Chester, NY - Menorah Candle Accident Destroys Rabbi's House
Firefighters were called to 22 Lincoln Road, in a 2 story development off Lakes Road and Wilson Road, just before 2 a.m. when they arrived, flames were already shooting through the roof.
The rabbi was home with his wife, Beatrice, at the time. He tried to extinguish the fire and was treated for smoke inhalation.
Chester firefighters transmited a 2nd alarm, and were assisted at the scene by firefighters from Monroe, Lakeside and Greenwood Lake, while Warwick and Goshen firefighters provided standby crews to cover the Chester firehouses.
Laskin, the rabbi at Ahavas Torah in Monroe, was once principal of the now-closed Hebrew Day School of Orange County in Middletown.
Neighbors said the couple is staying with family in New Jersey.
More of today's headlines“Netivot, Israel - An Israeli man was killed in the southern town of Netivot on Saturday by a rocket fired by terrorists inside the Gaza Strip. Bebert Vaknin, 58, was...” Netivot, Israel - Man Killed by Gaza Rocket “An outsider visiting Crown Heights might be forgiven for thinking that the women in the ultra-Orthodox neighborhood represent the height of modesty. But some in the...” Crown Heights, NY - Decline In Modesty Prompts Lubavitcher Community To Call For More 'Tznius'