New York - Flu Emergency Declared In NY; 20K Cases In State

Published on: January 12, 2013 06:19 PM
By: AP
Students walk past a sign outside a Rite Aid pharmacy which reads "Get Your Flu Shots Now&quot 09 January 2013. EPA/JOHN G. MABANGLOStudents walk past a sign outside a Rite Aid pharmacy which reads "Get Your Flu Shots Now&quot 09 January 2013. EPA/JOHN G. MABANGLO

New York - New York’s governor has declared a public health emergency for the state because of the severity of the flu season.

Gov. Andrew M. Cuomo made the announcement Saturday. His executive order suspends for the next month the state law that limits the authority of pharmacists to administer immunizing agents only to individuals 18 years of age or older.

Pharmacists will also be allowed to administer flu vaccinations to patients between 6 months and 18 years of age.

The order comes as nearly 20,000 cases of influenza have been reported in the state this season. That’s more than four times the 4,400 positive laboratory tests reported all of last season.

Washington - President Barack Obama had a little personal fitness boot camp at the Pentagon on Saturday. Obama, 51, participated in what the White House described as... Jerusalem - The spiritual leader of an Israeli ultra-Orthodox political party was hospitalized after a suspected minor stroke in Jerusalem on Saturday, a development...

You can now automatically hide comments - New!

Don't worry, you can always display comments when you need to.

Jan 12, 2013 at 06:29 PM Anonymous Says:

Unfortunately due to the lack of basic hygeine in our mesivtas and shteibels, ie no hot vasser or soap and no one covering their mouths and noses when they sneeze and cough.

Jan 12, 2013 at 06:49 PM metsfan123 Says:

the flu shot carries serious risks including GBS- Guillain Barre Syndrome.
Patients have to weigh the risks vs benefits when they make the tough decision to get the shot.
The elderly and immunocompromised are at greater risk of a routine flu leading to a bad outcome ie death ,while a younger patient without multiple ailments will most likely just feel sick for a week ,with no long term harm.Doctors are very good at treating a routine flu in a non immunocompromised patient .Best treatment for flu in a healthy person in my opinion is to do nothing . The less u do the better the patient gets .However GBS in a healthy person ,doctors can do very little for them of substance

Jan 12, 2013 at 07:09 PM Wannashmooze Says:

metsfan123 Says:

the flu shot carries serious risks including GBS- Guillain Barre Syndrome.

Please do not quote risks without stats to back it up. The risk is aproximately 1 in 100,000. People who get flu without the vaccine are at the same risk for GBS. People recover from GBS.
People die from severe flu.
Bottom line: get vaccinated, it is the safe and logocal thing to do.

Jan 12, 2013 at 07:14 PM Wannashmooze Says:

I misquoted. The correct risk of GBS is not 1 in 100,000. It is one in a million!!!
Please think it through before you comment on a potentially deadly illness.

Jan 12, 2013 at 07:30 PM Briskerrav Says:

That's what the galach used to say...

Jan 12, 2013 at 08:22 PM qazxc Says:

metsfan123 Says:

the flu shot carries serious risks including GBS- Guillain Barre Syndrome.

Hopefully no one out in VIN-land is stupid enough to act upon medical misinformation posted anonymously on the internet.

Of course logic would dictate that no one would be stupid enough to post idiotic comments advising people to disregard sound medical advice but apparently logic doesn't come into play in certain circles.

Jan 12, 2013 at 11:02 PM metsfan123 Says:

qazxc . there is no misinformation in my comment above . everything that is stated is accurate. I did not advise disregarding "sound" medical advice , I just told patients information ,so that they can make their own decision. I did not tell anyone what to do.Some people have nerve damage that does not go away with GBS . In rare cases, people have died of GBS, usually from not being able to breathe due to weakness of their breathing muscles. So not everybody recovers from GBS.
I am sorry ,I could not find stats on that, but the info is from cdc.gov, without the stats listed.Wannashmooze thank you for your accurate input. It will help patients decide whether they want to risk GBS. Since I am young and healthy ,I am taking the risk of getting the flu ,since most young healthy non -immunocompromised patients recover quickly with few complications.So in my personal opinion the risks of the vaccine most notably GBS dont outweigh the benefits for me.

