Brooklyn, NY - Hikind Slams Post For Claiming Ocean Parkway Protests Are To Prevent Traffic Near His Home
Brooklyn, NY - Assemblyman Dov Hikind, who has spent the last several weeks fighting proposed changes to Ocean Parkway traffic, bashed the New York Post for irresponsible reporting after a story appeared today charging that Hikind only opposed the modifications because they would reroute traffic down his block.
As previously reported on VIN News (http://bit.ly/2hNmghw), Hikind has been leading the crusade to prevent a new traffic pattern that would prevent drivers from making right hand turns from Ocean Parkway onto Avenue J, Avenue P and Kings Highway. Instead, those wishing to access those streets would have to do so from the service road instead of the main thoroughfare.
Hikind lives on Avenue L and an unnamed source quoted by the New York Post said that Hikind is opposing the changes, which are intended to provide greater safety to pedestrians and cyclists, in order to prevent additional traffic from driving down his block.
“It’s one thing to selfishly disagree against changes for personal gain,” said the source in the Post article. “But it’s a whole different level of absurdity not to tell everyone the truth about why you are doing it.”
Hikind, who has represented the 48th Assembly District for more than 30 years called the allegations laughable. He noted that his home is several blocks away from both Avenue J and Avenue P, giving motorists little reason to drive past his home.
“To make this into something involving me is like a big lie,” Hikind told VIN News. “The entire community is up in arms about this, not just Dov Hikind.”
The fact that the Post relied on an unnamed source to present the charges against him was unprofessional, said Hikind.
“What is this, the Iran deal, that we can’t name names?” said Hikind. “If someone has something to say then let them say it, by name.”
Hikind also criticized Governor Cuomo’s office which has declined to comment publicly on the issue.
“Suddenly the governor has nothing to say?” said Hikind. “This involves hundreds of thousands of people. This is government at its worst.”
Diane Park, a spokesperson at the New York State Department of Transportation, said that the agency continues to work closely with area residents as the project proceeds.
“We’ve engaged the community throughout this project, meeting as recently as December 12, and we are committed to continuing to work with the community to ensure safety along this important corridor,” said Park.
More of today's headlines“New York - Three new subway stations along Manhattan's Second Avenue will finally open on New Year's Day, New York Governor Andrew Cuomo said on Monday, 10 years after...” New York - New York's 2nd Avenue Subway To Open Jan. 1, Fulfilling Decades-long Dream “Washington - There were many protesters but few faithless electors as Donald Trump won the Electoral College vote Monday — ensuring he will become America's 45th...” Washington - Trump Surpasses 270 Votes In Electoral College To Formally Win Presidency