Brooklyn, NY - Jewish Press Apologizes For Offensive Op-Ed On Website, Fires Writer

Published on: March 10, 2014 07:22 PM
Facebook page from Yori Yanover shows the headline link titled '50 Thousand Haredim March So Only Other Jews Die in War' that he posted on the Jewish press, The article has since been removed from the online Jewish press, and the JP has fired YoriFacebook page from Yori Yanover shows the headline link titled ‘50 Thousand Haredim March So Only Other Jews Die in War’ that he posted on the Jewish press, The article has since been removed from the online Jewish press, and the JP has fired Yori

Brooklyn, NY - Hours after appearing on the Jewish Press website, an article about yesterday’s Atzeres Tefilla that was deemed to be both derogatory and inflammatory has been pulled and its author, a long time employee of the site, has been fired.

The article in question, written by Yori Yanover, was titled “50 Thousand Haredim March So Only Other Jews Die in War.”  A caption under the article read “They flooded downtown Manhattan with the anti-draft for Haredim message:  everybody else is welcome to get themselves killed.”

The management of The Jewish Press had strong words regarding Yanover and the op-ed piece in question.

“We do not, in any way, condone the reprehensible and insolent views expressed, without our permission, by the author in Israel of that article,” Jewish Press general manager and managing editor Jerry Greenwald told VIN News.  “We have thus taken the strongest possible course of corrective action open to us pursuant to this incident. Since its founding, The Jewish Press has striven to be a Torah newspaper, one that recognized the centrality of the Torah and Torah study to the Jewish people.”

Greenwald noted that Yanover’s writings often raised eyebrows.

“He has always been controversial but this showed that he has no understanding of what is right,” said Greenwald.

An official apology sent out by The Jewish Press website, called Yanover’s headline “incendiary and insulting” and informed readers that the article was posted without official authorization of The Jewish Press newspaper.
“The sentiments expressed in the article and headline do not represent those of The Jewish Press, its officers, editors, and staff.  The article was deleted from the website as soon as it was brought to the attention of the publishers and editors of the newspaper.”
Unlike the newspaper that bears the same name, The Jewish Press website is published out of Israel and has its own staff of contributors.
“They are supposed to follow our hashkafa to some degree in order to use the Jewish Press name and we do watch it to some degree,” explained Greenwald.  “This article was beyond the pale and we contacted them immediately to tell them it was not acceptable.”

According to Naomi Mauer, associate publisher of The Jewish Press, Yanover has been with the Jewish Press site since it was revamped approximately three years ago.

“He has different opinions, in general, but they haven’t been anything like this,” said Mrs. Mauer.  “Sometimes the tone might have been different than I might have used but he had a following and for the most part, the comments were almost always positive.”

Chatham-Kent, Ontario - Lev Tahor children recently returned from Trinidad and Tobago and put in custody today of Chatham-Kent Children`s Services are on a hunger... Miami FL - A group of passengers suing Carnival cruise lines for damages after an engine fire left their ship adrift for days are asking the company to pay $5,000 a...

Mar 10, 2014 at 07:31 PM hmmmm Says:

Kol hakovod to the Jewish press!

Mar 10, 2014 at 07:33 PM Anonymous Says:

So they fired the messenger .

Mar 10, 2014 at 07:45 PM proud charedi Says:

Is he not right??? Not sure what part of what he said was a lie

Mar 10, 2014 at 07:53 PM ExpatriateOwl Says:

Yanover's take is EXACTLY the way I read the message sent by yesterday’s Atzeres Tefilla gathering!

Mar 10, 2014 at 07:55 PM ayoyo Says:

Klal godol ba torah ve'ahavta le reacha k'mocha.Why should this one be killed and this one should sit and learn torah?

Mar 10, 2014 at 08:09 PM Anonymous Says:

Epes he makes a good point. Isn't the whole idea of OP ED, to give an opposing view of the newspaper editors? The Jewish Press should not have fired or apologized for him. Anothet blow for free speech in the yeshiva world.

Mar 10, 2014 at 08:18 PM Brian Says:

Although the chareidim's stance is more nuanced than the way the author presented it, I certainly see his headline as controversial, but not incitement. He is relaying his opinion sharply as he sees it. He may be an anti semite (re: Chareidim...) and if this article is article is just the tip of the iceberg, then I understand. However, if the firing was over this article alone, I'm truly astounded. And I'm Chareidi myself, BTW.

Mar 10, 2014 at 08:24 PM Nebech Says:

hmmmm Says:

Kol hakovod to the Jewish press!

They say they fired this guy and you say Kol hakavod. Me, personally, I am anti Zionist. But I would never fire a person for having a different opinion.

