Jerusalem - El Al's Pilot Training Program Accepts First Haredi Woman; Tenacity Pays Off For Married Mother Of Three

Published on: August 20, 2015 10:02 PM

Jerusalem - On Wednesday it was announced that the tenacity of a married mother of three from Jerusalem finally paid off, with her becoming the first Haredi woman ever to be accepted into El Al’s pilot training program.

ISRAELNATIONALNEWS.com (http://bit.ly/1U0gNwb) reports that Nehama (full name not disclosed) will begin the training program this coming November.

Nehama—-a Beit Yaakov school graduate who lives in the Haredi neighborhoods of Jerusalem along with her husband and three children—-is a licensed American pilot who began flying the U.S. at age 20.

Having completed all other minimum requirements for entry into El Al’s pilot training, Nehama persevered in finally accumulating the rigorous number of flying hours required by returning to the U.S. annually.

“My dream has always been to be an active pilot,” Nehama said.

Sebastian, FL - Diver William Bartlett had just started exploring a 300-year-old shipwreck with a metal detector late last month in the waters off Florida's Atlantic... Bronx, NY - A gas line explosion at a New York high school on Thursday injured three construction workers, one critically, authorities said. The explosion occurred at...

Aug 20, 2015 at 10:22 PM MarkTwain2 Says:

I'm picturing this scene: Frum woman at elal check in counter is treated very rudely and condescending and then informs the lower level clerks that she's the pilot. Reminds me of a Eged bus, after looking at my white shirt and dark pants, screaming at me for claiming student fare until I whipped out my bonfied USA University picture ID. The different groups in Israel need to break down the stereotyping as a first step toward all getting along better and respecting each other's roles and contributions.

Aug 20, 2015 at 10:35 PM zooog Says:

It can be a YICHID problem in the cockpit

Aug 20, 2015 at 10:57 PM SandmanNY Says:

NOTE TO ALL: It's Elul. No silly comments that might lead to lashon horah or onas dvarim.

Aug 20, 2015 at 11:01 PM chosen-nation Says:

Good for her

Aug 21, 2015 at 02:05 AM Very Not Impressed Says:

Its definitely a yichud problem with the co-pilot, as for sure when she's flying in the clouds with the cockpit locked and her husband is not in town. Now, those that wish to attack me for my statement here please direct your attack to Hashem, the One that made the rules. Anyway, I sure hope I don't ever fly on El-Al with her in the cockpit; truthfully I don't trust women drivers.

Aug 21, 2015 at 07:07 AM Anonymous Says:

MarkTwain2 Says:

You're not taking into account that El Al clerks are rude to everyone, not just to frum women.

Aug 21, 2015 at 07:26 AM AlbertEinstein Says:

Not if you know the laws of Yichud. There is no problem.

Aug 21, 2015 at 08:14 AM Secular Says:

Probably not Chareidi, just standard (American) Orthodox.

Probably not a Yichud problem in a crowded plane. Just as a locked car door is not Yichud in Times Square.

Aug 21, 2015 at 08:46 AM Secular Says:

This woman is no more chareidi, than the women who completed Ranger training.

But it's P.R. and spin. The Frum (Chareidi) pat themselves on the back and can claim gender equality and how they contribute to Israeli society. When in fact she's a standard Orthodox woman.

El Al, similarly can claim diversity in their hiring practices and claim they employ Chareidim -women no less.

Spin spin spin

Aug 21, 2015 at 09:02 AM jay Says:

Secular Says:

Probably not Chareidi, just standard (American) Orthodox.

There is video surveillance in the cockpit so it's ok

Aug 21, 2015 at 09:26 AM bewhiskered Says:

Very Not Impressed Says:

"Its definitely a yichud problem with the co-pilot, as for sure when she's flying in the clouds with the cockpit locked and her husband is not in town."

And, who was it exactly who made you (and Poster #2) a פוסק and a מורה הלכה? It's one thing to ask a question, but to render הלכה publicly is not only a sign of being a complete עם הארץ (which you most certainly are), but also a shameful מחוצף in addition to a pathetic misogynist who categorizes all women as bad drivers.

Aug 21, 2015 at 09:45 AM HeshyEmes Says:

Secular Says:

Probably not Chareidi, just standard (American) Orthodox.

Times Square??? No one who ever learned the Halachos of Yichud or has an IQ over 50 can possibly compare the privacy of a locked cockpit & a car in Times Square. There may be heterem for pilots who are occupied with flying, but it would depend on how well the autopilot works.
Perhaps Rabbi Yair Hoffman, or another Yichud "expert" could post a Halachik analysis?

Aug 21, 2015 at 10:38 AM Secular Says:

...don't go to Times square...

Aug 21, 2015 at 11:33 AM Anonymous Says:

Very Not Impressed Says:

You sound like and behave like "Rain Man". I feel sorry for your wife and children.

Aug 21, 2015 at 02:11 PM berylyoseph Says:

Even if there is no yichud problem in the cockpit. As one who has experience with the IDF (EL AL pilots are its graduates) I would advise the husband to check which hotel she lodging in the landing city and with whom. If he is "Chareidi" like his wife, He could easily find another woman to keep him company, while his wife is away as there are so many of them in Israel.

Aug 21, 2015 at 05:36 PM Anonymous Says:

berylyoseph Says:

Are you implying that this man is not really Chareidi? Are you also implying that non-Chareidi men will cheat, while Chareidi men won't?

Aug 21, 2015 at 05:39 PM Anonymous Says:

bewhiskered Says:

Maybe El Al could train other women, so there is will be no issue with yichud (although the nudniks will find another problem with female pilots).