Berlin - German Court Throws Out WWII Massacre Case Against Former Nazi
Germany - A German court on Tuesday threw out the case against a former SS man accused of involvement in the largest civilian massacre in Nazi-occupied France, saying there was not enough evidence to bring the 89-year-old to trial.
Cologne resident Werner C., whose last name has not been revealed in accordance with German privacy laws, was charged with murder and accessory to murder in connection with the 1944 slaughter in Oradour-sur-Glane in southwestern France.
Dortmund prosecutors had alleged that the suspect shot 25 men as part of a firing squad and then helped as troops blockaded and set fire to a church, in which dozens of women and children were burned alive.
Werner C. denied the charges, saying that he was at the village but never fired a shot and wasn’t otherwise involved in the slaughter of the 642 civilians.
In its ruling, the Cologne state court said no witness statements disprove the suspect’s contention, nor is there any reliable documentary evidence that he was involved in the massacre.
“In a trial it could probably only be proved the suspect was in the area during the massacre in Oradour-sur-Glane as he has consistently maintained,” the court said. “This mere presence is not enough to prove accessory to murder without the proof of other circumstances.”
Dortmund prosecutor Andreas Brendel, who led the investigation, said he was surprised by the court’s decision but that it was too early to say whether he would appeal.
“I brought charges because I believed that the evidence was sufficient,” he said. “The court came to a different conclusion.”
Werner C. was part of the 3rd Company of the 1st Battalion of the “Der Fuehrer” regiment of the fanatical SS’s “Das Reich” division. Four days after the June 6, 1944, D-Day landings in Normandy the company attacked Oradour-sur-Glane in reprisal for the French Resistance’s kidnapping of a German soldier.
The troops herded the civilians into barns and into the church, blocked the doors and then set fire to the entire town. Those not killed in the blazes were shot as they tried to flee, though a handful managed to escape.
In a gesture of reconciliation last year, German President Joachim Gauck and French President Francois Hollande together visited the phantom village — whose burned-out cars and abandoned buildings were left as a memorial to the massacre. Gauck said he shared the bitterness of those in France “over the fact that the murderers have not been brought to justice.”
Brendel is currently investigating five other members of the unit involved in the massacre, but said given the lack of witnesses and other evidence, charges are unlikely.
More of today's headlines“Israel - Security forces arrested two Palestinians directly outside the Tekoa settlement in the West Bank on Tuesday. One of the suspects is the nephew of Amar Abu...” Israel - Terror Attack By Nephew Of Israeli Teens' Murderer Thwarted Outside Tekoa “Crown Heights, NY - A knife-wielding man stabbed an Israeli student in the head inside a Brooklyn synagogue early Tuesday before being fatally shot by police after he...” Crown Heights, NY - Israeli Man Stabbed Inside Chabad Synagogue By Man Heard Saying 'Kill the Jews' (Dramatic Footage)