Ukraine - Body Of Missing Israeli Found In Uman

Published on: September 19, 2015 08:33 PM

Ukraine - The body of missing Israeli Amir Ohana was found in a river in Uman, Ukraine after he was reported missing last week.

Ohana’s body was found Saturday in a lake in the city, which is a popular destination for many Jews on Rosh Hashanah, the Jewish New Year. His family has been informed.

The ZAKA rescue organization found the body of the unfortunate man, who suffered from epilepsy.

“One of the ZAKA volunteers who had flown out from Israel on Thursday saw the body floating in the river that runs through Uman,” read a ZAKA statement on Saturday night. “Ohana z"l was found wearing his Shabbat clothes, without shoes or socks. It would appear that he had fallen into the river, after sitting on the river banks.”

Apparently Ohana was struck by an epileptic fit while sitting by the river, and due to it he fell in and drowned.

“ZAKA is working together with the Israeli Foreign Ministry and the Israeli Embassy to bring the body back to Israel as soon as possible for burial.”

Ohana, a married father of three from Bat Yam, had been missing since last Tuesday, when he went out to the woods to be alone on the last day of the two-day holiday.

The tragic discovery comes after volunteers in the ZAKA rescue organization, which had been conducting a massive search operation, reported last Friday that they had received important testimony from witnesses who had seen Ohana just before contact was lost with him.

Gaza - Israel carried out air strikes in the Gaza Strip on Saturday after Palestinian militants there fired rockets into southern Israel. The overnight air strikes... Phoenix, AZ - A landscaper arrested in a series of Phoenix freeway shootings told a judge Saturday that authorities have "the wrong guy" as investigators stood by their...

Sep 19, 2015 at 08:53 PM sissel613 Says:

Baruch Dayan HaEmes. I am sorry for this young family. However, I do have a question.... Knowing that this man suffered from such an illness, why did he go?

Sep 19, 2015 at 09:45 PM harryw Says:

sissel613 Says:

The answer is sadly, most of the people going there have no business being there. Many of the participants are just hood looms and hooligans. Behave like animals in the airport and other public places. It's a very wicked and convoluted movement that really has nothing to do with r nachman or yidishkeit for that matter.

Sep 19, 2015 at 10:38 PM Nycnyc Says:

There should be a type of shomrim group set up so there is a control. I have been there three times but that was 18 years ago when the crowd was only 7000 people. With such a large crowd you need several hundred security monitors to cordon off dangerous areas.

Sep 19, 2015 at 11:39 PM sissel613 Says:

harryw Says:

No one has any business being there. Give money to these people who hate us with a passion! So many husbands leaving their families on a yom tov is beyond my understanding. Those who flew with entire families is also beyond my understanding. I have very close family members who went....I wasn't pleased. I know another family who went with five young kids. Oldest is 12 and the youngest is just a baby. Those who left from Eretz Yisroel is again something I don't get..... Leave there.??.. A place that has so much kedusha to a place with so much Jewish blood saturating the ground they are walking on. A place of tuma? I'd like a Breslover to explain it to me. There isn't even rebbe today. They say Rebbe Nachman says it's a segulah to go there? His Kever should be brought to Eretz Yisroel.

Sep 19, 2015 at 11:45 PM Anonymous Says:

harryw Says:

first of all learn how to spell the names you call people. were you ever there to witness these accusations or you just hate anybody who's not like you?

Sep 20, 2015 at 01:45 AM MyThreeCents Says:

harryw Says:

Who said this man was a hooligan? It is a tragedy for him and his wife and family. A man drowned and you make this callous remark about some people having no business going there? Of course it is all Yad Hashem and we do say in Nesaneh Tokef on Rosh Hashono "Mi BaMayim..." But, who are we to judge this man?

Sep 20, 2015 at 04:02 AM Chaim Says:

sissel613 Says:

Every chassidus have husbands leaving their families on Rosh Hashanah whether to Israel or from Israel. Why does it bother you (and others) only about Breslov? Don't you think they must all be doing something advantageous if they come back so inspired? Instead of criticizing them, why don't you try it and see for your yourself?

Sep 20, 2015 at 08:27 AM sseimb Says:

harryw Says:

I hope Hashem has mercy on your neshama and is not mektreg on you like you are on 60000 hoodlum's I don't even know how you will ask m'chila from these bums myself included, but then again you have probably rationilized to yourself that it's ok. I pity what your year and olam haba will look like, btw I personally forgive you, although you could probably care less, however I cannot do so for all my fellow hooligans.

Sep 20, 2015 at 09:30 AM enlightened-yid Says:

Chaim Says:

Inspired by what exactly: worshiping graves all over the world? Let them be inspired by the Kotel.

Sep 20, 2015 at 10:47 AM Anonymous Says:

harryw Says:

How true this is! How true!

Sep 20, 2015 at 10:57 AM Shamayah Says:

ב"ה
There's a stinky fish head here! I'm a retired paramedic and analysized this case thorougly and arrived with the following conclusion:
Epileptics take medication and this poor soul made it to his destination w/o incident.
(2) Even a Grand Mal Seizure comes on gradually, with warning, so much so, that if he was wading in the Water, he would have had sufficient time to get out!
(3) In all unattended deaths, especially in a foreign country, a country that hates us, an autopsy would have been ordered by Israeli Government!
(4) Corruption prevails, for Uman is a money maker both for Israel and of course, the "underground" organization there!
I could go on and on with this stinky fish head, but I'd rather not!

Sep 20, 2015 at 12:32 PM don'tknowalltheanswers Says:

sissel613 Says:

Maybe he wanted to pray by the kayver for a refuah shelaymah for his illness. BDE.

Sep 20, 2015 at 01:51 PM sissel613 Says:

Chaim Says:

I know other chassidus go to their rebbes. But leave your families behind? Me go to Uman? Never! I don't want to walk on earth that has so much Jewish blood....Europe anywhere does not call my name.

Sep 20, 2015 at 04:38 PM Chaim Says:

sissel613 Says:

Yes, they all leave their wives and children behind just like Breslov. As in Uman, sometimes a wife would join.

Sep 24, 2015 at 12:38 PM ActualJew Says:

My Ukrainian grandpa used to tell me about insane Jew hatred in his homeland. He also told me that Jews would do anything to get home for Yom tov. What is going on w men leaving their mishpachas to travel to thus place?