Howell, NJ - 911 Call, Store Footage Released In Lakewood Area Hot Car Rescue

Published on: September 1, 2016 01:17 PM

Howell, NJ - Three days after a Lakewood baby was rescued by a pair of good Samaritans after being left in a hot car, video footage and audio have been released of the dramatic encounter.

As previously reported on VIN News(http://goo.gl/YUz2wd), 33 year old Karen Gruen of Lakewood was charged with child endangerment on Monday after allegedly leaving her four month old daughter alone in her car on a hot summer day while she shopped with two other children.

According to ABC News, it was Sara Mazzone who first heard the baby crying in the Route 9 parking lot.  Walking over to the vehicle, whose engine was off and windows were closed, she saw the infant strapped into her car seat and covered by a blanket.  Mazzone began to panic and retired police officer Steve Eckel came over to offer his assistance, placing a 911 call at 12:54 PM.

“I’m in front of Kohl’s in Howell, New Jersey,” Eckel told the 911 operator. “I got an infant in a car, locked car, Nissan Sentra blue…I don’t want to smash the window myself, I am a retired officer with a baby in the car.  Can you send somebody?”

As Eckel and Mazzone waited for help to come, they became alarmed by the baby’s condition which appeared to be deteriorating.

“Breathing quickly, hyperventilating and clearly in distress,” said Mazzone.

Realizing that they had no choice but to act, Eckel grabbed a sledgehammer from his car and broke the car’s front passenger window, giving them ability to remove the baby from the back seat.

Eckel’s daughter shared her father’s act of heroism on TwitterEckel’s daughter shared her father’s act of heroism on Twitter

Video surveillance obtained from Kohl’s shows Eckel and Mazzone rushing into the store’s front vestibule carrying a car seat.  Eckel sat down on a bench and began undressing the baby in the hopes of being able to cool her down in the air conditioned area.

Police and paramedics arrived shortly thereafter and Gruen was arrested by police when she returned to her car.  She was released pending a future court date.

Two of Eckel’s daughters shared their father’s act of heroism on Twitter.  Carissa Eckel tweeted “my dad just smashed open a window with a sledgehammer and saved a baby hysterically crying by itself in a car” while her sister Courtney wrote “My dad is a local celeb! Definitely something to be proud of as a daughter. Saved a baby from a car in the heat!”

According to the Asbury Park Press, this was the second time this summer that a baby was left in a hot car in the same shopping center but Sergeant Gregory Staffordsmith of the Lakewood Police Department said he had no details on the earlier incident.

London - Apple's chief executive says the company has put aside "several billion dollars" to pay tax liabilities in the United States as it repatriates some of its huge... Germany - Germany's military launched a pilot project Thursday to help Syrian refugees learn civil reconstruction skills, in hopes that they will eventually be able to...

Sep 01, 2016 at 02:07 PM glassxxman Says:

I cannot think of the toeles which permitted the publication of this Torah-mother's name. Isn't the sharing of publicly available information with me still lashon hara if I have no conceivable need to know it? Suppose it is known all over City X that frum Mr. A is a compulsive shoplifter (kleptomaniac). Is it permissible for me to tell persons in City Y (where Mr. A never goes) that he has this problem? I don't live in Lakewood and this publicly shamed lady will never drive my children.

Sep 01, 2016 at 03:33 PM savtat Says:

Thank God that this baby was saved. This man noticed and he was the agent to save the baby. Baruch Hashem.

Sep 01, 2016 at 04:17 PM c Says:

glassxxman Says:

A baby almost does and you're worried about whether or not this is loshon hara! You think that's normal?

Sep 01, 2016 at 05:08 PM Anonymous Says:

glassxxman Says:

I think I may have been the first to say this mother should be in jail. But I have to agree.... it was not necessary to give her name.

Sep 01, 2016 at 07:12 PM Sammy Says:

glassxxman Says:

Just curious. What's a torah-mother? If it would be a non-torah-mother, are there no halachos of loshon horah?

Sep 01, 2016 at 09:36 PM Imagine if it was a shoplifter Says:

Aside from all the stupidity of some on this issue, now we get post #1.
Yes, if it was a shoplifter and the info was known to be true it should be publicized even if you think the shoplifter will not go to another town. My family's business was victimized by a shoplifter that dressed frum and davened in frum Shuls. It is not up to me to say if she was actually Frum but the misguided secrecy that cost many merchants money was not frum, it was krum.

Sep 01, 2016 at 09:41 PM lbk-new Says:

c Says:

The baby didn't die and I think the mother is thanking g-d every minute that he sent these to rescue her baby. The mother is now suffering from consequences of her mistake, although the consequences could have been much worse. There is no reason for a frum website to publish her name and add to her pain.

Sep 01, 2016 at 10:36 PM Anonymous Says:

She's a teacher and the parents should know to keep their kinder out of her classroom.

Sep 02, 2016 at 12:35 AM IK Says:

c Says:

Firstly 2 wrongs don't make 1 right and 2nd: This is not the first lashan hara etc on this site, this is just accumulating anger and astonishment how a supposedly Jewish site can post pure mocking posts of fellow Jews, when its clearly against the torah way !!

Sep 02, 2016 at 12:51 AM ConcernedMember Says:

glassxxman Says:

Any concern about the Torah-child? (Whatever you meant by that). This was nearly a case of criminally negligent homicide if not for the mercy of HKBH who sent someone to see the child. No excuses, nothing.

Sep 02, 2016 at 09:23 AM zeesh-nj Says:

amusing how we are discussing whether her name should be revealed or not (it shouldn't) but none of us are using our real names.

Sep 02, 2016 at 11:47 AM Open-Your-Eyes Says:

glassxxman Says:

That's why the Chofetz Chaim was so against newspapers. I suggest that you stop browsing the Internet altogether, and especially the news channels. Yes, you can see loshon horah, watch out!

Another suggestion; before reading you should say al-menas sheloy lekabel...

Sep 02, 2016 at 11:30 AM Open-Your-Eyes Says:

Sammy Says:

Oy! How can you not know that the Torah was given to Lakewood?? A Torah Mother means a mother from Lakewood