New York - Since Presidential Election Gun Sales Shot Up in US

Published on: November 19, 2008 07:35 AM
By: Birmingham Star

New York - The gun sales have shot in the United States as Americans fear that the Barack Obama Administration will bring stiffer rules for possessing fire arms.

During election week, the FBI did 374,510 background checks on prospective gun owners, compared with 251,804 in the same week last year.
Last month, the G-men did checks on 285,894 people buying handguns, compared with 223,141 in October 2007.
“It is a significant jump,” special agent Jason Pack, told the Daily News.

Obama has vowed to protect gun ownership rights, but as an Illinois state lawmaker, he supported a ban on all forms of semiautomatic weapons and tighter restrictions on firearms.

Bucking the national trend, local New York gun shops report no major rise in business, and cops have seen no big increase in gun permit applications.

“New Yorkers that have guns often get them from other states, Pennsylvania and Florida in particular. New York City has the toughest gun control laws in the nation,” said Evan Thies, a gun control advocate and City Council candidate.

Still, even city gun dealers worry that an Obama presidency will usher in even tougher laws.

Brooklyn, NY - The oft-delayed renovations of J.J. Byrne Park’s handball courts are finally done — and just in time for winter! “It’s great they fixed it... Atlantic City, NJ - A number of local political figures, along with several Holocaust survivors, were present at a press conference on Tuesday afternoon, at a pavilion...

You can now automatically hide comments - New!

Don't worry, you can always display comments when you need to.

Nov 19, 2008 at 09:11 AM Anonymous Says:

I live in Ohio where we have a Concealed Carry law. I applied for my permit 2 weeks after it went into affect and have carried since (@ 5yrs.). Gun ownership is not for everyone. You have to be geshikt and have saichel to even own one, let alone carry one. The criminal will always have access to weapons (even easier that a law abiding citizen) and law enforcement can't be everywhere all the time. The 2nd amendment needs to be supported.
Guns don't kill people....crazy people with guns kill people.

Nov 19, 2008 at 09:26 AM murray Says:

Guns don't kill people....crazy people with guns kill people.

You must be a nut, we are Not living in the old west. The truth is that in an emergency, a real emergency- where Seconds count-the police are just minutes away.

Nov 19, 2008 at 09:43 AM MR. WONDER Says:

murray Says:

IF SECONDS COUNT THEN WHAT WOULD IT HELP IF THEY ARE MINUTES AWAY

Nov 19, 2008 at 09:41 AM Anonymous Says:

I live in New York State and carry a licensed weapon. I agree with you, #1. Its an awsome responsibility to carry a weapon. If you don't absolutely need it, DON'T! Obviously, I do.

Nov 19, 2008 at 09:51 AM sick Says:

this is just plain sick

Nov 19, 2008 at 09:49 AM anon Says:

hey murray don't be so naive wake up and see more people need guns if something what happenned in israel would happen here would you say that oh lets wait for the police to come or would it be better if you had a gun

Nov 19, 2008 at 09:49 AM Anonymous Says:

murray Says:

don't judge if you're not capable of doing so.
If someone breaks into a home the police wouldn't be there for a good 5-7 minutes enough time for the intruder to leave with or without doing serious harm!
I for one have a gun since 9/11 and think it's a smart investment!

Nov 19, 2008 at 09:53 AM Big Masmid Says:

Who needs a gun we need a Tehilim

Nov 19, 2008 at 09:53 AM Anonymous Says:

I agree with #1 and #4. Same here- I live in LAKEWOOD and have my licensed weapon hidden in my home. If there is an intruder in my house- he is not leaving!!!!

Nov 19, 2008 at 10:17 AM murray Says:

don't judge if you're not capable of doing so.
I for one have a gun since 9/11 and think it's a smart investment!

Sorry you guys don't appreciate satire--the whole 'seconds ' vs. 'minutes' deal- i live in FL have a concealled permit, and a Glock model 29 (10mm).

