New York - Trump Suggestion Closing Down American Mosques Draws Rebuke From CAIR

Published on: October 22, 2015 11:39 AM
FILE - U.S. Republican presidential candidate Donald Trump leaves the stage surrounded by security after addressing the crowd at a campaign rally in Tynsboro, Massachusetts,  October 16, 2015.   REUTERS/Gretchen ErtlFILE - U.S. Republican presidential candidate Donald Trump leaves the stage surrounded by security after addressing the crowd at a campaign rally in Tynsboro, Massachusetts,  October 16, 2015.  REUTERS/Gretchen Ertl

New York - The Council on American-Islamic Relations (CAIR), the nation’s largest Muslim civil rights and advocacy organization, today condemned leading Republican presidential candidate Donald Trump’s apparent willingness to close down American mosques.

During an interview last night on Fox Business with Stuart Varney, Trump was asked whether, as president, he would follow the lead of a British proposal to close “extremist” mosques.

“I would do that, absolutely, I think it’s great,” said Trump. When pressed on whether he could close a mosque, given American laws protecting religious freedom, Trump said, “Well I don’t know,” and conceded, “I mean, I haven’t heard about the closing of the mosque. It depends, if the mosque is, you know, loaded for bear, I don’t know. You’re going to have to certainly look at it.”

“Donald Trump’s apparent willingness to close down American mosques that he deems ‘extreme’ is totally incompatible with the Constitution and our nation’s cherished principle of religious freedom,” said CAIR Government Affairs Department Manager Robert McCaw. “The government should not be in the business of deciding what is acceptable free speech or religious belief. Donald Trump’s off-the-cuff remarks are both un-American, and un-presidential.”

McCaw asked Trump to clarify his definition of “extremism” and to elaborate on what criteria would be used to close any house of worship.

Jerusalem - A Jewish Israeli man was shot and killed in a scuffle with Israeli soldiers who suspected he was a Palestinian attacker, police said Thursday, in a... New York - Former New York state Assembly Speaker Sheldon Silver says he believes he will be vindicated after his corruption trial. Silver made the remarks Wednesday...

Oct 22, 2015 at 12:14 PM yankee96 Says:

GREAT IDEA!!
LETS SEE.......

Oct 22, 2015 at 12:04 PM SGMoish Says:

Omg what are they all stupid?? Hey here's your answer dummy. If there's evidence of support for terrorism be it financial or otherwise, if there's evidence of incitement to violence against anyone (beyond reading the violent Koran) then yes shut it down. That would not qualify as a relig institution and the government would be required to arrest anyone engaged in the above.

Oct 22, 2015 at 12:43 PM Aryeh Says:

Of course Government can temper free speech McCaw.

Clear and present danger
Fire in a movie house
Movie in a fire house
Justice Oliver Wendell Holmes

Oct 22, 2015 at 01:04 PM albroker Says:

Trump unlike the disaster BUSH is not bound to Saudi oil.

Oct 22, 2015 at 01:18 PM Boochie Says:

But tomorrow we will know if the country agreed with him or not, if his poll numbers jump.......

Oct 22, 2015 at 01:22 PM CEDARHURST Says:

we are all bound to OIL - unless the pre industrial age - go back to pre plastics, pre diesel, pre gasoline and yes NO electricity, clean water, Rx and CVS will sell leeches for bloodletting eh
1/4 of all US oil comes from Canada specifically the NDP controlled (think elizabeth Warren) alberta formerly steven Harper ville

Oct 22, 2015 at 01:27 PM Anonymous Says:

This is the first time I can agree with CAIR.

Oct 22, 2015 at 03:04 PM chassidisheyid Says:

People have called for the closing of "jewish temples" , in the not so distant past.
Before we rush to elevate Trump to his rightful place in Gan Eden among all the Tzadikim we should reflect on the famous words of a prominent German priest.
"First they came for the Socialists, and I did not speak out—
Because I was not a Socialist.
Then they came for the Trade Unionists, and I did not speak out
Because I was not a Trade Unionist.
Then they came for the Jews, and I did not speak out—
Because I was not a Jew.
Then they came for me—and there was no one left to speak for me."

Oct 22, 2015 at 03:54 PM CEDARHURST Says:

I wonder what Steven Harper would stand up for the Donald if he walked into the room. Im thinking he would immitiate and mock him -

Oct 22, 2015 at 04:29 PM FinVeeNemtMenSeichel Says:

chassidisheyid Says:

"First they came for the Socialists, and I did not speak out—
Because I was not a Socialist.
Then they came for the Trade Unionists, and I did not speak out
Because I was not a Trade Unionist.
Then they came for the Jews, and I did not speak out—
Because I was not a Jew.
Then they came for me—and there was no one left to speak for me."

Don't you think that in light of all that's going on, this silly knee-jerk reaction of comparing Judaism to Islam must stop?

Oct 22, 2015 at 06:26 PM chassidisheyid Says:

FinVeeNemtMenSeichel Says:

Don't you think that in light of what went on in Europe before and during WWII, and the way the world views the Jews now, we should tread very carefully in demonizing a whole race or religion? Do you really think there are no people in power (or one election or one heartbeat away from power) now in the USA and Western Europe, who would close our shuls, confiscate our buisneses and money and expel all Jews, if only they could. Those that fail to learn from history, will find history repeats itself, Hashem Yerachem.

Oct 22, 2015 at 06:39 PM chassidisheyid Says:

I'm not comparing Judasim lehavdill elef Havdalos to Islam. And even If I was, my fellow jews need not worry about what I would do about it. My concern lies with those in power. Trump may have a jewish son-in-law now, but tomorrow he may have a muslim son in law. Do you really think he would then be calling for the closing of mosques and composing love songs to the Jews. World opinion is fickle (ask the French Jews about that, and the Eygyptian Jew whose horse won the Triple Crown, and your Hungarian relatives or friends about their relationships with their neighbors before the Nazi invasion). What goes around comes around, and we definetly do not want it coming around to us, Hashem Yishmerainu.

Oct 22, 2015 at 09:14 PM Anonymous Says:

FinVeeNemtMenSeichel Says:

Sorry but "extremism" aka terrorism does not fall under the heading of "freedom of religion!"

Oct 22, 2015 at 09:50 PM Anonymous Says:

chassidisheyid Says:

You should compare yiddeshkeit to Islam for purposes of what Trump has proposed. It is a blatant violation of the the Bill of Rights for politicians to decide what is radical. If they have evidence of a crime, than fine, shut them down but not for their beliefs. If that is the standard, than 1/2 the shuls in BP, Willy and Monsey would be shut down tomorrow for their support of discrimination and abusive behavior toward women and children.

Oct 22, 2015 at 10:42 PM Esther Says:

This is the first time I can agree with CAIR.

Do you really think CAIR cares about YOUR religious freedom,or life for that matter?

Oct 22, 2015 at 10:46 PM Esther Says:

chassidisheyid Says:

"First they came for the Socialists, and I did not speak out—
Because I was not a Socialist.
Then they came for the Trade Unionists, and I did not speak out
Because I was not a Trade Unionist.
Then they came for the Jews, and I did not speak out—
Because I was not a Jew.
Then they came for me—and there was no one left to speak for me."

Some of us are consumed with fear about our own religious freedoms being curtailed if we clamp down on Islamic extremism.Meanwhile the threat of Islamic terrorism continues in this country.