Brooklyn, NY - Orthodox Jew To Sell Truck Decorated By Banksy Graffiti Artist

Published on: October 28, 2013 08:55 AM
(Box truck belonging to I and A Merchandising in Sunset Park with Banksy graffiti (Stefano Giovannini )(Box truck belonging to I and A Merchandising in Sunset Park with Banksy graffiti (Stefano Giovannini )

Brooklyn, NY - Mysterious street artist Banksy, who has garnered a cult-like following over the years with his often satirical graffiti, picked a rather unusual target for one of his latest art projects, scrawling graffiti across the rear door of a truck owned by a Jewish businessman from Brooklyn.

The graffiti is part of a month long project by the elusive English artist, titled Better Out Than In, where Banksy has left his mark on a daily basis in some area of New York City.  While Banksy has decorated walls, created murals and even circulated a slaughterhouse delivery truck with the heads of toy stuffed animals peeking out its sides throughout the city for two weeks, his target this past Shabbos was a box truck belonging to I and A Merchandising in Sunset Park.

I and A’s owner, Israel, had no idea that his truck had been used as a giant canvas by Banksy until after Shabbos, as first reported by the Gothamist.

“After Shabbos I got a lot of phone calls,” Israel told VIN News.  “I googled Banksy and thought I would just leave the truck where it was until Monday, but a chasidishe guy called me and said ‘you better go move the truck before someone vandalizes it.’”

Israel took the proffered advice and moved his truck to an undisclosed location.

The red graffiti, described by the artist on his website as an “alternative New York bumper slogan”, covered the rear of Israel’s 2012 Chevy box truck and Israel hopes to be able to sell the truck’s rear door.

“I have an offer of $75,000, just for the door,” said Israel, who told VIN News that he intends to take the buyer up on his offer.

“I am going to sell it, because it is worth money and could pay off some debts,” explained Israel.

Madrid - A Spanish newspaper published a document Monday that it said shows the U.S. National Security Agency spied on more than 60 million phone calls in Spain in one... Boston - The Boston Red Sox and St. Louis Cardinals tie World Series at 2 games apiece. Each team led its league in runs, with solid starting pitching and a dominant...

Oct 28, 2013 at 09:09 AM Anonymous Says:

May we have many more such idiots who are ready to part with their money.

Oct 28, 2013 at 09:11 AM REALIST Says:

Bansky can paint my car anytime he wishes!

Oct 28, 2013 at 09:16 AM Aron1 Says:

I'm trying to come up with a negative spin on this. No luck yet. Gotta work harder on this.

Oct 28, 2013 at 09:35 AM yaakov doe Says:

If someone is foolish enough to offer $75,000 for the truck door he should immediatly accept it. He should then report the vandalism and see that this "artist" is punished.

Oct 28, 2013 at 09:37 AM Mark Levin Says:

I hope they catch the "artist"and hang him.

Oct 28, 2013 at 09:42 AM crybaby Says:

Hey Bansky can you paint my front door I need to pay off some mosdos scarlimud in FULL

Oct 28, 2013 at 09:46 AM Anonymous Says:

Mark Levin Says:

I hope they catch the "artist"and hang him.

Hang him? How lucky we are that your only proffesion is posting on VIN

Oct 28, 2013 at 09:50 AM Anonymous Says:

i am thinking about putting graffiti on my truck and just saying its this idiot bansky and then we will see if i can get any morons to buy it

Oct 28, 2013 at 09:54 AM Tothepoint123 Says:

I am very happy for izzy. He is a special person!
A warm heart, and big BAL TZEDUKAH.

Oct 28, 2013 at 10:21 AM Aron1 Says:

Mark Levin Says:

I hope they catch the "artist"and hang him.

"Mark Levin" says to "hang him". Okay, so instead of our usual negative comments, we'll just have to settle for stupidity.

Oct 28, 2013 at 11:01 AM Anonymous Says:

@ 1, 5, 7 and 8

He is talking about people like you!

Oct 28, 2013 at 11:16 AM aleph Says:

I'd suggest he wait a little. The price for his "artwork" is still on the rise.

Oct 28, 2013 at 12:05 PM Anonymous Says:

@ 1, 5, 7 and 8

He is talking about people like you!