Nov 19, 2008 at 10:13 AM Anonymous Says:

murray Says:

First off why do you have to call him a nut just because you think differently from him, it says a lot about you.

I live in ny and i plan on getting a firearm i think its a important investment and saved lots of life’s for good people in time of need. Police officers deserve respect and appreciation but they are not specially talented people meaning more then us we are all the same as far as using a weapon, i agree that they have better training how to use it but we are not criminals we would only use it for defense so if the intruder or attacker gets killed that was his choice.

To finish off the guy from ohio is not a nut i hope that the name caller is not one of my people because you dont bring us any admiration.

Nov 19, 2008 at 10:46 AM Anonymous Says:

Big Masmid Says:

Who needs a gun we need a Tehilim

I know. If someone breaks into your house with a gun you can whack him with your tehillim.

Nov 19, 2008 at 10:55 AM wow Says:

i wonder what the frum gun ownership and permit stats are.

Nov 19, 2008 at 10:43 AM Anonymous Says:

murray Says:

The problem is that when SECONDS count, the cops are MINUTES away. By that time the person is dead.

Nov 19, 2008 at 11:20 AM Anonymous Says:

wouldend it be a better idea if everone goes around always with a bullet proof vest and a helmet. it sounds like we cant walk on the street.

Nov 19, 2008 at 12:14 PM not good Says:

not good to have so many people with guns and so many houses with guns...

Nov 19, 2008 at 12:14 PM Nice try Says:

The cops have no reponsibility to protect individual citizens. See Miller v. District of Columbia.

"If a person comes to kill you, rise up and kill him"

The anti self-defense crowd is all freiers. Frum Yidden value life.

Nov 19, 2008 at 12:44 PM Meir Tischler Says:

I would like to carry one, can anyone share with me how the procces goes thru?

Nov 19, 2008 at 12:58 PM murray Says:

Meir Tischler Says:

I would like to carry one, can anyone share with me how the procces goes thru?

Where do you live? if its NYC you can just about forget it. Laws vary from state to state, and city to city. Many states are what is called "right to carry" states-it all depends.

Nov 19, 2008 at 12:51 PM Robroy560 Says:

wow Says:

i wonder what the frum gun ownership and permit stats are.

No clue... but My dad and I have been NRA members for years

Nov 19, 2008 at 12:46 PM Elchonon Says:

#1 and #4,
Biggest baloney I ever heard.. all heimishe "mature" men are the worst gun owners / carriers..

I am 23, got my concealed at 21, I carry condition 1 (cocked and locked) its 2-3 seconds from holster to trigger to fire.. and can hit at 30 yards at that draw speed.

Most frum yidden go the range once a yovel.. the guys at big al's in hallendale say that i'm one of very few jews that come and the only one that comes in often.

Since nobama was elected I added an AR-15 and a XD .45 millennium mini handgun to my collection with my eyes on a semi auto shotgun.

Nov 19, 2008 at 01:47 PM Renegade Says:

Elchonon Says:

#1 and #4,

So you think you're the only "heimishe" guy in the country who shoots regularly?
Big Al's in Hallendale is not the only range out there...

I know when I'm able to I go pretty often and i know others that do as well

Did you consider that perhaps #1 & #4 are part of this minority?

btw I do agree with the premise of your statement, for the most part the "heimishe" are among the worst owners / carriers.
if you would've said "MOST heimishe "mature" men" instead of "ALL heimishe "mature" men" I would have no problem...

Nov 19, 2008 at 01:44 PM ProudJew Says:

From Monsey I own a AR-15 and Saiga .223

Nov 19, 2008 at 01:35 PM England has less gun murders Says:

Guns don't kill people....crazy people with guns kill people.

First off you don't have to be normal to obtain a gun; Seung-Hui Cho killed 32 people at Virginia Tech by obtaining a gun legally.

Second criminals will not have access to weapons; all guns come from gun manufactures that sell to distributers who then sell it to gun stores, military and police personnel. Criminals do not make their own guns. If you make it illegal for all people to have guns. Where will criminals get their guns from?