The Jewish Press claims this is to defend hashkafa but Moshe at Sinai Gave us real haskafa. A hashkafa in Gemilas chesed that we inherited from our forefathers. The Jewish press FAILED to keep this hashkafa.

Mar 10, 2014 at 08:25 PM Secular Says:

...And so begins the (not so) quiet censorship.

Mar 10, 2014 at 08:08 PM Anonymous Says:

It must have been hard to read the truth.............50 Thousand Haredim March So Only Other Jews Die in War. There are many Israeli men that are serving in the IDF that would prefer to learn Torah. Someone has to protect the Jewish state.

Mar 10, 2014 at 08:31 PM shomer Says:

ayoyo Says:

you are dead right, they should both be sitting and learning, hinei loi yonum v'loi yishan shomer yisroel, im h' loi yishmor i'r shov shokad shomer,

Mar 10, 2014 at 08:46 PM ayinglefunadorf Says:

Can someone explaint to me what is going on. I do understand the Satmar: No State of Israel, No Army,therefore Yeshivah students stay home. I also understand the Mizrachi. The State of Israel (Resit Geulosenu) The Jewish State The Best Army in the World: Every citizen should participate. I Dont get the Agudah,Sfardim,Lakewood and the rest in the middle. Is there a Jewish State or not. If yes: Defend it serve in the army. If not: Why are you running in elections in a State it doesnt exist and you dont want to defend?

Mar 10, 2014 at 08:51 PM hashomer Says:

And why won't they do civil public service if not the army? Holier than thou? Take, take, take, but never give.

Mar 10, 2014 at 08:56 PM berelw Says:

dont understand the big deal of yori yanovers words....its the truth!!!...in my opinion every yeshivah bochor should thank those that go the army so they can learn torah..someone needs to defend them..

Mar 10, 2014 at 09:09 PM Sol Says:

Oy Lonu L'yoim Hadin, when we will have to give Din V'cheshbon, how dare we shielded our families from the dangers of the battlefield, and thereby causing other Yidden to carry the brunt of the responsibility of protecting the Jewish People. There are mothers that have to send multiple children to war because we use politics to wiggle ourselves out of the Achrayus.
To HKB"H, the Yiddishe boys traveling to the front, are just as precious as the Rebbehs with the wide brown mink fur, on their shoulders and sleeves.

Mar 10, 2014 at 09:10 PM Secular Says:

Nebech Says:

You are a malcontent!

You will back someone whose position you loathe under the guise of free expression and difference of opinion. When in fact you are using it as ammunition to trash Yanover's opinion, Zionism, and the Jewish Press.

Mar 10, 2014 at 09:39 PM hmmmm Says:

Nebech Says:

You might be right. That they shouldn't have fired him because of gemilas Chesed. But I see it as the post writing that disgusting headline about menachem stark.

Mar 10, 2014 at 09:42 PM Nebech Says:

Secular Says:

You are a malcontent!

Clearly, You have no idea what I was taking about. The point of my comment was to show. That even anti zionists should not approve of firing this person.

My comment was bashing the Jewish press and anyone else with wrong priorities. I don't bash zionists as their are many zionists that I respect who are great people (even though I accept a different view than them).

Sorry for your misunderstanding.

Mar 10, 2014 at 09:44 PM NACHMAN Says:

Sol Says:

I Believe The Lubavitcher Rebbe Compared this to Dovid Hamalech and Yoav Ben Tzruya Dovi Hamelech Learnt and bezchuso Yoav was victorious. You need both Anshai Chail and TalmidaiChachomim that sit and learn.

Mar 10, 2014 at 10:11 PM Reb Yid Says:

So have your own march in favor of drafting yeshivaleit. And see how many people show up.

Mar 10, 2014 at 10:52 PM Deveee Says:

Kudos to them.

Mar 10, 2014 at 10:57 PM Anonymous Says:

hashomer Says:

Uh uh! That is the point exactly! If these boy chuckles were given the alternative to work in a nursing home, an orphanage, a food pantry, and could go home and sleep in their own beds at night, their RABBONIM WOULD STILL SAY NO!

Mar 10, 2014 at 11:01 PM sighber Says:

What if it would have been a secular publication and a religious Jew would have printed something that the secular do not approve of-such as a secular newspaper having a writer say that yeshiva men should not be drafted-and the religious Jew was fired over it, don't you think the religious Jews would be storming about the paper and calling for people to boycott it?

Mar 10, 2014 at 11:10 PM aaron Says:

troll much? lol

Mar 10, 2014 at 11:31 PM Anonymous Says:

I saw many non-black-hats at this protest and they were certainly not shnorers. Professionals, doctors, lawyers. Don't insult people you don't agree with if you want that respect from them.