Oct 28, 2013 at 12:31 PM Anonymous Says:

Aron1 Says:

At one time, whoever posted as "Mark Levin" (previously known as "Milhouse") offered a rational, albeit very conservative perspective on the stories we read here on VIN and did so with a wry sense of humor and cutting sarcasm. What we have now are childish, hateful schoolyard type rants more typical of his namesake during the evening drive time on radio.

Oct 28, 2013 at 12:55 PM Skepticalguy Says:

he could probably get a lot more then 75k on the open market
works by banksy have sold for over half a millions dollars in the past

Oct 28, 2013 at 01:03 PM surprised Says:

I'm a bit surprised that VIN did not blur the A word, and also surprised that no one called VIN on this... every time we expose ourselves to vulgarity, we soil our neshamos a bit... I say this as someone who grew up in a very modern society wherein "everything goes" (okay, here come the wisecracks and personal attacks)

Oct 28, 2013 at 01:18 PM Shmuel-Itshaki Says:

Cant anyone find him and persecute him for vandalism?

Oct 28, 2013 at 02:20 PM Anonymous Says:

Aron1 Says:

stupidity is not a defense for advocating murder.

Oct 28, 2013 at 04:24 PM Aron1 Says:

surprised Says:

Thanks for pointing it out!

Oct 28, 2013 at 04:29 PM DOVE1 Says:

Izzy now you can shred my bill

Oct 28, 2013 at 05:42 PM Sha1om Says:

Shmuel-Itshaki Says:

Cant anyone find him and persecute him for vandalism?

Law enforcement in England, where he's based, have been trying to find and prosecute this vandal (who calls himself an artist) for a decade now. Unfortunately they don't seem to be able to find him. I don't see why they don't just subpoena his agent, who does have a known address.

Oct 28, 2013 at 07:38 PM Anonymous Says:

My neighbor sold his cheap car for 25 thousand as it was known the worlds most offensive car because of the tons of stickers he had on its back trunk. The gothamist carried pictures of his car. Its amazing what doing outrageous things is worth in our society. You can even google most offensive car and see all the feedback.

Oct 28, 2013 at 08:03 PM Rachel W. Says:

Sha1om Says:

C'mon now, Shalom. This guy is one heck of a talented artist. I'll bet even law enforcement officials are enamored of his work and don't try to hard to catch him in order to prolong the wonderful surprises he has in store for weary New Yorkers. Forget the scribble on this truck - did you see his other amazing works of art round town? He is an absolute genius at his trade. Check out today's 'Banksy graffiti' in Coney Island; his rendition of a suitor-in-waiting on the rolled down gates of a club in Hell's Kitchen (Oct 24) is simply breathtaking, as are his works in the South Bronx of the 21st, the Upper West Side of the 20th, Williamsburg the 17th, Tribeca the 15th; Queens the 14th and Brooklyn the 7th of this month. There are more but these are my favorites. He is welcome to come to my part of town anytime.

Oct 28, 2013 at 08:53 PM c Says:

@17, Do you want him "persecuted" or "prosecuted"?

@ 17&21;, How is it vandalism, if he is making the property worth considerably more?

Oct 28, 2013 at 10:43 PM stefpix Says:

Usually the buildings that he paints increase value. The owner of a building in Williamsburg installed a gate to protect the Banksy piece from vandalism. His work promote peace and understanding and are witty. If we are grumpy people will treat us less nicely. It could be seen like as a universal truth. Anyway his art in NYC did not cost the taxpayers a dime and it looks way better than costly city funded public art like The Gates in Central Park or the East River Waterfall that Bloomberg was so proud of. Israel had some debt to pay and maybe some of his prayers have been answered. And whoever buys his truck backdoor will be a happy person. Win win situation. Luckily Izzy did not spend some money on white paint....

Oct 29, 2013 at 02:58 AM Greener Says:

surprised Says:

I really don't understand. Are you saying that you don't have an "A"? Wow, you could make a lot of money showing this deviation to the public.

Oct 29, 2013 at 03:01 AM I_Am_Me Says:

REALIST Says:

Bansky can paint my car anytime he wishes!

Hey I'll even throw in the material!

Oct 29, 2013 at 03:07 AM I_Am_Me Says:

surprised Says:

Just be happy for the guy!