Jerusalem - Israeli Boy Dies Tragically After Being Struck By Bus

Published on: December 27, 2015 02:02 PM

Jerusalem - A three year old boy was killed today in a West Bank settlement south of Jerusalem after he was hit by a bus.

Yisroel Dovid Weingarten was crossing Rechov Hachozen MiLublin in Beitar Ilit with his older brother at 4 PM this afternoon local time when he was hit by the Kavim bus operating on Route 5 to Shechunat Hadekel.

One woman who was standing on her porch watched the horrific accident unfold, according to B’Chadrei Chareidim.

“I saw the bus at the stop,” said one woman who witnessed the accident.  “Passengers got off the bus which continued on its route. Two small boys who were standing just behind the bus shelter ran out into the street. My heart nearly jumped out of my body.”

A passerby who identified herself to YNet News only as Tehila, saw the two boys racing across the street hand in hand.

“ The big one was trying to pull the younger one so that they could avoid the bus but the younger one fell at the exact moment that the bus driver was closing the door and started to resume his route. The older brother tried to pick up his younger brother who had fallen. I picked up the older brother with one hand, while holding my baby in my other hand and hugged him and then I saw the bus hit the second child. He was killed in front of my eyes. It was a miracle that the second boy wasn’t killed as well.”

Yisroel Dovid Weingarten was the son of Rabbi Mordechai Chananya Weingarten and the grandson of two well known families in the Rachamstrivska dynasty.  He had just received his first haircut just this past Lag B’Omer and was a student at the Ohr Olam Talmud Torah in Beitar Ilit.

Yisroel Dovid Weingarten died instantly.

“When I got to the accident scene I could see immediately that it was a very difficult situation,” said Ezra Gottleib, a United Hatzalah volunteer and a member of Magen David Adom.  “The boy was killed on the spot near the after school program where he had been staying.  Unfortunately, the emergency rescue team could do no more than to pronounce him dead at the scene because of the injuries he sustained.”

The blond haired child had apparently been crossing the street outside of the crosswalk, according to Aryeh Hirschler, a Zaka volunteer.

“It was a city bus that hit him hard,” said Hirschler.  “I got there with other Zaka volunteers and sadly the boy was no longer breathing.  We are talking about a very serious accident.”

The levaya for Yisroel Dovid Weingarten will take place tonight at 9:30 PM in Jerusalem with burial taking place on Har Hamenuchos.

New York, NY - Detectives from the NYPD are seeking to interview a terror suspect being held by the feds in connection with a brutal stabbing of a 9 year-old Staten... New York - Just over a week after Samsung paid Apple more than $548 million for infringing the patents and designs of the iPhone, Apple has asked a U.S. court to force...

Dec 27, 2015 at 02:08 PM MyThreeCents Says:

I find that Israeli children are much less supervised than American ones. Why are two little boys crossing the street by themselves? Who is watching them? Whenever I visit E"Y I see little children outdoors by themselves with no apparent supervision. I think it is a terrible thing. They go to school by themselves and play outside by themselves. Sometimes I see little tots no more than three yrs. old being led to school by a sibling who doesn't look older than 5 or 6!

Dec 27, 2015 at 03:41 PM Myrak Says:

For Heaven's sake. The city of Beitar is in Israel. Please don't call a city in Israel a "settlement". It is not more a settlement than Washington DC is a settlement/

Dec 27, 2015 at 05:13 PM PASHUT Says:

BD'E. Nebach. The family should not know from more tzar. As for #1 - shame on you. The little 36" body is not yet buried, and that's the best you could come up with? Really - go look in the mirror.

Dec 27, 2015 at 05:38 PM Erlich Says:

PASHUT Says:

Why are you attacking #1? He is trying to prevent future tragedies, R"L.

Dec 27, 2015 at 05:43 PM do not judge, not parents not #1 Says:

Do not dismiss #1, I held back from making such a comment but it needs to be discussed. Things happen. Should we totally rely on miracles or is there some hishtadldus we should have.