Mar 10, 2014 at 11:38 PM MarkTwain2 Says:

It's a shame that people of the Charedi community have to live in fear of expressing an opinion or simply questioning the party line.

Mar 11, 2014 at 12:48 AM Anonymous Says:

hmmmm Says:

Kol hakovod to the Jewish press!

seriously?you obviously don't understand the meaning of "kovod"!

Mar 11, 2014 at 01:06 AM Sholi-Katz Says:

Sorry to see the Jewish Press shaking in their boots. They are frightened and scared to have anything written against the protest. Are they afraid of frum Mafia tactics. I thought more of the Jewish Press which I buy it every week. The headline is a bit over the top, but where is he wrong to fire him..

Mar 11, 2014 at 01:31 AM lazerx Says:

what happened to freedom of speech? He said his opinion. I have mine. But to fire him?

Mar 11, 2014 at 01:33 AM Twitterevitch Says:

Living in some kehillas puts limits on speech mamish like the Soviet Union in the days of Stalin. One of the greatest points about the good ol' U.S.A. is that people can speak their minds without fear of (GOVT) reprisal ... and the same should hold true for other ‘power’ structures. If they don't reinstate this guy, I personally will boycott any store that carries the Jewish Press, and I encourage others to do the same.

Mar 11, 2014 at 01:44 AM Anonymous Says:

ayinglefunadorf Says:

Excellent questions. Why are they interfering in MY city (Beit Shemesh) when they live in Brooklyn & Baltimore?

As for this Yanover - the headline & some of the rhetoric are incendiary & reprehensible. It's all in the wording - he could have said the same thing without being so obviously inflammatory and biased. I don't think the JP had any other recourse if they want to project a certain image; having said that, I don't believe the JP believes Yanover was wrong. Although they purport to be Torah-based, their first allegiance is to Israel. Nothing wrong with that, on the contrary, but I find their general publication to have moved to the left in recent years. I stopped buying it, it was getting on my nerves.

Firing him was wrong. He should have been given the chance to apologize and amend his wording, & kept under supervision. But then again, maybe he was offered that option & the hothead refused. If so, the JP had no choice. We really don't know what happened.

FTR, I agree with his basic opinion, but not the hateful and derogatory way he expressed himself. You kill more bees with honey than with vinegar.

Mar 11, 2014 at 01:46 AM Anonymous Says:

So many people missed the point here.

The article was written in a disgusting manner, regardless of the viewpoint therein.
It is beyond the pale to accuse chareidim of "wanting others to die" when those same chareidim never wanted the State to begin with because the gedolim knew it would be a disaster and never-ending war and tried to stop the Zionists.

But the whole purpose of Zionism is shmad and to want to be like the goyim and they idolize warriors. It's in all the Zionist propaganda.

The IDF, itself, doesn't want the Chareidim. Our gedolim have forbade joining the IDF, then and now. The Zionists, who are shmad incarnate, insist on this because they want to change Chareidim into Israeli "goyim".

That's all there is to it, and that's why Jews worldwide have davened to Hashem to save His children in E"Y from Zionist shmad.

Mar 11, 2014 at 04:17 AM yonasonw Says:

ayinglefunadorf Says:

Precisely - Chareidim want it both ways...the State should subsidize them...but they owe nothing to the State. I see it a little more than me-first-to-heck-with-anyone-else.

Mar 11, 2014 at 04:34 AM The armchair generals talking. Says:

You're a bunch of big talkers!
Living in America and telling the Jews in the Holy Land who should go to the army and how they should serve the Jewish nation. Get off your butts and come here, then we'll talk.
Has one if you heroes sent your son to the US Army? Is it fair that only the lower class, mostly black and Hispanics should die in war. Send your pampered Jewish sons to Iraq and Afghanistan - come on- their blood isn't redder than anyone else's!!!

And number 8, you're reasoning is warped: you wouldn't fire someone for having a different opinion than you, but you'd put thousands of Haredim in jail for having different opinions than you. Way to be consistent

Mar 11, 2014 at 07:49 AM Nebech Says:

The armchair generals talking. Says:

You're a bunch of big talkers!

I have 0 idea as to what your talking about. Pardon me. But I don't see any correlation between politics at the Jewish Press and throwing chareidim in prison.

But I answer you this. If the United States wanted to draft my kids or stop me from being religious. I would pack my bags and go elsewhere. We have a choice where we live. So don't complain.

If you like your country, live with its flaws. If you don't, pack!

Mar 11, 2014 at 07:56 AM curious? Says:

this is strange. A journalist who was hired for his opposing views gets fired for doing his job.

