New York - A Kiddush Hashem? A Chilul Hashem! Lipa In Flammatory Interview: "My Mistake To Cancel BIGEVENT Concert"

Published on: June 6, 2008 02:33 PM

New York City - Lipa Schmeltzer in a combative interview with Menachem Toker.  Declares: “If I knew the truth, the Big Event would not have been cancelled.  Decision: “I’ll perform at any event that three rabbonim allow.”

“There are activists who hide the truth from the rabbonim, which leads to a chilul Hashem,” says towering Chasidic singer Lipa Schmeltzer in a unique interview with radio personality Menachem Toker, referring to his major American concert that was canceled at the last minute after pressure from rabbonim and activists.

Schmeltzer clarifies in the interview, which marked the debut of “Yehudi Pashut,” his new album, that he doesn’t regret the concert’s cancellation or the financial loss that came in its wake.  “I made a Kiddush Hashem and I don’t regret it.  But if I had known the truth about how things were presented to the gedolei hatorah, I would not have cancelled the concert.”

Schmeltzer claims he has come to understand how activists work after speaking with several leading rabbonim.  “Many gedolei hatorah have told me that people came to them with false information regarding my concert: they said it would have mixed dancing or mixed seating.  But they weren’t satisfied with that—they brought photos of women dancing so as to ‘prove’ that that’s what would happen.”

He sits pensively for a moment, and then throws another flame: “There are many people who have a problem with concerts with guitars in them.  You understand this?  Guitars.  The music of Ger, Boyan, Belz—all their albums have guitars.  What do they want?  This is this generation’s problem?!  Guitars?!”

But Schmeltzer also has a solution: “I’ll continue performing all over the world.  Any place at all.  Any time I consult with three rabbonim and they let me, I’ll do it.  It doesn’t matter who the rabbonim would be.”

In the course of the interview, Toker lists several of Schmeltzer’s visits to rabbonim.

The full replay of the interview will be broadcast  this Motzi Shabos in Israel, and will be posted on VIN News soon.

Menecham Toker told VIN News that Lipa was quite upset in the interview, and had some rage anger against many of the activist.

New York, NY - New Yorkers are getting milked at supermarkets, bodegas and other grocery stores, the City Council said. A Council-commissioned survey of milk prices... Borough Park, NY - The Department of Transportation has announced that they listened to the concerns of the community and will be installing a traffic light at the...

Jun 06, 2008 at 02:40 PM Anonymous Says:

I guess this will bring all of those who rant and rave out of the woodwork!

Jun 06, 2008 at 02:44 PM Anonymous Says:

klall yisroel cannot and should not be (mis)led by some hitzige kepp, who wake up angry and go to sleep angry, and in between try to make everyone else also angry.

Jun 06, 2008 at 03:00 PM Anonymous Says:

Witch was what?

Jun 06, 2008 at 03:05 PM Anonymous Says:

will the "other" website publish this story!!??

Jun 06, 2008 at 03:06 PM Anonymous Says:

usher freidman is the whole cause he thinks he could make the world better he lied to rabbonim and after all this it just made lipa bigger then ever. go lipa go your the man you make peaple besimcha kol hakavod

Jun 06, 2008 at 03:07 PM Anonymous Says:

UNFURTUNEALY, THERE ARE LOTS OF TROUBLE MAKERS IN THE NAME OF FRUM.
THESE FALSE FRUM CAUSING LOTS OF PROBLEMS, WHEN THERE IS A REAL PROBLEM PEOPLE DON'T LITSEN EVEN TO THE RABBUNIM. BECAUSE THEY BECOME A JOKE

Jun 06, 2008 at 03:08 PM mark m appel Says:

lipa we love you mark mayer appel

Jun 06, 2008 at 03:13 PM flipper Says:

Lipa,

Keep making yidden b'simcha. Ignore the haters.

Jun 06, 2008 at 03:16 PM Anonymous Says:

SO THATS THE REASON THOSE FALSE FRUM R'SHUIM
HAVE TO USE ALL KIND OF LIES.
SORRY TO TELL YOU YOU SOUND PRETTY DUMB

Jun 06, 2008 at 03:20 PM Anonymous Says:

IF LIPA DOES SOMETHING WRONG, THERE IA TORAH WHO TELLS US EXECATLY HOW TO HANDLE, HOCHICH TOCHACH ES AMISECHO, VLO CISO OLUV CHITH, BUT NOT IN PUBLIC WITH SHKURIM

Jun 06, 2008 at 03:25 PM Anonymous Says:

