Lezajsk, Poland - In Photos: Thousands Attend Yahrzeit Of Reb Elimelech Of Lizensk Zt'l

Published on: March 3, 2013 11:31 AM
Ultra Orthodox Jewish man pray at the grave of Rabbi Elimelech Weissblum, in Lezajsk, southern Poland, 03 March 2013. Every year, Rabbi Elimelech Weissblum's grave is visited on the anniversary of his death on the 21st of the Hebrew month of Adar, by thousands of those faithful to Hasidism. Maciej Goclon for VINNews.comUltra Orthodox Jewish man pray at the grave of Rabbi Elimelech Weissblum, in Lezajsk, southern Poland, 03 March 2013. Every year, Rabbi Elimelech Weissblum’s grave is visited on the anniversary of his death on the 21st of the Hebrew month of Adar, by thousands of those faithful to Hasidism. Maciej Goclon for VINNews.com

Lezajsk, Poland - Thousands of Jews reached Lezajsk this weekend, with pilgrims mainly drawn from Europe, Israel, America and Canada.

Pilgrims will pray at the tomb of eighteenth century rabbi Elimelech Weisblum (d.1787), who is regarded as one of the three fathers of Hasidism, the mystical branch of Orthodox Judaism that swept through Poland in reaction to the rigid academic traditions that had hitherto prevailed among Jews in the region.

Hasidic Jews believe that on the anniversary of his death tomorrow, Rabbi Elimelech Weisblum will descend from the heavens and answer the prayers of pilgrims.

These pleas are submitted in written form as kvitels – paper notes that are placed on the rabbi’s grave, which in this case is located in a specially constructed building within the grounds of the town’s old Jewish cemetery.

Prior to the Second World War, about 3000 Jews lived in Lezajsk. The vast majority did not survive the Holocaust. The graveyard itself, which was almost completely destroyed during the war, was reconstructed under the auspices of the Nissenbaum Foundation, together with other private donors.

Photo credit: Maciej Goclon for VINNews.com
Photos are copyright to VINNews.com.. no use without permission.

Riyadh - Al Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula (AQAP), the Islamist movement's most active branch, has released an English-language magazine advising would-be militants on... New York - As thousands flock to Poland for today's yahrtzeit of R' Elimelech of Lizhensk, a new film by master storyteller Hanoch Teller offers a glimpse into the life...

You can now automatically hide comments - New!

Don't worry, you can always display comments when you need to.

Mar 03, 2013 at 11:52 AM Sam Cim Says:

די זכות זאל מיגון זיין אויף אינץ

Mar 03, 2013 at 12:15 PM Anonymous Says:

Sam Cim Says:

די זכות זאל מיגון זיין אויף אינץ

אמן

Mar 03, 2013 at 01:34 PM proud-mo-israeli Says:

I am sure that my DIRECT ancestor is happy that his DIRECT Einikle is a proud soldier in the Jewish army in the State of Israel defending the millions of Jews that now have the Zchut to live here.
I know that I am proud of my roots & happy of the progress that we have made in the past 65 years.

Mar 03, 2013 at 02:24 PM curious Says:

I strongly agree. Additionally, this narishkeit and use of an intermediary borders on avoda zara.

Mar 03, 2013 at 03:32 PM enlightened-yid Says:

Apparently the followers do not agree with your opinion. They were taught to believe that if they spend thousands of dollars on international flight to put a wish note on the grave, the rebbe will fly down from heaven to answer their prayers. So if they spend millions of dollars on organizing this pilgrimage, the rebbe will answer the prayers with solutions to your concerns.
I like this new trend of pilgrimages to graves, this way they get to experience and see the countries and cultures where their ancestry, customs and fashion came from. Hopefully they don't forget to daven to Hashem when they stand next to the graves, otherwise it stops being Judaism.

Mar 03, 2013 at 04:28 PM ShmuelG Says:

proud-mo-israeli Says:

Oh, now you are claiming yichus. Nice try; I don't buy it for a second. I am sure you descended from some contemptible maskilim and are trying to cover up.

