Mumbai - Indian Newspaper Publishes A Heartfelt Good Bye Letter To Moshel'e

Published on: December 1, 2008 06:16 PM
By: Times of India

Dear Moshe:

My heart went out to you when I saw you on television, as your Indian nanny carried you out of Nariman House or Chabad House or shall we say Sabbath House, as it was almost the Sabbath, the day of your liberation. It was hard to figure out as to what was going on, as there were so many people around you. You looked visibly frightened. You did not understand what was going on and clung to your nanny, although your eyes were searching for your parents’ comforting presence.

At such a young age, you were already a captive, maybe a tiny hostage in last week’s madness. You must have seen so much, maybe then you were in your mother’s lap and she must have tried to keep you quiet, whispering comforting words in your ears, so that you would not start crying and annoy the terrorists. At that moment you were just a baby not a Jew, as that is how the terrorists had held your family captive, just because they were Jewish. They had tracked down your family’s identity and overnight made you into an orphan. Wonder what made them release you? Did they soften or think that you were a harmless baby or did they want to separate you from your parents, or did they want you to live, so that you would always remember those horrifying days. What a heart-wrenching scene it must have been, to tear you apart from your mother’s bosom. Maybe your parents must have let you go as they wanted to save you from the claws of sure death.

Then there was the passage of time when you left Chabad House with your nanny leaving your parents behind. Till they died, they must have never known if you were alive or dead as there was no way of knowing the truth. Your father was a rabbi, well versed in the Hebrew prayers of life and death, and he must have asked the Lord to protect you from such terrifying violence. They say, the death of your parents was a message to the Jews of the Diaspora. But then, Jews as a race have always faced violence throughout history.

Little Moshe, as you leave India with your grandparents to live in Israel, you will again come face to face with bloodshed and violence. Wonder if you will avenge your parents’ death or will you work for peace?

Your parents named you Moshe, meaning Moses, and your story is similar to the one in the Bible, where Moses was left to drift in the river Nile, to save him from the Pharaoh’s sword and how he became the prince of Egypt and led the Jewish people to freedom. Maybe, you will also choose the path of freedom and peace. Because, you survived in India, the only country in the world where Jews were never persecuted and with your survival, I experience an iota of hope in this terrifying medley of hate, violence and death.

You are just two years old and maybe all you have learnt to say so far, is shalom peace be with you’ .

Jerusalem - A small somber ceremony with several hundred people was held early Tuesday morning at Ben Gurion International Airport for the six people murdered in last... Montgomery, Township, NJ - A standoff at a New Jersey bank is over after police learned a "person" seen inside was actually a full-size cardboard figure. Officers...

Dec 01, 2008 at 06:28 PM merkin Says:

This has brought tears to my eyes. Why do these things happen? There is no answer, only sadness and hope for redemption.

Dec 01, 2008 at 06:37 PM Tearful Says:

May Hashem avenge the blood of his parents.

Dec 01, 2008 at 07:26 PM Anonymous Says:

very well written! moshe,le i hope u gow up and go back to india and follow what ur hold parents did ..

Dec 01, 2008 at 07:24 PM avrumi Says:

i ask were are all these arab countries that are allways saying they want peace you dont here 1 word of condemnation of this unimaginable and dispicable terror .just when israel does anything to protect its citizens from these islamic subhuman savages so called terrorist you here all the dogs from the arab world barking , this comes to show you what kind of hypocrites and jew hatters they are .israel should allways do what they have too to protect its people and let the arabs barking and public opinion be deaffening like its now hashem yinkom dumom we should be zoche to uva letzion goel umen

Dec 01, 2008 at 07:23 PM seicheldig geredt Says:

sorry to tell you guys, this letter did not TOUCH me a bit, it's nicely written however not d'vorim yotz'im min halev. I shed plenty of tears throughout this horrifying days, but this one? NO NO.

Dec 01, 2008 at 07:18 PM yankel Says:

ho wrote this letter ? is thet the indea'n govermant ?

Dec 01, 2008 at 07:11 PM R Says:

A heartrending tragedy, our hearts are shattered and our tears wont subside...
To the Rosenberg and Holtzberg families, may Hashem give you the strength to carry on. Albeit their untimely and horrific deaths, I have been so touched by Gavriel and Rivkah's life story.. the selflessness, the perseverence, emunah, simcha, being unafraid of taking on a challenge and most of all - remembering what we are here for, whats important and not to be stupid about the stupid things in life.. They were young in age, however giant in achievements. I, and I'm sure many others, will carry their memories forever, and I hope you can find some comfort in knowing that.
To little Moishele - I will think of you as I think of my children when I light candles on Friday night.. and I have this little feeling that you will make your parents in shomayim very very proud. Chazak!

Dec 01, 2008 at 07:07 PM 5cents Says:

How can a person read this and not shed a stream of tears?

Yhu rutzoin shtusim dimusainu b'noidchu lihyois, vsolichainu koimemiyois towards moshiach...