I think Lipa is right in that it was the right thing to do at the time when faced with a Kol Korah Psak from the Rabbonim to cancel his concert. But now that we know how underhandedly this all came about and how haphazardly it was handled he is perfectly entitled to rely on 3 Rabbonim that pre-screen his stuff and give their approval.
Of course those people that their Rav paskens for them not to attend these events should listen.I doubt that he'll loose too many customers.
I personally don't like his shtick and think that it has too much of a goyishe taam (tenuos, stobe light etc.)and lacks the tzinyus that one should strive for.
But there are all kinds of yidden out there and
I don't think this crosses the line to the point of making a blanket issur that it is not kosher.
Besides it is (I think) a thing which falls into the catagory of "ain rov hatzibur yocholim laamod bo" and will result in the hamon am (yes even bnei torah) being oiver the takana and loosing respect for the gedolim & future Kol Korahs.
Halevai this would be the biggest problem facing Klall Yisroel. Let's try to take care of the real big stuff alot of which has been swept under the carpet and hushed up.

Jun 06, 2008 at 03:37 PM concerned parent Says:

Jun 06, 2008 at 03:38 PM Tina Says:

I actually feel vindicated on this one - Kind of felt like lipa was acting like a chusid shota - Final nail in the coffin for the asskonim

Jun 06, 2008 at 03:42 PM Anonymous Says:

Please post comments. there is word that the concert that was supposed to take place last year will take place next year. unfortunately the word daas torah became a fashion statement because so many idiots run around screaming daas torah in every argument.

Jun 06, 2008 at 04:00 PM Melon Says:

We NEED Lipa concerts! Where else will I get kosher Dvds for my kids???

Jun 06, 2008 at 04:14 PM Anonymous Says:

With all due respect, Lipa in not saying the truth. Lipa did, in fact, know of the lies that were told to the Rabbonim BEFORE he pulled out of the concert.

Jun 06, 2008 at 04:16 PM Anonymous Says:

Anon 3:16 "FALSE FRUM R'SHUIM "
These Ayatolahs that are hoodwinking the Gedolim into signing these Kol korahs are very sneaky
and will use whatever clever tactics to achieve their goals.
I would not call them chas v'sholom "R'SHUIM" I really believe that they mean l'shem shomayim & would like to see a Klall Yisroel at a superior level of Kedusha. However it is the tafkid of the Gedolim to act with responsibility and not be led around by these zealots just because they are nudgeing and also they need to verify these claims of the Ayatolahs that are often (false or) blown out of all proportion etc.
I'm not saying it's easy to shake them off
they come with these taynos how can you not support a Kol Koreh that calls for frumkeit and kedusha ? (it's like l'havdil being against motherhood and apple pie)
The Gedolim need to be shtark and just say I will NOT sign ANYTHING until I consult with many other Rabbonim of the highest stature and we decide that this issue is true and warrants a Kol Korah PERIOD - If they don't get that first signature they will be finished.

Jun 06, 2008 at 04:19 PM meshuggeners Says:

# concerned parent Says:
comments - arrow I agree with anonymous's comment about "role model" and "chasidisha levish". I saw Lipa in the street a day or two after he canceled the "Big Event". He wore a white shirt, Tzitzis hanging out and "BROWN LIZARD GOLD METAL TIPED COWBOY BOOTS (OR SHOES). He looked (to put it lightly) not normal. I have bucharim at home and I filter what music I allow in my home and beleive me, I am no fire breathing extremist. My children B"H appreciate this and trust my opinion. They enjoy many Jewish mosic artist, chasidishe and non chasidishe but I do not let his music into my home and they B"h agree with me. There is alot to comment about this very hard subject but at a later date. Gut Shabbos.

Why would his choice of footwear lead you to pass a judgment of not normal on Lipa and how does that make his music unacceptable? You must feel like such a great Tzaddik. I hope that you are as machmir on things that the Shulchan Aruch says than this kind of nonsense. If you think that banning Lipa in your house will make your bachurim more toiradig you will be in for a great surprise. You are an extremist who does not even realize that he is one.

Jun 06, 2008 at 04:27 PM anonymous Says:

The problem is that it's convenient for Lipa to say this NOW pre cd release. But he and most of us as well, knew way back when it happened these activists were lying. Why didn't he say THIS back then, when we all knew, including him, that they were lying to the gedolom??

Jun 06, 2008 at 04:27 PM Anonymous Says:

Someone told me Skver chassidim all wear boots like that.

