New Jersey - Lakewood Couple Arrested And Charged With Welfare Fraud

Published on: September 1, 2015 03:11 PM

New Jersey - A Lakewood couple has been arrested on charges of fraud, including the unlawful receipt of over $145,000 in public benefits, according to a press release issued by the Ocean County Prosecutor’s Office. The duo was taken into custody this morning at 7:30AM at their home without incident.

Following an investigation by the Ocean County Prosecutor’s Office in conjunction with the New Jersey State Comptroller’s Office, the 43-year-old husband was charged with second degree Theft by Deception for falsifying his income on his Medicaid application. His 42-year-old wife was charged with third degree Theft by Deception for lying about her income in order to obtain more than $5,500 in food stamps.

Bail was set at $75,000 for the husband and $5,000 for the wife.

Jerusalem - Egypt's new natural gas bonanza is causing an uproar in Israel, with energy stocks plummeting and recriminations over indecisiveness and infighting that... Orange County, NY - It was a scene reminiscent of an angry mob at last night’s Monroe Town Board meeting held at the Town’s movie theater. Chants of “Save our...

Sep 01, 2015 at 03:19 PM Anonymous Says:

I thought the Torah establishment was aware that sheker is ossur (actually more than just ossur), and that geneivah from a goy (or government) is also ossur. Does anyone have an explanation that is a strong enough defense for their din on this world?

Sep 01, 2015 at 03:27 PM stopthis Says:

What a terrible crime they will probly sit now for 10 years thats crazy this system is insane now lets hear from all the self hating jews how bad lakewood is and how they are thieves lets go bring it on

Sep 01, 2015 at 03:43 PM Boochie Says:

To number #1 zah nisht a zah yeka, you take more the the government that you think

Sep 01, 2015 at 03:48 PM benalt Says:

stopthis Says:

No. But a system that discourages preparation for a livelihood and pushes it off might cause certain temptations which result in things like this.

Sep 01, 2015 at 03:51 PM judith Says:

stopthis Says:

What's wrong with 10 years for theft? What about the system is insane?

Sep 01, 2015 at 04:10 PM aroza Says:

To all you posters Dont rush to judge. Just say . There by the grace of G-D go I. I'm not saying its right what they did, However the pressure of running a houshold tuition etc.etc. etc. can drive any sane person to do crazy things. Just think about it .

Sep 01, 2015 at 04:11 PM DanielBarbaz Says:

Why would anyone assume that the people charged with the crime are Jews? It does not say that anywhere in the article.

Sep 01, 2015 at 04:15 PM InNY Says:

DanielBarbaz Says:

It's a Jewish couple, VIN omitted their names from the Press Release.

Sep 01, 2015 at 04:32 PM Shimon Says:

aroza Says:

Nothing justifies theft. We have a Torah that gives us the right choices to make.

Sep 01, 2015 at 04:38 PM Anonymous Says:

stopthis Says:

The ssytem is not crazy. If guilty, therse cooks, who created a chillul Hashen in Elul should serve their time.

Sep 01, 2015 at 04:40 PM MAYERFREUND Says:

What is your heter to look for loshon hora? I am waiting you should let me know where in the chofets chaim it says that to look for loshon hora hearing or reading is allowed.

Sep 01, 2015 at 04:42 PM Anonymous Says:

aroza Says:

Read the other posts about a system that encourage people not to be willing or able to earn a living. In year past most people also worked for a living. Just think about it. No ruch daddy, you must learn a trade or profession and work . Read Prikei Avos to start.

Sep 01, 2015 at 04:42 PM Anonymous Says:

Boochie Says:

We can preach honesty to our children. But then we model for them that we can make all sorts of compromises. And sheker is one area where my Torah specifies that compromises are not acceptable. Are we preaching needlessly, since we model the opposite? Or perhaps we are being hypocrites? Please explain.

I'm not being a yekke. Just giving my best effort to live a life of kiddush Hashem. How about you?

Sep 01, 2015 at 05:02 PM Anonymous Says:

InNY Says:

It's a Jewish couple, VIN omitted their names from the Press Release.

Mitzvah haba b'Aveirah!

For shame! Universal long term, full time study is not possible for everyone-look what can happen!