Here is another question I have, why can't I own an AK 47, Grenades or bombs for self defense. Isn't that unconstitutional that I can’t own one?

Nov 19, 2008 at 01:54 PM murray Says:

Renegade Says:

Big Al's in Hallendale is not the only range out there...

I know when I'm able to I go pretty often and i know others that do as well

Did you consider that perhaps #1 & #4 are part of this minority?

Del Rey, and Palm Beach Shooting Centers sees a fair amont of Yidden, and on a fairly consistent basis. Shouldn't generalize.

Nov 19, 2008 at 01:08 PM Daniel in the Forest Says:

I support the second amendment, if for no other reason... NEVER AGAIN.

I don't know what the stats are but I'm not alone:

Nov 19, 2008 at 02:18 PM Anonymous Says:

England has less gun murders Says:

I do own an AK-47 Legally along with many other weapons, hand guns, rifles, shot guns.

Grenades and bombs are made to kill/wound many at a time, not for target practice, hunting or self protection.

The best gun saftey is knowing how to properly handle and use them.

If they did try to ban all guns the only people that wil suffer are the law abiding citizens, because the criminals will always get weapons if they want them.

Nov 19, 2008 at 03:00 PM Guns don't grow on trees Says:

A AK 47 is only legal if it is modified to be a semi automatic. Why can't I own a fully automatic gun in america, isn't that unconstitutional?

If a gang of 20 people with guns invade my house I can run out and throw a gernade in self defence. Gernades should be legal right?

If guns are banned where will criminals get it from? its not like drugs where you can make your own.

Criminals get guns from law abiding citizens who have bought it legally from a store.

Nov 19, 2008 at 02:53 PM murray Says:

Daniel in the Forest Says:

I support the second amendment, if for no other reason... NEVER AGAIN.

I don't know what the stats are but I'm not alone:

No-you certainly are NOT alone. There is an organization called Jewish Gun Owners of America.
"Gun Control is being able to hit your target"

Nov 19, 2008 at 02:40 PM Anonymous Says:

The only reason I voted McCain is to keep my guns.

Nov 19, 2008 at 04:03 PM Anonymous Says:

Guns don't grow on trees Says:

An AK47, M4/AR15 - you are legally allowed to own as long as they are all Semi Automatic, you are able to own fully automatic if you get yourself a "FFFL" dealer license.

If a gang of 20 people sorround your house, you'll be better off with knowing how to take them down with one bullet per person, chances are once one or 2 are dead from single shots they will retreat and run... Anyway what do you do or where do you live that you are worried about 20 people trying to kill you at once???? (maybe thats the problem!!! :)

Criminals will get guns from out of the country if they have to, if htey ban guns there will be a lot more "illeagal" weapons out there because for some reason i think the day after the law goes into effect there will be hundreds if not thousands of police reports for "stolen and or lost" guns.

Nov 19, 2008 at 03:57 PM Anonymous Says:

To all the gun owners who are protecting themselves. How many times since you got your gun have you used it. I mean really use it to protect yourself? or perhaps, how many times have you gone hunting with it?

Anyone.....???

Nov 19, 2008 at 03:56 PM murray Says:

Guns don't grow on trees Says:

Get your facts straight please. You can own , quite legally FULLY AUTOMATIC Weapons, if you are willing to do the "transfer" paperwork, pay the special tax stamp, etc. From seeing your posts I would have to certainly agree that guns are not for you. Now stop your nonsence and leave gun ownership up to the many posters here who are legal, responsible gun owners.
"Pencils are the cause of misspelled words'- Ban pencils, Cars cause people to drive drunk, spoons cause Rosy O Donnel to get fat(ban spoons) Get Real!

Nov 19, 2008 at 04:49 PM Anonymous Says:

If you look at the states and counties that allow people easy access to carry firearms, crime rates dropped once those laws went into effect, because since the chance of the person the criminal might attack may actually have a weapon and be a better shot then him!

