Rockville Centre, NY - NY Man Gets Summonses For Laughing Too Loudly

Published on: March 6, 2013 10:41 AM
By: AP
Photo illustration ONLYPhoto illustration ONLY

Rockville Centre, NY - A New York man says he didn’t know it was a crime to laugh.

Robert Schiavelli of Rockville Centre, on Long Island, was slapped with two summonses for “disturbing the peace.”

Police responded to his home on Feb. 12 and Feb. 13 after receiving complaints from his next-door neighbor that his loud laughs could be heard across the driveway.

The 42-year-old was charged with acting “in such a manner as to annoy, disturb, interfere with, obstruct, or be offensive to others.”

At his arraignment Tuesday, a judge declined to dismiss the charges.

Schiavelli tells the New York Post (http://bit.ly/WPGKHp ) his neighbor often taunts him due to his disability. He deals with it by laughing him off.

Schiavelli suffers from seizures and neurological impairments.

The neighbor didn’t respond to requests for comment.

New York - Finding a can of regular Sprite in the United Kingdom is about to get difficult. Coca-Cola says it's replacing Sprite in the country with a version that... New York - A New York Post (http://bit.ly/WJpnCv) exclusive today says that New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg's new crusade is "preventing New Yorkers from going...

You can now automatically hide comments - New!

Don't worry, you can always display comments when you need to.

Mar 06, 2013 at 11:06 AM Kolymsky Avraham Says:

"At his arraignment Tuesday, a judge declined to dismiss the charges."

So, put in simple language, this totally risible case will proceed - at the taxpayers' expense. That is no laughing matter at all.

Mar 06, 2013 at 11:58 AM Andrew Says:

Methinks there is more to this story than the headline would lead us to believe.

Mar 06, 2013 at 12:11 PM Rivkah Says:

This is just crazy. The man has enough problems, let him have his laugh.

Mar 06, 2013 at 12:15 PM DRE53 Says:

I hope Bloomberg doesn't pick up on this

Mar 06, 2013 at 12:20 PM DRE53 Says:

On a more serious note, I remember a few years ago a neighbor of mine made a simchas beis hashoeivo and there was loud noise way into the wee hours of the morning. I called them and explained that I need to get up the next morning at 7:00 to go to work, but my plea fell at deaf ears. After 3 phone calls and it still didn't work I called police who arrived after a half hour only to tell me that there's nothing they can do since the noise is coming from private property.

Mar 06, 2013 at 12:49 PM Yoilish Says:

Ha ha

Mar 06, 2013 at 12:59 PM my-oponion Says:

Rivkah Says:

This is just crazy. The man has enough problems, let him have his laugh.

Would you like to live next door of him?

Mar 06, 2013 at 01:00 PM Yoseph Says:

LOL. (Oops - not TOO loud).

Mar 06, 2013 at 01:14 PM Anonymous Says:

DRE53 Says:

Your action is that of a Mosser, having violated Choshen Mishpat 388. Better had you called the Shomrim, or just shut your windows.

Mar 06, 2013 at 01:21 PM Anonymous Says:

The cops that arrested this joker I can excuse for being arrogant. But the judge? Is he out of his mind? I this what we need to have our courts busy with? Is this a police state?

Mar 06, 2013 at 01:55 PM bennyt Says:

He's lucky he wasn't caught drinking a 16 oz. soda out of a styrofoam cup while walking in a bike lane in Manhattan. They would really nail him for that!

Mar 06, 2013 at 02:14 PM ALTERG Says:

DRE53 Says:

You are wrong, cause you not aloud to work on chol hamoed

Mar 06, 2013 at 02:31 PM Mandel Says:

don't understand its still month of Adar?

Mar 06, 2013 at 02:55 PM Big Masmid Says:

If one has the need to cry is it OK to cry loud?

Mar 06, 2013 at 02:58 PM Brooklyn mom Says:

Hope he sues the neighbor for defamation of character and laughs all the way to the bank. What a waste of time and money and energy. I'd rather hear him laugh than hear him scream and beat up his wife and kids.

Mar 06, 2013 at 04:08 PM Anonymous Says:

For crying out loud ! Oops....hmmm...is there an expression 'For laughing out loud'?

Mar 06, 2013 at 05:36 PM ShmuelG Says:

DRE53 Says:

In other words, you were moiser on people who engaged in simchas beis hashoeiva because you want to work on chol hamoed. Who needs reform?

Mar 06, 2013 at 04:16 PM gitgezogt Says:

Are you a dayan, can I ask you other shalis if I need

Mar 06, 2013 at 08:53 PM my-oponion Says:

Rivkah Says:

This is just crazy. The man has enough problems, let him have his laugh.

Would you like to live next door of him?

Mar 06, 2013 at 09:59 PM Anonymous Says:

gitgezogt Says:

Are you a dayan, can I ask you other shalis if I need

Certainly not!!! and not until you and your adversary come together and sign my "shtar berrurin", a version adopted from the greatest dayyan of our generation, Rav Geshtetner Sh'lita.

Mar 06, 2013 at 10:34 PM emesveyatziv Says:

I can't stop laughing and I hope I won't get arrested
I used to live in Williamsburg and there was an old Rabbi (ob"m) who used to sneeze very loudly' I would hear him across the street
I just can't imagine anyone calling the police about such things

Mar 06, 2013 at 10:41 PM shredready Says:

and what about that family don't they need to respect their neighbors ad not keep everybody up. He did ask and warn them they are at fault for having no respect for others

Mar 06, 2013 at 11:18 PM esther Says:

don't you gentlemen have anything better to due 3 weeks before pesach then stech each other anonymously over the internet?

Mar 07, 2013 at 01:09 AM I_Am_Me Says:

Rivkah Says:

This is just crazy. The man has enough problems, let him have his laugh.

You're 100% right! A (n adult) man bullies another with problems & he's not allowed to laugh at the bully?! Aren't we trying to teach our children not to be bullies since it causes to many suicides? Then why are adults allowed to bully?!
As for the judge how can he not dismiss the charges?! True, there's probably more to the story, but that's not the point!! The judge needs to stand up against the bully for the sick victim!

Mar 07, 2013 at 09:08 AM Anonymous Says:

What's the plaintiff's phone number? I want to call, laugh lysterically and hang up

Mar 07, 2013 at 12:45 PM OPElly Says:

ALTERG Says:

You are wrong, cause you not aloud to work on chol hamoed

Not so simple. You are allowed to work (aloud or silently) if the alternative is to suffer a loss. I've had to do it for years.