New York - Jewish Groups Call On Glenn Beck To Apologize For Depicting Bloomberg As Nazi

Published on: May 7, 2013 11:47 AM
In a keynote address at the NRA annual convention in Houston, Glenn Beck likened New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg to a Nazi. (ABC News)In a keynote address at the NRA annual convention in Houston, Glenn Beck likened New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg to a Nazi. (ABC News)

New York - Leaders of the Anti-Defamation League and B’nai B’rith are calling on Glenn Beck to apologize for his depiction of New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg as a Nazi this past weekend at the National Rifle Association’s annual convention in Houston.

ABCNEWS (http://abcn.ws/16eaq3V) is reporting that Beck unveiled a video slide of Bloomberg giving the Nazi salute and wearing an armband during his two-hour key-note address at the convention Saturday night.

The words “You will” appeared next to the Bloomberg likeness—-short, Beck claimed, for the new slogan “You will love New York” which he says he has invented for Bloomberg in response to the mayor’s Quality of Life Initiative.

Holocaust survivor and director of the Anti-Defamation League, Abraham Foxman, called Beck’s antics “deeply offensive” and called on Beck to stop “trivializing” the Holocaust in attempts to score “partisan political points.”

A spokesman for B’nai B’rith said it was “another example” of the “loose use” of the Holocaust to “denigrate” political opponents.

Both have called on Beck to apologize.

Cleveland, OH - Two neighbors near a Cleveland house where three women were found alive after disappearing a decade ago say police were called twice in recent years to... Woodmere, NY - A unique website created by a Woodmere mother helps coordinate chesed efforts for those going through an illness or other crisis. TziporahsNest.com is...

You can now automatically hide comments - New!

Don't worry, you can always display comments when you need to.

May 07, 2013 at 11:55 AM ChareidiMan Says:

I agree he should apologize but to the Nazis not to Bloomberg!

Bloomberg is a true Nazi and a manipulator, control freak. The title Nazi is a perfect fit for him. The guy stands for everything against morality and against common sense.

If it would be up to Bloomberg, Bris Milah would be gone, Kaporos would be gone and many more Jewish traditional minhagim as well, while the Gays would have every right in the book! This is a liberal, power hungry man and the czar deserves the title fully!
thank you Glen Beck for having the GUTS to say it the way it is!

May 07, 2013 at 12:26 PM Raphael_Kaufman Says:

I've often said that Bloomberg would feel very comfortable on a brown shirt.

May 07, 2013 at 12:36 PM AshMan Says:

This Nazi calling has gotten way too easy. We all understand hyperbole to prove a point, but where do you go when your opening gambit is "Nazi?" Outside of dictators actually murdering people, can we just tone it down? And that goes for the Bush=hitler crowds too.

May 07, 2013 at 12:53 PM yossele Says:

I think we're pretty much done with organizations like the ADL and Bnai Brith. They passed into irrelevance years ago, and probably do more to stoke anti-semitism than to fight it...

May 07, 2013 at 01:01 PM CSLMoish Says:

Thanks Glenn. We support you. Mike is a 1st class Capo

May 07, 2013 at 01:07 PM Maven Says:

ChareidiMan Says:

I agree he should apologize but to the Nazis not to Bloomberg!

thank you Glen Beck for having the GUTS to say it the way it is!

While i agree that Bloomberg is a little tyrant dictator where everything has to be his way with all his mshagassen,to call him a Nazi is way over.Nazi is such a strong term that by calling him Nazi it takes away what he really is.I despise him too but please do not call him Nazi im surprised VIN posted your comment.

May 07, 2013 at 01:17 PM NJ Shmuel Says:

Why should he apologize? How many times have we read on this site and many others that one person called another a Nazi? We throw this "title" around like the Obama administration handing out phones. Before we go and shoot Mr. Beck for using the term, let's clean up our own house.

Do you remember the Eida's demonstration with the men dressed in Holocaust garb and the children as well. Do you remember just a few days ago, a haradi editor calling MK Lapid a Nazi as well? Today, anyone that you don't agree with is a Nazi! Haradi, DL or secular.