Jan 13, 2013 at 02:09 AM Md is not a pharmacist Says:

I would consider things brought up ny metfan even if he is not an MD. There was a statistical aberation reported that pointed to a slight, minute increased risk of GB after the flu vaccine in Canada. What scares me is that they have no explantion nor inkling why. I am old enough to remember when kids were given aspirin and that was a great drug till...
My MD is very highly qualified at what he does. He thinks that everybody takes their resposibility as serious as he does. Vaccines are complex products and everything has to be perfect, maybe that is a impossible goal, that is why vaccines, and only vaccines are covered by the Government run vaccine court. I am not aware of any drug nor any other product where the US runs the court and pays any awards, Think Why!

Jan 13, 2013 at 05:03 AM Wannashmooze Says:

metsfan123 Says:

Even as a young healthy person, you are far more likely to die from the flu than from GBS.

Jan 13, 2013 at 07:20 AM Chaim Eliezer Says:

Metsfan, you may be young and healthy, but if you get the flu you're very likely to infect others. Maybe you don't mind feeling terrible and missing a week of work, but most people do. Still others are at risk from serious complications or death.

Jan 13, 2013 at 12:28 PM Truth Says:

metsfan123 Says:

the flu shot carries serious risks including GBS- Guillain Barre Syndrome.

There is a reason we go to School to learn medicine. Anybody like you can pull up any statistic and say look this is dangerous. This isn't called knowing medicine. One of the things they teach you is how to measure risk vs. benefit regarding anything we practice with. Me and most of Medical practioners recommend e/o should get the Flu shot because the benefit outweighs the risk. This isn't rocket science, just plain logic/common sense. Common sense isn't so common anymore.
And btw, I got my shot awhile ago.

Jan 13, 2013 at 01:15 PM Wannashmooze Says:

I got mine in october

Jan 13, 2013 at 07:12 PM Anonymous Says:

TO TRUTH .There is a reason we go to School to learn medicine
*U mean besides money .lol.
This isn't called knowing medicine.
*that a relative term . In my opinion most docs nowadays dont know medicine very well.
One of the things they teach you is how to measure risk vs. benefit regarding anything we practice with. Me and most of Medical practioners recommend e/o should get the Flu shot because the benefit outweighs the risk. This isn't rocket science, just plain logic/common sense. .
*e/o what about those who had an adverse reaction b4 to the vaccine r r allergic to eggs. I myself don"t recommend anything ,I just inform patients about the facts and let them make their own decision. I do that bec , I am not god and do not know what the outcome of that decision will be.As a society I will def. say u r correct but as an individual decision in my case ur recomendation is wrong. The level of education most med students get regarding benifet vs risk and understanding stats does not compare to what a epidemiology or biostatistics student receives. The knowledge most med students learn regarding that topic can be surpassed by an educated layman by reading a few books on the subject

Jan 13, 2013 at 08:56 PM Truth Says:

TO TRUTH .There is a reason we go to School to learn medicine
*U mean besides money .lol.
This isn't called knowing medicine.

"what about those who had an adverse reaction b4 to the vaccine r r allergic to eggs"

And what about these people? Should they get the shot or not? What did you learn in school? Oh that's right you got a degree from the internet - so what does the Net day?

Jan 14, 2013 at 01:39 AM metsfan123 Says:

the cdc.gov says
Who should not get a flu shot?

Talk with a doctor before getting a flu shot if you:
1.Have ever had a severe allergic reaction to eggs
2.Have ever had a serious reaction to a previous flu shot
3.Have ever had Guillain-Barré Syndrome (a severe paralytic illness, also called GBS) that occurred after receiving influenza vaccine. Your doctor will help you decide whether the vaccine is recommended for you.

If you are sick with a fever when you go to get your flu shot, you should talk to your doctor or nurse about getting your shot at a later date. However, you can get a flu shot at the same time you have a respiratory illness without fever or if you have another mild illness.

Jan 14, 2013 at 01:42 AM metsfan123 Says:

the stuff that is taught in med skools may be less accurate than some places on the net like cdc.gov .pubmed etc