Jun 06, 2008 at 04:28 PM Melon Says:

----------------
He's a little crazy, it's obvious. So what???

We all have a "crazy" side to our-selfs and we'd be much healthier if we were allowed to express it.

The tension in the street, in your typical supermarket in bp is thru the roof, we all need lossen up a bit.

Jun 06, 2008 at 04:34 PM Anonymous Says:

LIPA Keep going! We love your music and your energy!
Keep Strong!!!

Jun 06, 2008 at 04:37 PM Anonymous Says:

Jewish Taliban

What's wrong with cowboy boots - he is less kosher because of them - oy the world will end if he wore something other than a white shirt?
Until just a few years ago NO ONE wore tzitzis out except in Yerushalayim
Let's all get real please

Jun 06, 2008 at 04:47 PM Anonymous Says:

There is a Rosh Hayeshiva that is yelling" FRUMKIET IS KRUMKIET"..HE IS SO RIGHT. We have become frumer then the Ribono shel Olam. The Luantics namely the ASSkonim are taking over the world in the name of the Rebbes and Roshei Hayeshiva, most of which have NO IDEA what is happenning. We have Rebbes & Roshie Hayeshiva that are not worried about the problems that we're experiencing in Klall Yisroel,Child abuse,Wife abuse,etc and are busy with Sheitle Pictures,Hasgochas on Sheitlach,etc. And lets not forget those who are busy with money laundering, lunch program fraud, illegal goverment programs, not to mention the everyday whilte collar crimes.

The reason the Gedollim don't say anything is BECAUSE WE HAVE NO GEDOLLIM. 2 Satmerer rebbes, 2 Bobover Rebbes, 2 Klausenberger Rebbes, assorted Viznetzer and Bostoner Rebbes, Throw in the Novominsker and Klall Yisroel is in deep trouble.

A gutten shabbos and ah fraylichen kabolas hatorah to klall yisroel.

Jun 06, 2008 at 05:00 PM anonymous Says:

good job 'lipa' keep it up,big fan!

Jun 06, 2008 at 05:11 PM Yoseph Says:

I once asked someone close to a certain Gadol in Eretz Yisroel to ask him a Shayla for me. He said, "Sure. And what would you like his answer to be?"
'nuf said

Jun 06, 2008 at 05:12 PM VOOS FARSHTAISTEE Says:

ASSkonim! ha ha good one!

Jun 06, 2008 at 05:24 PM anonymous Says:

Yosef that is hysterical!! lol

Jun 06, 2008 at 05:41 PM Anonymous Says:

Any 3 rabbis will do, even if 3 or more bigger rabbis who wish to make sure they hear Lipa's truthful description say to not do so?

Do I hear "Not even 3 Gadolim can sink this concert?"

Jun 06, 2008 at 06:10 PM Anonymous Says:

If lipa has the haskoma of 3 gedolim then he has the right to make the concert. If three "bigger" gedolim say no then it is up to each individual
(hopefully consuling with their personal rov) to choose whom to follow and rely on. Nobody has a monopoly on Psak. Of course the first 3 gedolim
may choose to retract their psak but may not.
(How about Rabbi Heinemann a daas yochid is sticking to his guns against ALL (I think) the BIGGEST Gedolim and that is his right - it doesn't mean he will have a large following)

Jun 06, 2008 at 07:01 PM Babishka Says:

BROWN LIZARD GOLD METAL TIPED COWBOY BOOTS

Since when is it assur to wear cowboy boots? What is wrong with that? The cowboys don't care.

Jun 06, 2008 at 07:45 PM Anonymous Says:

the chassidem really like your songs there must be a reason y the rabbonim don't like the songs maybe they think u put it into non jewish way

Jun 06, 2008 at 07:47 PM Tina Says:

Finally someone picked up on the ASSkonim like - Ive been typing it that way for 6 months - Good job Yosef

Jun 07, 2008 at 10:14 PM SHMOO Says:

HEY LADY! YOU REALLY FEEL THAT YOU HAVE THE RIGHT TO JUDGE ANOTHER YID AND DECLARE HIM TO BE "NOT NORMAL" BECAUSE YOU DON'T LIKE HIS SHOES? MOSHIACH'S NOT HERE BECAUSE OF PEOPLE LIKE YOU, NOT BECAUSE OF PEOPLE LIKE LIPA.

Jun 07, 2008 at 10:16 PM M.P. Says:

This is no doubt a calculated publicity stunt from Lipa.

Lipa's style is not for everyone. For some its too overboard and for some its not.

