United Nations - U.N. Complains To Israel About Violations Of Lebanese Airspace

Published on: May 7, 2013 01:51 PM
By: AP
A United Nations armoured car drives through a gate at a U.N. base near the Kuneitra border crossing between Israel and Syria, in the Israeli-occupied Golan Heights May 7, 2013. ReutersA United Nations armoured car drives through a gate at a U.N. base near the Kuneitra border crossing between Israel and Syria, in the Israeli-occupied Golan Heights May 7, 2013. Reuters

United Nations - The U.N. peacekeeping force in southern Lebanon has protested to Israel after it observed increased violations of Lebanese air space by Israel, which carried out raids in Syria to target what it said were Iranian missiles bound for Hezbollah militants.

Intelligence sources said Israel on Friday and Sunday attacked Iranian-supplied missiles stored near the Syrian capital of Damascus, awaiting transport to Hezbollah, an ally of Syrian President Bashar al-Assad.

“UNIFIL (the U.N. Interim Force in Lebanon) says that in the course of the past week it has observed a higher number of Israeli air violations over Lebanese air space,” U.N. spokesman Martin Nesirky told reporters on Tuesday.

“The U.N. Interim Force has lodged firm protests with the Israeli Defense Force on this matter asking them to cease the over flights,” Nesirky said.

Lebanon, in a letter obtained by Reuters on Monday, also called on the U.N. Security Council to “compel Israel to halt its violations of Lebanon’s sovereignty by air, sea and land, and carry out all its obligations in accordance with Resolution 1701.

U.N. Security Council Resolution 1701 halted the 2006 Israel-Hezbollah war in southern Lebanon, which remains a stronghold of Hezbollah militants. Lebanon regularly accuses Israel of violating its airspace.

Turkey and Iran have also condemned the Israeli strikes on Syria.

Syria is engulfed in a two-year civil war, which began as peaceful protests against Assad that turned violent when his forces tried to crush the revolt. The United Nations says more than 70,000 people have been killed.

Israel is reluctant to take sides in Syria’s two-year-old civil war for fear its actions would boost Islamists who are even more hostile to it than the Assad family, which has maintained a stable standoff with the Jewish state for decades.

Rehovot, Israel - With a hand on her chest, 82-year-old Rivka Fringeru battled back tears as she reeled off a list of names she has rarely voiced in the past 70 years... Cleveland, OH - Now, after the astounding discovery, three men are in police custody. They are brothers. Cleveland police on Tuesday identified them as 52-year-old...

You can now automatically hide comments - New!

Don't worry, you can always display comments when you need to.

May 07, 2013 at 02:25 PM alterknaker Says:

Suuuuuuuuuuuch hypocrites. I'm just lost for words.

May 07, 2013 at 02:26 PM Anonymous Says:

Dear UN
Take a hike!
If you did your job, Israeli overflights would not be necessary.

May 07, 2013 at 02:55 PM Anonymous Says:

I was in Jerusalem the other week and stayed in the Leonardo hotel on St George street, as I left the hotel one day, a UN car passed in front of me, so I flagged it down and asked the driver what he was doing overthere? He said, maintaning the peace! So my answer to him was, that since I'm an American citizen and paying my taxes, so I believe that I'm paying his salary, so I dismissed him from his job!

May 07, 2013 at 03:49 PM ALLAN Says:

Just where is the UN when rockets are rained down on Israel from Gaza? Totally worthless organization, that has shown an obvious distain for Israel and a blind eye on the actions of the so-called Palestinians.

May 07, 2013 at 03:57 PM posaikacharon Says:

Unbelievable Nuts. Useless Nebs. Utter No-goods.

May 07, 2013 at 04:06 PM 5TResident Says:

I guess the UN has no problem with Hizbollah rockets violating Israel's airspace when they are fired from Lebanon. That's how I would have answered the UN's "complaint".

May 07, 2013 at 05:24 PM murray059 Says:

The UN is good for kids collecting pennies for on Oct 31st along with their candy. NOTHING ELSE. Close it down, boot them out of the city, worthless hotbed of anti-semites, anti US, and anti West spies.

May 08, 2013 at 12:40 AM Get Your facts straight before you post Says:

Do You mean King George Street?
And since when does "America" owns the the UN ?
American citizen , therefore u as a taxpayer can do what?
Pleeeze LOL