Dec 01, 2008 at 07:06 PM Avrohom Says:

The tragic event in India brought about a great achdus bettween all yidden. To continue in this special spirit of achdus, I am starting a campaign to promote achdus and ahavas yisroel thru ads in the major jewish weekly newspapers. This will be done leeluy Nishmas the Kedoshim killed in India.

The ads will feature a Maamar Chazal on the importance of achdus, Shalom and Ahavas Yisroel. Please help sponsor a ad. It could be a company sponsorship so your company will be mentioned as the sponsor. I can not do this without your help.

To sponsor a ad, or suggest a maamar chazal, you may email me at achdusnow@gmail.com or call 718 954 2210.

Avrohom Rotban
Staten Island

Dec 01, 2008 at 07:04 PM Anonymous Says:

"Little Moshe, as you leave India with your grandparents to live in Israel, you will again come face to face with bloodshed and violence. Wonder if you will avenge your parents' death or will you work for peace?"

“Maybe, you will also choose the path of freedom and peace”.

I'm sorry if i see things a little different than the VIN staff, but to me this is not a "heartfelt goodbye" to moshele, this is a politically correct message begging him not to be evil by wanting to avenge his parents' blood thru the killing of the innocent and peace loving Muslims, but to rather seek peace and forgive these SUBHUMAN SADISTIC BEASTS.

And of course it also alludes to the Palestinians which moshele should also understand that their suffering is the Israeli’s fault and he should seek peace with them too.

Give me a break; if you're capable of reading between the lines, you can see the whole message in the above quoted sentences.

This is the same old message of all the PEACE NOW insane idiots.

Sorry if i'm wrong but this is just the way i see it.

Dec 01, 2008 at 07:03 PM Anonymous Says:

Beautiful letter.

To the most famous nanny in the world: You should be blessed with all God's blessings.

Dec 01, 2008 at 06:57 PM Anonymous Says:

It is written with heart and truth. Because how many countries can write: we are the only country who never persecute the Jews?! That's unbelievable. We to remember them.

Dec 01, 2008 at 06:55 PM In awe Says:

I could not have written a better letter myself!!

Anyone know who the auther is?

Dec 01, 2008 at 06:54 PM Anonymous Says:

Dear Moshe,
Your cries for "Abba" and "Imma" have been heard all over the world. You have with your pure tearful innocence awakened Klal Yisroel to cry together for "Abba" and "Imma". May the tefillos and achdus your cries created, be a shmira for you until the day that you are re-united with your Abba and Imma.

Dec 01, 2008 at 06:50 PM Anonymous Says:

thank you for publishing this but please remember the others who were killed the other yiden please let us hear about them as well.may H" protect and keep a safe eye on Klal Yisrael now and always

Dec 01, 2008 at 06:48 PM wow Says:

well said

Dec 01, 2008 at 06:47 PM Anonymous Says:

Dealing with Indian businesses is mostly a pleasure. An honorable decent people. It is no surprise that Jews have not been persecuted there.

Dec 01, 2008 at 07:41 PM Kalte Litvak Says:

It made me cry. Well written

Dec 01, 2008 at 07:07 PM Big Masmid Says:

only Hashem can heel the pain and he will

Dec 01, 2008 at 07:58 PM Nechamah Says:

Anonymous #10; I am known to give the benefit of the doubt and look for the good, but I thought exactly the same as you. The writer is making it seem that the yetom ought to make a choice, and that avenging dam is not the way. There is no peace with these creatures.

Dec 01, 2008 at 07:57 PM Anonymous Says:

Forgive me if I'm wrong as I have not read or heard from him on the subject.Why is this the first time in two years Obama has nothing to say?

Dec 01, 2008 at 08:15 PM Anonymous Says:

Moshele,
I can't help but make a comparison of you to Moshe Rabeinu. Just like he was pulled out from sure death and led the yidden out of golus mitzrayim, so too, you, were pulled out "misheeseeyou" from certain death by your nanny and you should be zocheh to take us out of this golus bimheiro !!

Dec 01, 2008 at 09:15 PM Anonymous Says:

the terrorrosts were probably pakis and not indians whoare, by nature, more kind.

Dec 01, 2008 at 09:02 PM Anonymous Says:

as time goed by amd people will naturally forget ...let us remember to daven for moshe tzvi ben rivka and his grandparents and families for much nechama, hatzlacha and bracha!
i have not been able to stop crying since wednesday....i feel like im obseesed...but we should be...one of our brothers is insuch pain....moshe'le crying for his ima, not knowing why she isnt there to comfort him..how can we not shed streams of teras? how can we just dismiss it and say.."nebach" and move on.. (as several of my friends have said) this is a tzara for the klal...and we have to take some sort of message to heart......and we have to daven for thefamilies involved... may HKB"H send them all a nechama, yeshua, mazel and simcha! Hashem is their father now...may he have rachmanus on them and all of us and bring mashiach to reunite us with the korbanos.
the pain is just unbearable!!

Dec 01, 2008 at 08:59 PM Anomymous Says:

That video on the home page of Moshe just makes you cry. How he cries for his Ima... Heartbreaking!

Dec 01, 2008 at 08:57 PM Anonymous Says:

“Maybe, you will also choose the path of freedom and peace”.

