New Jersey - Sketchy Hasidic Real Estate Tactics Cited By Proponents Of Tighter "No Knock" Regulations In Jackson

Published on: August 11, 2015 06:14 PM

Jackson, NJ - On Tuesday, the city council in Jackson is expected to take up a measure aimed at tightening regulations surrounding the town’s “no knock” ordinance. Cited by residents in favor of the measure are an increasing number of complaints by local residents that Hasidic men, possibly from nearby Lakewood, are trolling Jackson neighborhoods trying to put pressure on residents to sell their homes.

APP.com (http://on.app.com/1L4CPOP) reports that at last month’s meeting, an Arizona Avenue resident told the council that a man—-whom she described as Hasidic—-curtly badgered her with questions about her home after knocking on her door unannounced.

Vitina Hamilton said the Hasidic man sternly told her, “You really should sell your house. I’m sure you don’t want to be surrounded by Jews.”

With neighboring Lakewood’s Jewish community expanding by about 4,000 births per year, some are speculating that Hasidics are targeting Jackson to accommodate its housing needs.

Current penalties for violating Jackson’s “no knock” ordinance range in fines from $500 to $1200 with no jail time. The new proposal calls for fines starting at $1250 with as much as 90 days in imprisonment.

Selden, NY - A Long Island mother and daughter are splitting $7 million in lottery winnings. Lottery officials announced Tuesday that 82-year-old Marilyn Looney of... St. Louis, MO - St. Louis County police have released surveillance video footage they say shows Tyrone Harris Jr., the 18-year-old black suspect who was critically...

Aug 11, 2015 at 06:46 PM Moone Says:

All throughout history, anti-semitism derived from, and grew on fear that the jews will overtake the non-jews. This fear is what's responsible for hundreds of years of suffering, and for millions of deaths. These guys are planting that fear, and helping it cultivate within the non-jewish community, and recklessly doing so without considering that jews mostly enjoyed great times for the first few years after settling in a new place, before persecution began. Don't be naive that this can't repeat in America, just note how quickly Germany took a turn in less than 20 years from total freedom to almost complete annihilation.

Aug 11, 2015 at 06:57 PM Big Masmid Says:

Is this a Joke or what?

Aug 11, 2015 at 07:17 PM PrettyBoyFloyd Says:

Wow. People really need to start behaving Mentshlich towards others. It's one thing to act like a Bulvan in the mikvah, it's a whole nother thing amongst the general population.

Aug 11, 2015 at 07:36 PM Mark Levin Says:

Oyb s'iz Emes, this moron should be dealt with. What a first class mishugina!

Aug 11, 2015 at 08:23 PM CommonSense Says:

We help perpetuate every ugly Jewish stereotype with our actions.

Aug 11, 2015 at 08:46 PM Heeb Says:

PrettyBoyFloyd Says:

Excellent point!!!
Except that 'nother' is not a word.

Aug 11, 2015 at 09:04 PM JackC Says:

It used to be called blockbusting.

Aug 11, 2015 at 10:10 PM markar Says:

Nebech, I feel so bad for them. Anyone can knock on my door and offer me twice what my house is worth. I'll be glad to move. These people are making a killing off the frum

Aug 11, 2015 at 11:20 PM Anonymous Says:

I would like to see the Jackson City Council order that the personal details and photographs of these "Hasidic men" be published prominently enough and circulated widely enough so I would be sure to get a copy here in Brooklyn. I like knowing who to avoid. I would also want to know where they daven and where they learned, because I've been kown to occassionally write large check to mosdos.

To the residents of Jackson, I would say this: If you are confronted by this man, politely have a short conversation, and get as much of his contact information as you can.

Aug 12, 2015 at 01:44 AM Anonymous Says:

When did it become illegal to knock on a door? The yuppies are doing it all over Williamsburg. People do it everywhere and have bought homes that way.
Another anti Semite. That's all it is. They don't want us anywhere.

Aug 12, 2015 at 05:17 AM Abba_S Says:

I am not sure if this is even legal. Is this law only limited to Hasidium or would this apply if say a black knocked on the door? Also is the buyer going to be waiting until the police come which can take a half an hour or more? If the police actually arrest the buyer there are the costs involved such as court cost for public defender, judge and supporting staff beside proving in federal court that the law is not infringement of the buyer's civil right regarding freedom of speech and religion.