Dec 27, 2015 at 06:11 PM zasizest Says:

PASHUT Says:

He is right #1 children shouldn't be crossing that young by themself no matter if the child is buried or not.

Dec 27, 2015 at 06:39 PM Anonymous Says:

PASHUT Says:

It's not shame on #1. He is merely stating a logical and justified concern, one that is seen here in the states as well....while we all even in the phenomenon of large frum families B"H, unfortunately the Parents do seem to rely on babies to supervise younger babies, it can't be denied. In Boro Park, many times you see these kids crossing major avenues, sometimes with the mother wheeling a carriage into traffic against the light, with other youngsters behind her trailing along, and I myself nearly hit one of them when the mother had already crossed (at her red light and my green light!) and wasn't supervising the others behind her! There needs to be more awareness and if it takes a tragedy like this r"l to wake these parents up, then so be it,

Dec 27, 2015 at 07:37 PM Aron1 Says:

MyThreeCents Says:

Thank you for your worthless "3 cents".

Dec 27, 2015 at 09:09 PM old-time-brooklyn Says:

i see near tragedies like this often. I have property near kj. many years ago while in front of the long gone Kmart in Monroe a kid not more than 4 years old was with his sibs riding the mechanical ride in front of the store. Out of the blue he darted into the parking lot and I lunged and grabbed him and pulled him out of the way of a car zooming by. He would have been creamed. the mother could not thank me enough and gave the kid a smack (well desereved perhaps). Point is a kid that young just cannot be left out like that.

Dec 27, 2015 at 10:22 PM Applestein Says:

BDH

Dec 28, 2015 at 02:17 AM lazerx Says:

BD"E

Dec 28, 2015 at 03:15 AM Greener Says:

PASHUT Says:

No. What #1 wrote must be said. A 3 1/2 year old boy "was crossing [the street] with his older brother". The "older brother" is 6 years old. No responsible adult in the vicinity. I see this constantly in Bnai Brak. It must be screamed out.

Dec 28, 2015 at 08:51 AM zelig Says:

Update from Beitar Ilit: At every corner, bus stop and cheder children were escorted or waited for by PARENTS!!!!!! A true first for Beitar.

This little boy may have the zchus to save many others who, until now, were neglected. If the Child Services in Eretz Yisroel would make a spot check on a random day they would round up hundreds if not thousands of kids and ship them to foster homes.
#1 was so absolutely right. Ths is the time to protest in the name of all Yididishe kinderlach. TATTY & MOMMY YOU BROUGHT US INTO THE WORLD. MAKE SURE WE STAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
umesaymim b'tov

Dec 28, 2015 at 08:51 AM Normal Says:

Aron1 Says:

Thank you for your worthless "3 cents".

Ironically it was a guy called Aron who butchered Leiby Kletzky who was I think two years older than the six year old child looking after a four year old. Absolutely ridiculous to basically let a four year old cross a road by himself.

Dec 28, 2015 at 09:53 AM Savta Says:

I live in Ramat Beit shemesh 20 minutes from Beitar. RBS is much busier but I have seen many times 6 year old children literally dragging 2 much younger children, one in each hand, across very busy roads. #1 is 100% right.

Dec 28, 2015 at 11:25 AM Anonymous Says:

Applestein Says:

BDH

Do you know how old his "older sibling" who was entrusted with crossing them both, is? 6! A six year old is left in charge of himself, and much worse, a 3 year old?!?!

Dec 28, 2015 at 11:29 AM Anonymous Says:

This must stop! Every parent must commit to properly supervising their children, and stop relying on your babies o take care of your even younger babies! You have a responsibility to take care of them! If you can't or won't, you don't deserve them! There are many r'l childless couples out there who would make much better Karen's than you! Don't abuse or neglect the privilege and gift Hashem gave you!

Dec 29, 2015 at 04:00 PM Anonymous Says:

Where does it say the older boy was 6? maybe he was much older and just short.