Mar 03, 2013 at 06:05 PM Anonymous Says:

Those Schnorrers and money beggars are really disgusting and embarrassing kol israel! People pay a few thousand dollars for the trip alone; can we just have some peace when we travel somewhere?
How did those Schnorrers end up in Lezajsk, Poland in the first place who paid for them for the trip expenses? If you don’t have money you shouldn’t go on luxury trips period. Our parents never had this idea to fly for trips and chase after people for money to pay for those trips.

Mar 03, 2013 at 06:49 PM I_Am_Me Says:

It's amazing how riculous & ignorant you all sound! Of course, they Daven to Hashem! However, they also know the meaning of the word meletz yashir! It's really pathetic to see people with a lack of knowledge ridiculing their own brethren!
Oh & just so you know they buy ALL their food OUTSIDE Poland, whether its America, Israel or somewhere else, but the food is brought with them.
Another thing, there are many Jews living all over Europe & Poland who are poor. Therefore, if they did buy food there (which they don't) they are only helping to support poor Jews there.
As for the money spent to get there, how much money do people of all religions squander in order to get to places they feel are important to them (& sometimes are) like the Kotel, the Tomb of Patriarchs, the Tomb of Rachel Imanu, Mecca, Bethlehem & so on.
So stop your none sense!

Mar 03, 2013 at 06:59 PM Benjey Says:

If we would not go there we would not have any Cemeteries left they would all be gone my father just put together $17,000 to rebuild a cematery right next to kashau
a small town called Medzilaborce and my grandfather who should live till 120 BH
and was in the zunderkomando in Auschwitz for 3 years also gave money so go figure

Mar 03, 2013 at 07:17 PM Benjey Says:

If we would not go there we would not be any cemateries left they would destroyed
my father just put together $17,000 to rebuild the cematery in Medzilaborce a small town an hours drive from kashau and my grandfather should live till 120 gezunt aheit who was in auschwitz in the zunderkomando for 3 years also gave money so go figure thank god we have people like Mr. Singer who take people on tours so that they should have a little idea what it was like
Thanks to avoseinu

Mar 03, 2013 at 08:35 PM GeorgeS Says:

ShmuelG Says:

That remark was entirely uncalled for, ShmuelG, and you know it.

Whatever possessed you, a highly educated person, no doubt, who considers himself to be cultured and well-mannered to even *think* of writing such a thing?

Even if the unwitting target of your barbs, proud-mo-israeli, is "being a little economical with the truth" why did you have to humiliate him in so public a manner? Neither he, nor the rest of us, care a jot what you do or "don't buy for a second". This was an instance of pure and unadulterated spite.

Quite frankly, ShmuelG, you should be thoroughly ashamed of yourself. Don't wait for chodesh Elul: beg "proud-mo-israeli" for selicha umechila right now!

Mar 03, 2013 at 08:55 PM Anonymous Says:

Nice pictures of the Kosover Rebbe

Mar 03, 2013 at 10:03 PM Mechi2012 Says:

Shame on you what's your problem with beggars ? The people that go to Lizensk know the importance of giving tzeduka and don't mind the beggars.Reb Elimalch was known for going around and collecting money for poor people I hope in zechis of the Holly Tzadik you should do teshiva and start loving every Jew regardless if he is a Shnurer.

Mar 03, 2013 at 10:12 PM Mechi2012 Says:

Mar 04, 2013 at 10:27 AM TexasJew Says:

I was there, wearing the black hat. just kidding

Mar 04, 2013 at 11:46 PM I_Am_Me Says:

proud-mo-israeli Says:

Kol hakavod! I the direct grandchild of the Berdichev & Spinka rabbiem applaud you & I know how proud all our ancestors are of you!

Mar 04, 2013 at 11:51 PM I_Am_Me Says:

ShmuelG Says:

I hate to sink back to childhood but it takes one to know one. Actually, let me not go back that far - only as far back as my modern orthodox & zionistic teachings which brought me to being a psychologist - & only say stop projecting.

Mar 05, 2013 at 03:08 AM proud-mo-israeli Says: