Warsaw, Poland - Torah Scroll Returned To Polish Synagogue After Seven Decades
Warsaw, Poland - A Torah scroll that was given to a monastery for safe keeping during WWII by a Polish synagogue has finally been returned after 70 years.
Kai.pl (http://bit.ly/19TcykB) reports that, according to Father Kazimierz Piotrwoski from the Redemptorist monastery in Warsaw, the scroll was originally transferred from a synagogue in Dabrowa Tarnowska in secrecy to the Redemptorist Tuchow monastery sometime in 1942 so that it would not fall into the hands of the Germans.
The representative of the synagogue requested that the monks look after it until such a time arose that the synagogue—-which fell into German hands and was turned into a workshop—-once again became a house of worship.
Due to only a small number of Jews remaining in the area post-war, the building suffered years of neglect until a restoration project, undertaken over the past few years, finally gave the building new life as Poland’s House of Cultures.
Upon hearing of the project, the Redemptorists decided it was time to return the scroll to its rightful owners, where it can now be viewed on display in the original prayer room in the newly resorted building.
More of today's headlines“Sacramento - Immigrants who are legally in the United States but not citizens would be allowed to serve on juries in California under a bill passed by the state...” Sacramento - Non-Citizens Could Serve On California Juries Under Bill Passed “Washington - Former President Bill Clinton and former Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton are headlining a fundraiser next month for the Clinton...” Wshington - Clintons Holding DC Fundraiser For Foundation