New York - Famous Lines From Former NYC Mayor Ed Koch

Published on: February 1, 2013 10:16 AM
By: AP
FILE - Ed Koch, former New York mayor and head of the U.S. delegation gives a speech during an international two-day conference on fighting anti-Semitism by the Organisation for Security and Cooperation in Europe (OSCE) in the German capital Berlin April 28, 2004. REUTERS/POOLFILE - Ed Koch, former New York mayor and head of the U.S. delegation gives a speech during an international two-day conference on fighting anti-Semitism by the Organisation for Security and Cooperation in Europe (OSCE) in the German capital Berlin April 28, 2004. REUTERS/POOL

New York - A look at some of the famous lines over the years from former New York City Mayor Ed Koch:

—“How’m I doing?”

—“I’m not the type to get ulcers. I give them.”

—“You punch me, I punch back. I do not believe it’s good for one’s self-respect to be a punching bag.”

—“If you agree with me on 9 out of 12 issues, vote for me. If you agree with me on 12 out of 12 issues, see a psychiatrist.”

—“Have you ever lived in the suburbs? It’s sterile. It’s nothing. It’s wasting your life.”

On the prospect of living in Albany, during his failed 1982 race for governor.

—“Whether I am straight or gay or bisexual is nobody’s business but mine.”

—“If they want a parade, let them parade in front of the oil drums in Moonachie.”

After the New York Giants, who play in New Jersey, asked for a permit to hold a parade in the city after winning the Super Bowl in 1987.

—“I was defeated because of longevity, not because Yusuf Hawkins was murdered six weeks before the election, although that was a factor. People get tired of you. So they decided to throw me out.”

After losing the 1989 mayoral primary.

—“It’s not soaring, beautiful, handsome, like the George Washington or the Verrazano. It’s rugged, it’s hard working — and that’s me.”

On the 59th Street Bridge being renamed for him in 2011.

—“I don’t want to leave Manhattan, even when I’m gone. This is my home. The thought of having to go to New Jersey was so distressing to me.”

After purchasing a burial plot in Manhattan’s Trinity Cemetery in 2008.

—“I know that nothing happens here on this Earth that wasn’t ordained by God. I know that. You know that. And therefore, while I know that it was the people who elected me, it was God who selected me.” In 1985, during an Easter Sunday worship in Harlem explaining why he thought he was selected by God to be mayor. The next day, Koch stressed that it did not necessarily mean he was endorsed by God.

“Not that I was given approval by the Deity, but I am delighted I was given the opportunity by the Deity.”

Owings Mills, MD - A Baltimore Shomrim member received special recognition from the San Francisco Police Department for his efforts last month in the rescue of a... Rishon Lezion - The High Court of Justice demanded on Thursday that Rishon Lezion Chief Rabbi Yehuda David Wolpe explain why he sends couples seeking to register for...

Feb 01, 2013 at 11:05 AM Anonymous Says:

Great Mayor yes. Jewish Mayor No. Bought a plot to be buried in a christian cemetary which the most non observant don't do. Nice guy abisel meshuga.

Feb 01, 2013 at 11:12 AM EmesMeieretz Says:

One more line i remember from him, " I AM NOT A JEWISH MAYOR, I AM THE MAYOR OF NEW YORK THAT HAPPENS TO BE JEWISH"

Feb 01, 2013 at 11:36 AM JerusalamiKugel Says:

He is not Jewish no more because hes buried in a Non-Jewish cemetary? Who gave you the authority to make such a ruling? To say such a mean thing about the dead -I feel bad for you

Feb 01, 2013 at 11:55 AM monalisa Says:

I have another famous line...."errrr, ummmm, eh, errr, errr......." He could never spit out a sentence without humming & hawing. It drove me crazy! But hey, he was a real Noo Yawker! And to #1, I have to agree. If he was so hung up on being buried in NY there are cemeteries in Brooklyn, Queens & the Bronx (where he was from) that are Jewish.

Feb 01, 2013 at 01:43 PM Anonymous Says:

Koch caused the whole gay problem today as he led the support of gay rights laws. Chillul Hashem that's koch. He was a mechalel shabbos and oichel treifes and a fighter for liberal anti Torah causes. Shem reshaim yirkav

Feb 01, 2013 at 03:01 PM FormerlyFrum Says:

Jewish yes. Mayor yes. Your definition of observant, no. Still makes him a jewish mayor. But really...who cares what you think about where he wanted to be buried

Feb 01, 2013 at 03:33 PM schwartzi Says:

not meshugah. ah rusha. good let him be buried there. he deserves it.

