New York - Weiner And Liu Sign On For "Food Stamp Challenge"

Published on: June 13, 2013 10:00 PM

New York - Democratic mayoral candidates Anthony Weiner and John Liu have signed on to participate in The Food Bank of New York City’s “Food Stamp Challenge” that will require the two to stick within a $31 grocery budget, or, an average of $1.48 per-meal, over the coming week.

NY1.com (http://bit.ly/141kkRW) reports that the “Food Stamp Challenge” is a campaign initiated by the Food Bank of New York City aimed at drawing attention to versions of the Farm Bill currently being considered by Congress, which call for millions to be cut from the food stamp program.

Those familiar with the bill say that its passage will disproportionately affect New York.

United Nations - The United Nations forecast Thursday that the world's population will increase from 7.2 billion today to 8.1 billion in 2025, with most growth in... Washington - The Supreme Court ruled Thursday that companies cannot patent parts of naturally-occurring human genes, a decision with the potential to profoundly affect...

Jun 13, 2013 at 10:36 PM yaakov doe Says:

Looking at them, it appears that it will be easier for Weiner.

Jun 13, 2013 at 10:50 PM freebie Says:

The program is a freebie. It was never meant to be the total source of money for food, it started as a help to make sure people spent some welfare money on food and raw food from American farms originally.
I am appalled at the amount the American Government spends on nosh and frum brands that are so expensive. How do people have no shame in using this benefit for junk and nosh, things I think long and hard before spending my money on.

Jun 13, 2013 at 11:11 PM metsfan123 Says:

who is checking to make sure they don't sneak food in the privacy of their house

Jun 14, 2013 at 12:44 AM Anonymous Says:

While they're at it, let them follow up the challenge with phase 2: the same budget, only on brand kosher meals.

Jun 14, 2013 at 12:51 AM Anonymous Says:

freebie Says:

Are you really appalled at people who buy frum brands with SNAP? Are you implying that one is required to drop personal/ religious standards just because it has become too difficult to afford food? Must the vegetarian forego the $5 salad just because it is also possible to get a cheap burger at the bodega's freezer section?

Jun 14, 2013 at 07:57 AM Anonymous Says:

The orinal program forbade foreign made food since it was a program to aid American farmers through increased sales of their products.

As a person on a fixed income I'm shocked at how careless shoppers using these benefits are. Often a larger size of an item is on sale at a better price than the smaller size, but since these shoppers didn't review the circular, they overpaid. And so many pay a premium of 20% or more by shopping at little neighborhood grocers. Frugal shopping could reduce the kosher consumers food bill by at least 25% with no compromise of kashrus.

Jun 14, 2013 at 08:06 AM Avi Says:

If someone else is paying for that burger... yes. Your right to choose the food you eat ends at my pocketbook,

Jun 14, 2013 at 08:53 AM apalled Says:

Anonymous said;
No, I am saying don't spend government taxpayer money on nosh. And specifically, frum nosh brands which seem to be overpriced. Most of us over 35 grew up with much less nosh.

Jun 14, 2013 at 09:18 AM Lollipop05 Says:

It is really nobody's business how people spend their food stamp money. The gov't gives these people a set amount of money per month. If you want to buy more expensive food (kosher, junk food...) go ahead! It just means that you will be getting less food for your money.

Do you all really care so much if these people end up with a little less food? It's not like the gov't is giving them more money to make up for it. Mind your own business!

Jun 14, 2013 at 11:57 AM Anonymous Says:

It was never meant as the sole source of your food. It's called supplemental for a reason. Plus, its a freebie that we are having trouble affording. The new healthcare law is costing us a ton, so therefore we have to cut somewhere...

Jun 14, 2013 at 12:11 PM Anonymous Says:

If they don't spend it wisely they dont get enough food. Then they complain they are "starving" but should we supplement their choices? It's laziness that stops them from shopping around, finding the best deal, comparing prices, coupons... Even with kosher products you can still eat well cheaply. I think we spend about 30 a week per family member besides yomim tovim, maybe a little more for shabbos. But I shop wisely.
I have a hard time watching people in line who use SNAP (or other welfare to pay for food...) who buy chips, soda, fancy meats and steak, and other things I could never afford...

Jun 14, 2013 at 03:43 PM Anonymous Says:

Lollipop05 Says:

Actually it is our business. The government doesn't "give" anything. The government redistributes my tax dollars to other people to buy food. The redistribution is designed to help the truly poor who might otherwise be malnourished, not to supplement their lifestyles or provide junk food which will require more of my tax dollars to pay for their future medical bills. If these people were using their own money to stock up on garbage I would be happy to mind my own business. But so long as they are using my money to buy this garbage, I should have input on how that money is spent. Sorry.

Jun 15, 2013 at 08:28 PM I_Am_Me Says:

Avi Says:

One thing one should never compromise on is religion (any of them) or in this case hechsher, no matter who's paying!

Jun 15, 2013 at 08:32 PM I_Am_Me Says:

apalled Says:

Anonymous said;

That's not what the first post seemed to be saying, on the revamped one (this one) you're right, no one needs junk food whether I pay for it or they themselves pay for it.

Jun 15, 2013 at 08:39 PM I_Am_Me Says:

Just a little FYI, no matter what you would be paying taxes & it would be going into someone else's pocket government officials (ie the rich guys) or a family of 12 (ie the poor guys)