Brooklyn, NY - Williamsburg On Edge After Chasidic Jews Targeted In Four Attacks In Same Day

Published on: July 7, 2015 09:24 PM

File photo of police on Lee Avenue near Bondo’s 24 Supermarket in Williamsburg, Brooklyn, NY.<br />
(© 2015. All rights reserved)File photo of police on Lee Avenue near Bondo’s 24 Supermarket in Williamsburg, Brooklyn, NY.
(© 2015. All rights reserved)

Brooklyn, NY - It was a disturbing day for Jewish residents of Williamsburg, with four violent incidents taking place in less than 24 hours.

Police told VIN News that a 25 year old man was hit on the head with a glass bottle while he was walking on Driggs Avenue at 1 AM on Monday morning.  The victim sustained a laceration to his ear and the unknown Hispanic suspect fled the scene.

Less than one hour later, Bondo’s 24 Supermarket at the corner of Lee Avenue and Rodney Street and a 62 year old Jewish resident walking several block away on Lee Avenue were both struck by paintballs within the span of just a few minutes.

The fourth attack happened late Monday night when a 65 year old man was beaten by two assailants as he was walking on Wythe Avenue near his Wilson Street home at 12:45 AM.  Police said that the victim was struck with an unknown object several times and that the suspects, a black male and a black female, fled the scene.

VIN News reached out to the victim who declined to be interviewed.

Police said that all four incidents were being investigated as possible hate crimes.

Rabbi David Niederman of the United Jewish Organizations of Williamsburg, said that Jewish residents are scared by the recent spate of attacks that have deliberately targeted the neighborhood’s Chasidic population and called upon the NYPD to do more to protect the area.

“The police are working but they have to step up patrols,” Rabbi Niederman told VIN News. “They have to increase the manpower and provide undercover officers as well as visible manpower so that people should see them it should be a deterrent.  People shouldn’t be afraid to walk the streets.  These are brazen head on attacks. It is outrageous that people should have to be indoors during the summer because they are afraid to go outside.”

Williamsburg Shomrim is taking the latest rash of attacks seriously.

“We intend to have more patrols in that area,” said Williamsburg Shomrim coordinator Yanky Itzkowitz.  “Hate crimes is investigating the incidents, trying to get evidence and we encourage anyone who knows anything to come forward.”

Washington - The most reliable method in the fight to end homelessness is housing vouchers, a Department of Housing and Urban Development report released Tuesday... Washington - The U.S. Army plans to cut 40,000 troops over the next two years, affecting all its domestic and foreign posts, USA Today reported on Tuesday, saying the...

Jul 07, 2015 at 09:40 PM ydeneydene Says:

Wow. I can't sit home all day. 1 am I can see it happening. But other times.... please Hashem!! Thanks Shomrim.I know someone was hit (not today) and the famiky was so distraught tthathat they forgot to make a report. It is important.

Jul 07, 2015 at 09:56 PM Anonymous Says:

Yidden arm yourselves and blow away these Jew haters who are out to kill you.

Jul 07, 2015 at 09:57 PM puppydogs Says:

Hope NYC doesn't turn into Chicago and other liberal cities where crime is running rampant. NYC needs a mayor that is tough on crime.

Jul 07, 2015 at 10:40 PM TexasJew Says:

ydeneydene Says:

You know crazy people.
Why didn't you help them?

Jul 08, 2015 at 12:14 AM chany Says:

ydeneydene Says:

Well guess what! My husband was just threatened an hour ago on the subway. A drunkard yelled at him that he's staring at him (which he did not) and got up close and said that if I had a knife I would f...ing kill you!!! And the worst thing is that none of the people that saw this happen said anything!!

Jul 08, 2015 at 12:45 AM Mama Bear Says:

chany Says:

And my then 15-year old son had his watch stolen & his hat knocked off in a full subway car. Nobody tried to help him. He's 28 now & if anyone came near him today.....

Every Jew a .22. Remember that? Time to arm & disarm.

Jul 08, 2015 at 03:31 AM BarryLS1 Says:

I don't want to see any Jew harmed anywhere. At the same time, I think Hashem is sending you a message that you should feel and act the same way. My Rov, ZT"L was not only a Tzaddik, by he was also a Satmar Chosid and a main Talmid of the Satmar Rebbe, ZT"L. He would NEVER sanction protesting among Eisav and Yishmael against another Jew. While I expect that most Satmar Chassidim feel the same way, silence is acquiescence.