Mar 11, 2014 at 08:31 AM Anonymous Says:

NACHMAN Says:

He doesn't speak for everybody.

Mar 11, 2014 at 08:41 AM alterknaker Says:

Twitterevitch Says:

huh! those were the days, and they're long gone my dear.

Mar 11, 2014 at 09:00 AM ParisParamus Says:

Please explain to me how, categorically, not helping to defend your country is not immoral cowardice. This is simply where the bizarre dysfunctionalality of ultra-orthodoxy shows itself. It's not like the Torah is pacifist. Disgraceful, immoral and embarrassing.

Mar 11, 2014 at 09:04 AM OPElly Says:

Actually, "op ed" means "opposite (i.e., across from or facing) the editorial page." The term has nothing to do with the opinions there, which may agree or disagree with the publication's official stance. It just indicates their location.

Mar 11, 2014 at 09:33 AM Israeli & proud to be there Says:

From #35 You're a bunch of big talkers!

EXACTLY. Americans go crazy when there are demonstrations in other countries against their internal policies. What's good for the goose is good for the gander. MIND YOUR OWN BUSINESS & if you want the right to complain about Israel, move here. Until then, keep quiet.

Mar 11, 2014 at 09:46 AM rivka Says:

I don't think that the Jewish Press moved to the left, I think that the Jewish world moved to the Right and therefore perceives their Zionist views as more to the left.

Mar 11, 2014 at 09:56 AM Ari N. Says:

proud charedi Says:

Is he not right??? Not sure what part of what he said was a lie

He's very right...

Lapid has manged to divide klal yisroel in such a divisive manner that these headlines crop up...!

Sure he's right...!

Mar 11, 2014 at 10:36 AM BarryLS1 Says:

The Jewish Press' decision was based on business and politics, not right and wrong. I can understand Yanover's frustration and why he wrote what he did, though he could have said it better, it was the truth.

Prior to making Aliyah, the community I felt closest and related to was the Chareidi community. I'm told I'm considered Chardal. I believe the State, with all it's flaws in Min HaShomayim and will lead to the end of Golus. Since making Aliya, I've been so disillusioned with Chareidi leadership. The people are mostly wonderful sincere Torah Jews, who live exemplary lives. The leadership has often made me sick to my stomach. Growing up in the U.S., I never heard such defamatory statements made by Rabbonim. Calling other Frum Jews Goyim, threatening to expel people from Kollel if they don't vote the right way, etc. Then there is the political leadership, claiming to follow instructions of the Gedolim. They prove that this isn't really about Torah learning, since they threaten to destroy the Hesder program, where people are sincerely learning and going into the IDF, also threaten to destroy so-called Settlements, forcing Jews out of their homes again. Hashem Yerachaim.

Mar 11, 2014 at 11:09 AM Anonymous Says:

there was nothing wrong with what yanover said or wrote. He had nothing to apologize for.

the paper has no problem with a headline reading "butcher" when an accused murderer is arrested, so long as the victim is frum. Same as yelling about the Stark murder when in fact he brought it on himself.

See how many papers sell when the headline is simply "Yanover disagrees with protest".

the Jewish press is incredibly hypocritical basing their criticism not for those who are wrong, but for those who don't wear the levush they would like to appeal to. Case in point, SMR.

And Your ignorance is obvious from your last quote, "You kill more bees with honey than with vinegar. ” not only is that quote completely incorrect, but it makes no sense whatsoever.

Mar 11, 2014 at 02:06 PM baruchgold Says:

The anti-zionist wing of the chareidim are isolating themselves from mainstream Judaism. Do you really think a paradigm in which a certain population has to work and serve in the army while other doesn't, is sustainable. And on top of that they hate the secular Jews. If I lived in Israel that would make my blood boil. They are also renowned when it comes to picking and choosing.

Mar 11, 2014 at 02:52 PM Shemp Says:

All this infighting among the frum, , frum against Zionism, Jews against Arabs Rebbes against Rebbes, Likud members against Likud members, all have one thing in common. The creation of this "state" without approval of the gedolim.

Mar 11, 2014 at 05:34 PM Anonymous Says:

For those of you who are complaining about the Jewish Press newspaper, this article stated clearly it has nothing to do with the website. While it's a bit misleading to have the same name, you really should pay attention before you share with us your valuable opinions slamming s/o who has nothing to do w/ this. Really, it's pretty lame to complain when you don't read the whole thing.

Mar 11, 2014 at 06:47 PM The armchair generals talking. Says:

You're a bunch of big talkers!

Mar 11, 2014 at 06:52 PM Nebach, you are wrong Says:

The chareidi Jews in Israel cannot just pick up and move- they're stuck there.
Which country is taking them in?