The Rabbanim should have considered advising their own constituents to attend the "Big Event" or not. This would not have canceled the concert, but it would be the right thing to do.

Signing a blanket issur does not put these rabbanim in a good light. Many disagree and some are outraged which only creates the opposite effect.

Jun 07, 2008 at 10:18 PM meshuggeners Says:

How many people who wear their tzitzis out actually learned the halachos pertaining to it? Do they know that the Gaon and the AR"I held not to wear them out? Other shitos that hold only a small piece of string out? Some hold the whole beged exposed some partially exposed? The problem with a lot of what is being done is that it has little to do with halacha. It has become "fashionable" to dress Yeshivish and people are looked at as goyim for wearing something that is a little different. Sinas Chinam is definitely an aveirah.

Jun 07, 2008 at 10:44 PM Yiddish_Kind Says:

These ASSkonim are no better then the mafia. They impose their extermist views on anyone that becomes popular and they threaten rabbanim and individuals alike to get their way

We shall overcome!

Jun 07, 2008 at 10:52 PM lipa fan Says:

Okay last week on Oorah, Lipa was talking about how rigtheous he was and what a kiddush hashem it was to cancel the concert. If anyone wants to hear it, i have it recorded :)

Jun 07, 2008 at 11:01 PM Yossele Says:

Ain kan mekomo, but how are rabbonim able to "asser" a concert when meeting with only ONE side of the baalei din? Or am I being naive...?

Jun 07, 2008 at 11:37 PM git gezoogt Says:

this Shabbos someone told me that the concert was banned because it was being held in MSG i was shocked because how can the siyum hashas be held in MSG with all the litvish rabbonim present and nobody came out with a ban on it believe me he was speechless he had nothing to answer , Lipa hashem should help you in all you ways Chazak v'emutz

Jun 07, 2008 at 11:51 PM bi mosh Says:

Keep up the good work lipa,
This ASSkonim (well said) are only doing this b-coz thay wana cover up somthing bad thay did recently (as usually)

Don't fall for this people ! ! ! :-)

Jun 08, 2008 at 12:00 AM pro_concert Says:

YEA LIPA BUT MAKE SURE U DONT MAKE A FOOL OUT OF YOURSELF BY TAKING 3 REFORM RABBIS

Jun 08, 2008 at 12:26 AM Anonymous Says:

Wow, metal tipped cowboy boots. Whatta sin. So that's what this is all about? What's on the outside? The outer impression is all that matters, forget about the person's essence and Middos and good heart. That doesn't count for anything.

Jun 08, 2008 at 01:06 AM Sheya Says:

06-06-2008 - 4:14 PM
================================================
If you know for a fact that lipa in in fact not saying the truth then why are you signing off as anonynous. Sign your real name so we can interview u . After all you say you know the REAL truth so why be embaressed??

Jun 08, 2008 at 03:06 AM sholem Says:

Lipa we all love you are the best we are all looking forward for your next concert we hope you are not gonna let us wait for to long chazak v'amatz.

Jun 08, 2008 at 04:05 AM Anonymous Says:

Lipa keep up your good work going to hospitals I was with lipa last week by a sava broches where the chusen. Was in a car crash so lipa made a nice kumzitz we shlept him away from working on his new cd that's y its late you should all know who this yid is lipa what you do to klal yisroal! Is amasing hashem won't let you down so keep it up

Jun 08, 2008 at 11:54 AM Anonymous Says:

I was at a chasinah in the Wiznitz hall in B.P. the week before he canceled the concert where Lipa was going to be the badchen at that chasina. I was leaving the chasina early before benching when I saw Lipa in the coat room with a huge crowd there around him & he was saying there all about the lies that's told to the rabunim.

No. I am not interested in being interviewd but its no big deal. Just ask anyone who spoke with Lipa in the weeks leading up to the cancelation & he will tell you that Lipa did not "discover" this after the cancelation. He knew & was saying the same thing about lies to the rabunim before hand.

Jun 08, 2008 at 02:45 PM dude Says:

the metal boots is a "sin" because of the backround and affiliation you generally portray yourself and your own family backround.

now, if someone grew up in a chassidishe family and dresses a certain way untill he leaves yeshiva, it is EXPECTED from him to wear the clothing his particular affilliation is from and NOT DERAIL. if he does start wearing pointy boots and all kinds of other crazzy stuff that will inevvitably bring some shame on his name and his family, and his "rebbe" and chassidic affiliation.

