Trenton - NJ Governor: Gay Marriage Ruling A 'Bad Decision'

Published on: June 27, 2013 12:15 PM
By: AP
New Jersey Governor Chris Christie departs after attending the funeral service of US actor James Gandolfini at the Cathedral of St. John the Divine in New York City, New York, USA, 27 June 2013. Gandolfini died of a heart attack while vacationing in Italy with his son 19 June 2013.  EPA/ANDREW GOMBERTNew Jersey Governor Chris Christie departs after attending the funeral service of US actor James Gandolfini at the Cathedral of St. John the Divine in New York City, New York, USA, 27 June 2013. Gandolfini died of a heart attack while vacationing in Italy with his son 19 June 2013.  EPA/ANDREW GOMBERT

Trenton - New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie says the U.S. Supreme Court’s ruling erasing part of a federal anti-gay marriage law was a “bad decision” and an example of “judicial supremacy.”

In January, the Republican governor and potential 2016 presidential candidate vetoed a New Jersey same-sex marriage bill. On a radio program Wednesday, he said he’d do the same to any new legislation.

If an “institution that’s over 2,000 years old” is to be changed, he says a referendum should be held.

The Supreme Court struck down a provision of a federal law denying federal benefits to married gay couples.

Christie calls it an “example of judicial supremacy rather than having a government run by the people we actually vote for.”

He also says, “I thought it was a bad decision.”

United Nations - The U.N. Security Council demanded a halt to all military activity by the Syrian government and opposition fighters on the Golan Heights Thursday and... Jerusalem - A prominent Israeli religious women's group has accused the kashrut department of the Chief Rabbinate of dragging its feet in recognizing female kashrut...

Jun 27, 2013 at 01:16 PM enlightened-yid Says:

When wing-nuts don't like SCOTUS decisions they call it "judicial-supremacy." Human rights and anti-discrimination of minority groups are not for a mob-vote in any civilized society. Christie minded politicians celebrated when few days before the Supreme Court devoured the Voting Rights Act that Congress passed in 1965 to protect minority groups from discrimination. I didn't hear him complain of "Judicial Supremacy" then. The only reason your "institution of marriage" was the same for 2,000 years is because religious zealots had control over civilizations, and intolerance was part of those societies. Anyone who didn't conform was buried alive or beheaded in the name of God. I don't understand the threat of gay marriage...are all straight men going to abandon their wives and children and marry men now? Live and Let Live....

Jun 27, 2013 at 01:40 PM FriendlyAtheist Says:

Oh Christie, you showed such promise, and now this.. Sigh...

Jun 27, 2013 at 02:33 PM Rachel W. Says:

Wow! Impressive! A man of principle. A rarity for a politician in this day and age.

Jun 27, 2013 at 04:02 PM RachelJD Says:

Rachel W. Says:

A man of principle, more like a man of prejudice. His personal prejudice have no role in government. Slavery was an institution. Would he be willing to say that it was up to the voting public whether blacks should have rights? Rights are rights, they should be subject to "referendums". Would you want your neighbors voting on what rights you get? The gay marriage decisions only address LEGAL issues. NO ONE IS GOING TO BE FORCED TO MARRY A GAY PERSON. No clergyman will be forced to conduct a religious ceremony for a gay couple. So chill out. Maybe Christie wants we should hold a referendum on whether ignorant fat prejudiced people should be able to marry. There already was a referendum. The people of NJ voted for the legislators who passed the bill which CHRISTIE vetoed making his religious prejudices into law.

Jun 27, 2013 at 04:39 PM Friendly theologian Says:

Christie doesn't sell himself. He stands up for what he believes in regardless of the liberal rhetoric.
A rarity these days.

Jun 27, 2013 at 05:13 PM Anonymous Says:

RachelJD Says:

" No clergyman will be forced to conduct a religious ceremony for a gay couple. So chill out." Oh really. If it becomes legal in all states if you say I won't provide services for them you'll get sued!! This is only the beginning.
So nice try.

Jun 27, 2013 at 06:12 PM Deveee Says:

Thank you governor Christie. I hope that you are president come January 2017.

