Mount Holly, NJ - 2 NJ Men Sue Subway Over Short Footlong Sandwiches

Published on: January 23, 2013 12:59 PM
By: AP
Subway got caught up in a furore after a teen measured his footlong sandwich and found it was an inch short.Subway got caught up in a furore after a teen measured his footlong sandwich and found it was an inch short.

Mount Holly, NJ - Two New Jersey men have sued Subway, saying the world’s biggest fast-food chain has been shorting them on its so-called footlong sandwiches.

The filing made Tuesday seeks compensatory damages from the company and a change in practices.

Plaintiffs’ lawyer Stephen DeNittis says the company should either make their sandwiches 12 inches long or stop advertising them as footlongs.

He said he’s measured sandwiches from 17 area shops and not one has been 12 inches long.

The issue got widespread attention last week when a man posted a photo of a sandwich and a ruler on the company’s Facebook page.

Milford, Conn.-based Subway did not immediately return a call to The Associated Press.

Washington - The House has passed a bill to permit the government to borrow enough money to avoid a first avoid default for at least four months, defusing a crisis... Detroit, MI - A woman who says she was ethnically targeted for a strip search at Detroit Metropolitan Airport filed a lawsuit Tuesday against an airline and federal...

Jan 23, 2013 at 01:11 PM ShmutzVesh Says:

The bread is prob 12 inches when made. Anyone who knows bread, knows that it shrinks after being baked.

Jan 23, 2013 at 01:35 PM commonsense99 Says:

ambulance chasing lawyers who will sue anything including a ham sandwich

Jan 23, 2013 at 02:04 PM Anonymous Says:

Are there truly "plaintiff lawyers" who have nothing better to do with their time than to file such assinine pleadings. Clearly they must have been at the bottom of their class rankings and have not been successful at chasing ambulances.

Jan 23, 2013 at 02:16 PM Rut24 Says:

And it looks like they are bored.

Jan 23, 2013 at 02:29 PM shredready Says:

what a stupid law suite if they lose they should be made to reimburse subways

Jan 23, 2013 at 02:41 PM Materetsky Says:

I am curious why nobody has measured before...

Jan 23, 2013 at 02:56 PM Wannashmooze Says:

Defense will say it is the size of the CEOs left foot...

Jan 23, 2013 at 03:13 PM Bread Baker Says:

ShmutzVesh Says:

really? When I bake bread the dough rises and spreads and it gets bigger

Jan 23, 2013 at 03:13 PM Frivolous Lawsuit Says:

ShmutzVesh Says:

They're just looking to make money the easy way.

Jan 23, 2013 at 03:15 PM Mark Levin Says:

I guess they are out of work obama lovers.

Jan 23, 2013 at 03:23 PM RabbiDoctor Says:

Can I sue cause all my 2x4s are deficient?

Jan 23, 2013 at 03:23 PM Anonymous Says:

I am sure that you could find a sledge hammer that might make their sandwich well over 12 inches long.

Jan 23, 2013 at 04:25 PM Aryeh Says:

Is this what our justice system is for?! What a pathetic misuse of the courts!

Jan 23, 2013 at 04:07 PM Aron1 Says:

RabbiDoctor Says:

Can I sue cause all my 2x4s are deficient?

Good point. That just might the defense. Like the "2 x 4", "footlong" might just be the name of the sandwich.

Jan 23, 2013 at 04:50 PM Lower_East_Sider Says:

Aron1 Says:

It's called a 2 x 4 since that's what size it's cut down to. It shrinks while it's getting treated.

Jan 23, 2013 at 05:16 PM Anonymous Says:

Companies have to know that they need to be honest in advertising. Shortening the bread by an inch equals thousands of dollars in savings over time, while cheating the customer off an inch of bread. I don't see how they would be different to advertising a pound of peanuts and only putting in 14 ounces.

Jan 23, 2013 at 05:30 PM The_Truth Says:

RabbiDoctor Says:

Can I sue cause all my 2x4s are deficient?

2x4 is the size of the original wood before it is smoothed out. Anyone who knows anything about construction knows that they actual size is smaller.

A foot-long does not necessarily have to be 12 inches - could be the size of a real foot - just like the old days. Historically, the size of the measure varied from country to country and in some cases from city to city, and was also subdivided into 12 inches. The United States survey foot was defined in 1959 as exactly 1200⁄3937 meter, (approximately 0.3048 m).
In Aalst Belgium, the foot was 0.2772m, which makes the 11inch Subway footlong longer than a "foot" in local measuments!

Jan 23, 2013 at 06:18 PM TexasJew Says:

It's time for "truth in advertising" to be enforced. What's the difference if you thought you bought a 60 inch TV and it was only 57 inches? They need to be made accountable.
Every one inch adds up to a lot of miles after a year. This is a billion dollar corporation.

I heard Bloomberg is on their board and insisted on making it smaller.

Jan 23, 2013 at 06:47 PM yaakov doe Says:

Lower_East_Sider Says:

2x4 s were actually 2" x 4" years ago and were downsized like everything else from jars of Hellman's may to Kleenex tissues which have shrunk in size as well as count.

If I were buy a "foot long" sandwhich I'd expect it to measure 12".

Jan 23, 2013 at 07:53 PM Reb Yid Says:

It's like a 16oz steak, which shrinks when you cook it. The bread may be a foot when it's baked but it might dry out slightly in the warmer.

Or they're just looking to shortchange folks to make an easy buck.

Jan 23, 2013 at 08:12 PM Anonymous Says:

ShmutzVesh Says:

what's your point? who cares what it was before it was baked?

Jan 23, 2013 at 08:13 PM Anonymous Says:

shredready Says:

what a stupid law suite if they lose they should be made to reimburse subways

"law suite"? And you're calling them stupid?

Jan 23, 2013 at 08:13 PM Anonymous Says:

RabbiDoctor Says:

Can I sue cause all my 2x4s are deficient?

Yes, you can. You just won't win.

Jan 24, 2013 at 11:08 AM KosherSubway Says:

The baker at subway corporate has already stated they should be 12 inches. But the stores are run by franchisees. Seems a clear cut case of weights and measures. The kosher subway I visit seasons the roast beef with cumin, for example, which I am sure is not approved by corporate and which really defeats the point. If I wanted Israeli food I would go to a pita place.

Jan 26, 2013 at 10:08 PM Anonymous Says:

KosherSubway Says:

Why are you complaining here to us?

Why don't you complain to Subway, or to the franchise owner?

what you're doing seems pretty cowardly to me....