Jerusalem - Rabbi Convicted Of Sexual Abuse Admits In Biblical Times He Would Have Been Put To Death

Published on: November 22, 2016 11:20 AM
Rabbi Eliezer Berland covers himself with his talit at the Magistrate Court in Jerusalem, as he is put on trial for sexual assault charges, on November 22, 2016.  Photo by Yonatan Sindel/ Flash90 Rabbi Eliezer Berland covers himself with his talit at the Magistrate Court in Jerusalem, as he is put on trial for sexual assault charges, on November 22, 2016.  Photo by Yonatan Sindel/ Flash90

Jerusalem - Less than one week after being convicted on two counts of sexual assault, a well known Breslover rabbi has expressed remorse for his actions and been sentenced to a relatively light prison term.

As previously reported on VIN News (http://bit.ly/2fnzK1j), Rabbi Eliezer Berland accepted a plea bargain agreement on two counts of indecent assault involving two different women.  The 79 year old was also convicted on a single charge of assault against one of his followers who went public with claims of abuse against Rabbi Berland.

Rabbi Berland publicly admitted his guilt today just before his plea bargain was approved, reported Arutz Sheva.

“I regret, from the deepest part of my heart, and apologize to everyone I hurt, man or woman, male or female,” said Rabbi Berland.

After fleeing Israel in 2013, Rabbi Berland criss-crossed the globe hoping to evade Israeli authorities, spending time in the United States, Italy, Switzerland, the Netherland, Morocco, Zimbabwe and South Africa. He was finally extradited to Israel in July and taken into custody by Israeli authorities. Rabbi Berland was sentenced to 18 months in prison but will be credited for the time he has already served.

Rabbi Berland acknowledged that his sentence was relatively light.

“For the things I did, back in Biblical days, they would have stoned me or burned me to death,” said Rabbi Berland.  “But today they’re lenient in the punishments and I want to keep this agreement.”

London - Donald Trump has a plan for making the vaunted relationship between Britain and the U.S. even more special: Make the impish acting leader of the UK Independence... Washington - Still sifting through the wreckage of the Nov. 8 election, Democratic leaders nationwide are struggling to find a new message to claw back support and avoid...

Nov 22, 2016 at 11:31 AM Yossi Says:

i really don't understand. His followers all along claimed that this is a blood libel against Rabbi Berland and now he admits to his crimes.
It's not only that he pleaded Guilty but claims in time of Bais Hamikdosh he would have been stoned,that means he claims he did all those charges,so why did he run in the first place. What will his followers say now?

Nov 22, 2016 at 12:01 PM Anonymous Says:

Yossi Says:

If you know anything about plea agreements, they have to admit guilt in order to get a lighter sentence, which you probably would have got me much more severe one if he continued to plead innocent.

Nov 22, 2016 at 12:37 PM thetruthis Says:

Yossi Says:

You really don't understand?! Or are u being mis'kabeid bi'klon chaveiro? Instead of making a big deal out of it, everyone (myself included) should take this story as a lesson of how important it is to be vigilant against the Yetzer Ha'rah.

Nov 22, 2016 at 12:43 PM MDG Says:

He may have to pleaded guilt to get a lighter sentence, but he did not have to elaborate.

Nov 22, 2016 at 01:01 PM Anonymous Says:

yes you are correct that he way to play the system is to show remorse, but one does nt have to go to such extremes by sating he would have been stoned.

I think its assur to wear talis and tefilin all day if you have such unpour thoughts.

Nov 22, 2016 at 01:31 PM Applestein Says:

Why the tallis ? a little more chillul hashem

Nov 22, 2016 at 02:46 PM BTDT Says:

To 4, 5, & 6 - agreed. This creep deserves life in prison (although at his age, it may be the case.) He is a disgusting cult leader - I feel as sorry for all those who were fooled by this nasty conman as I do for his victims. They must be in a real state of shock... and they now need deprogramming. Not only was I in a situation where I needed some help, I have been involved in deprogramming cult victims. These people are going to be in bad shape. My advice is their families should get a professional deprogrammer to deal with it.

Nov 22, 2016 at 02:48 PM Moose Says:

I'm really taken aback by his misuse and bizoyen of the tails and Tfillin.
Also -stoning?
Is he an am haeretz also?
Capital punishment is only with a married women - and even that only full abuse.
Also stoning is not the punishment - only Chenek.
I can't get over seeing him in that talis. Yuck!!!!

Nov 22, 2016 at 04:18 PM Sholi-Katz Says:

To everyone that shouts - the only law in Israel Is the Torah, Why are you not screaming and carrying on that he should be taken out and stoned to death. You want to have it both ways - use the system when it is benefits you ($$ - the Torah never imposed to take hard earned money from someone else to give to the "Liedigeyers") and then abuse the system by citing the Torah "we can't go to the Army" Anyway I have wrote a very interesting piece about Berland in the "ThinkingYid.com"

Nov 22, 2016 at 04:57 PM Mayer Alter Says:

Rabbi Berland Shlita is indeed innocent. He made a plea bargain and wants to make sure it is not challenged so he is going the extra mile to make it seem like it is genuine. I know though that he is a true tzaddik as do many thousands of those who also follow him and will continue to do so, ad bias hamoshiach.

Nov 22, 2016 at 06:51 PM Anonymous Says:

Mayer Alter Says:

Then he is a liar. A liar is not a true tzaddik. A person may not lie to get out of jail.

Nov 22, 2016 at 09:39 PM Esther Says:

Mayer Alter Says:

Refuah shlaimah.

Nov 23, 2016 at 01:15 AM Greener Says:

Mayer Alter Says:

He "is a true tzaddik" like I'm a true Scotsman - even though my family is Litvak. Gimme a break - he's a mishugener; he is an embarrassment.to all frum people. And people like you who "believe" in him are pathetic.