Jun 27, 2013 at 06:13 PM rebbe123 Says:

enlightened-yid Says:

the religious zealots have control over civilization! otherwise you would of choose as your civil partner a dog! although reading your disgusting comment maybe a donkey would be more suitable for you

Jun 27, 2013 at 07:14 PM esther Says:

enlightened-yid Says:

it's not his institution,it's G-d's. my secular parents are far from religious zealots but to their generation,the thought of a man marrying a man is simply revolting.

Jun 27, 2013 at 07:17 PM Anonymous Says:

RachelJD Says:

A man of prejudice? For not buying the flavor de jour?
It is a shameless comparison - slavery with gay 'marriage' - that absolutely trivializes slavery.
Try to focus a bit and realize that you are comparing taking away someones liberty and independence, locking them up and torturing them, with not extending certain available government benefits to people with unnatural tendencies.
No one suggested locking gay people up, so quit the dramatics.
Good on the Governor for consistently not being afraid to hurt someone feelings and not continuously pandering to a single extreme as pretty much every other politician does nowadays (the Democrats DOMA, for instance).

Jun 27, 2013 at 07:17 PM esther Says:

RachelJD Says:

you're right,there shouldn't be referendum on this either because it's wrong.no matter who or how many say it's great,it will still be assur and one of the greatest foundations of western civilization will be further eroded.

Jun 27, 2013 at 09:06 PM rebbe123 Says:

well said

Jun 27, 2013 at 11:36 PM huvsa Says:

rebbe123 Says:

Except for one person, the majority here oppose this radical devolution of society on this and many other forums I've read or heard.

I suggest a national referendum. I bet it would LOSE.

I have to live here, people, and so do you. In the privacy of a voting booth I have faith that most people will say no.
Thank you Governor Christie for not being a sycophant.

As for "civil rights," what about my civil right not to have this revolution forced upon me and on my children and grandchildren.

G-d help us. This is the worst, and we must give a geshrai!

I often read that Muslims don't approve of homosexuality in the middle east, that they will hang gays at times. Now would be a good time for THEM to speak up, too.

Keep talking about how you don't want this. Civil unions, okay. Marriage, official marriage, no. Otherwise it's the majority having to bend to the will of a loud and well-off minority.

Jun 28, 2013 at 04:17 AM I_Am_Me Says:

RachelJD Says:

I got news for you this isn't your world, my world Christie's world, America's world, it's Gods world & He is against those kind of tendencies. Slavery on the other hand needed to be abolished for those reasons as well. In the Torah slaves are not to be brutally tortured & I'm not talking about Jewish slaves/servants who had special laws. Hashem tells us not even to sing when we see others in pain, but slavery was allowed to brutalize a whole nation, ripping children from parents & worse. What Christie spoke out against, on the other hand, was a reason Hashem destroyed a whole nation! Instead of standing up for them, we as Jews need to stand up for Hashem & say way to go Christie, right on, we're beind you on this one... Because being behind Christie on this issue is being behind Hashem on it.

I for one say way to go Christie, right on, I'm behind you! I liked him before, now I like him even more!

Jun 28, 2013 at 07:48 AM Anonymous Says:

Christie is like the bathroom shower. You can shut him off, you can turn him on, but really most of the time he drips.

Jun 28, 2013 at 08:11 AM Anonymous Says:

huvsa Says:

I suggest a national referendum. I bet it would LOSE.

Thank you Governor Christie for not being a sycophant.

G-d help us. This is the worst, and we must give a geshrai!

How stupid are you supporting hanging gay people?

I am as opposed to same-sex marriage as it is possible to get. But I don't want these people to die for it. I just want the same thing they want, to be left alone to live my life without interference from them. I don't expect them to pay for my matzos, for instance, on Pesach, just because that's an expense I am boligated to incur, and I don't want to count non-Jews into my minyan. I don't want to pay for their health care, because that's an expense they choose to incur and charge me for it. or to cheapen my marriage any more than polygamy or open marriages would do.

Jun 28, 2013 at 07:17 PM Anonymous Says:

your comments makes no sense whatsoever, and is obviously not nearly as clever as you think it is.