Dinwiddie, VA - Great Bull Run Holds First US Event, At Va. Track

Published on: August 24, 2013 09:25 PM
By: AP
Runners clear out in front of the bulls during The Great Bull Run event at the Virginia Motorsports Park in Dinwiddie, Va., on Saturday, Aug., 24, 2013. (AP Photo/Richmond Times-Dispatch, Joe Mahoney)Runners clear out in front of the bulls during The Great Bull Run event at the Virginia Motorsports Park in Dinwiddie, Va., on Saturday, Aug., 24, 2013. (AP Photo/Richmond Times-Dispatch, Joe Mahoney)

Dinwiddie, VA - A bull-running event inspired by the traditional Spanish spectacle is making its U.S. debut.

The Great Bull Run held its first of several events Saturday at a drag-racing strip in Virginia.

Organizers said about 12,000 attended the event, including spectators, and that one minor injury occurred on the final run.

The event is inspired by the annual running of the bulls in Pamplona, Spain. Some have criticized the treatment of bulls in the runs. Wayne Pacelle of the Humane Society of the United States says he’s attending the Virginia event to ensure there’s no mistreatment.

Organizers have said they’re partnering with ranches who supply the bulls and veterinarians to monitor their health.

Later events are planned for Texas, Florida, California, Minnesota, Illinois and Pennsylvania.

Santa Cruz, Bolivia - The death toll from a Bolivia prison battle has risen to 31 after an inmate died in a hospital. Police and medical officials say the latest... Syria - Three hospitals near Damascus reported 355 deaths after an alleged chemical attack last Wednesday out of around 3,600 admissions with nerve gas-type symptoms...

You can now automatically hide comments - New!

Don't worry, you can always display comments when you need to.

Aug 24, 2013 at 09:28 PM Voice-of-Reason Says:

I'm more worried about the mistreatment of humans by the bulls. Please tell me waivers were signed.

Aug 24, 2013 at 09:43 PM OyGevald Says:

PETA! Where is PETA?
This is humane?
Of course not.

Aug 24, 2013 at 10:29 PM Anonymous Says:

Voice-of-Reason Says:

and if they signed waivers it's ok? ! to allow people to participate in this mindless activity that has had numerous people die from in the past- for the sole purpose of "entertainment"- is criminal at best.

Aug 24, 2013 at 11:52 PM my4amos Says:

Aug 25, 2013 at 12:33 AM crybaby Says:

my4amos Says:

I've been to the one in Pamplona, and it is fun! Virginia is not far from me and if they had it on a Sunday or during Chol Hamoed, who knows, I might be tempted. Kids would love it! ??????????????????????????????
hello ever heard of uncle moshe

Aug 25, 2013 at 07:21 AM Aron1 Says:

my4amos Says:

2000 years ago, I bet there were parents who said the same thing about gladiator fights.

Aug 26, 2013 at 03:05 PM Anonymous Says:

Right or wrong, America is not a forgotten Nation. I thought that the idea of running bulls in Pamplona was because after the Spanish Inquisition, Spain is essentially forgotten to change.

Aug 26, 2013 at 03:20 PM my4amos Says:

crybaby Says:

hello ever heard of uncle moshe

Sure. That would be good too. But there is nothing wrong with some variety, is there?

Aug 26, 2013 at 03:21 PM my4amos Says:

Aron1 Says:

A silly comparison if ever I saw one. This event took place two day ago. Research and Report to me: how many men were killed or injured at it?