Feb 01, 2013 at 03:38 PM Howard Says:

"Koch caused the whole gay problem today"??? What an ignorant comment. Gays have been working for greater civil rights for decades, not only in NY but all over the country, as is their right in a democratic society. You, sir, are precisely why so many sensitive, thinking frum Jews go off the derech and why so many Jews look at frumkeit and run away from it like poison. Frummes like you give off an odor of small-mindedness, hate, and bottomless ignorance.

Feb 02, 2013 at 07:09 PM Anonymous Says:

JerusalamiKugel Says:

good comment, I agree with you.

Feb 02, 2013 at 07:13 PM Anonymous Says:

Yes, Koch caused the entire gay "problem", not cowards like you who criticize dead men from behind "anonymous" protection.

You are an animal to talk this way, especially about a Jew who died just yesterday, regardless of whether he met your requirements for being Jewish.

For all you know, he has more Olam Haboh than you do, and almost certainly does: ha may not have kept Odom Lamokom, but he did Odom L'Odom.

You do the reverse, which you should know counts for nothing according to ALL shitahs.

Feb 02, 2013 at 07:14 PM Anonymous Says:

schwartzi Says:

not meshugah. ah rusha. good let him be buried there. he deserves it.

If he was a "rusha", then you re the epitome of Rishus. He did more for Jews in a small amount of time than you will do in your entire life. Who are you to call him a rusha?

Feb 02, 2013 at 07:21 PM Anonymous Says:

Howard Says:

Howard,

I am not gay, I personally do not support gay marriage, so that it not where I am coming from.

I agree with you and support your comment 100%. I can choose gay or straight for myself, but am not supposed to judge others who feel they have no choice whatsoever but to follow other lifestyles. The allegedly frum community bashes gays but accepts and condones adulterers, chilkd molesters, those who are mechalel Shabbos, etc., who at least have a choice in the actions they take.

It is clearly a miracle that I am still frum after seeing what others show being frum to be.

Feb 02, 2013 at 07:55 PM haltkup Says:

Howard Says:

gays always had rights just like everyone else ,just stop telling everyone your gay ,they want to talk about their sexuality all day .these low lives .i have rights too not to have to hear and think about the most disgusting act known to mankind

Feb 02, 2013 at 08:15 PM Anonymous Says:

The Gay community hates him. They claim he set their cause back! They condemned him when he closed all their "steam houses" when AIDS came along. They even forced the liberal NYTimes to change the obituary to talk about his so-called "anti-gay" policies . So maybe you're a roshoh who has no idea what he's talking about!

Feb 03, 2013 at 03:23 AM I_Am_Me Says:

It's actually a funeral place that has all religions, from what I hear. True, the word church there is bad, but it could be something for a reform Jew to do. In fact, there are a few churches in our time who have loaned their church to shuls & vice versa, but of course you would need to be reform or reconstruction to do that.

Feb 05, 2013 at 12:02 AM Anonymous Says:

Howard,

Straight people have a choice to engage in intimacy or not. Same with gay who are "born" that way. The Torah tells them to choose to be celebate rather than act on their desires, which are issur. That is their nisayon. Some people have desire to be a murderer by nature, so the Torah advises they become a shochet or use that nature in a positive way. Being born gay ( if one accepts this premise) does not mean a person has no control over what they do.
Yoseph ran from adultery. We always have a choice.

Feb 05, 2013 at 12:17 AM Anonymous Says:

Howard,

Being frum means you believe in Hashem's Torah, not that you approve of what people who live in your community do or do not do.The actions of those who identify themselves as frum but act otherwise does not negate the Torah.
There is a difference between civil rights and religious observation. We are commanded to refrain from eating treif, but will not be arrested for doing so, as the law of land gives us the right to eat what we please, whether we are Jews or Gentiles. Yet the Torah does not give us this right.
Gays do not have the right to engage in their activity per Torah. They do have the right per civil law. The Torah would never expect someone to refrain from doing something that they were truly incapable of refraining from, hard though it may be to do so. That is why children are not expected to do things adults are, taking into account their age. Do not buy into the "We cannot stop ourselves" belief. The Torah says otherwise. It is a nesayon, no question.