Come on people, look in the mirror!

May 07, 2013 at 01:21 PM clear-thinker Says:

ChareidiMan Says:

I agree he should apologize but to the Nazis not to Bloomberg!

thank you Glen Beck for having the GUTS to say it the way it is!

What you say is a lie. I would say you are not telling the truth but this is beyond any rational statement/ You know, or should know, that Bloomberg has never stated that Bris Milah should be done away with. Some of the more traditional minhagim..
which?
What does anything here have to do with gays?
I take it you lost noone in the holocaust. I take it that you don't know, or perhaps care, that millions of Jews were murdered. If you did, you would not call another Jew a Nazi. This has become a habit among some Chareidim. Call whoever you disagree with a Nazi. I would not call you a nazi, merely a self hating Jew

May 07, 2013 at 01:24 PM Anonymous Says:

I agree with Glen Beck's point but not the image. Not everyone has to be a Nazi to be evil dictator. I think he is more like Stalin

May 07, 2013 at 01:25 PM Anonymous Says:

Bloomberg is a wise man though not always making the punch bowl appealing to the party. If you ask me, this is a charade and Glenn Beck is dancing on his own tooth of abysmal protection from his own holiday of inconceived notions of illiterate beginnings. Translated, Glenn Beck is a fraud.

May 07, 2013 at 01:27 PM Anonymous Says:

ChareidiMan Says:

I agree he should apologize but to the Nazis not to Bloomberg!

thank you Glen Beck for having the GUTS to say it the way it is!

Can I just apologize to Hashem for your conduct and commentary? I guess when you are lonely and have no future as you might have, you confuse a dignified voice in American history with the voices of the people who tried to kill you. You are off to a good start. I apologize for the comments of "ChareidiMan", Hashem; he is not well and has not understood his own future or that of his people.

May 07, 2013 at 02:28 PM yonasonw Says:

ChareidiMan Says:

I agree he should apologize but to the Nazis not to Bloomberg!

thank you Glen Beck for having the GUTS to say it the way it is!

I am the 62 year old son of a survivor - Your comment does gross dishonor to memory of the six million and to the others murdered by the Nazis, and reflects a disgraceful insensitivity to the horrors of the Churban Europe. Shame on you.

May 07, 2013 at 03:18 PM allmark Says:

ChareidiMan Says:

I agree he should apologize but to the Nazis not to Bloomberg!

thank you Glen Beck for having the GUTS to say it the way it is!

Your comment is exactly what the ADL is opposing. If I remember correctly, Nazis were primarily interested in murdering Jews, not in preventing Bris Milah or Kaporos, except indirectly since the dead Jews wouldn't be able to perform these mitzvahs. Remember, Nazis murdered 6 million Jews, Bloomberg has not advocated murdering a single Jew. That is a pretty big difference.

May 07, 2013 at 03:32 PM ChareidiMan Says:

When you call someone "stupid" he can be called stupid even if he is not as stupid as the stupidest man in the world. Same with the word Nazi, he does not have to be the worst of the worst to be a Nazi, his action is made out of the fabric the Nazis were made off and that's the point!

And by the way #6, VIN posted my comment because its called a dialogue, they don't have to agree with me and can still post my point of view, this is what we call freedom, unlike Bloomberg which controls me how much sugar I can drink, etc. etc.

May 07, 2013 at 03:33 PM Liepa Says:

Whilst I'm no fan of Bloomberg per se, bestowing this despicable title upon him is completely out of line regardless of any reason(s).

The aforementiond name should remain eternally with the 'MENUVAL' who savagely slaughtered six million of our brothers and sisters not to mention millions of others and the world wide destruction he inflicted and left behind when he cowardly commited suicide, YIMACH SHMOI V'ZICHROI LONETZACH !