Nov 19, 2008 at 04:41 PM Anonymous Says:

Guns don't grow on trees Says:

This is response to #24 as well (I am comment #1)
I own several handguns and one 12 ga. Mossberg 500. I personally see no reason to own a rifle or assault weapon, I don’t hunt, I’m not looking to wipe out my whole block or hit a target from 2000 feet, but I’m not going to ask for them to be illegal! Let’s be practical. I don’t need a hand grenade either. Some drugs used to cure illnesses are legal and some that cure illnesses are not. Because the bad outweighs the good. Guns are no different.
I carry my firearm concealed to work, shopping, shul & carpool to protect my self against the common individual who resorts to violence as away of life. I carry to protect myself against a depressed person who goes to the mall or school to kill his friends for making fun of him and I happen to be in the way. There is nowhere I don’t go without it. There is nothing wrong with one not wanting a firearm in their home, but don’t limit my desire/need to own one. If a firearm is stolen and is used in a robbery or to R”L kill someone maybe there should be some law to make the original owner partly responsible too? I am just making suggestions and thinking about all the possibilities other then BAN BAN BAN.

Nov 19, 2008 at 04:40 PM Anonymous Says:

Guns don't grow on trees Says:

This is response to #24 as well (I am comment #1) guns are brought in illegally from other countries and sold on the black market. Drugs have been illegal for decades and you don’t see them disappearing, do you?
To say manufacturers should be banned from making guns is not a well thought out statement.
The Virginia shooting was a tragedy. There is no question about that. My opinion is to make stricter background checks. If a person is institutionalized or has psycho treatment, the doctor should have to reported to a national sealed, secret file and it will be crossed referenced with the FBI if you register to own a gun.
However if you count the amount of killings done by criminals with illegal guns and the citizens who purchased them legally, there will be no comparison. Criminals have far more violent and deadly crimes.
What if someone legally buys a knife or car and uses it to kill people. Will you ban them as well?

Nov 19, 2008 at 04:52 PM rebbe Says:

theres no reason for anyone , especially a fum yid with children in the house to own a gun.

Nov 19, 2008 at 05:28 PM Anonymous Says:

Anyone.....???

Never drew it and hopefully never will!! I am worried about using it BUT if i have to but i won't hesitate. it's my life or his.

Nov 19, 2008 at 05:25 PM Anonymous Says:

rebbe Says:

More damage is done by a frum yid with tv in the closet then with a gun in a safe.

Nov 19, 2008 at 05:20 PM Guns don't grow on trees Says:

You still haven't answered my question where would criminals get their guns from if it is banned?

My comparison to drugs is criminals can grow it on their own; criminals can't make their own guns. Guns don't grow Criminals get it from someone who bought it legally.

Why can't street criminals get nuclear bombs? Because it's controlled

Guns should be controlled also

Nov 19, 2008 at 06:03 PM Renegade Says:

Guns don't grow on trees Says:

Why can't street criminals get nuclear bombs? Because it's controlled

Guns should be controlled also

I don't even know where to start with this one.

"criminals can't make their own guns. Guns don't grow Criminals get it from someone who bought it legally."
1st of all, technically speaking criminals can make their own guns, but we'll assume for the sake of argument that there's no way for them to get a hold of the technical know-how...

Anywho, back to the point.
Are you suggesting a complete ban on guns in the entire world? Never gonna happen.
even if there was a complete ban in the US, what's to stop criminals from smuggling guns from other country?
Not to mention that there are plenty of illegal guns already out there.

"Why can't street criminals get nuclear bombs? Because it's controlled
Guns should be controlled also"
I hope you're joking and not really as stupid as you sound.

"Gun companies should be allowed to make guns for the military and police only. There should be no possible way for criminals to get a hold of a gun."
Impossible. as long as there are guns in the world criminals will be able to get a hold of them. (remember, we're talking about criminals here, the fact that it's illegal won't stop them, they'll find a way.)