This is the same old message of all the PEACE NOW insane idiots.

Sorry if i'm wrong but this is just the way i see it.

What an imagination! Why don't you just read it as it is. The fact that it seeks peace does not mean it refers to Palestinians. Peace is a good thing. Hashem Oz LeAmo Yitein, Hashem Yevoraich es Amo BASHOLOM

Dec 01, 2008 at 08:55 PM Anonymous Says:

Obama has had plenty to say, plenty of heartfelt and inspiring words. You just have to spend about 15 seconds of your time to search the Internet and find something. Or is it just easier to sit and kvetch?

Dec 01, 2008 at 08:49 PM Anonymous Says:

Nechamah Says:

Agreed. It's very hard to miss that message between those lines.

Dec 01, 2008 at 08:46 PM Anonymous Says:

Is not the KOIS already full ??

Dec 01, 2008 at 09:44 PM Anonymous Says:

According to micheal savage, moshele was not seen by the terrorists because his mother's body covered him when they shot her that's why he was covered in blood. After a little while moshele freed himself from underneath his mother and miraculasly was not seen by the terrorists only by the nanny. Had the terrorists seen moshele they would have killed him. SOPLEASE STOP MAKING IT SOUND LIKE THE MUSLEM TERRORISTS HAD FEELINGS OF MERCY TORWARDS MOSHELE! THESE ANIMALS HAVE NO MERCY!!!!!!!!!

Dec 01, 2008 at 10:09 PM Michael Says:

“Maybe, you will also choose the path of freedom and peace”.

This is the same old message of all the PEACE NOW insane idiots.

Sorry if i'm wrong but this is just the way i see it.

I agree with you completely.

Dec 01, 2008 at 10:52 PM Ehrliche Yiddena Says:

Dear Yiden,
As people all over the world are numb and are trying to make sense of the tragedy that occured in Mumbai, India recently I have penned a few words of chizuk to help stop the flowing river of tears and put those forces to use and turn our tears into positive energy

Kinderlech, Kinderlech, ehrliche teire yiddishe kinder, hold on, wipe your tears, they are not in vain, Hashem hears us, he hears our teffilos and is crying together with us. The time is very close. It will be very good, as I have recently gone to the Yortzeit of My Father in Eretz Yisroel and went to visit the heilige Rebbitzen of Reb Chaim Kanievsky( who recently had a dream that he must publicize that the time is very close and we must do tshuvah because Moshiach is coming )and the Rebbitzen placed her hands on me, hugged me and told me in yiddish...Dont worry, mein teire kinde, es geit zein zeir git, di vest zein, es geit zein zeyer zeyer git!

These are the birth pangs of Moshiach, just as one who is in labor and feels as if the pain is so terrible it cant get any worse and then a beautiful child is born, so is it with us! The pangs before the coming of Moshiach are so hard, unbearable and painful, however PREPARE YOURSELVES....Moshiach is going to come....Prepare yourselves, Do tshuvah, dont you see Hashem is waiting for us....Dry your tears, everyone take upon yourselves one extra thing you can do, Just start with one thing and TOGETHER WE WILL BRING MOSHIACH..................

Dec 01, 2008 at 10:33 PM Anonymous Says:

seicheldig geredt Says:

but that picture for sure did me

Dec 01, 2008 at 10:33 PM YouKlutz Says:

seicheldig geredt Says:

My dear brothers and sisters: We need to bear arms just like in the time of Moses and Tenach. Hashem 'helps' the ones who are 'willing to fight for righteousness' "Haboo lehurguch..Hashkem lehurgoy" how are you gonna kill them..with tehillim??

Dec 01, 2008 at 10:30 PM Miss Williamsburg Says:

Avrohom from Staten Island. I certainly applaud you for your virtuous undertaking. The Achdus that Klal Yisroel is showing at this time is amazing. Let's keep it up. Hashem Please come and join your children who stand united -B'Achdus-as one, by bringing the Geulah Shelaimah B'korov!!

Dec 01, 2008 at 11:09 PM Anonymous Says:

Ehrliche Yiddena Says:

Dear Yiden,

Very well said. we all agree and waiting

Dec 01, 2008 at 11:39 PM Antelope110 Says:

Wow, you're right...

Dec 02, 2008 at 12:25 AM Anonymous Says:

Jews should not be in India or other such dangerous places without real security endangering their families over giving a hasgocha for mushrooms. Arent there enough mushrooms in America.

Dec 02, 2008 at 12:39 AM rabbi shlita Says:

Jews have lived in India since the times of Mordechai Vaester ! So chill!

Dec 02, 2008 at 12:22 AM Anonymous Says:

exactly where did obhama say anything i have been searching cnn and fox and cant find a thing please let me know i would love to hear what he had to say thanks

Dec 02, 2008 at 01:38 AM Anonymous Says:

Standing at the PC and crying!!!

Dec 02, 2008 at 06:27 AM merkin Says:

Ehrliche Yiddena Says:

Dear Yiden,

Let's hope so lady.

Dec 02, 2008 at 01:55 PM Anonymous Says:

Today, every Jew is shedding tears