May 07, 2013 at 03:39 PM DanielBarbaz Says:

To all the smug, self righteous, and sanctimonious people who write here and refer to anyone with whom they do not agree as a "Nazi" shame on you! As the son of a Survivor, I find your use of that accusation beyond despicable.

The Nazis YS"V murdered 6 million Jews. Can you even fathom what that means?
You toss around the term" Nazi" so freely that it loses its meaning and significance.

Let me remind you: Our fellow Jews suffered indignities and pain that you cannot even imagine. Jews were killed in cold blood, starved, tortured (physically and emotionally), maimed, worked to death, and denied even the most basic human needs----while the world turned a blind eye to what was happening.

Yet you toss that same term towards a fellow Jew whose worst crime against you is that he is against swinging a live chicken around your head as a form of Kapporos. He has not tried to outlaw Milah and I am not going to dignify your comments by trying to explain what you should know.

I suggest that you use your language and cognitive skills more wisely.

May 07, 2013 at 04:09 PM Nobody Says:

When Guilliani was mayor every left wing protest against him were filled with calling him a Nazi. Where were these organizations then?

May 07, 2013 at 04:16 PM Anonymous Says:

Enough said about Beck...the guy is real dreche beyond any description that would be appropriate on this website. Bloomberg's public policies may offend some libertarians but a Nazi?? For all those who suffered al kidush hashem in the shoah, their deaths should not be trivialized by comparing this piece of garbage to the nazis y's vazichronam.

May 07, 2013 at 04:17 PM clear-thinker Says:

ChareidiMan Says:

Actually, what Bloomberg wants you to do is to get up off your tochis and get a second soda. This does nothing to the amount of sugar you can consume. You are right that you have freedom of speech. It seems that you use it to show how much you hate your fellow Jews. A person who is Jewish, by definition, cannot be a Nazi. By the way, I've read you first paragraph. I would submit that you have no point.
Notice, I did not call you stupid. I called you a self hating Jew, who cares nothing for the fact that 6,000,000 of our people were murdered.
I would love to call you rather than Bloomberg a Nazi, but I why be disengenous?

May 07, 2013 at 05:33 PM murray059 Says:

I would say that this Bloomy guy is a definitely a Faschist dictator, and I think he can be rightfully compared to Musolini, except being I am not from your precious city , so I don't know if Bloomy has gotten the trains to run on time.

May 07, 2013 at 06:12 PM hashomer Says:

Glenn Beck is a headline grabbing fascist, who was at the NRA to advocate for more guns, more right-wing agony against anyone not as white as them (including us Yidden) , and more killing in the world. Leave Bloomie out of this.

May 07, 2013 at 06:30 PM Anonymous Says:

Really if you are jewish and enjoy Glenn Beck, visit the holocaust museum a few more times and try not to fart this time.

May 07, 2013 at 06:47 PM ShmuelG Says:

I don't recall calling someone a "nazi" to make some point being widely used before those ugly men of the left, suffering from Bush Derangement Syndrome, started repeatedly calling President Bush "hitler." Since then it became increasingly acceptable to employ the "nazi" metaphor in one context or another. I am not happy about it, but that genie is out of the bottle. Just one more way the ugly left made our lives better.

May 07, 2013 at 06:53 PM Anonymous Says:

allmark Says:

not true - if you look in Hitler's writings, the reason why he wanted to kill Jews was in order to eradicate the Jewish religion and morality in general. Although he used Christianity in a hijacked manner in his war against Judaism, he also felt that Christianity was bad because it came from Judaism. His plan was to return Europe to its ancient pre-Christian pagan roots. Before Hitler started killing Jews, he started by outlawing Judaism. And taking guns away from his populace.

May 07, 2013 at 07:44 PM murray059 Says:

You are an ingrate, probably never listened to or watched Mr. Beck, because if you did then you would know that Glenn has nothing but admiration for Israel and the Jewish people, and has stated so on numerous occassions, and he has friends including prominent Rabbis

May 07, 2013 at 09:32 PM ayinglefunadorf Says:

ChareidiMan Says:

I agree he should apologize but to the Nazis not to Bloomberg!

thank you Glen Beck for having the GUTS to say it the way it is!