Sep 01, 2015 at 05:07 PM PMOinFL Says:

stopthis Says:

Why is the system crazy? If you are a thief, and you get caught, you go to prison. We all know that. So is the system crazy, or are the people who risk their lives and the lives of their children crazy? I say the latter.

And, I while I would never disparage Lakewood as a whole, there are elements of EVERY Jewish community where thievery is a way of life and we all know it and we turn a blind eye. Far too many of us have no marketable skills, no education, no training and no ambition and the numbers are growing. Thieving parents who cheat every system they can will raise children to do the exact same thing.

None of our communities is better than any other. We've all seen it. We all know it exists and we do nothing to hold our educators accountable for ensuring that our children can make a living so they don't have to live as thieves. I don't knwo why this issue always comes up. It's not like we weren't warned about this: "He that does not teach his son a trade, teaches him to steal".

Sep 01, 2015 at 05:30 PM mdunger Says:

InNY Says:

It's a Jewish couple, VIN omitted their names from the Press Release.

Sorry, but although you know how to google, your search came up with an old article on app. If you go on APP.com you will see pictures and names. Not mishelunu

Sep 01, 2015 at 05:33 PM Anonymous Says:

Unless we do something to bring down our insane cost of living this will keep happening. Tuitions are insane and if you cant pay your kids are not let into yeshiva then as soon as you finish paying for a wedding if you don't support for ten years your kids stay single !!! we need to change the system!

Sep 01, 2015 at 06:25 PM yudel Says:

They are not from the yeshiva community, so cut the flak.

Sep 01, 2015 at 06:37 PM Anonymous Says:

Does this article have the couples name? If it does than its lashon hara in which case I find it ironic that people are quick to condemn them after reading the article(I didn't read the article I just clicked to the comments). And don't tell me apay talasa bc I haven't seen this reported in any tri state area news outlet. So if not for this article I wouldn't have heard about it.

Sep 01, 2015 at 06:50 PM Anonymous Says:

The yeshivas are doing a terrible job of disseminating the foundations of emunah which is fundamental to living as a Torah true jew. Just read the above comments justifying this behavoir.

Sep 01, 2015 at 07:19 PM Anonymous Says:

Before you accuse victim of taking more from the government than you think...do your research. It may have been my comment and I don't have any programs or whatsoever. I live and earn a meager....after all my insurance and reg costs. ... and I know more like me. (Btw, it was not my comment).
What about you??

Sep 01, 2015 at 07:32 PM Children Says:

If you can't afford to raise a large family, perhaps consider 2-3 children until you feel financially capable of bringing another child into the world.

Sep 01, 2015 at 09:38 PM Anonymous Says:

Better that all of their children went to PUBLIC SCHOOL OR WERE HOME SCHOOLED IF they did this to pay for Cheder tuition.

Sep 01, 2015 at 10:14 PM Bob Says:

Wrong.
Dumb comment.

Sep 01, 2015 at 10:23 PM Anonymous Says:

I don't know the facts in this case, probably Nobody knows it Yet, the fact of עד שתגיע למקומו is a fact that we all know, and the even the Judicial system also tells us not guilty until Proven guilty, an arrest does not man convicted. If we don't give each other the benefit of the doubt, why do we want Hashem to understand and forgive us on Rosh Hashanah?

A friend sitting here tells me that the system to be qualified to receive government help for a growing family or people who are working but still struggling to cover their daily expenses is not very family or realistically accurate. Meaning; if a applicant is earning a Few Dollars (even like $10-15) more than the book allows, then they lose everything or simply get rejected when they apply. So the words used in this article stealing might be just going to the doctor or collecting food stamps or whatever accumulating the above amount might have been done just to Survive.

I work about 70 to 75 hours a week and between food, tuition, clothing, supporting a family is almost impossible in these days. Some of you here might twist my words by saying that I am justifying stealing. If u think so, then please read my comment again. People have to live and Some people have no other choice.
I think, had the government been a bit not so tight in there policies that would have encouraged people to be straight up and live normal life vs being scared of getting a little raise and loose Everything.

