New York - Anti-Semitic Graffiti Warns Jews Not Welcome In Outskirts Of Ramapo

Published on: November 14, 2016 01:02 PM

New York - Residents of a quiet street in the northeastern section of Ramapo woke up to a disturbing sight in the early morning hours: hand written graffiti, bearing the words “No Jews.”

The anti-Semitic message was scrawled in front of two residences on Cartaret Drive in Pomona.  Both homes are on the market, with a sale reportedly pending on one of the two properties.  Ironically, one of the homes targeted, 6 Cartaret Drive, is located directly across from a street whose name, Skokie Lane, evokes memories of the 1977 Nazi march through the Chicago town by the same name.

A Rand Realty real estate sign on the corner of Cartaret Drive and Conklin Road was also similarly defaced.  Currently, there is only one Orthodox Jewish family on Cartaret Drive.

The Ramapo Police Department responded to the scene at approximately 2 AM and have begun a preliminary investigation.

Dassi Mytelka, who lives nearby, said that there are just a handful of Orthodox Jewish residents in the area which is close to the Clarkstown border and not far from another newly established Jewish neighborhood.  Mrs. Mytelka said that this is the first anti-Semitic incident she has experienced since moving to the area two months ago.

“The neighbors have all been warm and welcoming,” Mrs. Mytelka told VIN News.

Just over two miles away, New City resident Debra Inger said that she and her family have experienced multiple incidents of anti-Semitism during the 16 years they have lived in the area.

Inger said that she and her daughter have both had eggs thrown at them.

“We get screamed at, ‘Go back to Monsey,’ and ‘Get the (obscenity) out of New City,’” said Mrs. Inger.

Brooklyn, NY - Police in New York on Monday were investigating two cases involving swastikas drawn or painted in public spaces, as civil rights activists said there had... Jerusalem - Following the approval Sunday of the so-called Muezzin bill of Bayit Yehudi MK Moti Yogev for a preliminary reading in the Knesset, activists on both sides...

Nov 14, 2016 at 02:10 PM Anonymous Says:

This is very upsetting as a resident of Ramapo however, I can understand how it's happening. My neighborhood is slowing changing to former Monsey residents and they refuse to follow local laws. Trash cans are at the driveways for 7 days, strollers and bikes are strewn all over the lawn, grass remains uncut until the owners are warned by the town to cut. Plus, the worst part is when we say hello or good shabbos, they look straight through us like we don't exist!!!! I lost 11 immediate family members in Germany, and as a Jewish resident, I resent not to be acknowledged when I smile at them.

Nov 14, 2016 at 03:05 PM RobertS Says:

How are they supposed to know how many family members you lost in the Shoah, or even that you are Jewish? Did you introduce yourself or welcome them when they moved in? Just curioius.

Nov 14, 2016 at 05:27 PM Anonymous Says:

RobertS Says:

Yes, with a bottle of Manishevitz

Nov 14, 2016 at 05:50 PM German in the WH Says:

"I lost 11 family members in Germany" Good Morning. 70 years later We elected a German for President. Many Yiden voted for this German.

Nov 14, 2016 at 05:53 PM NoMan Says:

RobertS Says:

Are you implying that Jews need be civil only toother Jews, or those that lost family in the Shoah? If someone says "Good Shabbos" a simple "Gut Shabbos" in return isn't appropriate?

That's not the example Chazal set for us!

Further - I can testify, that walking home from shul with my wife on Shabbos morning - black velvet yarmulka and sheitel - plenty of frummies won't return a Gut Shabbos! Is civility reserved only for one's own circle?

Nov 14, 2016 at 06:18 PM Sholi-Katz Says:

This person is Right. Lately, Mosey is turning out like Brooklyn. No "Good Shabbos" as you pass another frum Yid. Until now the only one who did not say Good Shabbos back to me, was our esteemed Rebbitzen, and I understand her - Vos fhar a ponim hut dos. If you are stopped by a red light and don't floor it the very second the light changes you get a horn in your back. Same animals from Brooklyn.
We killed our own neighborhood with this illegal multiple family homes. What I can't understand why we listen to the Rabbonim and vote the same bums in again and again, because the "Rabbonim Know Better" claiming everyone else is the biggest Anti-Semite in the world. You also have a few "Askonim Clowns" that feed into this.
I ask - who are bigger Anti-Semite's than those that are destroying our community? - including the Rabbonim that tell us how to "vote min ha'Torah". Don't think for one second the Rabbonim have you in mind, all they want is more "fleish" in their shuls.
as people translate into money.... Remember always follow the money!

Nov 14, 2016 at 06:27 PM puppydogs Says:

Anti Semitic attacks are at record high under the Obama administration.

Nov 14, 2016 at 07:31 PM Anonymous Says:

Yes, with a bottle of Manishevitz

Maybe that's why.

Nov 14, 2016 at 08:27 PM Anonymous Says:

There is such a thing known as being neighborly which includes at the very least a smile when someone says "good shabbos" to a former Monsey resident who lives on the same street. I was always taught it was a mitzvah to smile. These new families gladly trespass through our backyards yet refuse to acknowledge us as people. They gladly step on our flowers and when it's not shabbos, push their strollers through our trees.

Nov 14, 2016 at 08:45 PM Liepa Says:

Sholi-Katz Says:

as people translate into money.... Remember always follow the money!

You are really on a rambling on, roll. Not sure when the last time you were in Brooklyn for a Shabbos however, wherever I am on Shabbos I always get a reply back of , 'Gut Shabbos' . Sorry but I think you're out of touch with reality !!!

Nov 14, 2016 at 08:46 PM Liepa Says:

Sholi-Katz Says:

as people translate into money.... Remember always follow the money!

Not responding to 'Gut Shabbos' must be a Monsey thing !!!