By all your anti-Israel protests, you are harming all Jews in Israel. No matter how you feel and how wrong we know you are, you should never speak ill of the Land or harm Jews who live here.

Jul 08, 2015 at 07:31 AM 5TResident Says:

Careful about the counterattacks. Lay a finger on a person of color and the media and Al Sharpton will be over you like white on rice. You know the media won't treat Jews fairly when it comes to that.

Jul 08, 2015 at 09:22 AM We are in Goles Says:

Hashem is reminding us that we are in Goles and we need to pray for the Real Yeshua.
in the meanwhile it would be important to install high quality Cameras all over williamsburgh corners.

Jul 08, 2015 at 10:00 AM grandson1 Says:

I am sure if this would have happened to Blacks in Harlem, Obama and deBlasio would already be screaming at the top of their lungs about how racist we are but since it is Jews that are being attacked it is only a possibly biased attack. Keep it up you stupid liberal Jews and keep voting for these incompetents.

Jul 08, 2015 at 10:00 AM Zachor613 Says:

More police won't solve the growing problem. They can't be everywhere.

Jews are easy targets. The answer is to stop being an easy target. It would go a long way for every young Jew to spend 1-2 hours 6 days per week in physical conditioning (weightlifting, karate, boxing etc) and make sure it is advertised for everyone to see. Otherwise, we have learned nothing from Europe in the 1920's and 1930's.

Jul 08, 2015 at 10:15 AM Zachor613 Says:

Other ways to help reduce the growing attacks on Jews;

Start an organization and/or support outspoken spokespersons to draw attention to every attack.

Start organizing large rallies to protest anti-Semitic attacks. Put pressure on government to vigorously find and prosecute anti-Semitic hate crimes.

Jul 08, 2015 at 10:50 AM bennyt Says:

The Shomrim should use "stop & frask" instead of "stop & frisk" and that will put an end to these bums attacking Yidden. Years ago, they would do a "chaptzem" and throw the bum over onto the BQE but I guess those days are over.

Jul 08, 2015 at 11:05 AM Bucky in Wisconsin Says:

Too bad concealed carry is illegal for law abiding citizens in NYC. All that means is that the criminals have them.

Jul 08, 2015 at 11:14 AM BuckyinWisconsin Says:

BTW, my home is filled with both handguns, "assault" style long guns and shotguns. And thousands of rounds of ammunition. And many of my fellow shul members have the same, if not even a bigger arsenal than I. One man with an AK-47 and enough ammunition can hold off a platoon of attackers. Granted, in a real life highly organized military style attack G-d forbid, I would not succeed, but as far as a rioting mob, I would venture to say that they would move along to the next home before coming to mine once I let go a few shots from my AK-47. Am Yisroel Chai.

Jul 08, 2015 at 12:07 PM jason Says:

Unless coincidence this can be a series of gang initiations where they would look for easy prey which is unfortunately Chasidic communities.

I do praise and support the above comments for a call to arms for protection as well as actively practising self defence techniques, but lets be realistic, these communities will not support these types of priorities. It will need to be a community priority and not just a handful of people who heed these comments. I've heard feedback that this isn't the "Jewish way". Then I guess these people will unfortunately have to get used to the "Jewish way" being easy targets.

Jul 08, 2015 at 01:13 PM wsbrgh Says:

chany Says:

Bs'd. Usually the passengers run into the next subway car.

Jul 08, 2015 at 01:29 PM BuckyinWisconsin Says:

It is the Jewish way, just not the Jewish "custom" unfortunately. Being this passive leads to very dark things.

Jul 08, 2015 at 01:54 PM lavrenty Says:

BarryLS1 Says:

its true, all decent Jews even if not Zionists feel for their fellow Jews in Israel except Satmar.

Jul 08, 2015 at 02:41 PM Anonymous Says:

lavrenty Says:

That's disgusting and untrue. Satmar has their own people in the holy land, too. Of course they feel for all fellow Jews, Satmar or not, no matter where they may be living.