Sep 02, 2015 at 01:03 AM Anonymous Says:

I read your posting 3 times just to be sure I understood what you are saying. And yes, you ARE a ganov and you are stealing from all of us who pay taxes and comply with the rules. You can rationalize all you want about how difficult it may be to get by and why it may sometimes be "OK" to circumvent the rules but you are steal a ganov and will pay for your crimes, hopefully sooner than later.

Sep 02, 2015 at 09:37 AM smartie Says:

Saying that you feel financial stress leads you to an aveirah is not an excuse. THAT IS THE NISAYON! The guy in monsey who sold treif meat also felt financial stress.... When you tell small lies on your tax return and at government offices know that you are slowly chipping away at midvar sheker tirchak. Once you've done it enough little white lies will become second nature. If we could teach our kids to be moser nefesh for the emes(Torah, financial matters, embaressement) we'd be raising a stronger generation)

Sep 02, 2015 at 10:59 AM benalt Says:

Bob Says:

Wrong.
Dumb comment.

Wrong. Well said.

Sep 02, 2015 at 12:03 PM ActualJew Says:

Was it worth it? Was it worth sitting around and not working, stealing from the government so that you can sit in jail, away from your family? Was it worth creating another chilul HaShem and a shanda? Was it worth it? Again? Does no one learn? My sister tells me stories about Lakewood and I literally cannot believe it. I literally cannot believe that people would put their lives and families in jeapordy in order to avoid working for a living.
PS- who will bail them out? Will any rabbis show up with envelopes full of cash?
I am sick to my stomach.

Sep 02, 2015 at 01:36 PM Anonymous Says:

I'm not saying what they did was right, but it angers me that they'd go after a couple who probably did this because of the pressures of providing for a large family (tuition included) instead of going after the low-lifes who spend their money on drugs and booze and get away with using government money. They're the ones who don't deserve it and should be caught.

Sep 02, 2015 at 02:44 PM Anonymous Says:

"I'm not saying what they did was right, but it angers me that they'd go after a couple who probably did this because of the pressures of providing for a large family (tuition included)"

Maybe they should have had a smaller family if they are forced to steal and go to jail. What good is a large family if they are behind bars in jumpsuits?

Stop making excuses. If they were not Frum, you would want them locked up.

Sep 02, 2015 at 02:49 PM Anonymous Says:

Says:

How about if we insist the yeshivas educate our kids so we don't have to support them forever!!!! A family has 10 kids and all the boys study their entire lives. Of course, we will have to support them forever.

Sep 02, 2015 at 04:50 PM Anonymous Says:

PMOinFL Says:

Amen!

Sep 02, 2015 at 04:53 PM Anonymous Says:

Says:

Tuition is no defense. Though it's too high. Better they were home schooled than the parents become criminals and damage their kids, the community as well as klal Yisreol.

Sep 02, 2015 at 06:06 PM Anonymous Says:

mdunger Says:

They are frum. They asked the prosecutor to take down the mother's picture because she had to take off her head covering to take her mug shot.

Sep 05, 2015 at 08:08 PM Anonymous Says:

mdunger Says:

itis pathetic how far people will got o fool others, and even themselves, into believing that people wearing frum levush cannot commit crimes or be dishonest.

get over it, there are Yidden who are in many respects frum who do despicable things, as in every aspect in society.

we just expect better from our own.

Sep 05, 2015 at 08:14 PM Anonymous Says:

yudel Says:

They are not from the yeshiva community, so cut the flak.

oh, so if they are just stam Jews, you're okay with that. very impressive.

Sep 05, 2015 at 08:17 PM Anonymous Says:

you are an incredible hypocrite.

If youw ere worried about loshon horah, you not only shouldn't be rading sites like this one, but for sure you should not be reading the comments, which have a hundred times more rechilus and loshon hora than the articles do.

And I'm very sure that I am not the only one who believes that you are a liar aswell, and read without question the article.

"does this article have the couples names"? how disingenuous of you, especially since the comments discuss whether the names were included. what an incredible hypocrite!

Sep 06, 2015 at 04:30 PM Shlomiedovidmoshieibnismailibnabdo Says:

On one hand its Americas fault on the other its his

Nov 04, 2015 at 08:54 AM Comon_Sense Says:

Not true! The app.com shows a photo of the wife WITH a head covering (albeit she looks quite modern - not heimish - with her hair showing).