Welcome to the real world.

Nov 19, 2008 at 06:46 PM murray Says:

Anyone.....???

This is a known stat-you can choose to believe it or not- Last year 1 million crimes were prevented in the USA by citizens legally carrying or deploying guns in their home. Doesn't mean they had to shoot or kill someone, just that having the weapon readily available (possibly drawn, or whatever) was enough to get the criminals to cease and desist. No, Not me personnally, but I have friends and relatives that saved their own lives, and that of family members (home invasion) by killing an armed intruder. I hope this answers your question. I believe it is Switzerland , that by law every head of household must have a firearm. Who would want to invade a country where every citizen is going to fight back?

Nov 19, 2008 at 06:57 PM Anonymous Says:

I think that there should be a law that you can only own one gun per house hold period.

You only need one gun two protect yourself and by making a limit it would prevent people that buy guns legally from selling to the black market.

Nov 19, 2008 at 08:10 PM MURRAY Says:

You cannot buy guns "LEGALLY" to sell (illegally) on the Black Market, not technically anyway- the sale from the start is what is known as a "straw purchase" and is Not legal.

Nov 19, 2008 at 10:50 PM Elchonon Says:

If I had time to reply to all the nareshkeit of new yorkers.

#1 I know MANY with full auto weapons.. you only need a simple transfer in florida and register it with the police.. a reason I chose a semi auto ART15 and not full auto M16 since semi auto in florida are not registerd with the government.

#2 if guns were banned, they would be produced simple!!! yes just like drugs are grown and made in labatory's (you dont crow coke or xtc)

The same way alchohol was made during the prohibition.

The same way arab terrorists get weapons, we cant keep track of 11 million mexicans.. whats a few guns ?

I'm not the only frum yid to go shooting at big al's or other places I know that... just sayinbg that people dont go often.

Nov 20, 2008 at 05:48 AM Anonymous Says:

Guns don't grow on trees Says:

Why can't street criminals get nuclear bombs? Because it's controlled

Guns should be controlled also

Criminals are not held back from nuclear because of control. It’s cost. Even other uses of destruction are not a good as a pistol. You are not going to hold up a store with a bomb, or a grenade. You rob them so you can get the money and LEAVE WITH IT, not die in the store too.

Nov 20, 2008 at 02:15 AM elchonon Says:

To the guy that brought up grenades, guns are a individual right protected in the constitution and upheld by the supreme court in the summer. What part of "shall not be infringed" do u not understand??? It does not say anything about 1 gun limit! Today the 2nd amndmnt tomorrow the 1st u only need 1 shul! To rebbe, frum yiden should not drive!

Nov 20, 2008 at 11:13 AM Anonymous Says:

anyway to do a survey and see how many frum ppl have a gun?

Nov 20, 2008 at 11:55 AM Milhouse Says:

Where do criminals get guns? Simple - they steal them. They are criminals, after all. Do you know how many guns are stolen each year, from police alone?

Nov 20, 2008 at 11:49 AM Anonymous Says:

murray Says:

if guns wouldnt be legal, there wouldnt be so many to prevent...

Nov 20, 2008 at 11:46 AM Anonymous Says:

Renegade Says:

I don't even know where to start with this one.

Anywho, back to the point.
Not to mention that there are plenty of illegal guns already out there.

"Why can't street criminals get nuclear bombs? Because it's controlled
Guns should be controlled also"
I hope you're joking and not really as stupid as you sound.

Welcome to the real world.

ur wrong in saying that if only america stops it, it will still be as much... a drug gang that was caught in mexico was found with millions (or maybe billions) of dollars worth in guns "Made In USA"

Nov 20, 2008 at 11:42 AM Anonymous Says:

you shouldnt own either.. guns are begashmius harmful and tvs are beruchnius harmful.. both are harmful!

Nov 20, 2008 at 01:21 PM murray Says:

what is dangerous is narrow minded people like yourself who would given the chance impose your will, and leave us defenseless