In this day and age most people have land lines and you can robo- call or personally call the whole block from the comfort of your own office or even car. Once you have spoken to the home owner and they agrees to a meeting this law doesn't apply.

Aug 12, 2015 at 08:12 AM Not A Lawyer Says:

Abba_S Says:

1] I'm not a lawyer, but many of them are - you can be sure that it will apply to "say a black" (that gave me a good laugh reading, btw), as well as to any other legally responsible individual;

2] See comment #9 - "buyer" gives her contact information to resident, and resident gives that information to the cops.

3] It's unlikely that the law will address "buyer"s. It's more likely that it will address "solicitors" and "tresspassers", as well as "harrassment" and "stalking", and maybe even "assault", "loitering", "extortion", and "racketeering".

4] I do hope that the magnitude of the penalties will exceed the enforcement costs.

5] A "buyer" has no "civil right regarding freedom of speech and religion" to tresspass on private property and do the other things I mentioned in item #3, above.

6] Personally, I would really really like to see robo-calling made a capital offence, only, unlike some wimpy goyim, I haven't decided whether I would want it to be skila, srefa, hereg, chenek, or [I forgot the term for the barley-water diet one].

Aug 12, 2015 at 08:37 AM CommonSense Says:

markar Says:

That's because you care about money above all else. That's the stereotype and you're living it.

Did it ever dawn on you that some people just like living a peaceful life without constantly thinking about money money money ??

Aug 12, 2015 at 10:30 AM Anonymous Says:

This happens to me in Ramapo. I have called the police because we have a "no solicitation law." I have also reported it to the Albany real estate licensing board and am awaiting results.

Aug 12, 2015 at 10:33 AM Anonymous Says:

Another anti Semite. That's all it is. They don't want us anywhere.

"Another anti Semite. That's all it is. They don't want us anywhere."

My neighborhood is selling and many chasidim are moving in. I welcome them, but don't welcome the fact that they throw garbage on their lawns and don't put garbage out on the legal days. They just keep the garbage by the curb every day. Also, why do they hang their clothes to dry out the windows? Put up a clothes line in the back of the house, no?

Aug 12, 2015 at 12:39 PM Secular Says:

מִהֲרוּ, בָּנָיִךְ; מְהָרְסַיִךְ וּמַחֲרִיבַיִךְ, מִמֵּךְ יֵצֵאוּ.

Aug 12, 2015 at 12:40 PM Anonymous Says:

CommonSense Says:

We help perpetuate every ugly Jewish stereotype with our actions.

Good point! Such people are an embarrassment and spread anti-semitism.

Aug 12, 2015 at 02:53 PM Anonymous Says:

"Another anti Semite. That's all it is. They don't want us anywhere."

I guess you've never been outside the garden state...come to Willy or BP or KJ and you will find the same lack of basic sanitation and midos and disrespect for their neighbors. When I've asked "why" you choose to live in such schmutz or won't take the time to mow the grass, trim the weeds, place trash in the proper containers, put the kids' toy's away in the garage, dry the clothers in a dryer etc. I always get variations of the same nonsense..."Every minute wasted in such goiyeshe practices is a minute when I'm not learning torah or doing mitzvos". Forget about the big mitzvah of tikun olam and avoiding a chilul hashem.

Aug 12, 2015 at 01:39 PM Anonymous Says:

PrettyBoyFloyd Says:

" It's one thing to act like a Bulvan in the mikvah..."
The correct colloquial phrase is to "act like a bull in a china shop".....in this case, the relevant phrase is "terrorize" since these black-hatted goons are threatening the goiyehse population of Jackson with being surrounded by a bunch of BMG Loonies. There goes the neighborhood, unless your notion of "upscale" is a Litvish Kardashian.

Aug 12, 2015 at 05:00 PM Chazzan Says:

CommonSense Says:

Seconded.

Someone has to drill into our frum brethren that many goyim care more about enjoying a peaceful life than making every possible penny.

Aug 12, 2015 at 11:37 PM HeshyEkes Says:

" It's one thing to act like a Bulvan in the mikvah..."

The expression is a "Yuvin in der Sikkeh" (a Greek in the Succah); but not as bad as the butchered proverbial; "sometimes you have to grab a bullet by his horn"