IT IS TIME THAT PEOPLE UNDERSTAND YOU CANNOT HAVE IT BOTH WAYS AND BE SUCCESSFULL.
YOU CANNOT HAVE FRUM FRIENDS AND FAMILY AND SING THERE, AND THE NEXT DAY DRESS LIKE A SHLUMIEL AND RAP/DANCE/ROCK CONCERT TO UNNAFILLIATED.

you gotta choose one side of the fence AND COME DOWN on that side and stay on that side.

i believe that is the underlying motivation of the much berated ASKANIM, while it might be true that most rabonnim didnt know exactlythe nature of the concert, nevethless the askonim HAD TO PUT A STOP TO LIPA BECAUSE ENOUGH IS ENOUGH..

he is not on the stage of MSG by hiself... if he does crazy things then that represents like i said before his: family/friends/chassidim affiliation/and even his rebbe.

that is why chabad made short work of kicking out MATISYAHU the rapper form calling himself chabad, he uderstood it and in a interview he made it official that he is NOT chabad anymore.
now parents/teachers/shluchim could say it clear to anyone who ask is mattisyahu legit? NO HE IS NOT CHABAD.

Jun 11, 2008 at 04:06 AM Anonymous Says:

I'm glad to hear Lipa will continue performing. It is a mistake to single out any one performer because now you have to identify exactly where "acceptable" ends and "unacceptable" starts. This has not been done and probably can not be done. A can of worms has been opened. I think the Rabbis know this now and will be more careful in the future. Go Lipa!

Jun 11, 2008 at 11:42 AM Anonymous Says:

I don't know if i should write this, but i will
i don't care if he wore cowboy shoes hat whatever..... if he is chassidish he represents one! and he is got to look like one.
if he looks like this and he is kind of a big person and people look up at him.
so what kind of impression does he think he is giving that once your a singer or out in the world you can look retarded.
why doesn't so many other singer do it?
it just proves to you all that he caused his bad name himself , if he just sings and uses his amazing voice without performing.he might not have so many people against him.

Jun 14, 2008 at 03:31 PM Anonymous Says:

i am someone who is trying to plan a very big concert with a new idea so i have begun dealing with the askinim. here is my opinion.no matter what, right or wrong, if there is a kol koreh from so many people it is wrong to go ahead.i b elieve there is a way to plan before hand to ensure there will not be one and that is what i intend to do.
second, in a perfect world as person can wear whatever he wants.i mean show me one place in halachah that adresses these things.nowadays a yis is someone who wears a yarmulka, and a white shirt. both the two of them are not even chiyuvim derabbannan. the problem is that society is messed up so therefore there will be a judgement call on these stupitities so now you must ask yourself do i want to live against my will because of other peoples misunderstandings.
third, when you have a system where there is a huge teen at risk problem, along with wife/children abuse, many of our yeshiva bachurim dont know a darn thing(yes even yours), theres a shidduch crisis i can go on forever, and the only public accomplishment we have so far is about a concert, it shows something is wrong.

Jun 14, 2008 at 03:36 PM Anonymous Says:

but even more so, to add, if you really calculate, not much can go bad at a concert. if you have seperate seating, then during show time basically everything is ok the problem is before and after.well, the reason many boys wont go and talk to a girl is because people will see and everyone knows everyone so someone normal who has any busha wont do anything. the extremely frum wont even want to.so you have left the ones already gone who dont care what people think and theyll do it anyways wether here or somewhere else.

Jun 14, 2008 at 03:39 PM Anonymous Says:

and asd for good things about a concert, well first of all it supplies a jewish outlet. there are many times when one is not in the mood of opening a gemara and if anything out of that is guyish then that is exactly the reason people go to a bar or a non jewish concert.it also makes tons of money for tzedaka and gives an oppertunity for quality time with your parents/friends.

Jun 14, 2008 at 03:42 PM Anonymous Says:

and last but not least, we all have many faults, and its always easy to put down others, well tochachah not for the right reasons is our nations biggest enemy .almost every tzara was because of doing wrong to others.so if your not that great, dont go publicly against someone else because theres nothing god likes less. sure lipa makes mistakes but he does great things too and if you dont like it stay home. but mind your own business.

Aug 14, 2008 at 12:06 AM Anonymous Says:

ATT. ALL THOSE WHO ARE OPENLY POKING FUN OF OUR MOREI DERECH:
those who do not follow what the rabbanim say, or, tend to make fun of them in any which way, will not merit to have GOOD children.
ARE YOU WILLING TO RISK THIS-HUH?
(for your info. any person with 10 or more chasidim is considered a rebbe!)