"Bloomberg is a true nazi" I understand that in your Yeshivah they didnt teach the Holocaust in the Morning Seder, so let me explain some of it. They the (Nazis jm"s) killed 6 million Yidden. Bloomber didnt kill b"h one. So unless you are one of those who went to Iran to deny the Holocaust please go to a Barnies and Noble bookstore and get some books on the Holocaust (Dont tell your rebbi its osur to go to a book store for a yeshivah bocher)

May 07, 2013 at 09:37 PM Anonymous Says:

"I think he is more like Stalin" Sorry but Stalin was never elected. Bloomberg was elected by a majority including most frumme.

May 07, 2013 at 09:43 PM Anonymous Says:

murray059 Says:

"probably never listened to Beck" You are right Beck is a republican, 95% of the jews vote and listen to democrats. The republicans have never elected one single Frumme jewish Officials in USA history. The Democrats: S.Silver, Senator Lieberman, Dov Hikind, Jack Lew, etc. If you know a single frumme Republican in USA History please share with us. Even non religios jewish congressman are only one repblican with 27 democrat

May 07, 2013 at 09:52 PM Anonymous Says:

ChareidiMan Says:

"unlike Bloomberg which controls me how much sugar i can drink" You know verry well that its not true. You are allowed to drink at home at friends as much sugar you wish. In public you are restricted just like drugs and many other things (most experts say sugar is worse than dope) and Bloomberg doesnt control you, you elected him to lead to the best of his knowledge and that what he does. Its called Goverment. It started with Joseph Hatzadik ordering every one to save the food etc for their best interest in the future. Bloomberg does the same. I am sorry that you dont realize that its in your best interest.

May 07, 2013 at 10:00 PM Anonymous Says:

clear-thinker Says:

"I did not call you stupid. I called you a self hating Jew" I disagree with you. Its more likely he is a Yeshivah Bochur who never learned about the Holocaust. Remember most Yesivish,Chassidish Yeshivas have no History classes. Not in the Morning Seder or Night Seder or at all. How would they know? Many of them are Baal Tshuves who didnt have relatives murdered by the Nazis jm"s. Lets use this forum to educate them. They only using word they dont understand.

May 07, 2013 at 10:04 PM Anonymous Says:

ShmuelG Says:

"Started calling Pres Bush hitler" President Bush was no Hitler he was a fine men, but he ordered a war, killing 100s of thousand innocent with no results except a budget deficit. Mayor Bloomberg hadnt killed a soul. He might even save 100s from diabetes and early death. So what is your point?

May 07, 2013 at 10:10 PM Anonymous Says:

murray059 Says:

"I am not from your precious city" That is your loss. We are proud New Yorkers, proud of our Mayor, proud of our elected frumme Democrat Yiddische leaders, S. Silver,Dov Hikind etc. proud of the Largest Frumm Jewish City outside of Jerusalem.

May 07, 2013 at 10:14 PM Anonymous Says:

Nobody Says:

"When Guilliani was mayor every left wing protest against him calling him a Nazi" OK so now All this LEFT WING meshugayim calling Bloomberg a nazi. You feel better now? Normal educated people didnt call Guilliani or Bloomberg this kind of names

May 07, 2013 at 10:40 PM Anonymous Says:

murray059 Says:

Glenn Beck respects Israel the same way a dog respects a T-bone steak. Lets not get involved in this triviazer of the holocaust's conspiracy theories.

May 08, 2013 at 04:45 PM ShmuelG Says:

I think I made my point very succinctly and clearly. Read my post #23 again, slowly. Then read it one more time. If you still don't understand, well, I will then conclude that you are on the left.

May 08, 2013 at 07:04 PM Anonymous Says:

ShmuelG Says:

You are right, the whackos on the left used that on Mr. Bush too and it was a horrible deviation from true dignity. If you ask me, you are all the same whackos.