Jerusalem - Video Of Israel's Education Minister Bursting Into Laughing Fit Goes Viral

Published on: June 4, 2013 09:39 AM
By: Jerusalem Post
MK Shai Piron giggling Photo: YouTube ScreenshotMK Shai Piron giggling Photo: YouTube Screenshot

Jerusalem - There is a known affliction of those who stay up late at night – becoming so tired that everything seems funny – and Education Minister Shai Piron caught it after midnight on Monday.

After hours of voting on the panel appointing judges, extending the Law to Prevent Infiltration, increasing the deficit and more, the time came for the government to present its position on a law increasing the penalty for smuggling phones and dangerous items into prisons to up to five years in jail.

Since Public Security Minister Yitzhak Aharonovich was not in the plenum at midnight, Piron was asked to present the bill.

An exhausted, but cheerful Piron took the stand and began reading the legislation and cracked up laughing when he got to the words “inserting items into prisons.”

MK Moshe Gafni (UTJ) shouted: “What is the connection between the Education Minister and prisons?”

Other MKs in the plenum started laughing along with him, and MK Shuli Muallem (Bayit Yehudi) filmed Piron with her smartphone.

Deputy Knesset Speaker Moshe Feiglin (Likud Beytenu) joked that he usually has to tell MKs to calm down so the minister on the stand can speak, but this time it’s the opposite. Then, he brought Piron a cup of water.

Eventually, Welfare Minister Meir Cohen took Piron’s place, and the bill passed with 31 in favor and 13 opposed.

The next morning, one of Piron’s aides was unsure how to explain the events, joking that it was “past his bedtime.”

Brooklyn, NY - Over 4,500 people flocked to Marine Park this past Sunday afternoon to enjoy a family event designed to teach parents and children about personal... Moscow - President Vladimir Putin says Russia hasn't yet fulfilled a contract to send sophisticated S-300 air defense missile systems to Syria. Russian officials have...

Jun 04, 2013 at 09:44 AM Geulah Says:

Filming and posting this is as inane and asinine as concerning one's self with drinking from bottled water during a State of the Union address. These are human beings.

Jun 04, 2013 at 10:36 AM Normal Says:

I see the country is in safe hands.

Jun 04, 2013 at 10:56 AM KACH613 Says:

This happens to me all the time kiddush Friday night I just cant help myself.

Jun 04, 2013 at 11:14 AM Realistic Says:

This is what he and his party are א חברה לצים.

Jun 04, 2013 at 12:27 PM Chaim Says:

KACH613 Says:

This happens to me all the time kiddush Friday night I just cant help myself.

I thought kiddush friday night only happens to my dad!

Jun 04, 2013 at 01:40 PM alterknaker Says:

Realistic Says:

This is what he and his party are א חברה לצים.

Never mind the party but the whole country is directed in this PURIMDIG way.

Jun 04, 2013 at 01:42 PM Realistic Says:

KACH613 Says:

This happens to me all the time kiddush Friday night I just cant help myself.

So you atleast have שכל not speak in public.

Jun 04, 2013 at 01:53 PM Anonymous Says:

He couldnt believe he got this job. Makes the whole Kneset a joke.

Jun 04, 2013 at 02:21 PM haimon Says:

I get like that during the first seder on pesach

Jun 04, 2013 at 02:26 PM Grumpy Says:

You're all nuts. This is the greatest footage ... and while I could care less what the rest of the world thinks, I enjoyed seeing Jewish government leaders of all types and ideologies laughing all together instead of yelling at each other.

Jun 04, 2013 at 02:28 PM Adam_Neira Says:

Laughter is a good stress reliever. We all need to have a good laugh at times.

Jun 04, 2013 at 10:44 PM esther Says:

Grumpy Says:

grumpy you're exactly right and really not so grumpy after all.

Jun 05, 2013 at 01:51 PM BarryLS1 Says:

It is insane to attack the guy over being a human being. He was tired and overworked and something struck his funny bone. That deserve capital punishment, do you think?