 at 02:53 PM Voice-of-Reason Says:

What's the crime? He asked for a loan and they obliged. We're they held up?

Jan 09, 2013 at 03:24 PM victorg Says:

This happened to me 20 years ago in New York, this guy knocked on my office door after hours tzitzit hanging out (he knew we were Jewish because of the mezuzah). Told me a hard luck story in Hebrew how he just arrived from Israel too late and his lift to monsey already left. Started crying like a baby and asked me for $10 for a bus and my business card, and he would pay me back immediately. Of course I gave him more than that and told him not to worry about paying me back. An hour later when I was going home I saw him pulling the same schtick on others in Herald Square (near my office).

Jan 09, 2013 at 05:03 PM Just Say No Says:

The only way to prevent these scam artists from being successful is to give them nothing! Not too long ago, someone came into our Kollel, and I gave him a few dollars (he was from Brooklyn). A little while later, he came over to me, and started giving me a lecture, as to why I should give him more money. I didn't give him another penny. Whereas some of these meshulachs are respectful, and are appreciative of any amount they receive, others are arrogant, and demand more. The latter type turns me off. Several years ago, while on a visit to NYC, we were accosted by a very aggressive yentah in the Kings Plaza Mall, who was looking for gelt. She finally left us alone, but not before screaming at us.

Jan 09, 2013 at 06:04 PM MarkTwain2 Says:

Voice-of-Reason Says:

What's the crime? He asked for a loan and they obliged. We're they held up?

Pan-handling (even if fraudulently disguised as a loan) is illegal on Toronto subways.

Jan 10, 2013 at 05:20 AM lakewooder Says:

Reply to #4: It may be illegal, it is still not a scam.

Jan 10, 2013 at 07:44 AM Anonymous Says:

Many goyim walk around the street asking for "sedaka" I asked them in yiddish Ven is Shabbos? They say HUH??? Thats when I know they're not jewish. Now they come to shnor to houses. They have the chutzpa to ring my bell after 10pm. I never open the door.

Jan 10, 2013 at 07:51 AM mutti Says:

lakewooder Says:

Reply to #4: It may be illegal, it is still not a scam.

it is a SCAM. the person had no intention of repaying the money, he SCAMMED them by pretending it was a loan.

Jan 10, 2013 at 08:13 AM Sarah Says:

Unfortunately this is very common in NYC, and I have fallen for it before. I was advised , if they seem foreign (I once bought $10 worth of veggies for "food for my baby for Shabbos"--- for a Mexican non-jew), to ask them to say Shema. If they seem confused, then you know.

Jan 10, 2013 at 10:57 AM My Take Says:

When a meshulach acts arrogant as if he deserves more, I get turned off. When they have a pleasant humble demeanor I am more likely to give and give more. Here in Lakewood some women who pretended to be Jewish approached people in the Shop Rite parking lot asking for tzeddaka, but, by now I hope most people are on to them and won't give them anything.

Jan 10, 2013 at 07:21 PM victorg Says: