Brooklyn, NY - Child Hit By Car After Running Out Into BP Street

Published on: April 20, 2016 05:14 PM

Brooklyn, NY - A 6 year old boy is in critical but stable condition in a Brooklyn hospital after being struck by a car this afternoon in Borough Park.

Police said that the boy darted into the street from between two cars without warning at approximately 3:15 PM.  The child, a Borough Park resident, was struck by a black Lexus traveling southbound in front of 1350 54th Street.

The boy was thrown underneath a parked vehicle from the impact, according to witnesses.

EMS crews responding to the scene freed and transported the child to Lutheran Hospital. The boy suffered head trauma in the accident, police said. The driver of the Lexus remained on scene and cooperated with police.

The NYPD’s Collision Investigation Squad is continuing its investigation at this time. Police said that it appears likely that no charges will be filed in the connection with the incident.

San Diego - U.S. authorities said Wednesday that they discovered a cross-border tunnel that ran a half-mile from a Tijuana house equipped with a large elevator to a lot... Jerusalem - Israel provides Jordan and Egypt with intelligence assistance in their fight against Islamic State, a senior Israeli military officer said on Wednesday...

Apr 20, 2016 at 06:09 PM Anonymous Says:

This bot should have a refua shelaima. And many parents needs to reevaluate how they handle the safety of their children.

Apr 20, 2016 at 07:46 PM Anonymous Says:

I live in Ramapo and most of my new neighbors allow their kids under 7 or 8 to play in the streets without any supervision. I have knocked on their doors and explained how dangerous this is, but they ignore me. Today there were about 15 kids from different families playing in the middle of the street. These kids attend yeshiva without fire alarms and then they return home to more danger. They just can't win.

Apr 20, 2016 at 09:59 PM googleface Says:

Offer to watch the kids on these bizi days..... X worry they have smoke alarms.. If some x have wanna offer to sponsor...since u sound sooo concerned?

Apr 20, 2016 at 10:27 PM Anonymous Says:

I am not pleased about the comments that already appear here, and are typical for articles about such tragedies. Get over it. Accidents happen. They are tragic, horrible, and thrust the family and usually others into terrible pain. But we need to recognize that accidents happen. The rush to start heaping blame on parents, yeshivas, etc. is uncalled for, and is usually wrong. With the best parents, the most careful and caring, accidents happen. I will get nauseous if commenters here start taking about ruchniyus causes, as if they know the insides of how HKB"H operates. I can accept a suggestion about how we should improve ourselves as a zechus for this child, and as a protection from other future troubles. But there is no navi around who can tell us specifics. If we did have a navi, I seriously doubt he would be posting on the internet.

Apr 20, 2016 at 10:32 PM J Says:

Please daven for Berish ben Chana Rivka for a refuah shleima

Apr 21, 2016 at 08:57 AM reply to anon #4 Says:

The issue is not whether you are pleased.
After accidents like this I always refrain from leaving the kneejerk comment about watching kids, etc.
I try not to add pain but the issue still remains, parents are allowing their children to be involved in risky situations. As a parent I really want to say, have as many kids as you can handle, and possibly not more.

Apr 21, 2016 at 09:07 AM Hakohen Says:

I've been a licensed driver for over 50 years, and I'm very grateful that I've never struck a pedestrian. About eight years ago, I was driving down a residential street, and was not going more than 20 miles per hour; all of a sudden, this boy, no older than 7 years old came darting into the middle of the street. I jammed on my brakes, and Boroch Hashem, I stopped just in time. The kid just stood there grinning at me. I was so upset at that near tragedy, that I regretfully lost my cool, and shouted out some words, which I should not have said. At that instance, the boy's Mother yelled at him, and told him to get into their house. Believe it or not, about two week later, in the same area, I saw the same kid still playing in the street. In the old days, the parents would have taught that kid a lesson that he would never have forgotten. Today, it is a much different story. Incidentally, also in that same area, there was an irresponsible pet owner with many cats. One day, a cat also darted into the middle of the street. I also jammed my brakes on, and thankfully missed that case. As with the Mother of the young boy, the pet owner was equally irresponsible.

Apr 21, 2016 at 09:38 AM HeshyEmes Says:

Hakohen Says:

About 2 years ago I was driving on 49th st from 13th to 12th Ave, and a 2 Year old was walking in the street, barefoot. I knocked on several doors, found his mother who was sleeping, didn't know that her son had left, and took him in & closed the door. She didn't seem too upset, didn't thank me nor apologize. I wonder if I should have taken the child to the police precinct instead?

Apr 21, 2016 at 10:28 AM Anonymous Says:

googleface Says:

I watch my own kids. One of the reasons I don't have 15 kids is so I am able to control the number I have. I'm just as busy as the moms who allow their toddlers to play in the streets unsupervised.

Apr 21, 2016 at 11:17 AM kenyaninwhitehouse Says:

oy vey, daven is all I can say, now is not a time to be judgemental.

Apr 21, 2016 at 11:38 AM Anonymous Says:

googleface Says:

You sound very SARCASTIC not nice before Pesach.

Apr 21, 2016 at 11:39 AM Anonymous Says:

HeshyEmes Says:

You did the right thing. If you would have taken him to the cops, you would have been viewed as a suspected kidnapper for your trouble.

Apr 21, 2016 at 11:40 AM Anonymous Says:

What a holier than thou comment. The commentators are just trying to prevent even one needless tragedy from happening. Get off your high horse.

Apr 22, 2016 at 05:31 AM Rainbow18 Says:

Unfortunately accidents happen even when parents are around. Ryan Cruz, a 3 yr old non-jewish boy darted into the street and was killed instantly. His mom received only love & support (babyboybakery is her blog). I don't know why everyone is rushing to point fingers. Also, some parents with 15 kids are more responsible than parents with way less so these comments are juvenile. Does anyone know how Berish -n chana rivka is doing?