Toms River, NJ - Overflow Crowd Attends Hearing Over Private-Residence Chabad Operating In Toms River

Published on: December 18, 2015 12:39 PM
FILE - Rabbi Moshe Gourarie from New Jersey looks at a room riddled with bullet marks from the 2008 terror attack at the Chabad Center, during the reopening of the Jewish center in Mumbai, India, Tuesday, Aug. 26, 2014.  (AP Photo/Rajanish Kakade)FILE - Rabbi Moshe Gourarie from New Jersey looks at a room riddled with bullet marks from the 2008 terror attack at the Chabad Center, during the reopening of the Jewish center in Mumbai, India, Tuesday, Aug. 26, 2014.  (AP Photo/Rajanish Kakade)

Toms River, NJ - Over 1,200 local residents attended a packed hearing Thursday night in Toms River to voice their opinions over a controversial Chabad Jewish Center that is being run by an Orthodox Jewish rabbi out of his private residence home on Church Road.

APP.com (http://on.app.com/1NtC3cJ) reports that Rabbi Moshe Gourarie argued that his Jewish Center—-which he claims draws only 15 to 20 people weekly to Sabbath—-is legal in its current residential zone, but opponents of the center believe Gourarie is in violation of a 2009 township zoning ordinance revision which banned churches in the residential zone in which his property is located.

After a four-hour, sometimes contentious hearing, zoning board members rejected Gourarie’s case and said that he must file an application requesting a variance from the Board of Adjustment in order to continue running his center.

Over 5,000 local residents have already signed a petition opposing Gourarie’s application.

Opponents openly questioned Gourarie’s claim that he had no intention of expanding the size of his congregation at his 7-acre lot, with most citing the property’s proximity to nearby Lakewood and its large Orthodox Jewish population as reasons for concern.

Little Silver, NJ - Following an 8 month investigation, Little Silver police have arrested a Neptune Township man who they term a "professional burglar" and along with... Israel - A recent discovery by an archaeological team from Haifa University has proven that a Talmudic passage is historically accurate, and that there were, in fact...

Dec 18, 2015 at 01:05 PM Sambatyon Says:

Maybe a Beis Medrash doesn't belong on "Church" Road So he should sell the property and buy someplace else he might have more mazel.

Dec 18, 2015 at 01:39 PM Anonymous Says:

Mr Joe Field ... No comments ?????

Dec 18, 2015 at 01:45 PM Moshiach Is on His way Says:

When Chabad and Litfaks meet!!

Dec 18, 2015 at 02:14 PM AJ Says:

Toms River Bund Party

Brown shirts
The guy has 7 acres, and has 15 people over for sabbath meals.
What a joke you are toms river, a national disgrace

Dec 18, 2015 at 06:47 PM Anonymous Says:

FOLLOW the simple laws people!!! How hard is it? I know of one shul which was in a residential neighborhood... It was not zoned for a shul. They have huge crowds all the time... and it is a massive building. Parking during the week is a mess. They were told to stop the construction/expansion. They didn't. Huge huge mess. Then the shul claims "anti-Semitism". UM>>>> NO commercial or religious institutions were allowed in that area. They did it without permits and then when stopped because it is illegal how is it anti-Semitism???

Dec 19, 2015 at 05:42 PM misslydia128 Says:

Right on,. I live next door to a girl's yeshiva, which was small when I moved in 22 years ago. Over rthe years it has expanded 5 times, and now causes major traffic and parking disruptions, horrendous garbage probems, blocked sunlight, etc. No antisemitism in Toms River.

Dec 19, 2015 at 06:21 PM yankee96 Says:

beautiful kiddish hashem !!

Dec 19, 2015 at 07:05 PM Hillel Says:

If I live on that street in Tom's Cabin and invite every weekend 25 a 30 of my pals toy home to play poker or to party until 3AM do I need a zoning variance? The answer is No! Well, in the same way I can invite my buddies even all Jewish to my home where we can chose to meditate or pray out loud. As long as I don't put I a large or even small sign outside to affect the look of the neighborhood, I did not violate the zoning laws. The rabbi should insist the people come to play dreidel but then some begin praying that they win, and there is nothing to stop them. Let the Tom Cabin neighbors that oppose the rabbi scream UNCLE but keep the dreidel game going. ...checks Shomer Shabbos we have a receipt book..... Thank you for listening.

Dec 19, 2015 at 07:54 PM yaakov doe Says:

There's a Federal law which allows houses of worship in all residential areas as long as the buildings are up to local code. There is no way that town can stop him. A school is not protected in the same way.

Dec 19, 2015 at 10:32 PM Anonymous Says:

Sadly, it will only be after these arrogant yidden suffer some horrible encounter with their neighbors that they will realize that you have to obey the law and don't impose yourself where you are not wanted. At that time of suffering, it will be too late to say "we told you so". We've seen this movie before and it will end badly.

Dec 19, 2015 at 11:41 PM ephraim s. Says:

growing up in lakewood my father always made fun of chabad. however now that im a grown man myself i have nothing but good to say about chabad. they have helped me numerous times throughout my business travels. recently i have had tremendous hatzlochoh in my parnasa and i secretly donate to chabad.

Dec 22, 2015 at 11:25 AM BuckyinWisconsin Says:

ephraim s. Says:

Secretly? Seriously, do you have to do it secretly? That is a shame. Chabad may have a fair number of "kooky" people, but almost all of them they are genuine Frum Jews. A little confused many of them regarding Moshiach still , but Yerai Shomayim.

Dec 22, 2015 at 04:18 PM Brian Says:

I can't believe that you guys don't see the anti semitism here. Including from self hating Jews that are Orthophobic. He's on 7 acres. Presumably he has plenty of room that he doesn't need to disturb neighbors. But if neighbors don't like him, I can understand that there is minimal inconvenience of those who may have parked on main road etc. but 5,000 people sign petition against shul?! Seriously?! How are their lives adversely affected by Rabbi's minyan? (Or could it be a reform/conservative led effort based on turf and they are happy to have support of any people who hate Orthodox Jews, whether Jewish or not).