Poland - 300-Year-Old Synagogue Comes Back to Life

Published on: February 3, 2013 09:34 PM
By: AP / Jerusalem Post
Photograph: Czarek Sokolowski/APPhotograph: Czarek Sokolowski/AP

Poland - The Museum of the History of Polish Jews based in Warsaw has been in middle of a project to reconstruct the ceiling of the renowned Ukranian Gwozdziec synagogue in the town of Sanok, southeastern Poland.

The synagogue, built between 1700 and 1731, was a largely wooden structure with an ornately carved and decorated cupola ceiling, resplendent with Hebrew inscriptions and intricately painted images of the zodiacs, animals and vegetation. It was destroyed, along with approximately 200 other wooden synagogues, during the German occupation of Poland in World War II.

An international team of professional volunteers have been painting details to reconstructed the 18th century synagogue roof.

The roof will be a key exhibit in the Museum of the History of Polish Jews, which is due to open in 2014. The original synagogue was destroyed during World War II.

Washington - Defense Secretary Leon Panetta says decisions to strike potential terrorist targets with unmanned drones don't "come lightly." Panetta says those who... New Orleans - Power went out at the Superdome early in the third quarter of the Super Bowl, leading to a 35-minute delay with the Baltimore Ravens leading the San...

Feb 03, 2013 at 10:08 PM Plato Says:

This tip of the iceberg shows just what was lost in Poland due to the german swine.

Feb 03, 2013 at 10:26 PM bored Says:

Someone really wants Jewish tourism income.

Feb 03, 2013 at 11:26 PM frater Says:

bored Says:

Someone really wants Jewish tourism income.

Every year, Poland is visited by 10 to 15 million tourists (I forgot the exact number). How many of them are Jewish and how much income to they leave?

Beautiful piece of art BTW.

Feb 03, 2013 at 11:28 PM Anonymous Says:

bored Says:

Someone really wants Jewish tourism income.

Conversations with you must be like drowning in a combat boot. You have no dignity for the future.

Feb 04, 2013 at 12:31 AM Kzler Says:

frater Says:

Beautiful piece of art BTW.

The difficulty is the amalgamation of deep Jewish history woven into the tapestry of Polish life, the still apparent concept of the "zyd" by some and the Anders which side by side with the Palestine Jewish brigade shed so much blood at Monte Cassino and defeated the Nazis. One must be honest and give credit where crdit is due . Cardinal Wotyla kneeled in Warsaw because he was aware of Auschwitz, Majdanek and
Treblinka. The dregs were the Ukrainian Hilfspolizei

Feb 04, 2013 at 02:46 AM Yawvous Says:

frater Says:

Beautiful piece of art BTW.

It's enough that they stay in a hotel and pay room & board. They thrive on that. Just take a look at the mudded unpaved streets and see how backward they still are. Their golden years were when the Jews lived there and brought some forwarding to their expansion and economy. Now it's just back in the dumps.

Feb 04, 2013 at 02:48 AM Yawvous Says:

I agree. Our Jewish benefit must override the income which they wll be receiving. Like the old saying-" burn the mattress in order to kill the lice, but later you don't have what to sleep on"

Feb 04, 2013 at 10:36 AM frater Says:

Yawvous Says:

I haven't seen "mudded unpaved streets" when I was in Poland. Second, you haven't answered my question. I looked at the statistics of the Polish Tourism Agency several times. Israelis are not even listed because they are just a tiny fraction of all tourists. Even if there were 100,000 Jewish tourists in Poland per year (which I think is a high estimate), it would still be only 1% of all tourists in that country. And even assuming they leave $3,000 each, that would amount to $300 million which is 0.06% of Polish GDP. It makes much more sense to invest money in catering to tourists from neighboring countries who come by the millions.

Yes, there is benefit to Poland in doing renovations like the one described in the article (besides the one of restoring cultural legacy), but it's about PR not about income.

Feb 04, 2013 at 01:39 PM grannysmith Says:

When i visited Poland, boys on bicycles followed our bus sticking up their middle finger to Jewish tourists. but I took some satisfaction from davening in the restored shul in Tykocin/T iktin. I knew that I was at least the 4th generation of my family to daven their. As the midrash quotes Yaakov Avinu: shall I pass by the place where my ancestors davened and not daven too?
My mother was from Sanok/Sunik and I would love to see that shul.

Feb 04, 2013 at 03:25 PM frater Says:

grannysmith Says:

My mother was from Sanok/Sunik and I would love to see that shul.

#10 - you should have taken pictures and sent them to the media (like Gazeta Wyborcza), they could raise the issue and make a stink about it.